inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone heard of VidMe?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/10/17 at 12:10 am

A lot of YouTubers are moving some of their content to this platform due to the recent issues and frustration with YouTube's new monetization policies. I must say I really like it! It kind of reminds me of old YouTube in a way when it was starting out with more fun and parody videos. It also seems like the most realistic contender to YouTube yet. None of the other sites like Vimeo and DailyMotion looked comparable or pleasing and nice to use. This has a great user interface and looks really good!

https://vid.me/

Subject: Re: Anyone heard of VidMe?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:15 am

It seems brand new. I have a feeling it could be the next Youtube within a few months or years. 

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 12:17 am

I just created my account a few minutes ago:

https://vid.me/SouthCoastTV

I might as well create an account early, before it becomes the next "big" thing. :P

Written By: Slim95 on 04/10/17 at 12:19 am

I might as well create an account early, before it becomes the next "big" thing. :P

That's a good idea. I'll create an account too. I have a feeling that even if it doesn't fully replace YouTube, it will be a very popular alternative and get really big soon.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 12:22 am

That's a good idea. I'll create an account too. I have a feeling that even if it doesn't fully replace YouTube, it will be a very popular alternative and get really big soon.
Already did the same thing just in case.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/10/17 at 2:33 am

The first video I see is ComputingForever. *S I G H*

This place has a great chance of turning into one big anti-SJW circle j^$K platform. You are against SJW activism. Fine. At least make videos that aren't full of fallacies, bullying, and (IMO the worst aspect of anti-sjw's) rehashed material from other videos.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 4:25 am

Taking this opportunity to shill my YouTube channel, in case anyone wants to give me a pity subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGGRX8gOLmylq6DZJOdVk7A

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 4:33 am

Taking this opportunity to shill my YouTube channel, in case anyone wants to give me a pity subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGGRX8gOLmylq6DZJOdVk7A

Interesting username! I noticed that you are subscribed to NewYorkRaven's and mqg96's YouTube channels as well. ;)

Here is mine, just in case anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgvqbfjNJXChHHxpj4jbMnQ

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 4:36 am

Interesting username!

I just mashed buttons on the keyboard lol.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/10/17 at 4:39 am

I just mashed buttons on the keyboard lol.

Ah, that explains it. :P

Written By: aja675 on 04/10/17 at 8:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcr4ZT77LWyjX8X1VrJlr0g

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 1:58 pm

It's.... the same thing as YouTube? Although the tips thing is cool I guess. I wonder how long this will last on just tips though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/10/17 at 2:36 pm

I already made a Vidme account a few months ago.

https://vid.me/NewYorkEagle

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 5:39 pm

I just created an account.

https://vid.me/MissteriousOne

Add me 😛 It's the same username as my YouTube. So you can add me there too. I have no videos there though and I've had it for 9 years lol. But I'm interested to see how well this new site goes. I'll have to check it out more. Who knows? Maybe I'll start uploading there!

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/10/17 at 5:46 pm

Already did the same thing just in case.

Dog, what's the name of your YouTube account?

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 6:12 pm

^also Dog, What is your Vidme? And what about you Zelek?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/17 at 10:25 pm

Dog, what's the name of your YouTube account?
I don't actually have one since it's not really my account, but it's S Mikell.

^also Dog, What is your Vidme? And what about you Zelek?
CACalboys

Written By: Ripley on 04/10/17 at 11:13 pm

Cool I just followed you 😊

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/17 at 2:30 pm

Well VidMe is officially shutting down now and the last day the site will be available is December 15th. Kind of sad. I really wanted YouTube to have a competitor. It seems the only way to YouTube to have competition now is if another mega corporation such as Amazon (Twitch) steps in. RIP VidMe 2014 -
2017. Sadly the smaller guys never had a chance. :\'(

https://medium.com/vidme/goodbye-for-now-120b40becafa

Written By: Howard on 12/12/17 at 2:49 pm

Well VidMe is officially shutting down now and the last day the site will be available is December 15th. Kind of sad. I really wanted YouTube to have a competitor. It seems the only way to YouTube to have competition now is if another mega corporation such as Amazon (Twitch) steps in. RIP VidMe 2014 -
2017. Sadly the smaller guys never had a chance. :\'(

https://medium.com/vidme/goodbye-for-now-120b40becafa

Why is it shutting down? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/17 at 2:51 pm

Why is it shutting down? ???

They don't have anymore financing for it.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/12/17 at 4:09 pm

This place has a great chance of turning into one big anti-SJW circle j^$K platform

Oh, ew.

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/17 at 4:40 pm

People complain about YouTube the same way people complain about every Facebook redesign, lmao. YouTube still does what it does and it does it well ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/17 at 4:53 pm

People complain about YouTube the same way people complain about every Facebook redesign, lmao. YouTube still does what it does and it does it well ;D

Having competition is always a good thing. YouTube is nowhere near as good as it was in its glory days. Hopefully there will be another company to compete with it.

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/17 at 5:05 pm

Having competition is always a good thing. YouTube is nowhere near as good as it was in its glory days. Hopefully there will be another company to compete with it.

