inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will the 2020s bring to the table music-wise?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/23/17 at 7:55 pm

I'm hoping for a punk/pop-punk revival, but that might be far fetched. Or glam metal. Anything rock related.
Do you think the musical trends of the mid 2010s will persist into the early-mid 2020s, or will there be substantial differences by then? What new genres, or revival of genres, do you think might emerge by the time, say, 2022/2023 rolls around?

Subject: Re: What will the 2020s bring to the table music-wise?

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/23/17 at 8:39 pm

If history has taught me anything it's that people eventually get sick of music trends and move on to new musical sounds. Genres rise and fall. New genres are made, old genres return, and current genres fade. I assume by the time the core feel of the '20s come around music would have a different sound. Pop culture doesn't stay stagnant for any aspect of pop culture no matter what people try to tell you.

As for what genres may be popular by then? Not sure. All it takes is for some bright mind to show up on stage and make a world hitting track within a certain genre which will tend start a whole new movement for that genre. A new band makes a hit Grunge album? Next thing you know a ton of other bands do Grunge and the genre is once again revived to popularity. This is how it usually works.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/23/17 at 9:02 pm

I don't know. That's 3-6 years from now. I (hopefully) graduate from college in that span (Class of 2021). I just hope that trap rap dies and rap becomes more mafioso like Life After Death (1997) by The Notorious B.I.G. and Reasonable Doubt (1996) by Jay-Z or becomes more gangsta again like Straight Outta Compton (1988) by N.W.A., The Chronic (1992) by Dr. Dre, Ready to Die (1994) by The Notorious B.I.G. or Death Certificate (1991) by Ice Cube. If not then at least have rap become mutually intelligible again. As for other genres, I don't know but I hope that the Ariana Grande-style pop songs die out and more pop songs that don't overtly have sexual lyrics and if they do make it clever. Also, I hope a good "dead" genre of rock makes a comeback in the early 2020s.

Written By: the2001 on 03/23/17 at 9:06 pm

I'm hoping for a punk/pop-punk revival, but that might be far fetched. Or glam metal. Anything rock related.
Do you think the musical trends of the mid 2010s will persist into the early-mid 2020s, or will there be substantial differences by then? What new genres, or revival of genres, do you think might emerge by the time, say, 2022/2023 rolls around?

Passion Pit/ Indie pop type songs are getting passe expect that to be gone before 2020

Written By: the2001 on 03/23/17 at 9:09 pm

If history has taught me anything it's that people eventually get sick of music trends and move on to new musical sounds. Genres rise and fall. New genres are made, old genres return, and current genres fade. I assume by the time the core feel of the '20s come around music would have a different sound. Pop culture doesn't stay stagnant for any aspect of pop culture no matter what people try to tell you.

As for what genres may be popular by then? Not sure. All it takes is for some bright mind to show up on stage and make a world hitting track within a certain genre which will tend start a whole new movement for that genre. A new band makes a hit Grunge album? Next thing you know a ton of other bands do Grunge and the genre is once again revived to popularity. This is how it usually works.

Alot of music blog sites like Noisey & Fader are predicting pop music to get SUPER poppy because of the economy being really good right now
expect music like this to be taking over

KsupkJ2ElDw

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/23/17 at 9:10 pm

Alot of music blog sites like Noisey & Fader are predicting pop music to get SUPER poppy because of the economy being really good right now

With the unpredictable Trump in office, this really good economy we may be experiencing could easily be stopped in its tracks. We'll see.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/24/17 at 12:18 am

KsupkJ2ElDw

So... a throwback to '90s cheery pop, REM's "Shiny Happy People"?

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/24/17 at 10:06 am

KsupkJ2ElDw

Yeah, if past decades have taught me anything it's that when the economy is doing well pop culture becomes more upbeat. From what research has shown me a lot of things will happen by the 2020s that will make the economic grow. So I can see music going back to being upbeat again.

So... a throwback to '90s cheery pop, REM's "Shiny Happy People"?

I wouldn't say so much as a throwback as the 1990s wasn't the first to have cheery pop music. Although if we're talking throwback wise I'm curious on if 1990s throwbacks would even be as big in the 2020s.

