inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When was your first experience with smartphones?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/17 at 6:15 pm

I know the iPhone was released in 2007 and other smartphones followed soon after but most people couldn't afford them then and didn't have smartphones until the early 2010s. 2011 was the year that smartphones took off in popularity and become widespread in usage.

Here is my story about my first experience with smartphones:

I was born in 1999 and I remember when I was 7-10 (2006-2009) during the late 2000s, I thought the height of phone technology was the T-Mobile Sidekicks. Those were mostly used by teenagers at the time (those ages 16-19, not really 13-15) and I was jealous of them and really wished I was there age, lol. The Sidekick blew my mind when I first got to use one. Back then, I didn't even know of the word smartphone much less or even the fact that the first iPhone came out in 2007. I remember when I was 12 and in the 7th grade (during the fall of 2011) was when I first started hearing about the word "smartphone" but I still didn't know what it was. For the longest, I was confused and thought to myself: "What's the difference between a smartphone and a regular phone?" and "If there are smartphones then what are dumb phones?"  ;D. Some of my classmates recently got smartphones at the time and during lunch I saw them using some futuristic and "alien" looking like piece of technology (aka smartphones) and they were playing games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Doodle Jump and they weren't like anything I'd seen before and it was pretty cool and mind blowing. Then, I asked one of my friends what was the name of the futuristic device he was using was called and he said "It's a smartphone dude".......MY MIND WAS IMMEDIATELY F*CKING BLOWN.  ;D ;D ;D. Finally, I found about what people were talking about when they said "smartphones". However, I didn't get a smartphone until January 2014 (I was 14 1/2 years old).

What's YOUR story?

Subject: Re: When was your first experience with smartphones?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 03/28/17 at 6:40 pm

I first heard about the term "smartphone" in 2010, around the time the iPad was released. There was a lot of hype surrounding smartphones and what they were capable of doing. Like ReignMan, I thought smartphones were "futuristic" and I genuinely thought that they were pretty exciting. I personally didn't receive my first phone until Christmas 2011, roughly three months before my 13th birthday. My first phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. The only reason why I received a phone, was because I was starting High School in the following month.

To be honest, it wouldn't worry me if I didn't own a smartphone (or a phone, for that matter) today. I only use my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini) on the odd occasion. I'm guilty of leaving my phone turned off or only having it on silent. :P I just don't like the fact that smartphones are drifting people apart.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/17 at 6:47 pm

I first heard about the term "smartphone" in 2010, around the time the iPad was released. There was a lot of hype surrounding smartphones and what they were capable of doing. Like ReignMan, I thought smartphones were "futuristic" and I genuinely thought that they were pretty exciting. I personally didn't receive my first phone until Christmas 2011, roughly three months before my 13th birthday. My first phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. The only reason why I received a phone, was because I was starting High School in the following month.

To be honest, it wouldn't worry me if I didn't own a smartphone (or a phone, for that matter) today. I only use my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini) on the odd occasion. I'm guilty of leaving my phone turned off or only having it on silent. :P I just don't like the fact that smartphones are drifting people apart.

Interesting personal story. Also, I could live without my smartphone, I did it for over a decade.

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/17 at 6:52 pm

I heard 'smartphone' in 2008, I believe, when reading about the iPhone. I first got to use a classemate's iPhone sometime in spring 2009. To me it was just an 'iPod phone', although that it could access the Internet was pretty cool, but most websites back then weren't optimized for phones so it felt like a waste of money. ;D

My brother got his iPhone 3GS in late 2009, and I was a bit jealous but didn't want to drop down too much money, he was definitely living paycheque to paycheque in high school LOL.

