inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why isn't music good yet?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/22/17 at 12:12 pm

I don't know how people put up with this bad music. Why isn't anyone changing it?

Subject: Re: Why isn't music good yet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/22/17 at 12:16 pm

Haven't we got a lot of these threads? This brings nothing new to the table.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/17 at 2:53 pm

I don't know how people put up with this bad music. Why isn't anyone changing it?

Who should change it?  ???

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/17 at 4:44 pm

Y'all need Godify in your lives.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/22/17 at 4:47 pm

2017 has just started, what did you expect?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/25/17 at 6:36 pm

WTF? Music is good. Yes, mainstream pop music is good. Why am I the only person who thinks so?  :-, Neil Young, etc.), you've got a point.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/17 at 6:55 pm

WTF? Music is good. Yes, mainstream pop music is good. Why am I the only person who thinks so?  :-, Neil Young, etc.), you've got a point.

Music from 2005 to 2009 was the pits!  8)  8)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/25/17 at 7:10 pm

Y'all need Godify in your lives.

I tried using "Godify" and it doesn't have the exact version of Huey Lewis' "Hip to be Square".

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/25/17 at 7:12 pm

WTF? Music is good. Yes, mainstream pop music is good. Why am I the only person who thinks so?  :-Mainstream pop is more than just Justin Bieber. Have you heard Halsey? The Chainsmokers? Daya? Britney Spears? Ariana Grande? Taylor Swift? Adele? The Weeknd? Selena Gomez? Jason Derulo? YG & Nipsey Hussle's "F Donald Trump?"

Also, how old are you? I'm turning 31 on Saturday, and I love most of this mainstream pop stuff; better than the (largely) crap we had in the 2000s, but still not quite as good as the 90s and earlier.

If you're asking why pop music hasn't evolved into the socially-conscious/political behemoth it was in the 60s-70s (CCR, CSN, Neil Young, etc.), you've got a point.

Nope, I hate all those artists. Mainstream music is so restrictive right now, that's why I can't stand it. It's mostly Trap, Indie/Hipster/Droney Pop, or EDM. There's nothing fun to listen to on the radio. In past decades, there was something for everybody. But now, mainstream music is only geared towards specific tastes. Heck pop culture in the 2010s in general is geared towards specific tastes. And those that don't like the very few options offered by pop culture, are completely left out.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/25/17 at 7:16 pm

Music from 2005 to 2009 was the pits!  8)  8)

More like 2001 to 2008.

Nope, I hate all those artists. Mainstream music is so restrictive right now, that's why I can't stand it. It's mostly Trap, Indie/Hipster/Droney Pop, or EDM. There's nothing fun to listen to on the radio. In past decades, there was something for everybody. But now, mainstream music is only geared towards specific tastes. Heck pop culture in the 2010s in general is geared towards specific tastes. And those that don't like the very few options offered by pop culture, are completely left out.

Every decade in general is geared towards specific tastes. Hell, even the 2000s had that kind of logic, with crunk rap/alternative rock/teen pop being huge back then. It depends on who you talk to. I only say stuff about the 2000s, because it was my childhood decade. I never really experienced before the 2000s, so I was barely alive in the 90s.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/17 at 7:24 pm

More like 2001 to 2008.

Every decade in general is geared towards specific tastes. Hell, even the 2000s had that kind of logic, with crunk rap/alternative rock/teen pop being huge back then. It depends on who you talk to. I only say stuff about the 2000s, because it was my childhood decade. I never really experienced before the 2000s, so I was barely alive in the 90s.

Bush years!  :D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/25/17 at 7:27 pm

Visit my thread on the topic to learn more:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54729.0

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/17 at 7:50 pm

I tried using "Godify" and it doesn't have the exact version of Huey Lewis' "Hip to be Square".

Which version is that?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/25/17 at 7:55 pm

Which version is that?

The original version released in 1987.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/17 at 7:55 pm

http://cliparts.co/cliparts/5cR/rab/5cRrabBzi.png

I can't press the play buttonnn!!!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:( 

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/17 at 8:01 pm

The original version released in 1987.

It was released in 1986!

You mean this version right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg

Because Godify has it. https://open.spotify.com/track/648BMGrt98kUbLo24A4vgj

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/26/17 at 4:21 am

More like 2001 to 2008.

I think you mean 1991 to 1996. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/17 at 4:40 am

I have given up on modern day music, but I will let you know if I hear anything that catches my attention.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/17 at 3:54 pm

I do like mainstream music to an extent.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/26/17 at 5:23 pm

Interesting.  I am almost the same age as you.  I liked music for the most part during the 2000s (though the mid 2000s was a little but of a lul).  I think it peaked in the late 2000s and early 2010s.  It has been steadily going downhill since 2013.  While there are still some mainstream songs that I like, they were getting fewer and fewer each year and the songs seem to hit me less in terms of actually feeling like it is my music for my generation.  Today's music is by and large for people currently in their teens and early twenties.  While I can relate to some of it, a lot of it seems to much like what was on Radio Disney during the 2000s.  This is especially true for anything by Ariana Grande or her copycats.