I always find it funny how for the 2020s people they want Electro Swing to be the big thing. Although I'm not entirely sure if there any jazz genres would be a hit. Electro Swing has a chance, but no big artists in America have tried it yet. Genre is already well known in Europe due to a lot of the Electro Swing artists there, but in the US things are different.
D_JxMb8RLEY
https://thumbnailer.mixcloud.com/unsafe/318x318/extaudio/f/d/4/e/52cd-7df7-4d40-96b9-bbb3049abc85.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 03/24/17 at 12:09 pm

It's difficult to project what 2020s music will sound like, but most likely it'll be the growth of whatever underground, radio-potent movements are just starting to bubble up. Grunge, for example, already existed in the mid-1980s, but it took it several years to break into the mainstream.

The ironic thing is that early and early-mid 2010s music turned out to sound pretty much exactly as I had envisioned it would back in the early 2000s - modern slang intermixed with heavily dynamic electronic soundscapes. The 2020s are harder to guess, but I imagine it'll probably be a little more minimalist (though still synthesized) than typical 2010s music, with perhaps more socially conscious but still rather modern-flavored lyrics.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/24/17 at 12:17 pm

I imagine it will be a backlash to this decade. So I imagine the music will feel darker and with more angst. That's what I predict anyway.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/24/17 at 12:18 pm

What genres do middle schoolers currently like?  That's the best way to predict it.  Top 40 is targetted primarily to 16-25 year olds and today's middle schoolers will be that age during the 2020s.  It will likely be some variation of the genres that they like today.  Anybody who wants to see a rock revival needs to look to see if rock is popular with middle schoolers today.  If it is, there is a high chance there will be a rock revival in the 2020s.  Note that '20s music won't sound exactly like what today's tweens are listening to, but to get the general idea of the genres that will be popular, thats a good place to look.

I somewhat predicted the sound of '10s music as well, way back in 2007.  How?  Sampling Radio Disney.  I didn't like what I heard, and sure enough, I haven't really liked mid '10s music.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/24/17 at 12:32 pm

I think whatever it is will involve electronic components. Anything electronic and futuristic sounding will shape up most of the 21st century I believe. I think it's too soon but maybe by the 30s we will see vocoders becoming popular in America like they are in Japan. So we would have holographic pop stars, celebrities who aren't even real people doing shows for people. By then the technology would improve greatly as well.

I think 20s music will be very upbeat. We have not had upbeat music in a long time so it is time for it to come back. Perhaps we will see post-bubblegum pop or something of the sorts. I'm hoping a fresh, new popular genre and sound emerges that is unique in the 20s. Electro swing would be awesome, but it is hard to predict what will be popular. I do think music will sound noticeably different in the year 2020 than it is today.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/24/17 at 12:36 pm

3 words... run the table

roaring in the 2020's

Written By: Slim95 on 03/24/17 at 12:49 pm

This is a little off topic for the music, but I'm actually really excited for New Years Eve 2020. I can't believe it's less than 3 years away! It's just gonna be so cool entering the year 2020, kind of reminds me of going into the year 2000, a cool-sounding name to a year. And the year 2000 will be 20 years ago at this time, so that should make for some fun retro junk to make a comeback from when we were kids. I hope by 2020 the flat colourful design trend that started in the late 00s/early 10s dies off from popularity and we go back to the cool and bad ass looking 3d designs.

https://previews.123rf.com/images/thitimontoyai/thitimontoyai1302/thitimontoyai130200303/18048436-3D-Happy-new-year-2020-Stock-Photo.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/17 at 12:54 pm

I just hope the music isn't so shallow and vapid!  ::)  ::) 

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/24/17 at 1:22 pm

What genres do middle schoolers currently like?  That's the best way to predict it.  Top 40 is targetted primarily to 16-25 year olds and today's middle schoolers will be that age during the 2020s.  It will likely be some variation of the genres that they like today.  Anybody who wants to see a rock revival needs to look to see if rock is popular with middle schoolers today.  If it is, there is a high chance there will be a rock revival in the 2020s.  Note that '20s music won't sound exactly like what today's tweens are listening to, but to get the general idea of the genres that will be popular, thats a good place to look.

I somewhat predicted the sound of '10s music as well, way back in 2007.  How?  Sampling Radio Disney.  I didn't like what I heard, and sure enough, I haven't really liked mid '10s music.

