inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s geek obsession.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/26/17 at 9:49 pm

Along with hipsters, another thing that has gotten popular in the obnoxiously quirky environment of this decade is being a "geek". I guess it has to do with the popularity of superhero movies/T.V. shows, but even as recently as 2008, being a geek isn't as glorified as it is now. Sure superhero movies were already getting popular, but this whole geek obsession wasn't so in your face.

And in some instances the geek trend and the hipster trend go hand in hand, as a lot of geeks nowadays wear hipster-esque fashion like undercuts/man buns, tight chinos, slim, thin fabric t-shirts (often with something related to geek culture). To me, the popularity of both geekdom and hipsterdom is a temporary phase. I don't see either one lasting past 2019. It's no different to when punk was popularized in the mid 90s by Green Day and The Offspring, or when emo was popularized in the mid 00s by My Chemical Romance and Hawthorne Heights.

Some people are convinced that this is a permanent change, but I have not seen any evidence that it's any more than a 2010s trend.

What do you all think?

Subject: Re: 2010s geek obsession.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/26/17 at 9:51 pm

Along with hipsters, another thing that has gotten popular in the obnoxiously quirky environment of this decade is being a "geek". I guess it has to do with the popularity of superhero movies/T.V. shows, but even as recently as 2008, being a geek isn't as glorified as it is now. Sure superhero movies were already getting popular, but this whole geek obsession wasn't so in your face.

And in some instances the geek trend and the hipster trend go hand in hand, as a lot of geeks nowadays wear hipster-esque fashion like undercuts/man buns, tight chinos, slim, thin fabric t-shirts (often with something related to geek culture). To me, the popularity of both geekdom and hipsterdom is a temporary phase. I don't see either one lasting past 2019. It's no different to when punk was popularized in the mid 90s by Green Day and The Offspring, or when emo was popularized in the mid 00s by My Chemical Romance and Hawthorne Heights.

Some people are convinced that this is a permanent change, but I have not seen any evidence that it's any more than a 2010s trend.

What do you all think?

This is actually one of my favorite things about '10s culture.  For all that I don't like about this decade, this is one thing I really do like.  I was a geek in high school in the '00s, before it was cool.  I think it would be much easier and more accepted to be a geek in this culture than in the '00s.  I hope it does last and isn't a '10s trend.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/17 at 9:59 pm

Why do you want people like me to do die off?! #GeekRights!!  >:(

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/26/17 at 10:47 pm

Why do you want people like me to do die off?! #GeekRights!!  >:(

I never said that. I just think that the whole geek trend is getting a bit over-saturated. I don't have a problem with people who genuinely like geek culture. It's mostly the people whom are getting into it just because it's the cool thing to do right now.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/26/17 at 10:49 pm

This is actually one of my favorite things about '10s culture.  For all that I don't like about this decade, this is one thing I really do like.  I was a geek in high school in the '00s, before it was cool. I think it would be much easier and more accepted to be a geek in this culture than in the '00s. I hope it does last and isn't a '10s trend.

But do you think this acceptance is genuine? How is this any different from punk gaining mainstream acceptance in the mid 90s or emo getting mainstream acceptance in the mid 00s? It's totally possible that people who recently jumped on the bandwagon, will just hop on to the next big thing once geekdom stops being trendy.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/26/17 at 10:54 pm

You're right, and this coming from a fellow intellectual/nerd/geek/, it is over-saturated a little TOO much. I dont know what the next phase will be, but I feel as though punk might make a major comeback in some way by sometime next decade. I read somewhere that the underground pop-punk scene is booming right now. Could be just a matter of 2-4 years before it makes the mainstream again.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/26/17 at 11:00 pm

Pop punk is not real punk, it's fake punk made marketable to the masses.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/27/17 at 9:05 am

I just want people to be appreciated as distinct individuals, regardless of whether they're geeks or not. One thing I will say, though, is that I plea for geek culture to expand beyond social media and tumblr.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/27/17 at 9:16 am

I just want people to be appreciated as distinct individuals, regardless of whether they're geeks or not. One thing I will say, though, is that I plea for geek culture to expand beyond social media and tumblr.

Yeah, it seems that geek culture mainly consists of just people who sit in front of their PCs/Phones and spend time on Social media and Tumblr. I'm not sure if I'd call Geek culture part of mainstream culture or not since you only see it in specific areas within pop culture. Whether it expands or not is something I'm curious in.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/17 at 9:37 am

One of the few things I like about the 2010's is geek culture.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/17 at 10:30 am

But do you think this acceptance is genuine? How is this any different from punk gaining mainstream acceptance in the mid 90s or emo getting mainstream acceptance in the mid 00s? It's totally possible that people who recently jumped on the bandwagon, will just hop on to the next big thing once geekdom stops being trendy.

