inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Examples of late 90s fashion revival?

Written By: aspireone on 04/10/17 at 10:20 am

Has it started yet?

Subject: Re: Examples of late 90s fashion revival?

Written By: the2001 on 04/10/17 at 11:16 am

Has it started yet?

early 2000s has started, but you could lump that in with late 90s-early 2000s

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5FkBRFVYAI5dva.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2eiquiWQAciwZX.jpg

http://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2016311/rs_300x300-160411091328-300-Kylie-Jenner-Instagram-Von-Dutch-Trucker-Hat.jm.4816.jpg?downsize=300:*&crop=300:300;left,top

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/17 at 2:01 pm

I have seen lots of young women (ages 16-25) in the past 2-3 years wear "mom jeans" aka the conventional jeans most people wore during the 1980s and 1990s. Also, those thin rimmed '70s or '70s inspired glasses is also commonly being worn by a lot of young females in the past 2-3 years. For guys, not much of a fashion change...the only thing I've seen is that among Black American men, flat tops/high tops are back in style.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/17 at 2:03 pm

I've seen a few women wear crop tops. Hard to call it an late '90s revival though since it has such a heavy 2010s spin on it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/11/17 at 10:11 pm

I feel like we're still in an 80s funk, guys. I know there's been a little 90s and 00s nostalgia here and there but I think with Gen X. truly behind the wheels, 80s nostalgia is the true Nostalgia Zeitgeist of the 2010s. If anyone disagrees, let me know if I should give examples.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/17 at 10:12 pm

I feel like we're still in an 80s funk, guys. I know there's been a little 90s and 00s nostalgia here and there but I think with Gen X. truly behind the wheels, 80s nostalgia is the true Nostalgia Zeitgeist of the 2010s. If anyone disagrees, let me know if I should give examples.

In terms of youth fashion, though? People follow the market!  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/11/17 at 10:23 pm

In terms of youth fashion, though? People follow the market!  :-X

True. I'm more familiar with movies and music than fashion. Plaid is definitely a HUUGE 2010s thing. Even more than the 90s if you ask me. I don't remember seeing even half of this much plaid back then.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/11/17 at 10:51 pm

True. I'm more familiar with movies and music than fashion. Plaid is definitely a HUUGE 2010s thing. Even more than the 90s if you ask me. I don't remember seeing even half of this much plaid back then.

Yeah, it's basically the youth of this decade's interpretation of what they think 90s fashion was. The whole plaid thing has gone a bit too far if you ask me. Heck, a lot of this "90s revival" fashion looks NOTHING like real 90s fashion. I had made a thread about it a while back:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54030.msg3455906#msg3455906

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 10:52 pm

What do you guys think about the revival of "mom jeans"?

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/11/17 at 10:54 pm

That's interesting. I've always associated 80s nostalgia with the 00s, to be honest. I haven't really noticed any 80s nostalgia when it comes to fashion, music, or T.V. shows. When it comes to movies there have been a few remakes of 80s movies, but there seems to be more focus on reviving 90s movies.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 10:58 pm

That's interesting. I've always associated 80s nostalgia with the 00s, to be honest. I haven't really noticed any 80s nostalgia when it comes to fashion, music, or T.V. shows. When it comes to movies there have been a few remakes of 80s movies, but there seems to be more focus on reviving 90s movies.

Yeah, I agree. '90s nostalgia is in full effect now. I see barely any '80s nostalgia.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/11/17 at 11:22 pm

There was conscious 80s nostalgia. I could be wrong, but when looking back, the 2000s seemed to have more 70s nostalgia at its core. Maybe not consciously but unconsciously or spiritually. Especially the The mid-late '00s. It flowed into early 2010. I'm mainly referring to EDM and the disco sounding songs and the edgier clothing fashion trends. The 80s nostalgia eventually became the dominate nostalgia zeitgeist in '13 or '14.

Sure, everyone talking about the 90s might fool you. I think Trump's election might be more evidence for my conclusion. I think a lot of people were dying for the days of Reagan...or at least the idea of those days and not so much Bush or *GASP* another Clinton.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 11:26 pm

There was conscious 80s nostalgia. I could be wrong, but when looking back, the 2000s seemed to have more 70s nostalgia at its core. Maybe not consciously but unconsciously or spiritually. Especially the The mid-late '00s. It flowed into early 2010. I'm mainly referring to EDM and the disco sounding songs and the edgier clothing fashion trends. The 80s nostalgia eventually became the dominate nostalgia zeitgeist in '13 or '14.

Sure, everyone talking about the 90s might fool you. I think Trump's election might be more evidence for my conclusion. I think a lot of people were dying for the days of Reagan...or at least the idea of those days and not so much Bush or *GASP* another Clinton.

There is some truth to that statement but however those who fantasize for the days of Saint Ronnie aren't really nostalgic for the '80s but for "a real American President who is proud of being an American".

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/11/17 at 11:40 pm

There is some truth to that statement but however those who fantasize for the days of Saint Ronnie aren't really nostalgic for the '80s but for "a real American President who is proud of being an American".

It's hard to explain but what I'm getting at is that they weren't consciously nostalgic for the 80s but they were nostalgic for the spirit of the 80s. Looking back the 80s, people seemed to be pretty nostalgic for the 50s instead of the 60s until around the late 80s.

Like how each decade doesn't fit neatly in the brackets, neither does nostalgia.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/11/17 at 11:43 pm

Especially with the PC wars going on right now. It's soo early 90s. I wouldn't be surprised if mirroring it, there was a sharp turn to adult contemporary, 90s-early 00s sound rap, and less conspicuous or plain clothing sometime soon.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 11:47 pm

It's hard to explain but what I'm getting at is that they weren't consciously nostalgic for the 80s but they were nostalgic for the spirit of the 80s. Looking back the 80s, people seemed to be pretty nostalgic for the 50s instead of the 60s until around the late 80s.

Like how each decade doesn't perfectly fit neatly in the brackets, neither does nostalgia.

Yeah, that "spirit of the 80s" is what they feel is "a President who talks about America first, America being the greatest and America committing to strength through peace".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/17 at 11:48 pm

Especially with the PC wars going on right now. It's soo early 90s. I wouldn't be surprised if mirroring it, there was a sharp turn to adult contemporary, 90s-early 00s sound rap, and less conspicuous or plain clothing sometime soon.

I hope rap goes back to sounding like how it did from 1990-95.

Check for new replies or respond here...