I got an iPod Touch for my 17th birthday in early 2010, but I detested the thing to be honest, the battery died down very quickly and it was slow as f*ck. It was amazing for podcasts though. In summer 2010 I started shopping around for my first smartphone (I was thinking of getting the Sony Xperia X10), but waited until September 2010 when I got my first full-time job to drop $700 down on a Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.1. Changed my life, I loved the thing to death! I was the cool kid on the block/at work for about a year. People always stole my phone to play Angry Birds or watch YouTube videos on my 500MB of data, and handed back the phone to me with battery drained. Mess!  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/17 at 7:01 pm

I heard 'smartphone' in 2008, I believe, when reading about the iPhone. I first got to use a classemate's iPhone sometime in spring 2009. To me it was just an 'iPod phone', although that it could access the Internet was pretty cool, but most websites back then weren't optimized for phones so it felt like a waste of money. ;D

My brother got his iPhone 3GS in late 2009, and I was a bit jealous but didn't want to drop down too much money, he was definitely living paycheque to paycheque in high school LOL.

I got an iPod Touch for my 17th birthday in early 2010, but I detested the thing to be honest, the battery died down very quickly and it was slow as f*ck. It was amazing for podcasts though. In summer 2010 I started shopping around for my first smartphone (I was thinking of getting the Sony Xperia X10), but waited until September 2010 when I got my first full-time job to drop $700 down on a Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.1. Changed my life, I loved the thing to death! I was the cool kid on the block/at work for about a year. People always stole my phone to play Angry Birds or watch YouTube videos on my 500MB of data, and handed back the phone to me with battery drained. Mess!  ;D

FATALITY!  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/28/17 at 7:28 pm

I remember seeing the first iPhone ad in mid 2007. It was fascinating to me, but it was like an iPod the first time I saw it. I never really thought of it as a phone, since most cell phones at the time were either flip phones or slider phones. The first time I saw it being everywhere was around 2010, when everyone I knew had an iPhone. I cared more about iPads at the time, since I seemed a bit too young to have a cell phone. I did get an iPhone in Christmas 2014, but I didn't like it as much as my computer.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/17 at 8:51 pm

I had a Handspring Treo smartphone way back in 2004. It rocked.  8)

Written By: Brian06 on 03/28/17 at 11:24 pm

My first experience with a smartphone actually dates back to 2003 when I was 16. I had a Palm Tungsten W for a little while, this was a PDA like device that had a phone though you only use the phone with headset on. It was a pretty clunky device and not that great so I ended up taking it back and got a Nokia 3650 which was also technically a smartphone though more user friendly. These things both sucked big time compared to modern smartphones though. The Nokia 3650 was also a camera phone. They technically both had the "internet" but data was extremely slow and the browsers did not work well.

https://www.cnet.com/products/palm-tungsten-w-series/review/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3650

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/17 at 11:33 pm

My first experience with a smartphone actually dates back to 2003 when I was 16. I had a Palm Tungsten W for a little while, this was a PDA like device that had a phone though you only use the phone with headset on. It was a pretty clunky device and not that great so I ended up taking it back and got a Nokia 3650 which was also technically a smartphone though more user friendly. These things both sucked big time compared to modern smartphones though. The Nokia 3650 was also a camera phone. They technically both had the "internet" but data was extremely slow and the browsers did not work well.

https://www.cnet.com/products/palm-tungsten-w-series/review/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3650

I really taking about modern smartphones. The first "smartphone" was technically the IBM Simon which was released in 1994. However, the IBM Simon is nothing like the smartphones of today. The original iPhone was the first MODERN smartphone. However, your story is pretty cool and interesting. That type of tech seems primitive nowadays.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/28/17 at 11:39 pm

I really taking about modern smartphones. The first "smartphone" was technically the IBM Simon which was released in I believe 1992. However, the IBM Simon is nothing like the smartphones of today. The original iPhone was the first MODERN smartphone. However, your story is pretty cool and interesting. That type of tech seems primitive nowadays.

For modern smartphones, it was the very first iPhone for me right when it came out in 2007. I knew eventually it would be a game changer back then because it was the first one that seemingly had a useable web browser, though it wasn't quite fully ready back then but provided a bit of a preview at the future. It also had a good music player and video player which was actually cutting edge amazingly then since most if not all phones back then had horrible interfaces for media. The 3.5" screen also seemed really big back then that's weird to think now, now that size is so tiny seeming.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/17 at 11:42 pm

For modern smartphones, it was the very first iPhone for me right when it came out in 2007. I knew eventually it would be a game changer back then because it was the first one that seemingly had a useable web browser, though it wasn't quite fully ready back then but provided a bit of a preview at the future. It also had a good music player and video player which was actually cutting edge amazingly then since most if not all phones back then had horrible interfaces for media. The 3.5" screen also seemed really big back then that's weird to think now, now that size is so tiny seeming.