It's better than what came before... outright derision. Perspective!  :-\\

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) was when I felt like we truly entered the geek era! But The Dark Knight (2008) was what got the ball rolling.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/27/17 at 11:16 am

From what I remember, the classic geek was unafraid to act upon their imagination for the furtherance of society. Nowadays, they're, for the most part, some of the most stagnant, conformist groups of people around. Instead of marching to the beat of their own drum, they're mostly just stroking their own egos by exploiting the latest updates to their social media devices and milking whatever popular conspiracy theory their trendy friends are trying to shove down others' throats.

As a kid and tween, I was probably as geeky as you could get, not so much following current fads so much as cherishing whatever my bizarre thoughts guided me to. As geek culture grew more mainstream, I went from sort of having closer online friendships during high school to having hardly any idea who to associate with in the mid-late 2010s, transforming into a full-on retro lady who just happens to be attracted to other women.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/17 at 1:32 pm

From what I remember, the classic geek was unafraid to act upon their imagination for the furtherance of society.

They were unafraid, but there was a lot of undesirable social backlash nonetheless. If you told people you played World of Warcraft back in 2006, you would have to put your guard up against a lot of mean-spirited comments; most people just wouldn't admit to it. Unlike today, where if you told people you were a competitive gamer or into eSports, it's an instant invitation to the bro-club.  :-X

Nowadays, they're, for the most part, some of the most stagnant, conformist groups of people around. Instead of marching to the beat of their own drum, they're mostly just stroking their own egos by exploiting the latest updates to their social media devices and milking whatever popular conspiracy theory their trendy friends are trying to shove down others' throats

Hmm, I can't say I've seen much of this since I don't go on social media very often. Do you have examples?

As a kid and tween, I was probably as geeky as you could get, not so much following current fads so much as cherishing whatever my bizarre thoughts guided me to. As geek culture grew more mainstream, I went from sort of having closer online friendships during high school to having hardly any idea who to associate with in the mid-late 2010s, transforming into a full-on retro lady who just happens to be attracted to other women.

I agree that some forms of geek media have been mainstreamed to the point of being dumbed down. Some geek hobbies just went completely out of style and weren't adopted by the masses, and it's pretty sad to see those niches and communities disappear. I guess DDR would be one.  :-\\ Another example of this is complex simulation games, à la Sim City 4 or General Hospital. Their sequels (or lack thereof) are significantly dumbed down, and their mod and forum communities have been replaced by pay-to-win and on-disc DLC, which is just frustrating. They forget their dedicated fans and try to chase mainstream acceptance.  :\'(

Written By: bchris02 on 03/27/17 at 1:40 pm

I agree that some forms of geek media have been mainstreamed to the point of being dumbed down. Some geek hobbies just went completely out of style and weren't adopted by the masses, and it's pretty sad to see those niches and communities disappear. I guess DDR would be one.  :-\\ Another example of this is complex simulation games, à la Sim City 4 or General Hospital. Their sequels (or lack thereof) are significantly dumbed down, and their mod and forum communities have been replaced by pay-to-win and on-disc DLC, which is just frustrating. They forget their dedicated fans and try to chase mainstream acceptance.  :\'(

I agree with this completely.  I loved SimCity 4 and I would love to see a real SimCity 5 that takes the franchise to the next level.  However, both SimCity Societies and the SimCity reboot were terrible, dumbing down the game, and focusing more on the social aspect of it as opposed to building a realistic city.  There have been others try to fill the niche, like Cities:Skylines, but even that is lacking and the expansion packs are focused on the wrong things.  I want realistic buildings and zoning as well as more control over what type of development gets built.  I could care less about day/night cycles or weather.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/27/17 at 1:48 pm

This is why some hate mainstream pop culture. When a "subculture" is niche it's maintains its true original feel and message. But in order for something to become mainstream the things that were niche must be dumbed down or changed overall leaving nothing but the sterotypical characteristics intact and not the more deeper characteristics. This is partially why hipsters don't like things that are mainstream and only really like underground and obscure things. As when they're underground and obscure they're true to their original form. But as soon as it becomes popular people go to changing the original form up just so it appeal to the mainstream. It's why hipsters take pride in knowing obscure things and when it becomes popular they no longer like it.

I hate hipsters and hipster culture, but I do agree with some of their ideas.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/17 at 1:54 pm

Yeah, it seems that geek culture mainly consists of just people who sit in front of their PCs/Phones and spend time on Social media and Tumblr. I'm not sure if I'd call Geek culture part of mainstream culture or not since you only see it in specific areas within pop culture. Whether it expands or not is something I'm curious in.

