inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s nostalgia still in?

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/01/17 at 9:48 pm

As of last summer I was noticing things like denim jackets on guys and overalls on women...Is 90s nostalgia still in force where you're at?

Subject: Re: 90s nostalgia still in?

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/01/17 at 9:50 pm

Yes, they're still rebooting and rehashing 90s movies/shows as they were in 2015.

The "nostalgia" for a certain decade tends to span the entire decade. For instance, the entire 00s had 80s nostalgia.

That being said though, I'm starting to notice early-mid 00s nostalgia creeping in, as we've mentioned in some threads here. But it's not "replacing" the 90s nostalgia, just sitting comfortably alongside it.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/02/17 at 2:43 am

Yeah, 90s nostalgia isn't dying yet. It's just early and mid 00s nostalgia is rising up in everyone's nostalgia.

Written By: stefanvh on 03/02/17 at 1:26 pm

Yeah, but early 2000s nostalgia is definitely on the rise, particularly since 2015.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/02/17 at 4:39 pm

Yeah, it's still in; however, it will be over soon since the 90s nostalgia has existed since about 2007-08. I would give it a year before the 00s nostalgia becomes mainstream.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/02/17 at 4:56 pm

Yes and no. 90s nostalgia is still mainstream, but it wasn't up to the point where the 2000s was to blame on everything. Back in 2013/2014, everyone thought the 2000s were complete sh*t (except for 2000-2003) and that the mid 2000s started today's reckoning. As somebody who witnessed this on previous forums, it was a terrible thing to see it as. Although, it was around the time when 2000-2005 were only 10-15 years old and everyone didn't care about them entirely.

Nowadays, you could see tons of people on the Internet praising both the 90s and early-mid 2000s without any circumstances. Especially when we have someone like Trump as president of the U.S., it proven that not every president with political experience (at least in the U.S.) was the worst person. Even with that, we have social media controlling most people's lives with what they think. But it does raise several questions on why people are instantly nostalgic for certain eras, which mainly answer to their personal lives (like me).

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/03/17 at 3:27 pm

It is, but I already see some early 2000's nostalgia popping up (like that JG Wentworth commercial with the boy bands for example).

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/04/17 at 8:25 am

The new Nintendo Switch switched back to cartridges, a thing of the 90's.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/04/17 at 8:31 am

Mini-cartridge or mini-chip. In fact mini-chips inside computers or cards are starting to become common and will soon be a huge part of our society.

To be fair Nintendo handhelds have always done small cartridges, and the Switch is supposed to be a console/handheld hybrid which is part of Nintendo's plan to save their company.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 9:04 am

Not really. They aren't the same cartridges that people used during the 90s. They're like SD cards. The last Nintendo console that used actual cartridges were the Game Boy Advance, which hold about 256KB of external memory, compared to the Switch's 32 GB flash memory.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/04/17 at 4:31 pm

I'm definitely starting to feel the 2000's nostalgia starting to creep in and I think 90's nostalgia is weakening, It's still strong but starting to weaken. It's not as strong as it was in say 2014 in my opinion.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 4:37 pm

I'm definitely starting to feel the 2000's nostalgia starting to creep in and I think 90's nostalgia is weakening, It's still strong but starting to weaken. It's not as strong as it was in say 2014 in my opinion.

I think early 2000s nostalgia is more relevant than 90s nostalgia, even though it's still mainstream for quite a while.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/05/17 at 10:17 am

Within the next few years 00's nostalgia will become more mainstream than 90's nostalgia. Especially since by the 2020s most of the general youth (who a lot of companies and others within the general media like to target) wouldn't be old enough to have 90's nostalgia. So eventually 90's nostalgia falls into a lesser mainstream status and 00's becomes huge. This will soon repeat again as we get closer to the '30s and 10's nostalgia kicks it way in.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/05/17 at 10:59 am

Within the next few years 00's nostalgia will become more mainstream than 90's nostalgia. Especially since by the 2020s most of the general youth (who a lot of companies and others within the general media like to target) wouldn't be old enough to have 90's nostalgia. So eventually 90's nostalgia falls into a lesser mainstream status and 00's becomes huge. This will soon repeat again as we get closer to the '30s and 10's nostalgia kicks it way in.

Can't wait for this.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/17 at 12:44 pm

Yes, '90s nostalgia is still a fairly big deal right now, and I don't think that's too surprising. Remember, while '90s teens and twentysomethings may now be middle aged, us "'90s kids" are roughly between the ages of 25-34 right now, meaning that we still have a fairly large cultural presence in 2017.

Not to mention the fact that we represent a sizable majority of YouTube content creators, which is why you still see so many videos waxing nostalgic about how great '90s cartoons were on that site. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...