inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why hasn't there been an equivalent to the disco demolition this decade?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/05/17 at 1:12 am

This music is FAR worse than any disco but nobody seems to make a scene so this music stops.

Subject: Re: Why hasn't there been an equivalent to the disco demolition this decade?

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/05/17 at 1:54 am

I honestly think bad and good music is really subjective. You and I (or anyone), if we were to listen to each other's favorite music, I'm sure we wouldn't like all of what we hear, it could be that we dislike most of it or like most or have it mixed.

I like some disco (lol) and I like some music from today.

Subject: Re: Why hasn't there been an equivalent to the disco demolition this decade?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/05/17 at 2:41 am

This music is FAR worse than any disco but nobody seems to make a scene so this music stops.

What would they blow up though? No one buys records or CDs anymore.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 2:52 am

Get #endtrapmusic trending. ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 3:53 am

I honestly think bad and good music is really subjective. You and I (or anyone), if we were to listen to each other's favorite music, I'm sure we wouldn't like all of what we hear, it could be that we dislike most of it or like most or have it mixed.

I like some disco (lol) and I like some music from today.

I agree.

Nevertheless, I'm jonesing for a change of pace. The Top 100 is pretty lethargic right now. It really clashes with the era we're living in.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/17 at 5:27 am

What would they blow up though? No one buys records or CDs anymore.

I can't think of anything at the top of my head. ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/05/17 at 5:35 am

Rap Demolition Night.  8)

Bring a pair of baggy pants and a double-styrofoam-cup to New Comiskey Park (a.k.a. Guaranteed Rate Field, a.k.a. US Cellular Park) and in between games of the doubleheader, we'll pile them all up in center field and set them on fire. Rap sux!

Written By: Howard on 04/05/17 at 5:52 am

Rap Demolition Night.  8)

Bring a pair of baggy pants and a double-styrofoam-cup to New Comiskey Park (a.k.a. Guaranteed Rate Field, a.k.a. US Cellular Park) and in between games of the doubleheader, we'll pile them all up in center field and set them on fire. Rap sux!

Good idea LB.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 8:14 am

Because people have Spotify.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/05/17 at 2:24 pm

Honestly, the more I see people compare today's music to disco, the more I wish Disco Demolition didn't actually happened. I don't like the 70s, but at least disco is enjoyable enough for me. I could take it more than just today's music in general, since it was at least original. If we wanted trap music to end, then what will replace it? Nobody isn't gonna give a sh*t about making a new genre nowadays, since everything now is rehashed.

Because people have Spotify.

Not everyone uses it though.  :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/05/17 at 2:27 pm

Honestly, the more I see people compare today's music to disco, the more I wish Disco Demolition didn't actually happened. I don't like the 70s, but at least disco is enjoyable enough for me. I could take it more than just today's music in general, since it was at least original. If we wanted trap music to end, then what will replace it? Nobody isn't gonna give a sh*t about making a new genre nowadays, since everything now is rehashed.

I don't think disco is bad music. My point is today's music is so much worse yet nobody does anything about it and nobody reacts to it. If trap ended, something would replace it eventually. The key is ending all the bad music so people are forced to make something different or lose their companies.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 04/05/17 at 2:31 pm

Why did they think disco sucked? It gave us a Japanese band trying to make it big in the US (Pink Lady)

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 3:35 pm

The people who do though aren't complaining. ;D

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/05/17 at 4:00 pm

Exactly! :)

I use Spotify all the time, it's great!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/05/17 at 4:39 pm

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/jsbti.gif

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 4:52 pm

lol. I'm using Spotify as we speak. I can't go one week without finding something interesting. However, I wish some of those lesser-knowns got more exposure instead of being relegated to the "amazing unknown Spotify artist that only I and 40 other people listen to" column.

I don't hate trap music. Trap music can be good. Trap is used to great effect on Beyonce's Drunk in Love. But that was in 2013/14 before trap completely took over.

As for a Rap Demolition Night. No thanks. Rap may not be in my top 3 favorite genres, but I actually like Kendrick Lamar quite a bit and it looks like he's about to take Drake's place as rap/hip-hop king.

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 5:07 pm

lol. I'm using Spotify as we speak. I can't go one week without finding something interesting. However, I wish some of those lesser-knowns got more exposure instead of being relegated to the "amazing unknown Spotify artist that only I and 40 other people listen to" column.

