inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/12/17 at 8:29 am

Anyone playing BotW? Do you have it for the Switch or Wii U? I have it for the Wii U and it is awesome! It's different from the old Zelda games. It almost feels like it has an Assassin's Creed style of gameplay. The visual effects are just amazing. I think I will eventually buy the Switch version when I actually get the console, some time later this year.

Subject: Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/17 at 11:11 am

You got me hyped with the "Assassin's Creed style gameplay". AC2: Brotherhood is one of my favourite games :D

I haven't got it yet. I want to get it on Switch, but my local mom&pop game store is sold out (and I'd rather get it from there than a franchise store) so I'm just waiting for stock to replenish. :)

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/12/17 at 11:11 am

I did hear its different from traditional Zelda games. I wouldn't completely throw that against it if I had the money for it though.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/12/17 at 7:20 pm

I haven't played it and I don't think a Nintendo Switch is in my future, but I have heard great things about it.

Ocarina of Time is widely considered one of the greatest games ever made and is the standard all Zelda releases are held to. Since Ocarina, it seems as if the Zelda franchise has been trying to re-capture that "magic" but has always fallen short. That's not to say subsequent titles were bad as there were some really good ones, but none of them were Ocarina.

It's good that they've taken a step in a new direction instead of trying to recreate Ocarina for the nth time as that is how a truly great, memorable game experience will be delivered.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/17 at 1:19 pm

I haven't played it and I don't think a Nintendo Switch is in my future, but I have heard great things about it.

Ocarina of Time is widely considered one of the greatest games ever made and is the standard all Zelda releases are held to. Since Ocarina, it seems as if the Zelda franchise has been trying to re-capture that "magic" but has always fallen short. That's not to say subsequent titles were bad as there were some really good ones, but none of them were Ocarina.

It's good that they've taken a step in a new direction instead of trying to recreate Ocarina for the nth time as that is how a truly great, memorable game experience will be delivered.

Yeah, I agree with that. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were all great games, but the only one that really stood out to me was Wind Waker because, between the cel shading and the Great Sea, it was actually a unique game. The problem with trying to "recapture the magic" of Ocarina of Time was that it was an impossible feat. It was the first 3D Zelda game we had ever played, and there was no way that any subsequent Zelda's could ever match the feeling of playing that game for the first time. It would be like trying to replicate the feeling of playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. Impossible.

As for Breath of the Wild, I haven't played it yet, but I really want to. I've heard that it's now, like, the second highest rated game of all time on Metacritic behind only Ocarina of Time.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/14/17 at 8:04 pm

Not yet unfortunately, but I plan to get it for my Wii U eventually. I've heard VERY great things about it. Heck it got a 10/10 from IGN, the first Zelda game to do that since Ocarina!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/14/17 at 8:06 pm

Btw, What are your top 3 Zelda games?

For me it would probably be:

1. Ocarina of Time

2. Twilight Princess

3. A Link Between Worlds

Until I get my hands on BOTW this would probably remain the same for the time being.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/14/17 at 8:39 pm

Zelda, in case you're interested, we wished you a happy birthday here.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55008.0

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/17 at 9:50 pm

Yeah, I agree with that. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were all great games, but the only one that really stood out to me was Wind Waker because, between the cel shading and the Great Sea, it was actually a unique game. The problem with trying to "recapture the magic" of Ocarina of Time was that it was an impossible feat. It was the first 3D Zelda game we had ever played, and there was no way that any subsequent Zelda's could ever match the feeling of playing that game for the first time. It would be like trying to replicate the feeling of playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. Impossible.

As for Breath of the Wild, I haven't played it yet, but I really want to. I've heard that it's now, like, the second highest rated game of all time on Metacritic behind only Ocarina of Time.

You can't play it until you play Pokémon Sun/Moon!

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/17 at 9:53 pm

1. Ocarina of Time

2. Twilight Princess

3. A Link Between Worlds

Until I get my hands on BOTW this would probably remain the same for the time being.

Of the ones I played.

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. A Link To The Past
4. Twilight Princess
5. Phantom Hourglass
6. Wind Waker
7. Skyward Sword (only because of the controls; if they rerelease this game with improved controls, it has real potential).
8. Spirit Tracks

I played Four Swords (for 3DS) for a good bit, and it was really fun but... Err, I promised one of my university friends that I'd finish it with him a few years back, but I haven't kept in touch with him. :o  :-[ I'd put it above Wind Waker, preliminary, until I can find a new buddy.  ;D

I haven't played A Link Between Worlds! I'll have to check it out.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/14/17 at 10:00 pm

1. Ocarina of Time

2. Twilight Princess

3. A Link Between Worlds

I only have a top two due to not having many games of the series.

A Link to the Past

The Original Legend of Zelda

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/14/17 at 10:15 pm

1) The Wind Waker
2) Twilight Princess
3) Majoras Mask (SOOOOOOOO underrated)
4) Ocarina of Time
5) Link Between Worlds
6) Spirit Tracks
7) Phantom Hourglass
8) Link to the Past
9) Zelda II

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/14/17 at 10:16 pm

I only have a top two due to not having many games of the series.

A Link to the Past

The Original Legend of Zelda

It's a good thing you're back, Dog. I hadn't seen you in months.

I was starting to get worried that Putin had poisoned your lemonade, since you revealed classified information to the FBI about Pac-Man and Crash Bandicoot's alleged hacking of the 2016 election.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/14/17 at 11:08 pm

It's a good thing you're back, Dog. I hadn't seen you in months.

I was starting to get worried that Putin had poisoned your lemonade, since you revealed classified information to the FBI about Pac-Man and Crash Bandicoot's alleged hacking of the 2016 election.
Ahaahahahahah. Well same here. I've had to take care of class work for school.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/18/17 at 8:15 am

I think BotW is the single best thing of 2017 so far.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/17 at 11:18 am

I was finally able to play this at a friends house a couple of nights ago. OMG I was amazed :D The massive open world, the colorful graphics, and the innovative controls. Probably one of the most transformative gaming experiences of my life, no joke! I got up to the part where I officially got my Paraglider. I'm now tempted in either buying this on my Wii U, or heck actually buying a Nintendo Switch (this was the version I played on).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 03/18/17 at 11:21 am

Of the ones I played.

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. A Link To The Past
4. Twilight Princess
5. Phantom Hourglass
6. Wind Waker
7. Skyward Sword (only because of the controls; if they rerelease this game with improved controls, it has real potential).
8. Spirit Tracks

I played Four Swords (for 3DS) for a good bit, and it was really fun but... Err, I promised one of my university friends that I'd finish it with him a few years back, but I haven't kept in touch with him. :o  :-[ I'd put it above Wind Waker, preliminary, until I can find a new buddy.  ;D

I haven't played A Link Between Worlds! I'll have to check it out.

Damn I could've sworn your favorite was Wind Waker? Anyways I agree over the games I've beaten OOT still retains a special piece of my heart. Maybe its because it was the first Zelda I played, but even when I'd occasionally play it recently I could still get so entranced in that beautiful world!

Check for new replies or respond here...