inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Cultural "Game-Changers" of the 2010s

Written By: bigdsketch on 03/30/17 at 6:29 am

What do you guys think were the cultural "game changers" of the 2010s. In other words, what things shifted culture so much this decade that it changed certain areas of culture, that the 2010s would not be the same without them?

Subject: Re: The Cultural "Game-Changers" of the 2010s

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/30/17 at 10:17 am

I think the popularity of modern tablets swifted the force of mobile gaming's popularity. In other words, I think mobile gaming is dominant within today's gaming community.

Written By: the2001 on 03/30/17 at 10:46 am

What do you guys think were the cultural "game changers" of the 2010s. In other words, what things shifted culture so much this decade that it changed certain areas of culture, that the 2010s would not be the same without them?

Snapchat, so many things got leaked because of them,  Okcupid/POF Changed the face of Dating, also Tinder (but now that site has lost like 87% of popularity)
Sling Tv /Playstation Vue,  Cable tv via the Internet pretty much.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/30/17 at 11:24 am

* Gay marriage's triumph in the United States Supreme Court, plus the numerous countries that have legalized it this decade.
* The breakthrough success of Netflix Original Series in 2013. Since then, most people's pasttime has been dominated by binge-watching on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon rather than catching their latest show on the living room television. Online television series had been popular sincd the late 2000s, but they quickly went from being primarily domimated by YouTube and short, independent web series to major studios producing a wide variety of content exclusive to streaming services.
* The unexpected election of Donald Trump. There had already been a sociopolitical storm building for the past several years, but 2010s protest culture took on a whole new meaning after this calamity. Nowadays, not only are crazy news stories about the President spreading like wildfire, but countless advertisements, events, performances, and media art pieces are slipping in not-so-subtle promotions of diversity in defiance of Trump's bigoted, spiteful proposals.
* Potentially the rise of VR headsets, but it's still too early to tell whether they'll go the way of the iPhone or the laserdisk.
* Nintendo's sharp decline in home console success.
* The bold success of The Avengers, solidifying the Marvel Cinematic Universe, transforming superheroes into one of the biggest crazes of the decade, and encouraging several other franchises to adopt the cinematic universe format.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/30/17 at 11:38 am

* Gay marriage's triumph in the United States Supreme Court, plus the numerous countries that have legalized it this decade.
* The breakthrough success of Netflix Original Series in 2013. Since then, most people's pasttime has been dominated by binge-watching on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon rather than catching their latest show on the living room television. Online television series had been popular sincd the late 2000s, but they quickly went from being primarily domimated by YouTube and short, independent web series to major studios producing a wide variety of content exclusive to streaming services.
* The unexpected election of Donald Trump. There had already been a sociopolitical storm building for the past several years, but 2010s protest culture took on a whole new meaning after this calamity. Nowadays, not only are crazy news stories about the President spreading like wildfire, but countless advertisements, events, performances, and media art pieces are slipping in not-so-subtle promotions of diversity in defiance of Trump's bigoted, spiteful proposals.
* Potentially the rise of VR headsets, but it's still too early to tell whether they'll go the way of the iPhone or the laserdisk.
* The bold success of The Avengers, solidifying the Marvel Cinematic Universe, transforming superheroes into one of the biggest crazes of the decade, and encouraging several other franchises to adopt the cinematic universe format.

Infinity pretty much putting the points that I thought of.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/17 at 11:49 am

You touched pretty much every point.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 03/30/17 at 12:22 pm

No more needs to be said than Pitbull's The Boatlift from 2007. That album started the 2010s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/30/17 at 6:01 pm

No more needs to be said than Pitbull's The Boatlift from 2007. That album started the 2010s.

And now I can finally focus all my hate on that Pitbull album for making us live through the 2010s. If you listen close enough you'll hear little whispers in his songs about the dawn of SJWs and Donald Trump winning the election. There was also a small bit about how he wanted to be a hipster in the future.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/17 at 6:39 pm

Trump's election blew the hell out of the left, for better or worse.

I think for the better. The left will win big time in 2018 and 2020.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/17 at 6:45 pm

I wish the SJW movement would die. Self absorbed people as hell!  ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/30/17 at 6:48 pm

Same here. The day where SJWs realized they aren't reached their goals is the same day I'll finally be okay with being a liberal.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/17 at 6:51 pm

Same here. The day where SJWs realized they aren't reached their goals is the same day I'll finally be okay with being a liberal.