I don't hate trap music. Trap music can be good. Trap is used to great effect on Beyonce's Drunk in Love. But that was in 2013/14 before trap completely took over.

As for a Rap Demolition Night. No thanks. Rap may not be in my top 3 favorite genres, but I actually like Kendrick Lamar quite a bit and it looks like he's about to take Drake's place as rap/hip-hop king.

Yeah, that's true. That's why it's important all your friends have Spotify too, so you can throw playlists at their faces. "Yo listen to my mix tape, bro" ;D

Also, I agree Kendrick Lamar is better than Drake, but I also believe in The Divine Rights of Kings, and that Drake is The Chosen One. He's not going anywhere!  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 5:17 pm

I don't think disco is bad music. My point is today's music is so much worse yet nobody does anything about it and nobody reacts to it. If trap ended, something would replace it eventually. The key is ending all the bad music so people are forced to make something different or lose their companies.

Like Slowpoke keeps saying...there IS a lot of good music being made today. You just have to look for it instead of expecting it to come to you.

People back then thought disco sucked because...

1. Disco was associated with a particular image. To fit in with the disco scene you had to have certain expensive clothing, gaudy, gold jewelry. be less into drugs like marijuana and acid and more into drugs like cocaine and crystal. You basically had to be part of the popular people club.
2. There were a lot of people who thought that "real" or "good" music was classic rock. With the exception of classic rock's progenitor's and maybe some of its descendants, everything else wasn't "real music". A lot of people back then who hated disco weren't the most open minded bunch.

3. The bad disco faded from memory and the good disco has stood the test of time. People in the 70s had to deal with the bad disco.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 5:23 pm

Yeah, that's true. That's why it's important all your friends have Spotify too, so you can throw playlists at their faces. "Yo listen to my mix tape, bro" ;D

Also, I agree Kendrick Lamar is better than Drake, but I also believe in The Divine Rights of Kings, and that Drake is The Chosen One. He's not going anywhere!  :-X

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Drake, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

8)

Written By: Howard on 04/05/17 at 5:26 pm

I use it almost all the time.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/05/17 at 5:27 pm

In other words, I should have to look for new songs forever just because people are complacent since they can go on spotify?

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 5:33 pm

In other words, I should have to look for new songs forever just because people are complacent since they can go on spotify?

More like...we should look for new songs forever because the world doesn't owe us anything.  ;D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/05/17 at 5:35 pm

More like...we should look for new songs forever because the world doesn't owe us anything.  ;D

People with that mentality never get what they want. If people have that mentality they should bend over and prepare for the world to trample on them. You don't get your wants and needs by feeling you deserve nothing.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 5:46 pm

People with that mentality never get what they want. If people have that mentality they should bend over and prepare for the world to trample on them. You don't get your wants and needs by feeling you deserve nothing.

Well, the fact that I have much of what I want blows a hole in that philosophy. There's a difference between getting some of what you want and getting everything you want.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 5:54 pm

btw, Spotify gives people the opportunity to share new music. Not everyone likes what I like so maybe I can share enough different kinds of music until I can get a trend rolling around my circle.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/05/17 at 6:56 pm

btw, Spotify gives people the opportunity to share new music. Not everyone likes what I like so maybe I can share enough different kinds of music until I can get a trend rolling around my circle.

What music do you listen to?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/05/17 at 7:11 pm

Why did they think disco sucked?

I would not even know where to start. Back then guys who were into Disco wore these effeminate silk shirts with wide collars, and stuffed cucumbers down their white pants. These guys were the ultimate douchebags before the term "douchebag" even came into vogue as a perforation term.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/05/17 at 7:51 pm

I agree with Frank Underwood: "You are entitled to nothing".  :-X :-X You have to work for what you get... and that means... downloading Spotify and pressing the play button.  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/05/17 at 9:37 pm

I tend to go through phases that change every 3 or 4 years. Here's a snapshot of where I am right now:

Broken Social Scene
Thundercat
Vinyl Williams
Neon Indian
Louis Cole / Knower
Ariel Pink
Lone
Flying Lotus
The Internet
Kendrick Lamar
Espirit / George Clanton
Dirty Projectors
Quelle Chris
Vulpeck
Mac DeMarco
Good Morning

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/06/17 at 12:32 am

I agree with Frank Underwood: "You are entitled to nothing".  :-X :-X You have to work for what you get... and that means... downloading Spotify and pressing the play button.  :-X

That mentality never changes anything though. It's a way to cope. It isn't a way to change things and make things better for you.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/06/17 at 1:21 am