I think there are different subsets of geek, because the geeks I know are allergic to social media (I guess they're more "nerd" than "geek" by some people's definitions). Many did not get Facebook until 2013/2014, because they thought "Facebook is for the mindless plebs". :o And many look down on me when I tell them I have Twitter. I have to tell them I haven't used Facebook in years to get a bro-fist again. ;D

It can actually be really frustrating how social media-phobic some geeks are. There was this dude, who I'm 50% sure was gay too, that I had a crush on in my second year Physics class. We were both Nintendo and Game of Thrones fans and electromagnetism was our main interest in Physics. We hung out all the time for the first month or so (I had a whole 5-hour break between two of my classes, and he'd stick with me for the entire duration even though he could just go home). Then, one day, he got into an accident while playing soccer, and I never heard from him again. He has no Facebook, no Twitter, no nothing! I didn't get his number (nerds don't exchange numbers LOL), I only have his 3DS friend code, and Nintendo removed messaging on that a long time ago. I miss him, even if he wasn't gay, he was a true bro. :\'(

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/27/17 at 2:07 pm

I think there are different subsets of geek, because the geeks I know are allergic to social media (I guess they're more "nerd" than "geek" by some people's definitions). Many did not get Facebook until 2013/2014, because they thought "Facebook is for the mindless plebs". :o And many look down on me when I tell them I have Twitter. I have to tell them I haven't used Facebook in years to get a bro-fist again. ;D

It can actually be really frustrating how social media-phobic some geeks are. There was this dude, who I'm 50% sure was gay too, that I had a crush on in my second year Physics class. We were both Nintendo and Game of Thrones fans and electromagnetism was our main interest in Physics. We hung out all the time for the first month or so (I had a whole 5-hour break between two of my classes, and he'd stick with me for the entire duration even though he could just go home). Then, one day, he got into an accident while playing soccer, and I never heard from him again. He has no Facebook, no Twitter, no nothing! I didn't get his number (nerds don't exchange numbers LOL), I only have his 3DS friend code, and Nintendo removed messaging on that a long time ago. I miss him, even if he wasn't gay, he was a true bro. :\'(

Oh oh.  :( Sorry to see you went through something like that, bro.

As for the thing on Social media I can see how it has improved certain things. But I also feel there there is a negative effect with it. Mainly due to the obsession people have with it. And I don't like how social media would blow things out of proportion. It could be the smallest of news or something that isn't much of a big deal, but this won't stop people from spending 5+ hours on Facebook discussing it.

Written By: 2001 on 03/27/17 at 2:58 pm

I agree with this completely.  I loved SimCity 4 and I would love to see a real SimCity 5 that takes the franchise to the next level.  However, both SimCity Societies and the SimCity reboot were terrible, dumbing down the game, and focusing more on the social aspect of it as opposed to building a realistic city.  There have been others try to fill the niche, like Cities:Skylines, but even that is lacking and the expansion packs are focused on the wrong things.  I want realistic buildings and zoning as well as more control over what type of development gets built.  I could care less about day/night cycles or weather.

I agree. The changes were detrimental. I dislike how you had to "choose" the type of city you wanted to be, before you even built anything! All just to shoehorn that social aspect, because you get your friends with different types of cities to complement each other.  8-P

What I liked about Cities: Skyline was, well, the skylines: they were beautiful! But I disliked the simplicity and lack of diversity in city-building compared to Sim City 4. It's still better than Sim City 4's sequels though.  :-X

Oh oh.  :( Sorry to see you went through something like that, bro.

As for the thing on Social media I can see how it has improved certain things. But I also feel there there is a negative effect with it. Mainly due to the obsession people have with it. And I don't like how social media would blow things out of proportion. It could be the smallest of news or something that isn't much of a big deal, but this won't stop people from spending 5+ hours on Facebook discussing it.

Nah, it's alright. ;D

Hmm, I'm still going to need the examples of geek subculture being negatively affected by social media, because I can't really think of any.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/17 at 3:27 pm

I think just because someone is smart, or really smart, doesn't mean they're creative. I believe we're getting the two mixed up. Although there are people that are both smart and creative.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/27/17 at 3:44 pm

I agree. The changes were detrimental. I dislike how you had to "choose" the type of city you wanted to be, before you even built anything! All just to shoehorn that social aspect, because you get your friends with different types of cities to complement each other.  8-P

What I liked about Cities: Skyline was, well, the skylines: they were beautiful! But I disliked the simplicity and lack of diversity in city-building compared to Sim City 4. It's still better than Sim City 4's sequels though.  :-X

I feel the same way about Cities:Skylines.  It does a better job than any of the SimCity 4 sequels did, but it still is missing something.  The lack of building variety and customization options is a big part of that.  All of the cities, if you use the default resources, look like Soviet Bloc cities.  If you want to build an actual realistic city, SimCity 4 with STEX is still your best bet.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/29/17 at 2:45 pm

I hate how it is the popular trend to be a geek these days. Brings in too many fake geeks. I would rather it be like before where geeks had their own little secret society.