Yeah, even the first iPhone is (somewhat) outdated now. That's how fast smartphone technology has progressed and been become widespread in the past 10 years.

Written By: nally on 03/29/17 at 1:30 am

Probably in 2013 when my mom first got one, but I never have actually owned one. Someday I'd like to, though.

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/29/17 at 3:00 am

I heard about it, I think in the 2008/9 school year, but I didn't research it. It sounded complex. A few people had one, but I thought these were fancy iPods. I myself got a smartphone in early 2014, after my mid-00s Nokia gave up by falling in the toilet, and I still use that one. Since 2004, this is my third phone. I always thought it remarkable that many people seem to drop or lose their phones so often.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/29/17 at 7:00 am

I heard about it, I think in the 2008/9 school year, but I didn't research it. It sounded complex. A few people had one, but I thought these were fancy iPods. I myself got a smartphone in early 2014, after my mid-00s Nokia gave up by falling in the toilet, and I still use that one. Since 2004, this is my third phone. I always thought it remarkable that many people seem to drop or lose their phones so often.

I've dropped two phones in toilets. They both worked fine after I carefully cleaned them off and dried them.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/29/17 at 10:18 am

Yeah, even the first iPhone is (somewhat) outdated now. That's how fast smartphone technology has progressed and been become widespread in the past 10 years.

The first iPhone is probably outdated as hell. Even though in 2007, not a lot of people used the iPhone as they do today.

Written By: Ripley on 03/29/17 at 10:52 am

Sometime in 2012

Written By: Slim95 on 03/29/17 at 2:36 pm

The first IPhone is very outdated now. It looks much older than 10 years. It's almost as if you can't even put the smartphones today in the same category as the smartphones from 2007. The phones out today should be called superphones to distinguish them.

I got my first smartphone in 2012. It was a Samsung Galaxy S3. I thought it was so cool at the time but today it is a piece of junk haha.

Written By: annimal on 03/29/17 at 2:48 pm

I just got my first smart phone. I hate ending up double clicking on the touch screen.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 2:53 pm

The first IPhone is very outdated now. It looks much older than 10 years. It's almost as if you can't even put the smartphones today in the same category as the smartphones from 2007. The phones out today should be called superphones to distinguish them.

I got my first smartphone in 2012. It was a Samsung Galaxy S3. I thought it was so cool at the time but today it is a piece of junk haha.

I agree. Phones nowadays are definetly superphones.  ;D

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/29/17 at 3:45 pm

It was a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I have the mini for three years now. Still works fine! I prefer the mini-version because it fits easy in the pocket. The trend towards tablet-phones is quite strange I think.

I wonder what devices we will have in the 2020s. Will the smartphone continue? Will we get holographic phones?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 3:48 pm

I have the mini for three years now. Still works fine! I prefer the mini-version because it fits easy in the pocket. The trend towards tablet-phones is quite strange I think.

I wonder what devices we will have in the 2020s. Will the smartphone continue? Will we get holographic phones?

That would be INSANELY cool but I don't think those type of tech will exist until the 2030s-2050s.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/17 at 3:53 pm

The first iPhone is probably outdated as hell. Even though in 2007, not a lot of people used the iPhone as they do today.

Yeah it didn't even have apps at first. The screen is tiny and poor quality by today's standards. It also had very slow 2G data and no GPS.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 3:55 pm

Yeah it didn't even have apps at first. The screen is tiny and poor quality by today's standards. It also had very slow 2G data and no GPS.

Yeah, it's crazy how far and fast we've progressed in just 10 years. BTW, when did you personally first hear about or get a smartphone?

Written By: Howard on 03/29/17 at 4:57 pm

I've dropped two phones in toilets. They both worked fine after I carefully cleaned them off and dried them.

Were you talking on it while being on the toilet?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/17 at 5:07 pm

Yeah, it's crazy how far and fast we've progressed in just 10 years. BTW, when did you personally first hear about or get a smartphone?