I tend to go through phases that change every 3 or 4 years. Here's a snapshot of where I am right now:

Broken Social Scene
Thundercat
Vinyl Williams
Neon Indian
Louis Cole / Knower
Ariel Pink
Lone
Flying Lotus
The Internet
Kendrick Lamar
Espirit / George Clanton
Dirty Projectors
Quelle Chris
Vulpeck
Mac DeMarco
Good Morning

Hmm, only ones I know are Thundercat, The Internet, and Kendrick Kamar, but you have good taste based on those alone. I'll check out some of the ones you mentioned later though, thanks for sharing! :)

Written By: Howard on 04/06/17 at 5:21 am

funk, disco, 60's, 70's and 80's.

Written By: 2001 on 04/06/17 at 7:49 am

That mentality never changes anything though. It's a way to cope. It isn't a way to change things and make things better for you.

I have no idea what you're saying lol. Instead of sampling albums at the record store to see whether you like it or not, Spotify puts all the world's music at your fingertips, and has discovery features that will help you find music you'll like. It's improved technology. :P

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/06/17 at 5:14 pm

Hmm, only ones I know are Thundercat, The Internet, and Kendrick Kamar, but you have good taste based on those alone. I'll check out some of the ones you mentioned later though, thanks for sharing! :)

No problem.  8)

the closest artist that comes close to those three is Flying Lotus. Flying Lotus and Thundercat are besties and frequently collaborate. I think Flying Lotus produces most of Thundercat's work. I recommend listening to albums Los Angeles and Cosmogramma. I feel like those albums changed the way my brain works. The rest of the artists on the list are either indie rock, retro revival or experimental EDM.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/06/17 at 5:50 pm

Because we Millenials are lazy!  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/07/17 at 12:23 am

I have no idea what you're saying lol. Instead of sampling albums at the record store to see whether you like it or not, Spotify puts all the world's music at your fingertips, and has discovery features that will help you find music you'll like. It's improved technology. :P

That's nice but it doesn't solve the larger problem of a lagging culture in general.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/07/17 at 12:28 am

That's nice but it doesn't solve the larger problem of a lagging culture in general.

Then what's your solution?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/07/17 at 12:49 am

Those hipsters! They belong on mars!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/07/17 at 1:28 am

Then what's your solution?

Protesting, burning down CDs, something that gets mass media attention so the companies get the message to change. Taking money elsewhere has been happening for a long time but they're still not getting the message. Spotify and other sites are increasing but they aren't getting the point. Going to Spotify won't get mass media attention.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/07/17 at 1:35 am

Protesting, burning down CDs, something that gets mass media attention so the companies get the message to change. Taking money elsewhere has been happening for a long time but they're still not getting the message. Spotify and other sites are increasing but they aren't getting the point. Going to Spotify won't get mass media attention.

Protest who exactly?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/07/17 at 1:46 am

Protest who exactly?

The radio industry like clear channel, and the record labels. If it doesn't get media attention it doesn't go anywhere. They're just blaming the lack of sales on streaming and aren't seeing how bad the music really is. The free market isn't working because they're so daft and oblivious.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/07/17 at 2:04 am

The radio industry like clear channel, and the record labels. If it doesn't get media attention it doesn't go anywhere. They're just blaming the lack of sales on streaming and aren't seeing how bad the music really is. The free market isn't working because they're so daft and oblivious.

But which artists and which kinds of music exactly? It doesn't make sense to just say "that kind of music." A protest against disco was very specific.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/07/17 at 3:29 am

But which artists and which kinds of music exactly? It doesn't make sense to just say "that kind of music." A protest against disco was very specific.

It can be against the decline of music quality over the years. But if we wanted something specific it could be an anti trap protest.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/07/17 at 2:18 pm

To be fair, Disco Demolition Night occurred in the summer of 1979, only 5 months from the end of the decade. So it's probably to early to expect that sort of backlash to the popular music of the 2010s. We might have to wait until sometime in 2019.

Written By: 2001 on 04/07/17 at 2:42 pm

Well, I'm just telling you why there hasn't been a trap demolition night. There are less violent methods to solve your problem.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 04/07/17 at 2:47 pm

To be fair, Disco Demolition Night occurred in the summer of 1979, only 5 months from the end of the decade. So it's probably to early to expect that sort of backlash to the popular music of the 2010s. We might have to wait until sometime in 2019.

But who will run this Demolition Night? ???

