inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone still care for Nintendo?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/02/17 at 8:53 pm

I know it seems like much but since the Nintendo Switch is coming out tomorrow, I don't see why people are getting excited over it. Especially with people like Slowpoke, who tends to take it seriously, despite the fact that this would make Nintendo look like crap (technological wise). Do I really need to see something that makes every Nintendo console look superior, including the original NES? It seems like the Switch proves that Nintendo would make anything miserably to keep their fanboys up and running, even if it has to deal with switching to cartridges after 15 years.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/66/7f/95667ff99bbaa9c349a3d4230916f052.gif

Subject: Re: Does anyone still care for Nintendo?

Written By: 2001 on 03/02/17 at 9:23 pm

http://i.imgur.com/OxSZNI0.png

Written By: annimal on 03/02/17 at 9:33 pm

Looks like I'd find the bathroom more interesting.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/02/17 at 9:34 pm

To answer the simple question.... no.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/02/17 at 10:06 pm

I agree completely. To be honest, I really don't see what's so exciting about the Switch. It's just another over-hyped, gimmicky console and I really have no desire to spend my hard-earned cash on it. I was a bit excited for the new Zelda game, but I feel like my interest has really diminished.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/03/17 at 6:34 am

http://i.imgur.com/OxSZNI0.png

Three other games have better scores than the Zelda game made for the Switch. I might even agree that GTA IV (despite coming out in 2008) is greater than that.

I agree completely. To be honest, I really don't see what's so exciting about the Switch. It's just another over-hyped, gimmicky console and I really have no desire to spend my hard-earned cash on it. I was a bit excited for the new Zelda game, but I feel like my interest has really diminished.

Same here. Ever since the Switch was announced, every Nintendo fanboy (including Slowpoke) keep saying it's the greatest thing ever, despite being the least powerful in the next generation. By that, only one teraflop is used by the Switch, while other consoles have at least more than two to three teraflops.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/03/17 at 6:42 am

I am happy that Nintendo seems to be going in a direction that is closer to how they were during the NES to NGC days with the Nintendo Switch. They seem to cater towards the hardcare fans over casual ones. But to be honest I don't have the same amount of hype and interest in Nintendo anymore. I am excited for some Switch games, though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/03/17 at 6:58 am

I am happy that Nintendo seems to be going in a direction that is closer to how they were during the NES to NGC days with the Nintendo Switch. They seem to cater towards the hardcare fans over casual ones. But to be honest I don't have the same amount of hype and interest in Nintendo anymore. I am excited for some Switch games, though.

I barely had hype for Nintendo since they released the Wii U. It's actually sad for me to see Nintendo regressing into the days where people used cartridges, which nobody in the video game industry uses. It's like they are geniunely stuck in the early-mid 90s for sure.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/17 at 7:54 am

The only time I cared for Nintendo was back in the 1980's.

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/17 at 8:18 am

Three other games have better scores than the Zelda game made for the Switch. I might even agree that GTA IV (despite coming out in 2008) is greater than that.

Out of how many? Nintendo won. Deal with it!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/03/17 at 9:33 am

Out of how many? Nintendo won. Deal with it!

Dude, nobody really cares about it. They just promote it so Nintendo fanboys won't shut up about it.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/03/17 at 10:00 am

Not really. Nintendo doesn't have that magic it used to. When I think of Nintendo, I think of its franchises in their glory days, Earthbound, Super Mario 64, Super Smash. Melee. Something happened to Nintendo after the Gamecube.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/03/17 at 10:07 am

One of the reasons I don't like review scores is due to bias and fanboyism. Zelda Breath of Wild has a 98 on Metacritic, but do you honestly think it would've had the same praise if it were some other thing? Instead of it being a Zelda game what if it was just called "Breath of Wild" (lacking the Zelda part) and being a completely different game. It would play like Breath of Wild, but have different characters and stuff.

The reason I ask this is because of the game Hyrule Warriors. Warrior games such as Dynasty Warriors or One Piece Warriors tend to get criticized and ignored, but as soon as the series was given a Zelda twist it apparently got a ton of hype and praise. Now this isn't me trying to hate on Breath of Wild and I'm happy with Nintendo's work for the game, but I really don't trust gaming reviews/articles in a lot of situations. As "professional" as they try to make themselves be (which is silly when you really think about it) they still show their fanboyism/bias for a series which effects their final scores. There was even proof given a while back that game companies actually pay for better reviews and get websites to pander to them. Nintendo has done this, but not in a more low-key kind of way.