It's literally impossible to guess what will be popular in the future based on what's popular now. Especially if the 2020s turn out to be a backlash to the 2010s. Secondly, there aren't really any solid underground movements going on in this decade that I see becoming mainstream. Underground artists nowadays just do their own thing. Which makes the 2020s even more unpredictable. You may have been able to predict how music in the 2010s would be like in 2007 because the 2010s basically continued where the late 2000s left off, and gradually evolved from there. Sort of like how the 1970s continued where the late 60s left off. However I think the 2020s will turn out to be a backlash to the 2010s, in the same way that the 80s were a backlash to the 70s.

Written By: the2001 on 03/24/17 at 1:35 pm

It's literally impossible to guess what will be popular in the future based on what's popular now. Especially if the 2020s turn out to be a backlash to the 2010s. Secondly, there aren't really any solid underground movements going on in this decade that I see becoming mainstream. Underground artists nowadays just do their own thing. Which makes the 2020s even more unpredictable. You may have been able to predict how music in the 2010s would be like in 2007 because the 2010s basically continued where the late 2000s left off, and gradually evolved from there. Sort of like how the 1970s continued where the late 60s left off. However I think the 2020s will turn out to be a backlash to the 2010s, in the same way that the 80s were a backlash to the 70s.

The social media backlash towards narcissism is underground right now

Written By: mqg96 on 03/24/17 at 1:37 pm

It's literally impossible to guess what will be popular in the future based on what's popular now. Especially if the 2020s turn out to be a backlash to the 2010s.

I remember when kids or young adults who grew up in the 90's wanted the 2010's decade to be a backlash against the 2000's, and many of them think the 2010's decade has been a lot better for pop culture than the 2000's and could compete with the 90's. It's an endless cycle.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/24/17 at 1:52 pm

I agree. I think we can establish at the moment that it is unpredictable what will be popular in the 20s.

Written By: 2001 on 03/24/17 at 1:54 pm

I just hope the music isn't so shallow and vapid!  ::)  ::)

It will be difficult to stop an almost 50 year trend.  :-X :-X :-X

Written By: 2001 on 03/24/17 at 2:03 pm

From the male middle schoolers and high schoolers I met, they listen to tons of rap. The girls listen to Ariana Grande.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/17 at 2:05 pm

It will be difficult to stop an almost 50 year trend.  :-X :-X :-X

I blame disco!  >:(

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/24/17 at 3:16 pm

I blame disco!  >:(

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/c4/c496e1a95be52ef7a763c97feab1af34481d0907cce78a7e15cc788b0cb864f8.jpg

>:( How dare you say such a thing!  >:(

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/24/17 at 3:17 pm

If that 2010s backlash does go in full swing by the 2020s I can see a lot of 2010s stuff disappearing. Makes me wonder if the current artists will either change the sound of their music or end up losing popularity due to new big artists.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/24/17 at 4:48 pm

If that 2010s backlash does go in full swing by the 2020s I can see a lot of 2010s stuff disappearing. Makes me wonder if the current artists will either change the sound of their music or end up losing popularity due to new big artists.

A good question is what kind of backlash will the '20s be.  Will it be more liberal or more conservative?  Given Trump's record so far, I think the chances of the '20s being a conservative decade are diminishing.

I think musically, we are currently in the late-inning stages of '10s music (where we were in 2006 in regards to '00s music).  Things haven't changed a lot since 2013.  The game isn't over yet, but I don't see the current music culture playing out for very much longer before the next shift.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/24/17 at 4:55 pm

A good question is what kind of backlash will the '20s be.  Will it be more liberal or more conservative?  Given Trump's record so far, I think the chances of the '20s being a conservative decade are diminishing.

I think musically, we are currently in the late-inning stages of '10s music (where we were in 2006 in regards to '00s music).  Things haven't changed a lot since 2013.  The game isn't over yet, but I don't see the current music culture playing out for very much longer before the next shift.

