inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Great/Global Recession

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/03/17 at 12:46 pm

As we all know, economists say the economy disaster ended in 2009; however, I think the effects of it still lingered on even to today where it caused folks to make sacrifices. Because of this, it took many opportunities away from them thus preventing from having children, marriage, owning a home etc.

I honestly believe we're still in a recovery mode, or maybe we might not recover from it at all. OTT, the recession truly f*cked us over, and it seems that we all haven't been the same since that event almost a decade ago.

How do you all feel about this? Had this not happened, would we all be well better off?

Subject: Re: The Great/Global Recession

Written By: the2001 on 04/03/17 at 1:02 pm

As we all know, economists say the economy disaster ended in 2009; however, I think the effects of it still lingered on even to today where it caused folks to make sacrifices. Because of this, it took many opportunities away from them thus preventing from having children, marriage, owning a home etc.

I honestly believe we're still in a recovery mode, or maybe we might not recover from it at all. OTT, the recession truly f*cked us over, and it seems that we all haven't been the same since that event almost a decade ago.

How do you all feel about this? Had this not happened, would we all be well better off?

we have been out since 2014

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/17 at 1:03 pm

As a New Yorker who never felt any differences in the 2008 recession, that may differ from somebody's experience. My dad worked as a secretary for a lawyer, while my mom was my elementary school's parent coordinator in 2008. They never get laid off from the recession, as they still worked. My family didn't even had any economic differences from the recession, as we still lived in the same house with no problem. I was only 8/9 years old when the recession happened, so I could never tell if my family did differ from it.

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/03/17 at 1:13 pm

We had a "delayed" recession....Cincinnati had a recession from around mid 2006 - essentially 2013.... we barely had any economic growth.

My family had a job thorugh the recession but ironically in 2013 my parents both lost their jobs... we had to foreclose on our house in 2011 even when my parents still had a job.

Housing bubble really affected our area.... started bursting here in 2006.

Foreclosure was insanely difficult on our family and on me... it marked the end of my childhood.

IF we had a recovery at 3-4% ANNUAL GDP GROWTH we might have recovered by now... but the anemic stupidly low and outrageous subpar 2-1% growth we have been having WITH 10 trillion dollars of new debt hasnt done sheesh to help those recover.

Cincinnati is lucky compared to other cities.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/17 at 1:42 pm

we have been out since 2014

The recession only started in 2014. The only times the economy was decent was 2011-2014. At this moment, we are worse off economically than we were in 2009. Oil prices have not been back up to where they were before.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/03/17 at 1:42 pm

The recession only started in 2014. The only times the economy was decent was 2011-2013. At this moment, we are worse off economically than we were in 2009.

Was Canada's economy that way since then?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/17 at 1:43 pm

Was Canada's economy that way since then?

Yeah here the economy sucks now, especially in Alberta.

Written By: the2001 on 04/03/17 at 6:19 pm

The recession only started in 2014. The only times the economy was decent was 2011-2014. At this moment, we are worse off economically than we were in 2009. Oil prices have not been back up to where they were before.

Explain to me how the stocks went up and unemployment has been the lowest since 2004

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/17 at 7:29 pm

Explain to me how the stocks went up and unemployment has been the lowest since 2004

No, this recession right now is worse than 2009. It's been an absolute disaster econonically for the last 2 years. This is a fact, not opinion.

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/17 at 8:32 pm

In Ontario we only just seemingly recovered from it. I remember in the 2014 election the recession and general economic malaise was still a huge deal. They were definitely the absolute top issues in both the federal and provincial 2011 elections.

In September 2008, the unemployment rate was 6.0%. It peaked at 9.5% in May 2009, and more or less hovered around 8-9% from 2010-2012. At the end of 2014 it was 7.0%. Today (February 2017) it is 6.2%, so I can see we have more or less recovered.

GDP growth was at 2.8% in 2016 which is great for a developed economy. Hopefully with the low Canadian dollar we can hit 3%+ this year. Also, Trump has been a boon for the tech and education industries here.  :-X :-X :-X :-X We've given it a name: the Trump Bump! If the housing bubble pops though it might dip us back into quasi-recession feel.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/03/17 at 8:42 pm

In Ontario we only just seemingly recovered from it. I remember in the 2014 election the recession and general economic malaise was still a huge deal. They were definitely the absolute top issues in both the federal and provincial 2011 elections.

In September 2008, the unemployment rate was 6.0%. It peaked at 9.5% in May 2009, and more or less hovered around 8-9% from 2010-2012. At the end of 2014 it was 7.0%. Today (February 2017) it is 6.2%, so I can see we have more or less recovered.