I think the difference between YouTube now and its glory days is a bit exaggerated, unless by "glory days" you mean 2006/2007 :P

IDK. I use YouTube the same way now as I did back then. Personally, I haven't noticed much difference, except that video sizes got way longer, and of course, live videos. What changes do you notice that are so detrimental?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/12/17 at 6:56 pm

I think the difference between YouTube now and its glory days is a bit exaggerated, unless by "glory days" you mean 2006/2007 :P

IDK. I use YouTube the same way now as I did back then. Personally, I haven't noticed much difference, except that video sizes got way longer, and of course, live videos. What changes do you notice that are so detrimental?

There absolutely is a difference. YouTube now is money hungry and doesn't care about content creators who aren't big corporations. They have horrible monteziation problems. The quality of trending videos is poor and there is some censorship problems too. A competitor is definitely what needs to happen and I would much rather try an alternative like a different site. YouTube is not the same now as it was in the 2000s. The glory days of YouTube was 2007 - 2009 and it is completely different now.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/17 at 7:17 am

You do realize it got to that point because of a huge copyright infringement suit against it several years ago that almost spelled the end for YouTube altogether? Its current content creation setup is a compromise between the creative license you desire and their desire not to get sued into oblivion again.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/17 at 12:05 pm

You do realize it got to that point because of a huge copyright infringement suit against it several years ago that almost spelled the end for YouTube altogether? Its current content creation setup is a compromise between the creative license you desire and their desire not to get sued into oblivion again.

As a consumer, why should I care about the reasons why? I'm not gonna feel sorry for them or see it as an excuse if that's what you're thinking. Mega corporations don't get my sympathy. Bottom line is that YouTube went downhill and the creators got affected, the reasoning doesn't matter in the end. A new competitor and choice is what we need. A brand new video sharing site that can compete with YouTube so consumers can choose which platform they want to go on. YouTube went downhill, and choice and competition is always good.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/17 at 12:23 pm

My point is that you should care because if YouTube changes its business model to how you want it, then YouTube shuts down and nobody gets to enjoy it, including you. Something like eating the corn seed, as it were. Chances are VidMe, if it is more lax in copyright enforcement as YouTube was back in '07, will also be hit with a suit or change its model.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/17 at 12:51 pm

My point is that you should care because if YouTube changes its business model to how you want it, then YouTube shuts down and nobody gets to enjoy it, including you. Something like eating the corn seed, as it were. Chances are VidMe, if it is more lax in copyright enforcement as YouTube was back in '07, will also be hit with a suit or change its model.

Didn't you see my updated post yesterday? VidMe is shutting down on December 15th. That's the reason I brought up this topic again to share this news. VidMe is officiallt shutting down. ;D

As for if YouTube closeing down due to their problems, that would be great. It's about time for a new company to come in and a competitor to come. I wouldn't care or feel bad fot YouTube at all. It went downhill, and new change and platforms needs to come.

Written By: 2001 on 12/13/17 at 1:28 pm

2007 YouTube is not coming back. Go to Baidu/YouKu lol.

I honestly don't think it's that bad. It's probably just rose coloured glasses for most people. In 2007 there weren't even HD videos and the video size limit was 10 minutes. Imagine if YouTube reverted to that today, is it an "improvement"? No it's just nostalgia talking.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/17 at 2:30 pm

Didn't you see my updated post yesterday? VidMe is shutting down on December 15th. That's the reason I brought up this topic again to share this news. VidMe is officiallt shutting down. ;D

As for if YouTube closeing down due to their problems, that would be great. It's about time for a new company to come in and a competitor to come. I wouldn't care or feel bad fot YouTube at all. It went downhill, and new change and platforms needs to come.

I think you're misunderstanding. If I understand you correctly, the reason you miss 2007 YouTube is because you could watch movies uploaded by users, YouTube animators, Let's Plays and the like, right?

Well that balance of content was only made possible by the relative laxness of the copyright policy of YouTube at the time. They got their nuts sued off. In order to prevent being shut down, they changed their monetization scheme and allowed corporations to control uploads of their content on YouTube.

What you have to understand is that that will happen to any web streaming site that seeks to compete with YouTube. It is not unique in that regard. If you want full movies without masks on them and content creators who publish their own full-length animations again, go to Newgrounds. The law has simply decided that a video streaming site that resembles 2007 YouTube will be sued into oblivion. Any competition, as you so crave, will ultimately not last long.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/17 at 2:32 pm

But YouTube has over 2 billion hits now.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/17 at 2:34 pm

Then what happens to my over 400 videos I've had for 10 years? ???

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/17 at 3:31 pm

Then what happens to my over 400 videos I've had for 10 years? ???

Poof, probably. It's never happened to my knowledge, so I don't really know. Also I'm not a copyright lawyer, so my knowledge of IP laws/ownership rights is limited to what I learned in law school.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/17 at 3:36 pm

2007 YouTube is not coming back. Go to Baidu/YouKu lol.

I honestly don't think it's that bad. It's probably just rose coloured glasses for most people. In 2007 there weren't even HD videos and the video size limit was 10 minutes. Imagine if YouTube reverted to that today, is it an "improvement"? No it's just nostalgia talking.