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/17 at 3:08 pm

I feel the same way about Cities:Skylines.  It does a better job than any of the SimCity 4 sequels did, but it still is missing something.  The lack of building variety and customization options is a big part of that.  All of the cities, if you use the default resources, look like Soviet Bloc cities.  If you want to build an actual realistic city, SimCity 4 with STEX is still your best bet.

The Simtropolis website is so disorganized now.  :( Before, they used to categorize building by type (residential, commercial, industrial etc.), but now they're all in a messy category called BAT. I tried to play SimCity 4 again after SimCity came out but it was not fun searching high and low for good BATs.  :(

Written By: Howard on 03/29/17 at 4:59 pm

I hate how it is the popular trend to be a geek these days. Brings in too many fake geeks. I would rather it be like before where geeks had their own little secret society.

What exactly is a "fake geek"?

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/17 at 6:53 pm

What exactly is a "fake geek"?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/52/a7/78/52a778942c3f476075ce9820c3854327.gif

I thought Slim would be a fan!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 6:58 pm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/52/a7/78/52a778942c3f476075ce9820c3854327.gif

WOWZA  :D :o. If only ALL fake female geeks were like this but technically that's more of a nerd than a geek (yes, there's a difference).

Written By: #Infinity on 03/29/17 at 7:08 pm

It doesn't matter what kind of person I am, I'll always be seen as an unworthy loser piece of junk.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 7:12 pm

It doesn't matter what kind of person I am, I'll always be seen as an unworthy loser piece of junk.

Don't say that. I think you're an awesome and strong woman.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/29/17 at 7:52 pm

Wow!  :o I may have to retract my statement now!

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/17 at 8:03 pm

I'm almost straight.  :P  :o  :P

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/29/17 at 8:29 pm

Yep...

I'm still a fag.  ;)

I actually like 2010s geek culture and I feel like it might even get even more popular unless all the kiddos decide to ditch all the geeky (kid) stuff for more things rebellious like sex, drugs, and acting up.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/29/17 at 8:43 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth. I think this video pretty much sums up my feelings on fake geeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Iz1wRR01c

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/29/17 at 8:46 pm

Yep...

I'm still a fag.  ;)

I actually like 2010s geek culture and I feel like it might even get even more popular unless all the kiddos decide to ditch all the geeky (kid) stuff for more things rebellious like sex, drugs, and acting up.

The people who've jumped on the 2010s geek bandwagon don't come off as genuine. There is no evidence to suggest this is a permanent change. It's likely the bandwagoners are just posers, who will abandon their geek facade, once it stops being fashionable.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/29/17 at 8:50 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth. I think this video pretty much sums up my feelings on fake geeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Iz1wRR01c

Eh. I look at it as a the more, the merrier kind of thing. All I know is that I've noticed people are far more relaxed about geek interests and now we get a lot more geeky programs and events made. I have no desire to wallow in victimhood and esotercism. Maybe it is a phase but I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/29/17 at 8:58 pm

Ashley thought I was nothing but a tool, somebody she built herself up in front of only to humiliate two months later. And I deserved it.

I'm sorry for what this person did to you. Ashley sounds like a sh***y person.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/29/17 at 9:07 pm

I'm sorry for what this person did to you. Ashley sounds like a sh***y person.

She's not a sh***y person, I'm the one who's sh***y because I wanted her to be in love with me. That's of course asking for far too much.

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/17 at 10:09 pm

Eh. I look at it as a the more, the merrier kind of thing. All I know is that I've noticed people are far more relaxed about geek interests and now we get a lot more geeky programs and events made. I have no desire to wallow in victimhood and esotercism. Maybe it is a phase but I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah, becoming too exclusive with the geek thing doesn't sound healthy to me. It's not like we wanted to be social outcasts, at least I didn't. ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/30/17 at 6:17 am

WOWZA  :D :o. If only ALL fake female geeks were like this but technically that's more of a nerd than a geek (yes, there's a difference).

that's what you would call a "sexy geek".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/17 at 11:48 am

that's what you would call a "sexy geek".

You're right.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/01/17 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, becoming too exclusive with the geek thing doesn't sound healthy to me. It's not like we wanted to be social outcasts, at least I didn't. ;D

Exactly. Me neither. People have become more appreciative of comics, anime, and manga. I like that. Probably one of the best things about the 2010s. Why would anyone want to lose this?

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/04/17 at 6:37 pm

Geek culture is accepted and relatively mainstream, but being an actual geek still isn't as common. A lot of people go and watch and enjoy Star Wars, but how many of them are obsessed with it?

I'm a geek myself, it's weird though, because I used to be teased for being obsessed with things like Star Wars, and now the same people who teased me tell me about how excited they are for the next Star Wars movie and how they love Star Was so much.  ;D

I still get teased (not in a mean way though) for being into a lot of the video games' lore that I play though.