GDP growth was at 2.8% in 2016 which is great for a developed economy. Hopefully with the low Canadian dollar we can hit 3%+ this year. Also, Trump has been a boon for the tech and education industries here.  :-X :-X :-X :-X We've given it a name: the Trump Bump! If the housing bubble pops though it might dip us back into quasi-recession feel.

But all of Canada was in a technical recession in summer 2015. That what was the federal election platforms were also about. Even now the loonie hasn't fully recovered yet. But I'm sure Ontario is doing way better now economically than Alberta. Everyone's really depressed here and the crime rate went up in both Edmonton and Calgary due to the economic environment. A couple weeks ago there was a youth job fair and the lineup literally took over 2 hours, that's just sad.

Written By: 2001 on 04/03/17 at 10:14 pm

But all of Canada was in a technical recession in summer 2015. That what was the federal election platforms were also about. Even now the loonie hasn't fully recovered yet. But I'm sure Ontario is doing way better now economically than Alberta. Everyone's really depressed here and the crime rate went up in both Edmonton and Calgary due to the economic environment. A couple weeks ago there was a youth job fair and the lineup literally took over 2 hours, that's just sad.

That's terrible.  :-\\ Yeah, there were a lot of good paying oil jobs up there that got dried up. At first people thought it was temporary, but it looks like it's here to stay at least in the medium-term.

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/04/17 at 7:10 am

Yeah Canada had been in a Recession in 2015.... still in stagnation ATM... hit oil producing provinces hard...

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/17 at 11:28 am

Yeah Canada had been in a Recession in 2015.... still in stagnation ATM... hit oil producing provinces hard...

It really depends on what industry you're in and the province. Technically there was a recession in 2015, but this glosses over what's going on under the hood.

The price of oil crashed, and this resulted in layoffs in the oil industry, which often offers jobs with great 6 figure salaries. This was enough to sink the economy as a whole. But the crash in oil prices resulted in less demand for Canadian dollars, which devalued the currency. The cheap Canadian dollar was a boon for export-driven industries, such as manufacturing, agriculture, natural resources (other than oil) tourism, real estate, education, movies, aerospace, tech etc. and made them a lot more price-competitive abroad. These industries just so happen to be largely located in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec, which, despite the national recession, actually saw their economies grow a lot in 2015.

It sounds extremely perverse, but low oil prices is catastrophic for some parts of the country (namely Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland) but amazing news for the other parts. It's like how the Greek debt crisis was good for the German economy.  :-X  :-X But really, a low Canadian dollar helps many Alberta industries too, including agriculture, food processing, tourism, real estate, and even oil (since Canadian oil will be cheaper to sell abroad).

Written By: the2001 on 04/04/17 at 2:40 pm

No, this recession right now is worse than 2009. It's been an absolute disaster econonically for the last 2 years. This is a fact, not opinion.

In the North east unemployment has been the lowest since mid 2000s

Written By: Slim95 on 04/04/17 at 2:42 pm

In the North east unemployment has been the lowest since mid 2000s

Yeah it's relative to where you live of course. I'm just talking about where I live. We've been hit harder than the 2009 recession. I am hoping it will improve now that Trump is approving the Keystone XL pipeline and oil prices are slowly creeping up.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/17 at 3:00 pm

I was lucky to enjoy the late 1995 to early 2000 era, when the economy was booming. Things felt like Teflon, invincible!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/17 at 6:23 am

Weird. I'm not sure we ever fully recovered from even the 2000 stock market crash.

Written By: TheKid99 on 04/06/17 at 7:20 am

Weird. I'm not sure we ever fully recovered from even the 2000 stock market crash.

I think that marked a gigantic turning point.

Productivity rose exponentially in the 90s which helped the US Economy boom.

Now in terms of annual gdp growth, we werent able to touch the 12% number in 1984 and the 8% in 1985....

We had sustained growth.... healthy.... everybody from 1996-2000 had their incomes rise.

1996-2000 we grew at above 3.8%, including an astounding 4.9% in 1999.

Without 9/11 the US Economy would have not entered a recession in 2001.

2000 stock market crash set in place a series of events that kind of lead to the downfall of the US Economy.

Early 1995 the US almost entered a Recession, but things took a turn for the better as the Fed stopped raising interest rates right in 2/1995 which produced a soft landing in the economy which then set it up to grow.

2000 marked the point when US Productivity started going down in annual growth and when the Labor Participation Rate peaked. Wages inflation adjusted peaked in 2000 as well.

The Middle Class had a prosperous period from mid 1993-2006.

Check for new replies or respond here...