inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you think there will be a new big trend in music?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/10/17 at 3:19 pm

So far the music's getting very boring. I'm waiting for the top 100 to change. When do you think this music will end?

Subject: Re: When do you think there will be a new big trend in music?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/10/17 at 3:32 pm

Maybe in late 2018 or 2019, but I guess you have to wait for it. :P

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/10/17 at 4:11 pm

I guess we're experiencing a similar case that happened in the 1970s. People were tired of hearing Disco and whatnot. Said they all sounded the same and or felt too electronic and commercial. So by 1979 the Demolition of Disco took place. Anyways I doubt we'll have another demolition night, but I'm sure that music will change. Music is one of those things that change either on its own due to change in interest or it's changed because of some real world event. We changed from Disco because of Demolition Night, we changed from Jazz because of WW2, New Jack Swing died because of Gangsta Rap and Grunge taking over etc etc.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the sound of music you hear today is most likely gonna be gone within the next few years due to changing interest. Either the Top Artists will get tired of producing today's kind of music and would want to do a new style or a new generation of music artists will jump in and shape the industry into their own image. This happened many times before and will happen again. Music is unprotected from change which is a good thing to me, I suppose. Now as for WHEN music will change? I expected a change sometime around 2020 or so (this is nothing more than a wild guess). I'm noticing that a lot of younger musical artists are jumping into the industry with their own spin on music (although a lot of them are still just small indie guys), but as time moves on they may end up joining in on the mainstream popularity.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/17 at 12:11 am

The change will happen this year. By July of this year, you will definitely notice a change in music. That's my prediction (and hope). I predict rock and R&B will find its way back into the charts, with a slightly different style. The teen pop you hear these days will fade away. Electropop/EDM will fade away as well. And there will be a small comeback of ballads. Pop music will be based on some funky nostalgic sounds from the 20th century. Rebellion rock may make a big comeback due to Trump being president and all. No more trap. Just good music please!

Written By: XYkid on 01/11/17 at 2:06 am

I seriously hope so, almost every song from this past year sounds the same.

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/11/17 at 6:24 am

I don't think rock will really return, if kids don't want guitars anymore.
check this:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=guitar

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 8:09 am

2022?

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/11/17 at 1:50 pm

check this:

Well at least Electro Swing may continue to rise or stay in interest according to this.
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Electro%20Swing

Maybe my vision of Jazz returning in the 2020s may become true! However, traditional Jazz just keeps on fading it seems.
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Jazz

Vaporwave may also end up having influence on music or at least remain in people's thoughts.
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Vaporwave

Sadly Vaporwave's subgenre Future Funk may end up dying in popular until further notice (shame as I prefer Future Funk over normal Vaporwave).
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Future%20Funk

Oh well. These are just google searches anyways. Who actually knows what the future holds.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/11/17 at 1:53 pm

2022?

Don't wanna wait that long. If I gotta listen to anymore horrible rap music or samey Electronic music I'm gonna freak out.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/11/17 at 2:38 pm

Well at least Electro Swing may continue to rise or stay in interest according to this.
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Electro%20Swing

Maybe my vision of Jazz returning in the 2020s may become true! However, traditional Jazz just keeps on fading it seems.
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Jazz

Vaporwave may also end up having influence on music or at least remain in people's thoughts.
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Vaporwave

Sadly Vaporwave's subgenre Future Funk may end up dying in popular until further notice (shame as I prefer Future Funk over normal Vaporwave).
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Future%20Funk

Oh well. These are just google searches anyways. Who actually knows what the future holds.

I could see electro swing having a moment in the sun but I doubt it'll last long. It'll probably be seen as too gimmicky pretty quickly.

F0u90QZLjl8

Vaporwave is currently enjoying internet culture popularity. I'm hoping artists will pull techniques from vaporwave. I doubt basic vaporwave will gain mainstream popularity. I'm afraid the only vaporwave that could become popular is vaportrap. It's not the worst thing. I like vaportrap instrumentals but rappers these days suck so hard.

9K-37eDt25I

Jazz in the indie rap/rnb community is having quite the resurgence. I don't know if it'll crossover.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/11/17 at 2:46 pm

If I'm gonna be honest, I must admit I am not a fan of vaporwave. I just could never get into it. But electro swing sounds awesome to me.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/17 at 3:01 pm

Don't wanna wait that long. If I gotta listen to anymore horrible rap music or samey Electronic music I'm gonna freak out.