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/07/17 at 7:46 pm

But who will run this Demolition Night? ???

I mean it may not be a "Demolition Night", but just a general backlash against the zeitgeist of the 2010s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/07/17 at 11:57 pm

It can be against the decline of music quality over the years. But if we wanted something specific it could be an anti trap protest.

I'm not a fan of most trap but jeez...just let it die away naturally like other genres like this do. You can't force this kind of thing. Disco was a far more concrete cultural fad.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/08/17 at 12:00 am

I mean it may not be a "Demolition Night", but just a general backlash against the zeitgeist of the 2010s.

If what you're getting at is an anti-liberal, anti-rap movement, you're gonna have to count me out.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/08/17 at 1:00 am

If what you're getting at is an anti-liberal, anti-rap movement, you're gonna have to count me out.

Depends on what you consider "liberal". I always considered myself at least left-leaning. But I cannot stand the current SJW movement that's going on. I'm definitely anti-trap, but I think rap can potentially be good. I've never been the biggest rap listener, but I do enjoy old school rap from the 80s and early-mid 90s. But modern day trap-rap music is just so nauseating and repetitive to me, that I just can't stand it.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/08/17 at 1:05 am

I'm not a fan of most trap but jeez...just let it die away naturally like other genres like this do. You can't force this kind of thing. Disco was a far more concrete cultural fad.

I agree that there's no need for some type of "demolition night" to get rid of trap music. Trap has a sound that is very tied to the 2010s, so it will eventually die out. Not sure exactly when though  :-\\.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/08/17 at 1:21 am

I agree that there's no need for some type of "demolition night" to get rid of trap music. Trap has a sound that is very tied to the 2010s, so it will eventually die out. Not sure exactly when though  :-\\.

I think trap will phase out over the next few years and be all but gone by 2019.  Trap is to the '10s what ringtone rap was to the '00s.  It died relatively quickly over the course of the final years of the decade.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/08/17 at 4:02 am

Look, forget about Clear Channel and the record labels. They're just trying to survive a constantly changing business model. It's not like the old days, where they scoured the country for talent and, when they found someone with potential, they nurtured them for years until they finally broke through. Those days are gone forever. All the music industry cares about at this point is just trying to find an artist who can provide them the maximum profit for the minimum effort. And (fudge me if you disagree, I don't care) rap provides the most bang for the buck. It's easy to produce, it requires pretty much no actual musical chops, so the record companies really only have to pay one, maybe two people as opposed to a band of at least 4 musicians.

I mean, I get it. I think I understand your frustration. Your generation hasn't had your Beatles, or your Elvis, or your Michael Jackson.

We're in an unprecedented, transitional period right now. Thanks to the Internet, it's really hard for someone today to become a professional musician and make a decent living at it. The only way bands and musicians can make it is by performing live. The positive of this is that there has never been a better time to see live bands. It's definitely a buyer's market right now.

The other consequence of YouTube/Spotify/Pandora/etc. is that we now have so much instant access to millions of bands and musicians that it makes it really hard for any one of them to really stand out and gain traction. 

But, you see, I hate to be the one to say this but your generation needs to grow a set of balls. I see absolutely zero semblance of rebellion in the Millennial generation. See, back in the 1970's and 80s, and 90's, the people who were different and weird didn't just all sit around and mope and say, "Gee, won't someone please come along and make some music that I like?" Jesus Christ.  Haven't you ever heard of punk rock???

I'd better have at least five fudges when I wake up tomorrow, otherwise you guys really are a bunch of wussies.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/08/17 at 4:46 am

Look, forget about Clear Channel and the record labels. They're just trying to survive a constantly changing business model. It's not like the old days, where they scoured the country for talent and, when they found someone with potential, they nurtured them for years until they finally broke through. Those days are gone forever. All the music industry cares about at this point is just trying to find an artist who can provide them the maximum profit for the minimum effort. And (fudge me if you disagree, I don't care) rap provides the most bang for the buck. It's easy to produce, it requires pretty much no actual musical chops, so the record companies really only have to pay one, maybe two people as opposed to a band of at least 4 musicians.

I mean, I get it. I think I understand your frustration. Your generation hasn't had your Beatles, or your Elvis, or your Michael Jackson.

We're in an unprecedented, transitional period right now. Thanks to the Internet, it's really hard for someone today to become a professional musician and make a decent living at it. The only way bands and musicians can make it is by performing live. The positive of this is that there has never been a better time to see live bands. It's definitely a buyer's market right now.