I posted earlier that I originally first got a smartphone in 2003 actually. I actually probably first heard about them in like 2002, I remember seeing the Palm Treos/Windows Mobile smartphones in the stores back in the day. Before that I remember PDAs (like Palm Pilot) that didn't have phones around the very late '90s-2000. In the '90s I remember digital organizers being popular. It's all this gradual progression.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 5:09 pm

I posted earlier that I originally first got a smartphone in 2003 actually. I actually probably first heard about them in like 2002, I remember seeing the Palm Treos/Windows Mobile smartphones in the stores back in the day. Before that I remember PDAs (like Palm Pilot) that didn't have phones around the very late '90s-2000. In the '90s I remember digital organizers being popular. It's all this gradual progression.

OH I remember (sorry about that  :P). However, when did you first know about or encounter a MODERN smartphone (like the iPhone 4, for example)?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/17 at 5:11 pm

OH I remember (sorry about that  :P). However, when did you first know about or encounter a MODERN smartphone (like the iPhone 4, for example)?

Well I had the first iPhone in 2007, then the iPhone 3G in 2008. First Android phone I used was the myTouch 3G in 2009. I got the iPhone 4 in 2010. Yeah I've had a TON of them.  ;D Today I use a iPhone 7 Plus btw.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 5:13 pm

Well I had the first iPhone in 2007, then the iPhone 3G in 2008. First Android phone I used was the myTouch 3G in 2009. I got the iPhone 4 in 2010. Yeah I've had a TON of them.  ;D Today I use a iPhone 7 Plus btw.

You must have a good to great paying job.  :P  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/17 at 5:16 pm

You must have a good to great paying job.  :P  ;D

I actually got it on a deal on it through Verizon during the holidays. I make payments with the financing. I got it for like half off essentially, like $19/$20 a month (for the phone) instead of the normal $36. I'm not rich but I do ok now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/17 at 5:20 pm

I actually got it on a deal on it through Verizon during the holidays. I make payments with the financing. I got it for like half off essentially, like $19/$20 a month (for the phone) instead of the normal $36. I'm not rich but I do ok now.

OK cool. You'll probably get the iPhone 50 as well  ;D (plot twist: it's a mind control chip that's implanted into your brain)  :(  :D.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/29/17 at 7:33 pm

Yeah my Galaxy S3 completely died because of the battery.

I am hoping by 2030 smartphones won't be a thing anymore and will be replaced with something new. I think in the 20s we will have some holographic type smartphones.

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/30/17 at 6:12 am

Yeah my Galaxy S3 completely died because of the battery.

I am hoping by 2030 smartphones won't be a thing anymore and will be replaced with something new. I think in the 20s we will have some holographic type smartphones.

Yes, the battery needs so much recharging..

Written By: annimal on 03/30/17 at 10:20 am

I usually keep my phone locked unless my mom tells me I have to turn it on.  All her whining in the past to not waste electricity and she wan'rs me to have a phone on that I'm going to need to charge every day.

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/17 at 5:46 pm

I usually keep my phone locked unless my mom tells me I have to turn it on.  All her whining in the past to not waste electricity and she wan'rs me to have a phone on that I'm going to need to charge every day.

Charging overnight costs less money, since it's off peak hours.  :)

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/30/21 at 6:37 am

I think I first saw one like late 2010, started seeing lots of people with them from around mid 2011 and pretty much everyone and their mothers had one by 2013. I didn't actually own a smartphone until 2014 since I was a hipster edgelord 13 year old who thought i was too mature and cool for smartphones. When I got mine I became glued to it overnight.

Written By: Sman12 on 09/30/21 at 11:41 pm

Even as a Gen Zer, I somewhat knew of a world without smartphone dependence, and I remember looking at someone's first-gen iPhone back in 2008 in one of my old churches with the iconic "Slide to unlock" home screen with the goldfish. The only tech equivalent to seeing that would be the DS, but those were two touch-capacitive touchscreens stacked together. The iPhone had one touchscreen without keys. It was visually mind-blowing.

But it wasn't until 2010/2011 when my parents actually had smartphones (the Samsung/HTC kind), and it wasn't until 2015 when I had my first phone, which was a Galaxy S4 (I actually had to get another S4 after I broke the screen of the first one lol).