Some people just get interested in things so they can make it a part of their identity as well. My sister said she loved Batman and DC randomly one day and started getting all this Batman stuff, but didn't even know much about Batman such as some normal villains like The Penguin. Didn't know who Dick Grayson was, etc. I'm not upset about people doing these things, I just find it odd, you know?

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/04/17 at 9:07 pm

That's not my point. The point is that the people whom have recently jumped the bandwagon in this decade, do not strike me as authentic. They strike me as the type of people who will just hop on the next bandwagon, once geek culture stops being popular.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/04/17 at 9:32 pm

If jock culture ever takes hold of pop culture, these former "geeks" will forever deny ever going to see the MCU movies and buying all that superhero merch. Just watch.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/04/17 at 11:24 pm

Geek culture is accepted and relatively mainstream, but being an actual geek still isn't as common. A lot of people go and watch and enjoy Star Wars, but how many of them are obsessed with it?

I'm a geek myself, it's weird though, because I used to be teased for being obsessed with things like Star Wars, and now the same people who teased me tell me about how excited they are for the next Star Wars movie and how they love Star Was so much.  ;D

I still get teased (not in a mean way though) for being into a lot of the video games' lore that I play though.

Some people just get interested in things so they can make it a part of their identity as well. My sister said she loved Batman and DC randomly one day and started getting all this Batman stuff, but didn't even know much about Batman such as some normal villains like The Penguin. Didn't know who Dick Grayson was, etc. I'm not upset about people doing these things, I just find it odd, you know?

Being obsessed with something is actually less acceptable now.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/05/17 at 12:02 am

Most of them don't know how far my obsession goes. 8-P. I tend to keep it to myself...

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 4:01 am

People get interested in things they weren't previously interested in. Whoa! Crazy! Not like all you guys who had your geeky obsessions since you were conceived!

;D

Written By: Howard on 04/05/17 at 5:24 am

You mean "anything" in general?

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 8:23 am

If jock culture ever takes hold of pop culture, these former "geeks" will forever deny ever going to see the MCU movies and buying all that superhero merch. Just watch.

Let's hope that never happens.  :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/05/17 at 10:11 pm

Let's hope that never happens.  :-X

It probably will in the 2020's as a backlash. Thank the hipsters for that one when it happens. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 10:17 pm

It probably will in the 2020's as a backlash. Thank the hipsters for that one when it happens. ::)

We mustn't be allowed to regress!

Stop hating on hipsters this instant! Just remember, it could be way worse.  :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/05/17 at 10:23 pm

We mustn't be allowed to regress!

Stop hating on hipsters this instant! Just remember, it could be way worse.  :-X

It's already terrible! Why can't we just go back to the 80's and 90's and stay there!?

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 10:26 pm

lol. Now we're just being silly at this point.  ;)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/05/17 at 10:29 pm

lol. Now we're just being silly at this point.  ;)

It's the truth! The 2020's are gonna be a jock haven and who's the blame? The hipsters.

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 10:31 pm

It's already terrible! Why can't we just go back to the 80's and 90's and stay there!?

After the jock backlash happens you'll be saying "We can't we go back to the '10s and stay there?"

It will be the decade where ringtone rap makes a comeback, except it will be iPad rap or something. Be careful what you wish for!

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 10:33 pm

It's the truth! The 2020's are gonna be a jock haven and who's the blame? The hipsters.

I guess I better prepare by learning a sport and getting fit then. I'm going to be ahead of the curve.  :)

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 10:33 pm

After the jock backlash happens you'll be saying "We can't we go back to the '10s and stay there?"

It will be the decade where ringtone rap makes a comeback, except it will be iPad rap or something. Be careful what you wish for!

HA!  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/05/17 at 10:34 pm

No, I will be saying the same thing. If your logic was true, I'd be wishing to go back to the terrible 00's... 8-P

I guess I better prepare by learning a sport and getting fit then. I'm going to be ahead of the curve.  :)

I'm gonna try getting into cricket! If that doesn't work out then maybe curling will.

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 10:37 pm

I'm gonna try getting into cricket! If that doesn't work out then maybe curling will.

And avenge your country after its humiliating defeat in the 2010 Olympics?  :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/05/17 at 10:39 pm

Yes.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/05/17 at 10:42 pm

We probably can't because the NHL just announced that the NHL won't be participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea :-\\.

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 10:52 pm

We probably can't because the NHL just announced that the NHL won't be participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea :-\\.

What?!?!?!?! NOOOOO!!!!! The late 2010s are ruined!

Getting face painted maple leafs  and going downtown to see the 2014 Olympics on the big screen on Dundas Square is one of my fondest memories. Kicking Swedish ass... it was glorious.  :\'(

I blame you anti-hipsters. You're ruining everything!

http://i.imgur.com/EmAeM3q.gif

Written By: Howard on 04/06/17 at 5:24 am

You got a time machine?  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 04/06/17 at 8:00 am

You got a time machine?  ::)

Exactly. Those eras are not coming back. Time is money, only difference is I own it, now let's stop time, and enjoy this moment.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/06/17 at 8:05 am

Exactly. Those eras are not coming back. Time is money, only difference is I own it, now let's stop time, and enjoy this moment.