Although in the end none of this may matter to the individual. I may still get a Switch as I want to see the new things Nintendo put into the system. Although I am a bit curious to see how the 9th gen will progress. People have been criticizing Nintendo since the Wii days (they've been made fun of since the Genesis days, but around the 7th gen it's gotten real bad due to Nintendo and their focus on casual gamers) and now I think Nintendo may give themselves a better appearance this time.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/03/17 at 10:25 am

The jury will be out for the Nintendo Switch by the end of this year when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey have been released for some time. That'll give us a clear look whether the Switch does well or not. Also, any updates on the 3rd party games?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/03/17 at 11:01 am

The jury will be out for the Nintendo Switch by the end of this year when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey have been released for some time. That'll give us a clear look whether the Switch does well or not. Also, any updates on the 3rd party games?

It could probably have third party support.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-full-third-party-support/amp/

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/17 at 11:07 am

Dude, nobody really cares about it. They just promote it so Nintendo fanboys won't shut up about it.

Err... Sorry, your pronoun usage isn't clear to me. Cares about what? Promote what? Shut up about what? What is "it"?  ???

One of the reasons I don't like review scores is due to bias and fanboyism. Zelda Breath of Wild has a 98 on Metacritic, but do you honestly think it would've had the same praise if it were some other thing? Instead of it being a Zelda game what if it was just called "Breath of Wild" (lacking the Zelda part) and being a completely different game. It would play like Breath of Wild, but have different characters and stuff.

The reason I ask this is because of the game Hyrule Warriors. Warrior games such as Dynasty Warriors or One Piece Warriors tend to get criticized and ignored, but as soon as the series was given a Zelda twist it apparently got a ton of hype and praise. Now this isn't me trying to hate on Breath of Wild and I'm happy with Nintendo's work for the game, but I really don't trust gaming reviews/articles in a lot of situations. As "professional" as they try to make themselves be (which is silly when you really think about it) they still show their fanboyism/bias for a series which effects their final scores. There was even proof given a while back that game companies actually pay for better reviews and get websites to pander to them. Nintendo has done this, but not in a more low-key kind of way.

Although in the end none of this may matter to the individual. I may still get a Switch as I want to see the new things Nintendo put into the system. Although I am a bit curious to see how the 9th gen will progress. People have been criticizing Nintendo since the Wii days (they've been made fun of since the Genesis days, but around the 7th gen it's gotten real bad due to Nintendo and their focus on casual gamers) and now I think Nintendo may give themselves a better appearance this time.

I see what you mean, and I agree there's probably a bias. I mean Skyward Sword has a 92 and that was trash. You can't say for sure though until you play yourself (and have your life changed forever) 8) You should read the reviews though, it's more than just well polished. It's a game changer! An example for all open world's game to follow!

The Switch might just end up being trash but Nintendo delivered with Zelda! Just goes to show who you can trust to deliver quality in the gaming industry in 2017. You can buy a used Switch, play Zelda, sell used Switch. But the memory of playing the GOAT game will stay forever  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/03/17 at 11:49 am

Yes, I love, I care.

https://img.clipartfest.com/85f607217f863d233ec3739d02eb6e36_free-hearts-clipart-free-heart-clipart-free-use_350-331.jpeg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/03/17 at 1:31 pm

Err... Sorry, your pronoun usage isn't clear to me. Cares about what? Promote what? Shut up about what? What is "it"?  ???

When I meant by "it", I meant the Nintendo Switch. I detest the Nintendo Switch already, since it does nothing by hiding Nintendo fanboys from the truth. They have done nothing but regress their market by bringing in cartridges, which will bring barely any sales towards the console. Even if it's a handheld hybrid, it wouldn't be great since it's not inspiring compared to the NES, SNES, N64, and the Wii.

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/17 at 1:44 pm

When I meant by "it", I meant the Nintendo Switch. I detest the Nintendo Switch already, since it does nothing by hiding Nintendo fanboys from the truth. They have done nothing but regress their market by bringing in cartridges, which will bring barely any sales towards the console. Even if it's a handheld hybrid, it wouldn't be great since it's not inspiring compared to the NES, SNES, N64, and the Wii.