I think you're misunderstanding. If I understand you correctly, the reason you miss 2007 YouTube is because you could watch movies uploaded by users, YouTube animators, Let's Plays and the like, right?

Well that balance of content was only made possible by the relative laxness of the copyright policy of YouTube at the time. They got their nuts sued off. In order to prevent being shut down, they changed their monetization scheme and allowed corporations to control uploads of their content on YouTube.

What you have to understand is that that will happen to any web streaming site that seeks to compete with YouTube. It is not unique in that regard. If you want full movies without masks on them and content creators who publish their own full-length animations again, go to Newgrounds. The law has simply decided that a video streaming site that resembles 2007 YouTube will be sued into oblivion. Any competition, as you so crave, will ultimately not last long.

No the internet should run on a consumer-friendly capitalist system, good competition is needed. I am not accepting of the new YouTube and I don't enjoy it. It is not nostalgia talking, there needs to be competition and an alternative. YouTube ain't working for most people anymore, it's not just me. Look at all the content creators who are frustrated and they have made several videos on the issue. I want something brand new to come so I can have an alternative to YouTube because it's not the same anymore.

LooseBolt, I wrote yesterday that VidMe is shutting down as of December 15th. That's why I bumped this topic. I find it very unfortunate and I hope something else comes to compete with YouTube now. VidMe is gone so now I'm waiting for a new company to arrive.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/13/17 at 3:47 pm

No the internet should run on a consumer-friendly capitalist system, good competition is needed. I am not accepting of the new YouTube and I don't enjoy it. It is not nostalgia talking, there needs to be competition and an alternative. YouTube ain't working for most people anymore, it's not just me. Look at all the content creators who are frustrated and they have made several videos on the issue. I want something brand new to come so I can have an alternative to YouTube because it's not the same anymore.

LooseBolt, I wrote yesterday that VidMe is shutting down as of December 15th. That's why I bumped this topic. I find it very unfortunate and I hope something else comes to compete with YouTube now. VidMe is gone so now I'm waiting for a new company to arrive.

So in answer to my question, you do not understand what I've been saying to you. In summary, what you want has been deemed legally impermissible. If another video streaming site arises with the features that I think I understand appeal to you from YouTube '07, that site will in all likelihood be blown to smithereens by DMCA takedowns and infringement suits.

In other words, if you have a problem with it, you'll have to take it up with your Congressperson first.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/17 at 4:02 pm

So in answer to my question, you do not understand what I've been saying to you. In summary, what you want has been deemed legally impermissible. If another video streaming site arises with the features that I think I understand appeal to you from YouTube '07, that site will in all likelihood be blown to smithereens by DMCA takedowns and infringement suits.

In other words, if you have a problem with it, you'll have to take it up with your Congressperson first.

We don't have congressmen here. And I'm still hoping for another company to replace YouTube or at least be in direct competition with YouTube. At the moment, if Amazon (another huge company) switches their vision up a bit to make Twitch focused both for live streams, uploaded videos, and not primarily focused on gaming, I could see it being a good viable competitor. Even better, a brand new startup company without the annoying monetization issues should grow and compete with YouTube, even though it is very tough for the little guys unless they get swallowed up by big corporate giants. VidMe is dead now unfortunately and I saw lots of potential for VidMe but now it is shutting down.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/13/17 at 4:06 pm

We don't have congressmen here. And I'm still hoping for another company to replace YouTube or at least be in direct competition with YouTube. At the moment, if Amazon (another huge company) switches their vision up a bit to make Twitch focused both for live streams, uploaded videos, and not primarily focused on gaming, I could see it being a good viable competitor. Even better, a brand new startup company without the annoying monetization issues should grow and compete with YouTube, even though it is very tough for the little guys unless they get swallowed up by big corporate giants. VidMe is dead now unfortunately and I saw lots of potential for VidMe but now it is shutting down.
Have you heard of Wenoo and Vidlii? Those two could be potential competitors against YouTube.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/13/17 at 11:40 pm

Have you heard of Wenoo and Vidlii? Those two could be potential competitors against YouTube.

Yeah I tried Vidlii and liked it a lot. Haven't been back in a while. It's basically like a 2006 YouTube clone, I really liked that site for nostalgia purposes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/17 at 12:25 pm

The home page, promises your can make money, can you?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/14/17 at 1:51 pm

The home page, promises your can make money, can you?

Doesn't matter because it's shutting down tomorrow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/17 at 1:59 pm

Doesn't matter because it's shutting down tomorrow.
That puts my business venture to ruin!

Written By: Howard on 12/14/17 at 2:37 pm

Poof, probably. It's never happened to my knowledge, so I don't really know. Also I'm not a copyright lawyer, so my knowledge of IP laws/ownership rights is limited to what I learned in law school.

I just hope they're not deleted, I've worked hard trying to capture a whole load of videos over the years.

Check for new replies or respond here...