Yeah, maybe it's just me but I feel like we're now entering the last wave of '10s music. I'm certain a '20s shift will happen and along with a '10s backlash. Once the backlash hits a lot of aspects with pop culture from the '10s will be changed up for the '20s. As for whether or not it'll be conservative or liberal I can't say yet. Right now I'm mainly trying to see if Trump even gets a 2nd term in 2021. If not then he wouldn't have the big influential effect on pop culture if he isn't within presidential power from 2021-2029. Although in terms of just backlash I can see it being from a more liberal point than conservative.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/24/17 at 5:04 pm

I don't believe the concepts of liberalism vs. conservatism will be the same next decade in the United States. It will look different with different issues that will be in focus. I think people will also be less divided. In Canada, I sure hope O'Leary doesn't become prime minister in 2019. He will destroy this country.  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/17 at 6:31 pm

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/c4/c496e1a95be52ef7a763c97feab1af34481d0907cce78a7e15cc788b0cb864f8.jpg

>:( How dare you say such a thing!  >:(

Uh oh. :(

Written By: 2001 on 03/24/17 at 7:00 pm

I don't believe the concepts of liberalism vs. conservatism will be the same next decade in the United States. It will look different with different issues that will be in focus. I think people will also be less divided. In Canada, I sure hope O'Leary doesn't become prime minister in 2019. He will destroy this country.  8-P

Ne t'en fais pas... les québécois nous sauveront les anglais, pour l'énnième fois!

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/24/17 at 7:03 pm

Ne t'en fais pas... les québécois nous sauveront les anglais, pour l'énnième fois!

....................What the fu- English, Slowpoke!  >:(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 7:08 pm

Translated: "Do not worry...Quebeckers will save the English for the eleventh time".

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/24/17 at 7:15 pm

Translated: "Do not worry...Quebeckers will save the English for the eleventh time".

This is me right now as I still don't understand.  :(
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/992/407/776.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 03/24/17 at 7:19 pm

Pardon.  :-

*Nth time, or "millionth time", rather. ;D

This is me right now as I still don't understand.  :(

Not really a joke, but Quebeckers speak French. O'Leary (the guy Slim hopes doesn't become Prime Minister) doesn't speak French. Quebeckers don't vote for people who don't speak French, usually.  :-X

On-topic: I think some sort of elector-hip hop will become popular in the 2020s, just going by what's popular in Europe/Asia. Electropo there was popular throughout the 2000s, so that seems like a good place to look.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/24/17 at 7:22 pm

*Nth time, or "millionth time", rather. ;D

Désolé mon mauvais.  ;)

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/24/17 at 7:34 pm

Pardon.  :-

>:( I don't allow for non-English text.  >:(

On-topic: I think some sort of elector-hip hop will become popular in the 2020s, just going by what's popular in Europe/Asia. Electropo there was popular throughout the 2000s, so that seems like a good place to look.

Oh great. The Electro trend better not continue. Hip Hop already sounds  60% Electro and 40% Hip Hop in some songs. Only Electro genres that sounded good were Electro Pop, Electro Funk, and Electro Swing. Everything else is just terrible. Next we'll have redundant/unneeded genres like "Electro Techno" cuz ya know...Techno wasn't electronic enough despite being 100% Electronic. Of course I'm joking, but then again we did get Electro House which made no since to me since House is already part of the Electronic Dance Music genres. Now we got Electo Electronic Dance Music.  Redundancy the Redundant is the game here.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/24/17 at 8:21 pm

>:( I don't allow for non-English text.  >:(

Oh great. The Electro trend better not continue. Hip Hop already sounds  60% Electro and 40% Hip Hop in some songs. Only Electro genres that sounded good were Electro Pop, Electro Funk, and Electro Swing. Everything else is just terrible. Next we'll have redundant/unneeded genres like "Electro Techno" cuz ya know...Techno wasn't electronic enough despite being 100% Electronic. Of course I'm joking, but then again we did get Electro House which made no since to me since House is already part of the Electronic Dance Music genres. Now we got Electo Electronic Dance Music.  Redundancy the Redundant is the game here.

Well it would have to go electronic because there really are no other genres at the moment to replace it. Unless we go back to real instruments but that would be a step backward (although an improvement, it wouldn't happen). So it's only natural for the electronic music to continue on in different forms and genres in the coming decades.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/24/17 at 8:22 pm

He says he will learn by 2019.  ::) He's the Donald Trump of the north.

Check for new replies or respond here...