inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beauty and the Beast smashes US box office records

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/17 at 5:44 am

Beauty and the Beast has enchanted film fans on its opening weekend - taking $350m (£282m) around the world.
The film took $170m (£137m) at North American box offices alone and broke a load of records in the process.
It had the biggest ever opening weekend for a PG-rated film, and notched up the seventh best opening overall.
The film easily outsold the rest of the top 10 combined - Kong: Skull Island was its closest competitor, taking $28.9m (£23.3m) on its second weekend.
Beauty and the Beast marks Disney's best opening for a live action remake yet - beating The Jungle Book, Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland.
In the UK, the film earned £18.4m - the fifth biggest opening weekend ever.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39326018

Subject: Re: Beauty and the Beast smashes US box office records

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/17 at 6:02 am

It's probably doing better than the original 1991 film made by Disney.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/17 at 6:52 am

It's probably doing better than the original 1991 film made by Disney.
It probably is, but i cannot find any information on the original's taking for it's opening weekend for any comparison.

I saw live action The Jungle Book today and i was charmed by it, I am hoping it will be the same with Beauty and the Beast.

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/17 at 7:17 am

I watched it yesterday with my little sisters. I enjoyed it. :)

One of the scenes almost made me cry.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/17 at 7:42 am

Something to look forward to?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/17 at 10:48 am

To me, the animated original was sort of better.

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/17 at 11:22 am

Something to look forward to?

It's enjoyable, but it's not really exemplary, or anything like that. Keep your expectations in check ;)

To me, the animated original was sort of better.

I don't think the movie tries to be better as much as it tries to recreate the magic. I agree though, if I were trying to introduce someone to Beauty and the Beast, I'd get them to watch the 1991 animation.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/17 at 1:30 pm

I don't think the movie tries to be better as much as it tries to recreate the magic. I agree though, if I were trying to introduce someone to Beauty and the Beast, I'd get them to watch the 1991 animation.

Yeah. No matter how the remake seems more visionary, the 1991 original would stay in the hearts (including mine) forever. Especially the teapots.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/20/17 at 3:11 pm

I liked it, but prefer the 1991 animated classic over the new live action remake.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/20/17 at 5:00 pm

I liked it, but prefer the 1991 animated classic over the new live action remake.

My favorite Disney Renaissance movie will always be Lion King. I heard that the production for a live-action Lion King starts this May and I'm all up for it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/17 at 5:06 pm

My favorite Disney Renaissance movie will always be Lion King. I heard that the production for a live-action Lion King starts this May and I'm all up for it.

Much like The Lion King, I was really into several Disney Renaissance films that I might grew up fondly with in the mid 2000s. Although my favorite Disney franchise is Lilo and Stitch, the Renaissance movies were timeless for anyone to watch. I remember having the Special Edition Lion King DVD and there was a bonus feature that had Timon and Pumbaa with a Jeep (or something like that). I haven't played it for over a decade, but it was very fun for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...