Somebody ought to invent time travel though.

Written By: 2001 on 04/06/17 at 8:12 am

It's only physically possible to go to the future (as far as we know). Are you sure you want that, with jock backlashes?  :-X

Written By: #Infinity on 04/06/17 at 9:11 am

It's only physically possible to go to the future (as far as we know). Are you sure you want that, with jock backlashes?  :-X

Newer hipsters, or ghostbusters, as I've chosen to dub them (because they try to pick apart things of no substance), aren't any more accepting than jocks are.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/17 at 5:00 pm

and a time machine.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/06/17 at 5:41 pm

Newer hipsters, or ghostbusters, as I've chosen to dub them (because they try to pick apart things of no substance), aren't any more accepting than jocks are.

I don't know if anyone's noticed after all my posts but I've come to really, really hate the use of the word hipster as a pejorative. It's just a snarl word at this point. When no one identifies themselves as a hipster, anyone and everyone could be a hipster.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/17 at 5:45 pm

I don't know if anyone's noticed after all my posts but I've come to really, really hate the use of the word hipster as a pejorative. It's just a snarl word at this point. When no one identifies themselves as a hipster, anyone and everyone could be a hipster.  ::)

For me, hipsters drink Starbucks, have beards and eccentric hair. This the male hipster. Usually college age. That's a male hipster, for me!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/17 at 5:47 pm

YOU'RE OUT OF TIME!!!  8)  8)  8)  :(  :(

https://previews.123rf.com/images/tashka2000/tashka20001201/tashka2000120100020/11982449-Vector-hourglass-isolated-on-white-background-Stock-Vector-sand-time-hourglass.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 04/06/17 at 6:48 pm

At least they're not violent.  :(

Sounds like something a hipster would say.  >:( (just kidding)

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/06/17 at 9:32 pm

Sounds like something a hipster would say.  >:( (just kidding)

I knew I ran the risk of someone saying that when I wrote my post.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 04/06/17 at 9:41 pm

For me, hipsters drink Starbucks, have beards and eccentric hair. This the male hipster. Usually college age. That's a male hipster, for me!

I always found the Starbucks and hipster thing funny since Starbucks is extremely mainstream. Kind of like an oxymoron.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/06/17 at 10:44 pm

Well, ghostbusters can be verbally violent. It's better than rape or murder, so they're above psychopaths and criminals, but they're not necessarily more benign than jocks!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/17 at 11:05 pm

I always found the Starbucks and hipster thing funny since Starbucks is extremely mainstream. Kind of like an oxymoron.

;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/06/17 at 11:11 pm

Well, ghostbusters can be verbally violent. It's better than rape or murder, so they're above psychopaths and criminals, but they're not necessarily more benign than jocks!

Verbally violent? Online or in real life? Online, blocked. In real life, I get out my gun... oh wait, I don't have one.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 04/07/17 at 7:25 am

and sing poetry at lounges.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/07/17 at 9:10 am

Verbally violent? Online or in real life? Online, blocked. In real life, I get out my gun... oh wait, I don't have one.  :-X

Online mostly of course, however they'll still spit venomous insults at you in person in many cases when you don't deserve it. I did at least distinguish them from actual murderers, but in many ways, they'll torment you just as badly as jocks, if not to an even worse degree because at least jocks aren't hypocrites who profess themselves as equality-loving progressives when really their mentalities are no less conformist than the 1950s, just under a different guise.

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 1:27 pm

Online mostly of course, however they'll still spit venomous insults at you in person in many cases when you don't deserve it. I did at least distinguish them from actual murderers, but in many ways, they'll torment you just as badly as jocks, if not to an even worse degree because at least jocks aren't hypocrites who profess themselves as equality-loving progressives when really their mentalities are no less conformist than the 1950s, just under a different guise.

I can't say I witnessed any of this. I haven't met any rude/mean people in public in ages.  :-X

Written By: #Infinity on 04/07/17 at 3:10 pm

I can't say I witnessed any of this. I haven't met any rude/mean people in public in ages.  :-X

Maybe that's because you're able to more comfortably adapt to the rigid culture of the day that isn't nearly as welcoming of people like Jordan and me?

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 3:35 pm

Maybe that's because you're able to more comfortably adapt to the rigid culture of the day that isn't nearly as welcoming of people like Jordan and me?

Hmm... depends. Do you have specific examples?