I don't think anyone cares about the cartridges. They hold more storage than a DVD and have faster loading times and have better portability. It's not the same as an N64 cartridge, it's more similar to an SD card with very fast write/read speeds.  I have heard and agree with many complaints about the Switch but no one but you cares about the cartridges LOL. Although one thing I have heard is that they taste VERY bad and it's difficult to remove the aftertaste. So, idk, don't put cartridges in your mouth.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/03/17 at 2:16 pm

I don't think anyone cares about the cartridges. They hold more storage than a DVD and have faster loading times and have better portability. It's not the same as an N64 cartridge, it's more similar to an SD card with very fast write/read speeds.  I have heard and agree with many complaints about the Switch but no one but you cares about the cartridges LOL. Although one thing I have heard is that they taste VERY bad and it's difficult to remove the aftertaste. So, idk, don't put cartridges in your mouth.

*sigh*

I'm gonna be honest. The only reason why I complained so much about the Switch was that I never was a true Nintendo fan. I only grew up with the Wii and DS, as they were treated more as casual consoles. I never really cared about Nintendo that much, since I was WAY too young to experience the 1st-5th generations. I never knew about non-PC gaming during the 6th generation (early-mid 2000s), so I didn't know what Nintendo was. I actually thought that Pokemon was made by 4Kids, because I didn't knew their games actually existed yet. Most of the time, I grew up with watching TV and playing on my family's computer.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/03/17 at 3:00 pm

I still care for it....sometimes when my sister comes down from Boston, we get all gamer nostalgic! And we play the Mario games for Nintendo. We actually have a game system that is both Nintendo and Super Nintendo in one! It is soo fun, nothing else quite like it. :)

Written By: Howard on 03/03/17 at 4:24 pm

Not really. Nintendo doesn't have that magic it used to. When I think of Nintendo, I think of its franchises in their glory days, Earthbound, Super Mario 64, Super Smash. Melee. Something happened to Nintendo after the Gamecube.

When I think of Nintendo I think of games like Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong and Legend Of Zelda.

Written By: annimal on 03/03/17 at 8:19 pm

^ same here

Written By: mqg96 on 03/03/17 at 8:24 pm

When I think of Nintendo I think of games like Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong and Legend Of Zelda.

When I think of Nintendo I think of anything Mario or Pokemon related.

Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario have separate games but I consider those be secondary apart of the Mario universe.

Written By: 2001 on 03/04/17 at 2:06 am

*sigh*

I'm gonna be honest. The only reason why I complained so much about the Switch was that I never was a true Nintendo fan. I only grew up with the Wii and DS, as they were treated more as casual consoles. I never really cared about Nintendo that much, since I was WAY too young to experience the 1st-5th generations. I never knew about non-PC gaming during the 6th generation (early-mid 2000s), so I didn't know what Nintendo was. I actually thought that Pokemon was made by 4Kids, because I didn't knew their games actually existed yet. Most of the time, I grew up with watching TV and playing on my family's computer.

O_o; hmm, the DS was one of Nintendo's best so you didn't miss out on that at least. xD

Moi, I had an NES when I was a little kid. Played the sh*t out of that big thing. My dad teaching me how to play Duck Hunt is one of my earliest memories.

Then when I was 5 I got my first console and my first handheld: the N64 and the Gameboy Color. Let me tell you how Nintendo delivered that year with Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie and Pokémon Red! But that wasn't the important part. The important part was the party games the N64 was pumping out back then, the Y2K era was the peak of local multiplayer gaming. I made so many instant friends over that console. I'd play with my friends for hours, and we'd sleep over at each other's houses because we were having too much fun to think about going back home. Seriously, having the latest new hot multiplayer game would make you the most popular kid in the neighbourhood for a week and everyone would want to come over to your house.

When the Gamecube came around it subsided a bit, but there was still Smash Bros. Melee which is greatest of all time party game and Mario Kart DD. Classics!