Written By: nally on 09/30/21 at 11:41 pm

This year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/21 at 3:46 am

Around 2011 or 2012.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/21 at 4:37 am

This year.

Same here, I didn't get mine until later in the year, I went from cell phones then to smartphones afterwards.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/02/21 at 1:35 pm

In 2011 when I got the iPhone4 which was the first and last iPhone ever. Made the switch to Android (Sony Xperia)and never looked back. This year I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, mainly due to the camera quality.

Written By: nally on 10/02/21 at 4:28 pm

Same here, I didn't get mine until later in the year, I went from cell phones then to smartphones afterwards.

I got mine as a birthday gift this year, which is why I never had an experience with one before then. But both my parents have each had one since the mid-2010s.

And I enjoy having mine; it's a very useful tool. I can use my Facebook app to "check in" at a place; I can check MLB (baseball) scores on the go; I can even check the weather for whatever location I'm currently in.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/21 at 5:46 pm

2013. I forgot which phone it was though.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/21 at 6:46 pm

2003, I bought a Palm Treo when they first came out.  8)

Written By: Howard on 10/03/21 at 7:01 am

I got mine as a birthday gift this year, which is why I never had an experience with one before then. But both my parents have each had one since the mid-2010s.

And I enjoy having mine; it's a very useful tool. I can use my Facebook app to "check in" at a place; I can check MLB (baseball) scores on the go; I can even check the weather for whatever location I'm currently in.

I love having a smartphone now and before I owned a flip phone and I was a bit jealous of My Parents cause I was the only one in The Family that didn't have one.

Written By: nally on 10/03/21 at 1:33 pm

I love having a smartphone now and before I owned a flip phone and I was a bit jealous of My Parents cause I was the only one in The Family that didn't have one.

I can relate. O0

Written By: Howard on 10/03/21 at 1:51 pm

I can relate. O0

I remember many years ago when the whole family had flip phones.

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/21 at 7:53 pm

2010.  All my friends had one but I didn't want to endure the cost of even having a phone.  I was working for T-Mobile at the time and through that, I decided to investigate what phone I wanted.  I've never been a bandwagon jumper, and I liked the look of the Windows Phone, so I got a Nokia Lumia 920, my first ever phone.  I stuck with Windows phones until they stopped making them

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 7:28 am

...when I put my phone to my ear and said hello.

Written By: kr37 on 10/04/21 at 3:21 pm

Probably around 2012, although I didn't get my first smartphone until 2015. Even though touchscreens had existed earlier, I hadn't really realized that so I was amazed when I got to use an iPad for the first time in 2010. I got to use it for an assignment I worked on with a group of students in school, and I was so excited to take notes for my group because I got to use a touchscreen! It seems much more normal to me now because touchscreens are much more common.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/21 at 4:00 pm

I had my first smartphone in November of 2012 and I thought I was extremely late. It seems most of you guys got it in 2012 too. But I distinctly remember everyone having one in 2011 except me.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/21 at 4:00 pm

Hell I even think before 2011 everyone had one.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 10/04/21 at 7:03 pm

I went to a rich high school so I'd seen smart phones since the late 2000s. I didn't understand them at first; I thought they had very limited internet capabilities, like flip-phones sometimes did, not full web browsers.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/04/21 at 8:04 pm

I went to a rich high school so I'd seen smart phones since the late 2000s. I didn't understand them at first; I thought they had very limited internet capabilities, like flip-phones sometimes did, not full web browsers.

Same I didn't understand the hype at first.

Written By: karen on 10/07/21 at 1:13 am

I got my first smart phone in 2019. I needed to replace my old Nokia (which I really liked) so I bought another Nokia.

My husband has had one through work since 2007. His first one was a BlackBerry.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 11/19/21 at 3:43 pm

My dad got his first iPod Touch for his birthday on 3-31-09. Me & my sister fell in love with mobile gaming, it was a new & exciting frontier back then

Written By: Howard on 11/20/21 at 6:50 am

I would have to say a few years ago when one of my friends had one but I didn't at the time.

Check for new replies or respond here...