inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ringling Bros circus to close 'Greatest Show on Earth' after 146 years

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/17 at 5:37 am

The curtain is coming down on the most celebrated circus in the US, the "Greatest Show on Earth", run by Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey.
After 146 years in the business, the owners said declining tickets sales and high operating costs were to blame.
Activists who campaigned for decades against the travelling circus's animal acts welcomed the news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38627073

Subject: Re: Ringling Bros circus to close 'Greatest Show on Earth' after 146 years

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/17 at 7:38 am

Hopefully another company will buy the franchise and keep the tradition going, perhaps on a smaller scale.

Subject: Re: Ringling Bros circus to close 'Greatest Show on Earth' after 146 years

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/17 at 12:05 pm

I saw them at Madison Square Garden when I was about 6. I remember I had been sick and was afraid that I wouldn't get to go. My parents allowed me to go as long as I stayed quiet. I remember riding the train down with a blanket over me. I also remember my souvenir-an inflatable elephant I called Queenie (I think it was from a movie about a elephant with that name). I don't know what happened to that elephant.

Cat 

Written By: mqg96 on 01/18/17 at 4:31 pm

I remember going to one circus in Atlanta when I was 9 or 10 years old. It was pretty fun at that age watching all the animals and acrobatic tricks on the stage.

Written By: gibbo on 01/21/17 at 11:24 pm

I saw them at Madison Square Garden when I was about 6. I remember I had been sick and was afraid that I wouldn't get to go. My parents allowed me to go as long as I stayed quiet. I remember riding the train down with a blanket over me. I also remember my souvenir-an inflatable elephant I called Queenie (I think it was from a movie about a elephant with that name). I don't know what happened to that elephant.

Cat

Strange ... The Melbourne zoo had an elephant named Quennie for about 40 years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/17 at 10:50 am

Strange ... The Melbourne zoo had an elephant named Quennie for about 40 years.

I did a little research after I made that post and the movie was called "The Boy Who Stole The Elephant" starring Mark Lester (who played Oliver in the the movie of the same name.)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/22/17 at 2:56 pm

So now where will kids go for entertainment? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/17 at 3:31 pm

So now where will kids go for entertainment? ???

Written By: gibbo on 01/23/17 at 4:12 am

I did a little research after I made that post and the movie was called "The Boy Who Stole The Elephant" starring Mark Lester (who played Oliver in the the movie of the same name.)

Cat

I think I may have seen that film many years ago. I'll find it and see...

I remember watching another tv series in the 60's (maybe early 70's) called Meyer. It was about two kids who rode this elephant around India (an Indian boy and an English boy). Meyer (the elephant) saved their bacon many times. You probably didn't get the show in the U.S.  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/23/17 at 2:50 pm

an online circus?

Check for new replies or respond here...