They need to get back to using regular instruments.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/11/17 at 3:10 pm

If I'm gonna be honest, I must admit I am not a fan of vaporwave. I just could never get into it. But electro swing sounds awesome to me.

This is vaporwave at it's purist. IOwrDLoma2w

A lot of the vaporwave now is trash. I'm hoping one of the subgenres take over or go back to it's roots.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/11/17 at 3:17 pm

They need to get back to using regular instruments.

There's a million bands out there, fyi. Spotify, people, Spotify.

Electronic music is here to stay. The best you can hope for is a mix. The only way electronic music will die out is if we become a Neo-Luddite planet.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/11/17 at 3:23 pm

I imagine it will change this year that was always my prediction. But who knows to be honest?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/17 at 3:28 pm

Mainstream is pretty shallow right now!

Written By: Howard on 01/11/17 at 3:46 pm

There's a million bands out there, fyi. Spotify, people, Spotify.

Electronic music is here to stay. The best you can hope for is a mix. The only way electronic music will die out is if we become a Neo-Luddite planet.

You know the instruments they used in the early 80's?

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/11/17 at 9:39 pm

check this:

Are you seriously using google trends to try to predict the future? I don't know this post is supposed to be a joke, but google trends tracks the popularity of search terms. Just because less people are searching the word guitar does NOT mean that rock is dead. Yes, it's not in the mainstream at the moment, but you cannot predict the future based on current trends. Rock can still make a comeback in the future. There is nothing to suggest that this is impossible.

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/12/17 at 5:54 am

Are you seriously using google trends to try to predict the future? I don't know this post is supposed to be a joke, but google trends tracks the popularity of search terms. Just because less people are searching the word guitar does NOT mean that rock is dead. Yes, it's not in the mainstream at the moment, but you cannot predict the future based on current trends. Rock can still make a comeback in the future. There is nothing to suggest that this is impossible.

I know using past trends may not enhance any speculation about the future than one based on thin air, but I thought, if fewer people now show interest in guitars, then fewer people buy them, so there are fewer players (and teachers), so to me that is not a good foundation for a new expansion. That can go linear until being a niche thing or cyclical, because that's human nature, in which case it certainly will come back.

However, will it then be with the known instruments? Every era has its own instruments, also based on what technology is able to give. Therefore I still see more digitalization of music. I hope craftmanship will not diminish.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/12/17 at 10:19 am

I guess we're experiencing a similar case that happened in the 1970s. People were tired of hearing Disco and whatnot. Said they all sounded the same and or felt too electronic and commercial. So by 1979 the Demolition of Disco took place. Anyways I doubt we'll have another demolition night, but I'm sure that music will change. Music is one of those things that change either on its own due to change in interest or it's changed because of some real world event. We changed from Disco because of Demolition Night, we changed from Jazz because of WW2, New Jack Swing died because of Gangsta Rap and Grunge taking over etc etc.

I think it's time to start planning for an Ariana Grande demolition night.  That could be so amazing.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/17 at 10:27 am

I think it's time to start planning for an Ariana Grande demolition night.  That could be so amazing.

Yeah but how would that work because people don't buy records/CDs anymore haha.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/17 at 3:46 pm

Yeah but how would that work because people don't buy records/CDs anymore haha.

bring all the records on the 30th anniversary and set them afire.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/17 at 4:35 pm

bring all the records on the 30th anniversary and set them afire.

Yeah gather every single Ariana Grande disk you can find and blow it up. XD

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/12/17 at 4:46 pm

I could see electro swing having a moment in the sun but I doubt it'll last long. It'll probably be seen as too gimmicky pretty quickly.

F0u90QZLjl8

Vaporwave is currently enjoying internet culture popularity. I'm hoping artists will pull techniques from vaporwave. I doubt basic vaporwave will gain mainstream popularity. I'm afraid the only vaporwave that could become popular is vaportrap. It's not the worst thing. I like vaportrap instrumentals but rappers these days suck so hard.