The other consequence of YouTube/Spotify/Pandora/etc. is that we now have so much instant access to millions of bands and musicians that it makes it really hard for any one of them to really stand out and gain traction. 

But, you see, I hate to be the one to say this but your generation needs to grow a set of balls. I see absolutely zero semblance of rebellion in the Millennial generation. See, back in the 1970's and 80s, and 90's, the people who were different and weird didn't just all sit around and mope and say, "Gee, won't someone please come along and make some music that I like?" Jesus Christ.  Haven't you ever heard of punk rock???

I'd better have at least five fudges when I wake up tomorrow, otherwise you guys really are a bunch of wussies.  ;D

That is actually untrue. Observe:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1epDhbpVokk/VkzwrNktnbI/AAAAAAAAQlE/E5rMezWLNUc/s1600/fred_durst_2000_01_01.jpg

Millennial's very own Michael Jackson, Elvis and Beatles.

Written By: Howard on 04/08/17 at 5:05 am

What zeitgeist?  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/08/17 at 11:37 am

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1epDhbpVokk/VkzwrNktnbI/AAAAAAAAQlE/E5rMezWLNUc/s1600/fred_durst_2000_01_01.jpg

No, no, no. Fred Durst was born in 1970, so he belongs to Generation X.

On the other hand, if you really want to claim him then you can have him.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 4:55 pm

Millennials have Katy Perry!

Why are you begging for fudges?  :-X :-X I can't!!

Written By: Howard on 04/08/17 at 5:03 pm

Millennials have Katy Perry!

and Lady Gaga.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/17 at 5:04 pm

and Taylor Swift  :D

Written By: Howard on 04/08/17 at 5:49 pm

and Taylor Swift  :D

and Kim Kardashian.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/08/17 at 9:22 pm

Why are you begging for fudges?  :-X :-X I can't!!

BECAUSE ME HUNGRY, AND WHEN ME GET HUNGRY, ME GET MAD!!!  :o :o :o

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/08/17 at 10:39 pm

I just can't get onboard this whole anti-hipster train. It is too unfocused, I don't really know what it is and I could be lumped in it because too many people associate hipsterism with being liberal and being interested in things that aren't well known, mainstream...or just plain basic (olive garden, fast food, canned food, Top 100). Plus the anti-hipster crowd offer nothing in its place.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/08/17 at 11:41 pm

I think I just realized the problem. I think you guys are referring to mainstream hipsterism. The mainstream has artists like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, and The Civil Wars instead of indie hipster artists like Grizzly Bear, Broken Social Scene, Atlas Sound and Animal Collective. The mainstream has retro artists like Bruno Mars and The Weeknd while indie hipster has Neon Indian, Ariel Pink, and Skylar Spence. The mainstream has pop rock groups like Imagine Dragons and Chainsmokers while indie hipsters have St. Vincent, Tune-Yards, and The XX.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/17 at 12:28 am

Isn't that guy a famous comedian??  :-X  :P  :P

Written By: 2001 on 04/09/17 at 9:56 am

I think I just realized the problem. I think you guys are referring to mainstream hipsterism. The mainstream has artists like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, and The Civil Wars instead of indie hipster artists like Grizzly Bear, Broken Social Scene, Atlas Sound and Animal Collective. The mainstream has retro artists like Bruno Mars and The Weeknd while indie hipster has Neon Indian, Ariel Pink, and Skylar Spence. The mainstream has pop rock groups like Imagine Dragons and Chainsmokers while indie hipsters have St. Vincent, Tune-Yards, and The XX.

Yes, those are hipster bands! And they're all awesome.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 04/09/17 at 2:13 pm

Isn't that guy a famous comedian??  :-X  :P  :P

That's Fred Durst.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 8:26 pm

And this is their Whitney Houston.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/5e/e4/e05ee4d318c85c0c9841eceb608e8605.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/13/17 at 1:34 am

And this is their Whitney Houston.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/5e/e4/e05ee4d318c85c0c9841eceb608e8605.jpg

I thought you liked Amy Lee? ???

Written By: 2001 on 04/13/17 at 8:22 am

I think he took your post literally.  :-X

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/17 at 8:42 am

Well, I do. I didn't know we were supposed to make fun of Millennials.  :-\\

Written By: exodus08 on 04/13/17 at 11:35 am

I feel like the disco demolition was an excuse to hate Black people music. They weren't only destroying disco records but Motown as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/13/17 at 12:28 pm

I feel like the disco demolition was an excuse to hate Black people music. They weren't only destroying disco records but Motown as well.