Now, I was a loser and had no friends throughout middle school, but I remember in the first week of high school, I was being my typical loner self and busted out my DS and started playing by myself. A girl, who's now one of my best friends, comes up to me and asks me what I'm playing. I tell her Mario Kart DS. She drags me to her lunch table and that's where I met a bunch of other gamers (mostly Nintendo fans) and they were the first friends I had in years. I played DS/PSP with them practically every lunch break up until I graduated and we'd hang out together all the time, it was like a mini-childhood revival.  :D

Then I head off to uni, and that's when Nintendo would deliver again with the 3DS. That system was the easiest way to make friends. You just go to your student lounge, bust out your 3DS, and sooner or later someone with a 3DS will come out and ask if you wanna play. Nintendo won, most my friends are Nintendo fans.

Now, at work. I use to be super shy and super reserved. There was a PS4 in the break room, but nada, I sucked at all the games. I told them I was only good at Nintendo games, so the next week they get a Wii U and we start playing Smash and Kart during our breaks, and that really helped me break out of my shell and be more social with my coworkers. The PS4 collects dust, the Wii U is all anyone wants to play anymore! Nintendo won again. Talent always wins!

And now with the Switch, your friends don't even need to buy it. You have a Switch, you bring it on over with your controllers, and you can all play, anytime, anywhere! Nintendo is taking gaming socialization to the next level.

The moral of the story is simple.

Nintendo is fun. Nintendo is friendship. Nintendo is love.

https://img.clipartfest.com/85f607217f863d233ec3739d02eb6e36_free-hearts-clipart-free-heart-clipart-free-use_350-331.jpeg

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/04/17 at 5:43 am

I never got a Nintendo. My Atari 2600 is still going strong.  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/04/17 at 7:23 am

I never got a Nintendo. My Atari 2600 is still going strong.  8)

Do you still play it and what games do you still play? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 9:00 am

O_o; hmm, the DS was one of Nintendo's best so you didn't miss out on that at least. xD

I honestly played my DS more than my Wii. It was quite fun playing New Super Mario Bros, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS, and Pokemon White. However, when I got the 3DS around 2012, I started to play with my Nintendo consoles less. It was also around that time when I was mildly depressed, and I was obsessed with MLB stats. So I would go play Ken Griffey Jr's Nintendo games on emulators, while having Pokemon as my sub interest.

Moi, I had an NES when I was a little kid. Played the sh*t out of that big thing. My dad teaching me how to play Duck Hunt is one of my earliest memories.

My dad had a NES, but he only had Mario Bros. (the original arcade game). When I found it on my grandma's basement, it didn't have any AV cables, nor did it have a power supply. So I was just looking at a dirty console with nothing to play with. I went upstairs after I saw it, so it was a waste of time for me.

Then when I was 5 I got my first console and my first handheld: the N64 and the Gameboy Color. Let me tell you how Nintendo delivered that year with Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie and Pokémon Red! But that wasn't the important part. The important part was the party games the N64 was pumping out back then, the Y2K era was the peak of local multiplayer gaming. I made so many instant friends over that console. I'd play with my friends for hours, and we'd sleep over at each other's houses because we were having too much fun to think about going back home. Seriously, having the latest new hot multiplayer game would make you the most popular kid in the neighbourhood for a week and everyone would want to come over to your house.

Man, you were lucky. Whenever I played the first three Mario Party games, I would only play it for myself. The only time when I actually played with other people, was when I went to my friend's birthday party and we played Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Considering I had no brothers or sisters, I was the only kid in my house who played SNES/N64 games on an emulator. It's kinda sad when you see it like that, but I was only an infant when the Nintendo 64 was around.

When the Gamecube came around it subsided a bit, but there was still Smash Bros. Melee which is greatest of all time party game and Mario Kart DD. Classics!

I never grew up with Melee, but I knew it was a great game from most people. I thought Brawl was better, because it had more characters, more stages, and even a cool adventure mode (Subspace Emissary). When I heard of Brawl around 2009/2010, most of my friends had the game. I had Brawl around late 2010, and played it up until 2013.

The moral of the story is simple.

Nintendo is fun. Nintendo is friendship. Nintendo is love.

Nah... Sega was more fun to play with than Nintendo.

Genesis does what Nintendon't.  8)

Written By: the2001 on 05/08/17 at 2:18 pm

I wish Nintendo didnt sell out with the wii

Check for new replies or respond here...