Trump's presidency will just give them more ammo to push their points of views!
I think the worst ones are in the USA, I'm not sure how the SJWs are like worldwide.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/17 at 7:00 pm

Look I'm not fond of most SJWs either but however if you lean liberal on the political spectrum then SJWs shouldn't make you "scared" to identify as liberal. That is like if a conservative feels "scared" to identify as conservative because of the Tea Party.

Personally, I identify myself as liberal and I see myself as a mixture of Robert F. Kennedy and George McGovern.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 03/30/17 at 8:00 pm

Trump's presidency will just give them more ammo to push their points of views!
I think the worst ones are in the USA, I'm not sure how the SJWs are like worldwide.

I don't even know what SJWs are, to be honest!  :-[

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/30/17 at 8:06 pm

Look I'm not fond of most SJWs either but however if you lean liberal on the political spectrum then SJWs shouldn't make you "scared" to identify as liberal. That is like if a conservative feels "scared" to identify as conservative because of the Tea Party.

Personally, I identify myself as liberal and I see myself as a mixture of Robert F. Kennedy and George McGovern.

Except SJWs aren't traditionally liberal, where most of them have offensive views. Especially on white straight males.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/17 at 8:13 pm

Except SJWs aren't traditionally liberal, where most of them have offensive views. Especially on white straight males.

And the Tea Party isn't traditionally conservative, where most of them have offensive views. Especially on minorities.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/30/17 at 9:01 pm

To be honest at this point no one truly knows what a SJW even is anymore. You see they originally had a set view and goal, but their actions throughout the years show that they have slightly different ideas in mind. They were originally supported the idea of having socially progressive views like  feminism, civil rights and multiculturalism. Problem is that a lot of SJWs are shallow and don't even strongly believe the things that they're fighting for. OR they have a terribly strong belief in what they're fighting for and often go to unnecessary extremes to try get their points across. I can understand their goals, but I don't like how they act upon completing said goals.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/30/17 at 9:02 pm

I'm also fascinated to see cultural changes throughout the 2010s despite it being a bit more consistent overall and being a decade that lacks monoculture (although then again monoculture died in the 1990s).

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/17 at 11:03 pm

We're never giving up, sorry.  :-X

Written By: Slim95 on 03/30/17 at 11:50 pm

The culture of the 2010s can be pinpointed all the way back to 2008. The popularity of the flat colourful design on logos, graphics, and UIs is something that is very prominent this decade and this started back in 2009 and pretty much became commonplace since 2012. Here in my country, NDP winning winning the government in 2015 where I live in a very conservative part of the country otherwise known as the Texas of Canada, was probably the biggest highlight of this decade for a left winger politics lover like me. Marijuana legalization in a couple states in the U.S. was also a big game changer.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/31/17 at 1:37 pm

The culture of the 2010s can be pinpointed all the way back to 2008. The popularity of the flat colourful design on logos, graphics, and UIs is something that is very prominent this decade and this started back in 2009 and pretty much became commonplace since 2012.

Actually, I don't think the 2010s aesthetic fully established itself until around 2013 or 2014. All throughout the early 2010s, the beveled, metallic look that defined the 2000s was pretty much still standard.

These are apparently from 2012:

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/parallels-desktop-8-for-mac_windows-apps-and-mac-apps-in-launchpad.png

https://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20120329iphone5scam.jpg

As I recall it, too, most websites didn't convert their layout from computer-oriented to social media/iPhone/tablet-oriented until roughly only a few years ago.

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/17 at 4:44 pm

The culture of the 2010s can be pinpointed all the way back to 2008. The popularity of the flat colourful design on logos, graphics, and UIs is something that is very prominent this decade and this started back in 2009 and pretty much became commonplace since 2012. Here in my country, NDP winning winning the government in 2015 where I live in a very conservative part of the country otherwise known as the Texas of Canada, was probably the biggest highlight of this decade for a left winger politics lover like me. Marijuana legalization in a couple states in the U.S. was also a big game changer.

That was amazing. Spring 2015 was amazing, then the summer happened.  :-X

A pejorative for social progressives, particularly feminist, anti-racist (especially BLM) or pro-LGBT (especially transgender) groups. You don't know about it because it's a meme from American conservative talk-shows and far-right websites that are considered disreputable outside the US.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/31/17 at 5:01 pm

Do you live in the province of Alberta?