I don't think it was to destroy African-American music entirely. You had musicians who were African American that didn't involve disco after the 70s. Especially pop and hip hop.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/17 at 1:15 pm

But disco and funk are basically the same genre.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/13/17 at 1:50 pm

But disco and funk are basically the same genre.

Marvin gaye isn't disco.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/13/17 at 8:29 pm

I think we should be careful about this narrative. Read Steve Dahl's article on the event for a opposing opinion.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/disco-demolition-night-was-not-racist-not-anti-gay-3dfde114464

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/14/17 at 1:46 am

I think we should be careful about this narrative. Read Steve Dahl's article on the event for a opposing opinion.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/disco-demolition-night-was-not-racist-not-anti-gay-3dfde114464

Disco Demolition night was more just a tongue-in-cheek publicity stunt than it was any kind of movement.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 5:28 am

Marvin gaye isn't disco.

He's more like Motown Classic R&B, funk and soul.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/14/17 at 10:30 am

Because of the Liberal agenda.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/06/17 at 1:34 pm

I think there will be an equivalent to disco coming sooner than you think. Trap is almost in everything that it has been overexposed for the past few years. I say by the end of the year (if not, then 2018) everyone will get tired of it, and replace it with a better genre.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:13 pm

I think there will be an equivalent to disco coming sooner than you think. Trap is almost in everything that it has been overexposed for the past few years. I say by the end of the year (if not, then 2018) everyone will get tired of it, and replace it with a better genre.

Who will start it? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/06/17 at 6:14 pm

Disco Demolition night was more just a tongue-in-cheek publicity stunt than it was any kind of movement.

And yet it marked the end of the sordid Disco era.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/06/17 at 6:52 pm

Who will start it? ???
Underground artists.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/10/17 at 9:28 pm

Excuse me as I continue to force psychedelic rock on inthe00s.com  ;D

I will make the 2020s become a psychedelic decade or I'll die trying.

HFXOidyxQQc

As much as I hate to admit that some of you are right, things won't change until there's a great push back against EDM and trap. :(

Written By: exodus08 on 05/11/17 at 9:34 am

HFXOidyxQQc

As much as I hate to admit that some of you are right, I don't things won't change until there's a great push back against EDM and trap. :(

I want a Techno revival in the 2020s  :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/17 at 2:23 pm

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fd/fd1163428f3a930756d1babb67db5adf557daaf02f53f2a067aec3546bf182a9.jpg

8)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/11/17 at 5:30 pm

HFXOidyxQQc

As much as I hate to admit that some of you are right, things won't change until there's a great push back against EDM and trap. :(

We need trippy music now

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/17 at 11:52 pm

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fd/fd1163428f3a930756d1babb67db5adf557daaf02f53f2a067aec3546bf182a9.jpg

8)

8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/17 at 12:25 am

8)

I like the song you posted BTW.

Have you listened to much Tame Impala?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/17 at 12:45 am

Yes, it not disco anymore, it is all rave dance music, such that you cannot dance (stylistically) anymore.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/12/17 at 1:08 am

I like the song you posted BTW.

Have you listened to much Tame Impala?

Awesome. Vinyl Williams is one of my new favorite artists. His band really knows how to strike a mood.

And I've been listening to Tame impala since Innerspeaker. I got into psychedelic music when Mars Volta came out with Frances the Mute.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/12/17 at 1:22 am

Here are some of my other favorite songs from him/them.

20cfaJ_NKAE 1ykDNxDl7Zs

V35XNBedkhM zDn6MOUvbVA

And here's just general weird a e s t h e t i c psychedelic awesomeness

QAhdld8TKL8

Written By: tv on 05/13/17 at 8:37 pm

sand Kim Kardashian.
She is not a musical act.

Written By: tv on 05/13/17 at 8:43 pm

There were Black Artists that had hits after Disco like Lionel Richie, Peabo Bryson, Patti Labelle, and James Ingram. Diana Ross and the late Donna Summer were still pretty popular for a year or two after the Disco Backlash happened.

As far as destroying Motown records Motown was hip in the 60's and so I don't think it was a 70's pop culture trend.

Written By: tv on 05/13/17 at 8:49 pm

Her peak was late 2008-early 2011.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/17 at 1:45 pm

She is not a musical act.

I never said she was a musical act. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...