My family and a lot of my friends are very conservative, others are very progressive. People from different countries, different languages, different class backgrounds, different lines of work etc. Despite this I move in and out of different groups pretty seamlessly without verbal abuse.  :-X

Written By: #Infinity on 04/07/17 at 4:38 pm

Hmm... depends. Do you have specific examples?

Well, in general I've just met a lot of people who lie in front of my face and backstab me, coming off as a possible friend at first glance but then ignoring me or disposing me like a rotten tampon. This applies not just to many of the individuals I've met on dating sites, but also some former classmates, plus a couple of people I was in an improvisation workshop with. I tried to befriend them because they seemed easy going and interesting in person, but they turned out to be devastatingly cliquey and exclusionary when I tried to stay in touch with them via Facebook, with one flat-out ignoring my friend requests despite accepting plenty others in the class, and the other deliberately and shamelessly ignoring me when I tried to spark an online conversation with him one evening. Both of these people were liberals, yet both hurt my feelings far worse than any jock has in the past. Granted, this was 5 years ago, before I was even out of the closet, but they were still prime examples of the toxic phoniness that has since come to dominate today's culture.

I'm sure Jordan has dealt with a lot of other people like this himself; I still remember him mentioning the extremist punk fan at the record store, as well as the woman who schemed to get a coworker fired over what was apparently a fairly benign joke.

My family and a lot of my friends are very conservative, others are very progressive. People from different countries, different languages, different class backgrounds, different lines of work etc. Despite this I move in and out of different groups pretty seamlessly without verbal abuse.  :-X

Maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know. Perhaps Canadians are just more wholsome than Californians are for the most part.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/07/17 at 6:30 pm

The worst one had to be that guy who freaked out at me when I told him to see a doctor if he thinks he has ADD. I always try to extend my hand when I hear about that stuff. I wasn't even rude or judgemental about it. I just told him about my experiences and how seeing a doctor and getting therapy and/or the right medications can really help out with all the stress, headaches and other bullsh!t that comes along with it but he decided to get pissed off at me go on a tirade about the "corrupt" medical industry because his self-diagnosis is much better than a medical professionals opinion. Nobody forced or tried to sell anything to me at all. Hell, I didn't even start taking meds well into my 20's since I refused to touch the stuff in my teens. It doesn't make sense the way these people think.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/17 at 8:01 pm

Are you a Californian?

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 8:04 pm

Well, in general I've just met a lot of people who lie in front of my face and backstab me, coming off as a possible friend at first glance but then ignoring me or disposing me like a rotten tampon. This applies not just to many of the individuals I've met on dating sites, but also some former classmates, plus a couple of people I was in an improvisation workshop with. I tried to befriend them because they seemed easy going and interesting in person, but they turned out to be devastatingly cliquey and exclusionary when I tried to stay in touch with them via Facebook, with one flat-out ignoring my friend requests despite accepting plenty others in the class, and the other deliberately and shamelessly ignoring me when I tried to spark an online conversation with him one evening. Both of these people were liberals, yet both hurt my feelings far worse than any jock has in the past. Granted, this was 5 years ago, before I was even out of the closet, but they were still prime examples of the toxic phoniness that has since come to dominate today's culture.

I'm sure Jordan has dealt with a lot of other people like this himself; I still remember him mentioning the extremist punk fan at the record store, as well as the woman who schemed to get a coworker fired over what was apparently a fairly benign joke.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know. Perhaps Canadians are just more wholsome than Californians are for the most part.

That's unfortunate what you went through. Yeah, some people can be exclusionary and socially clueless. I don't know if it has much to do with politics though. What someone's beliefs are is not always in tune with how they behave. I mean, if correlation with belief and behaviour were really all that strong, then religion would be useful.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X Although I could see though how being progressive can create a moral licensing effect where a person thinks being progressive gives them to write act immorally in other situations.

But jocks... that explicitly means violence, and hooliganism. That would be a societal dark age.  We need to take steps to avoid this, like banning all sport activities, except eSports.  :-X

The worst one had to be that guy who freaked out at me when I told him to see a doctor if he thinks he has ADD. I always try to extend my hand when I hear about that stuff. I wasn't even rude or judgemental about it. I just told him about my experiences and how seeing a doctor and getting therapy and/or the right medications can really help out with all the stress, headaches and other bullsh!t that comes along with it but he decided to get pissed off at me go on a tirade about the "corrupt" medical industry because his self-diagnosis is much better than a medical professionals opinion. Nobody forced or tried to sell anything to me at all. Hell, I didn't even start taking meds well into my 20's since I refused to touch the stuff in my teens. It doesn't make sense the way these people think.