Written By: 2001 on 03/31/17 at 5:14 pm

Yeah he does. He had oil under his house and now he's a millionaire and richer than Trump.  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/17 at 9:52 pm

Yeah I do.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/31/17 at 9:52 pm

Yeah he does. He had oil under his house and now he's a millionaire and richer than Trump.  :o

;D

Written By: mqg96 on 03/31/17 at 10:37 pm

Actually, I don't think the 2010s aesthetic fully established itself until around 2013 or 2014. All throughout the early 2010s, the beveled, metallic look that defined the 2000s was pretty much still standard.

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/parallels-desktop-8-for-mac_windows-apps-and-mac-apps-in-launchpad.png

Anybody else agree that web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari have become the norm for most internet users this decade instead of Internet Explorer?

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/31/17 at 10:44 pm

Anybody else agree that web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari have become the norm for most internet users this decade instead of Internet Explorer?

Well duh. Internet Explorer is a junk heap.

Microsoft tried to lure people back onto Explorer in 2012 with that 90s nostalgia commercial but it didn't work.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/01/17 at 12:27 am

https://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20120329iphone5scam.jpg

As I recall it, too, most websites didn't convert their layout from computer-oriented to social media/iPhone/tablet-oriented until roughly only a few years ago.

I saw a lot of flat designs in 2012. But yeah they still add the flat designs to older logos even today. For example the new Subway logo was just updated this year.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/17 at 5:14 am

I have Firefox and it's been working pretty well so far.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/17 at 8:53 am

Yeah. Internet Explorer always sucked ass for most people. I've been using either Google Chrome and Firefox for the past 7 years.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/17 at 4:34 pm

Yeah. Internet Explorer always sucked ass for most people. I've been using either Google Chrome and Firefox for the past 7 years.

I've been using Firefox for the past few years.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/17 at 9:53 pm

This!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTktN9FsJcp9RrTVOP03lnYNyHTohKCmJObhGRhMTOBJKlABDcicQ

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/17 at 10:55 pm

This!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTktN9FsJcp9RrTVOP03lnYNyHTohKCmJObhGRhMTOBJKlABDcicQ

This was the beginning of the end for the fun half of the 2010s. (2010-2014) :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 04/01/17 at 11:02 pm

This was the beginning of the end for the fun half of the 2010s. (2010-2014) :\'(

Pop culturally, I prefer the second half.

But yeah, there were some fun times pre-2015.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/01/17 at 11:37 pm

The entire decade is godly, what are you guys talking about?

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/17 at 11:49 pm

Pop culturally, I prefer the second half.

But yeah, there were some fun times pre-2015.

You like the man bun?!

Written By: Looney Toon on 04/02/17 at 12:08 pm

You like the man bun?!

The man bun of all things is one of the worst fashion trends I've ever seen.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/02/17 at 12:10 pm

The man bun of all things is one of the worst fashion trends I've ever seen.

100% the truth.

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/08/17 at 7:50 pm

Musically speaking..

1) Lady Gaga and Ke$ha in late 2009.
2) Calvin Harris and David Guetta in late 2011.
3) Lorde and DJ Mustard in late 2013.
4) The Chainsmokers and DJ Snake in late 2015.

For those of you that actually pay close attention to chart trends, you can tell that I've really simplified the timeline.

Written By: Emman on 04/08/17 at 8:24 pm

Musically speaking..

For those of you that actually pay close attention to chart trends, you can tell that I've really simplified the timeline.

What about Drake with his ambient dancehall trap style he introduced last year and the tropical style of house music?

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/08/17 at 9:32 pm

What about Drake with his ambient dancehall trap style he introduced last year and the tropical style of house music?

As I stated above, I simplified the timeline dramatically. Any more details and I would have felt compelled to make a long essay instead of a bite-sized post.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/08/17 at 10:25 pm

Musically speaking..

So judging by this pattern, the following game-changing trend is set to commence late this year or so? The pattern you speak of changes every 2 years or so, and we're almost due for a new artist/performer or two to take the old guard's place. So who will it be? Will he/she/they carry on the electronic/indie/trap rap tradition, will we see a revival of a once-popular trend or will we see something new and original entirely? Maybe all of the above... would be interesting to see how that plays out.

Check for new replies or respond here...