9K-37eDt25I

Jazz in the indie rap/rnb community is having quite the resurgence. I don't know if it'll crossover.

This is vaporwave at it's purist. IOwrDLoma2w

A lot of the vaporwave now is trash. I'm hoping one of the subgenres take over or go back to it's roots.

Vaporwave's future is hard to decide. As time  moves on we may end up in a world where internet culture and real world mainstream culture would be the exact same. So if Vaporwave is still popular later on then you can expect to see commercial albums at stores. However, what I think will actually happen is that musicians will pull ideas/techniques from Vaporwave for their music. I can see Vaporwave ideas such as the dreamy vibe and the colorful aesthetic being used within future pop culture.

Although it's a shame that I can't seem to enjoy mid 2010s Vaporwave unless it's Future Funk (I can see Future Funk and VaporTrap making the Top 100 charts). I liked Vaporwave that existed from 2010-2014, but In terms of music from 2015-2016 they don't interest me (again this is where Future Funk comes in as it started in 2012 and is still pretty good).

As for Electro Swing I agree with the idea of it being popular, but dying out like New Jack Swing or something (both of these genres were popular, but died due to most considering it as gimmicky due to Electro Swing and New Jack Swing being a mixture of two unrelated genres). But again who knows. I'd be surprised if the 2020s had both Electro Swing AND Vaporwave as popular genres even if the popularity only lasted for the early 2020s.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/17 at 10:50 pm

So these are some of the top trending songs of January 2017. Some of these may become more popular later on in the first half of 2017. I'm afraid it does sound the same as music in 2016, what if this EDM sound that got popular last year stays until the rest of the decade? I would like for something new but so far it doesn't seem like it's going away. It seems like those hooks with the weird repetitive electronic noises has become the trend. Some of these aren't bad though.

1-xGerv5FOk

_dK2tDK9grQ

ftG3NTqWzAk

6X_C9E55CfM

67rB95_3j90

Written By: bchris02 on 01/12/17 at 11:39 pm

So these are some of the top trending songs of January 2017. Some of these may become more popular later on in the first half of 2017. I'm afraid it does sound the same as music in 2016, what if this EDM sound that got popular last year stays until the rest of the decade? I would like for something new but so far it doesn't seem like it's going away. It seems like those hooks with the weird repetitive electronic noises has become the trend. Some of these aren't bad though.

1-xGerv5FOk

_dK2tDK9grQ

ftG3NTqWzAk

6X_C9E55CfM

67rB95_3j90

Yeah the mid '10s sound is definitely still alive and well.  When it changes though it will be somewhat sudden, over the course of a year or two like late 2008-2010.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/12/17 at 11:48 pm

Yeah the mid '10s sound is definitely still alive and well.  When it changes though it will be somewhat sudden, over the course of a year or two like late 2008-2010.

Yeah I'm afraid you may be right. Nothing is for sure and I still hope we get change this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a change until 2019 or if the change is very gradual.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/17 at 3:02 am

I am hoping a return to classical music style, but I certainly doubt it!

Written By: Howard on 01/13/17 at 7:11 am

Yeah gather every single Ariana Grande disk you can find and blow it up. XD

They used to do that on Disco Demolition Night July 12th, 1979 so why not bring them all at the 30th anniversary?

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/13/17 at 7:15 am

The change will happen this year. By July of this year, you will definitely notice a change in music. That's my prediction (and hope). I predict rock and R&B will find its way back into the charts, with a slightly different style. The teen pop you hear these days will fade away. Electropop/EDM will fade away as well. And there will be a small comeback of ballads. Pop music will be based on some funky nostalgic sounds from the 20th century. Rebellion rock may make a big comeback due to Trump being president and all. No more trap. Just good music please!

I've been finding good trap instrumentals lately but I'd be fine with scrapping it altogether if it'll end its current reign. :P

Paper Planes and D.A.N.C.E and Time to Pretend is when I noticed a shift back in 2008. The latter songs weren't as huge as Paper Planes but they are my reference points for when I started to notice a break away from the rest of the 2000s.

Trust me, whatever that's about to hit it big is already here. It might be big outside the United States instead of inside it. Unfortunately, the music that's gonna dominate the charts this year were likely released between August and December of 2016.

Check for new replies or respond here...