Okay that one is definitely a cultural difference. We have single-payer healthcare! Canadians love government.  :-X Although there are new-age people who only take herbal (non-silent h) medicine because "Western medicine" has "too many chemicals". My neighbour has a "Herbal Medicine" and "Lost 10 lbs in one month!" sign on her yard. If I lost 10 pounds in a month there'd be an intervention!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/17 at 8:06 pm

Sometimes a person isn't always a perfect match to their city, or even state. Like I'm from Nebraskan, but the whole 'manly, masculine, stoic, male, Nebraska guy/man' isn't for me. I like guys, and girls, who are extroverted and who like to talk. And talk about things besides football and sports.

I have more of a North Easterner's personality, I'm loud, extroverted, a little egotistical ( :-[  :P), scholarly, and like people who aren't passive in their communication.

I've learned to love Nebraska, and its people. more as I have gotten older, but it's not a natural match, and there's miscommunication if I'm not careful! But yeah, I've met a lot of cool people in Nebraska and my city, but it was a while in me acclimatizing to the Midwest's culture and atmosphere.

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 9:10 pm

Sometimes a person isn't always a perfect match to their city, or even state. Like I'm from Nebraskan, but the whole 'manly, masculine, stoic, male, Nebraska guy/man' isn't for me. I like guys, and girls, who are extroverted and who like to talk. And talk about things besides football and sports.

I have more of a North Easterner's personality, I'm loud, extroverted, a little egotistical ( :-[  :P), scholarly, and like people who aren't passive in their communication.

I've learned to love Nebraska, and its people. more as I have gotten older, but it's not a natural match, and there's miscommunication if I'm not careful! But yeah, I've met a lot of cool people in Nebraska and my city, but it was a while in me acclimatizing to the Midwest's culture and atmosphere.

So basically you're part of the coastal liberal elite and look down on the rest of us! Are you going to join the intelligentsia and the globalist banker clubs?

If the Northeast is anything like Toronto though, people aren't that loud or extroverted actually. People are very reserved and private, though polite and kind. Social harmony is more important than your loud mouth! But that's Toronto, I'm just assuming the Northeast is similar. 

Toronto is the perfect match for me. Sometimes it's very cut-throat, fast-paced, and unforgiving, but when you want look for it, there's a friendly, supportive, and neighbourly side to it as well. Paradoxically, It feels like both a 7 million people city and a thousand small villages smashed together. I guess they don't call us "The city of neighbourhoods" for nothing. ;D

I love my old region of Hamilton–Niagara as well. Half the population is stoned at any given moment, so it's very chill and laid back and connected to nature, so I make sure to visit old friends on weekends.  :-X :-X

My ideal city is Singapore. I'm a fan of the nanny and police state, and "Father Knows Best" style governance.  :-X :-X :-X :-X Okay, but really I like the competitive atmosphere and their hyper efficiency, I just wish it were more democratic and progressive (less homophobia/sexism/racism).

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/17 at 9:29 pm

So basically you're part of the coastal liberal elite and look down on the rest of us! Are you going to join the intelligentsia and the globalist banker clubs?

If the Northeast is anything like Toronto though, people aren't that loud or extroverted actually. People are very reserved and private, though polite and kind. Social harmony is more important than your loud mouth! But that's Toronto, I'm just assuming the Northeast is similar. 

Toronto is the perfect match for me. Sometimes it's very cut-throat, fast-paced, and unforgiving, but when you want look for it, there's a friendly, supportive, and neighbourly side to it as well. Paradoxically, It feels like both a 7 million people city and a thousand small villages smashed together. I guess they don't call us "The city of neighbourhoods" for nothing. ;D

I love my old region of Hamilton–Niagara as well. Half the population is stoned at any given moment, so it's very chill and laid back and connected to nature, so I make sure to visit old friends on weekends.  :-X :-X

My ideal city is Singapore. I'm a fan of the nanny and police state, and "Father Knows Best" style governance.  :-X :-X :-X :-X Okay, but really I like the competitive atmosphere and their hyper efficiency, I just wish it were more democratic and progressive (less homophobia/sexism/racism).

I'm guessing that 'loud' thing about the Northeast is a prejudice, or haters hating. I'm sure New Yorkers are just like everyone else! But I'm sure there are parts of the Northeast that is very competitive.

Oh God, am I unconsciously a Liberal? And I never knew it until today??  :D  :D  :o  :o  :o  :(

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 9:55 pm

I'm guessing that 'loud' thing about the Northeast is a prejudice, or haters hating. I'm sure New Yorkers are just like everyone else! But I'm sure there are parts of the Northeast that is very competitive.

Oh God, am I unconsciously a Liberal? And I never knew it until today??  :D  :D  :o  :o  :o  :(

Maybe it is loud. I mean, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders... I could see it.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/17 at 10:15 pm

Maybe it is loud. I mean, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders... I could see it.  :-X

Not this, Loud?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oGWUryHnVXk/UFTxYbhw-TI/AAAAAAAAE10/n0BMOnyZgUo/s800/Random%2520J%2520pop%2520%2528Album%2520review%2529%2520Rihanna%2520-%2520Loud.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...