Statistics show that most people start falling out of touch with pop music in their late twenties before completely phasing out of it in their early thirties.  This seems to be right in line with my experience.  Why that is, I don't know.  I definitely don't want to be one of those people that ages into AC and who listens to the same stuff I liked during my teens for the rest of my life.  However, that seems to be what is happening.  My personal life has also been pretty bad since 2013 so that may have some deal to do with it.

I could easily see myself getting back into Top 40 if we started getting edgier stuff.  I would like to see another singer/songwriter era with songs dealing with the darker, angsty side of present culture. 

Early 2010s dance pop by artists like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha were much better and quite a bit edgier than today's "safe, conservative" songs by Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/26/17 at 6:04 pm

It was released in 1986!

You mean this version right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg

Because Godify has it. https://open.spotify.com/track/648BMGrt98kUbLo24A4vgj

You know, I'm proven myself wrong when I searched a Sam Fonteyn album (released in 1972) on Spotify. So... I'm not that surprised.

I think you mean 1991 to 1996. :P

Bruh, I don't have the same tastes as you. Although, the early 90s were pretty neat at the time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/26/17 at 7:16 pm

I just remembered the South Park episode about getting older and the music literally sounding like s***, lol. That episode was from 2011 when dubstep was popular.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/26/17 at 7:49 pm

I just remembered the South Park episode about getting older and the music literally sounding like s***, lol. That episode was from 2011 when dubstep was popular.

Isn't that the episode where Stan mistakenly founds out he has Aspergers? Man, I hated that episode back then. But nowadays, I don't take it that seriously.

Written By: Looney Toon on 01/27/17 at 12:24 pm

Everyone complaining about mainstream music and here I am listening to Vaporwave. Funny as the indie music scene seems to get better and better in terms quality and diversity. Maybe we'll enter an age where the mainstream music industry takes some characteristics from indie producers who make tracks in their bed room. All it takes is some music knowledge and a DAW program (program you make your music in).

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/27/17 at 1:37 pm

Isn't that the episode where Stan mistakenly founds out he has Aspergers? Man, I hated that episode back then. But nowadays, I don't take it that seriously.

Yeah, that was the 2nd part of the two part episode. The first part was when Stan started feeling depressed and couldn't enjoy anything. Meanwhile Randy was trying to act young and pretended to like the dubstep music.

Speaking of South Park, it seems like that show just has not been funny lately. I can relate to "Memberberries" though, which really reflects my mood the last few years.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/27/17 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, that was the 2nd part of the two part episode. The first part was when Stan started feeling depressed and couldn't enjoy anything. Meanwhile Randy was trying to act young and pretended to like the dubstep music.

The first part I hated even more, since it was depressing seeing everything looking like sh*t. Especially when his family moved to a different town.

Speaking of South Park, it seems like that show just has not been funny lately. I can relate to "Memberberries" though, which really reflects my mood the last few years.

I think of how they make a story arc of the show since Season 18 makes it a bit unpleasant. Although, the Memberberries were kinda cool.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/17 at 2:28 pm

Music has always been good.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/28/17 at 9:23 pm

I have given up on modern day music, but I will let you know if I hear anything that catches my attention.

What are you into?

Written By: Howard on 01/29/17 at 2:32 pm

What are you into?

I'm into the "oldies" music.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/17 at 12:22 am

Mainstream music will never get better. I think it will just change, which is good but I doubt it will ever be "good".

Subject: Re: Why isn't music good anymore?

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 01/31/17 at 1:25 am

There are good and bad songs from everything, it all matters on personal taste on what makes a good or bad song to you.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/31/17 at 2:56 am

Because people care more about image these days!  ::)

Subject: Re: Why isn't music good anymore?

Written By: Howard on 01/31/17 at 2:27 pm

There are good and bad songs from everything, it all matters on personal taste on what makes a good or bad song to you.

I agree.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/17 at 6:02 pm

Mainstream music will never get better. I think it will just change, which is good but I doubt it will ever be "good".

Truly spoken like someone who hasn't heard Beyoncé and Sia's latésT. Educate yoselves, heathens, for there is no true salvation for those who remain wilfully ignorant of the gospel!

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/31/17 at 6:13 pm

Truly spoken like someone who hasn't heard Beyoncé and Sia's latésT. Educate yoselves, heathens, for there is no true salvation for those who remain wilfully ignorant of the gospel!

I never liked either of those artists.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/31/17 at 6:20 pm

Frankly, there are other artists that probably make better music than them. Hell, even Enimem makes better than them, especially if he isn't as great as he was in the early 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/17 at 6:23 pm

I don't know what music you like  :-X ;D

Frankly, there are other artists that probably make better music than them. Hell, even Enimem makes better than them, especially if he isn't as great as he was in the early 2000s.

He hasn't had an album since 2013 though.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/17 at 6:38 pm

I don't know what music you like  :-X ;D

He hasn't had an album since 2013 though.

He's releasing an album this year.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/17 at 2:55 pm

I like Beyonce's music but never heard of Sia.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/17 at 3:47 pm

There really have not been many good songs after Sheena Easton released her classic Sugar Walls.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...