inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you sad Generation Y is over ?

Written By: the2001 on 04/12/17 at 1:18 pm

Generations don't die, I mean like catered to in pop culture, GEN Y lasted from 1997- Late 2013.
Things of that generation are of:

-Debut of The Spice girls
- shift in MTV from Generation X to Generation Y (TRL, CRIBS, Pimp my Ride, Super Sweet 16)
-WWF attitude era
-The Bill Clinton Scandal
-Teen Pop (NYSNC, Backstreet, Jessica Simpson
-9/11
-Myspace (social media 1.0)
-Snap Rap
- AOL AIM
- RAZR Phone era
-  80s nostalgia
- Juicy Couture
- SURF trend
- Birth of online gaming,  XBOX 360
- Early youtube

Is anyone here sad that era is now gone? It was a pretty long era. We are 100% in generation Z right now.

Subject: Re: Are you sad Generation Y is over ?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 1:52 pm

Even though I'm a Y/Z hybrid in some standards, I really miss when Y culture was still around.

Written By: the2001 on 04/12/17 at 1:55 pm

Even though I'm a Y/Z hybrid in some standards, I really miss when Y culture was still around.

It really was awesome and you had a sense that you wanted it to go on forever,  This last era we were in
Late 2008-2016, I couldn't wait for that era to end lol It seemed like we were stuck in it forever!

I will say despite Generation Y being over, I am stoked for the late 2010's , we are 100% in a new era.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 2:02 pm

It really was awesome and you had a sense that you wanted it to go on forever,  This last era we were in
Late 2008-2016, I couldn't wait for that era to end lol It seemed like we were stuck in it forever!

I will say despite Generation Y being over, I am stoked for the late 2010's , we are 100% in a new era.

I wouldn't think that Gen Y was around in 2012-2016. The last time people weren't obsessed with smartphones was around 2011.

Written By: the2001 on 04/12/17 at 2:07 pm

I wouldn't think that Gen Y was around in 2012-2016. The last time people weren't obsessed with smartphones was around 2011.

Well yeah, but late 2013. 2014, 2015, 2016, was like the slow transition from Gen Y to Gen Z, until
we entered  2017 the new era

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 2:10 pm

Naw. Gen Y is leaving the Consumer and Trendsetter Phase and entering into the Power phase. The world is about to find out what the world is like with such a generation entering into complete adulthood. Sure, Gen Y were pop culture consumers and trendsetters but Gen X and Boomers were the Gatekeepers. Gen X will remain the dominate Gatekeepers for another 10 yrs but Gen Y Gatekeeper influence will be felt long after now. Don't think because people become adults, the world stops paying attention to them. That's just immaturity on the youth's part.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/17 at 2:34 pm

Would that mean that Generation X is over? ???

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 2:44 pm

I'm a cusp but yes I miss them/us being a dominant force. I miss the way Millennials acted before like 2010, after that they/we JUMPED THE SHARK.

Emos > hipsters and Tumblrites

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 2:49 pm

Well yeah, but late 2013. 2014, 2015, 2016, was like the slow transition from Gen Y to Gen Z, until
we entered  2017 the new era

2015 and 2016 were painful, would never want to go back to those years.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/17 at 2:52 pm

Half of me isn't sad. My generation's culture was kind of trashy.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 2:53 pm

I'm a cusp but yes I miss them/us being a dominant force. I miss the way Millennials acted before like 2010, after that they/we JUMPED THE SHARK.

If only emos and goths were still around, at least in comparison with all the cringy hipsters and Tumblrite SJWs.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 2:56 pm

I think you guys will maintain some power in pop culture and politics but Gen X has always been the quiet middle kid who also had the luck of being shorter than both your siblings. Sorry, Gen X. I think your influence in power will be dwarfed by whatever is coming. Where the Boomers were in the 80s, the Millennials are fully entering now.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 2:57 pm

Err, even by the most conservative date ranges, the youngest of us are 22-24, and as young as 16/17 by other estimates. We're only getting started!  :-X

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 3:19 pm

The Gen X population is projected to outnumber Boomers by 2028. That'll be interesting.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:22 pm

The Gen X population is projected to outnumber Boomers by 2028. That'll be interesting.

Not that interesting. Baby Boomers were born from 1946-1964 so by 2028, most of them will be really old or dead...;D.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 3:23 pm

Not that interesting. Baby Boomers were born from 1945-1964 so by 2028, most of them will be really old or dead...;D.

*puts on nerd glasses* 1946-1964 you mean

1945 is not considered part of the baby boom because the birth rates were still paltry that year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 3:24 pm

Not that interesting. Baby Boomers were born from 1945-1964 so by 2028, most of them will be really old or dead...;D.

My mom would've been 65 in 2028 (she was born in 1963). Not sure about my dad though, since he doesn't take care of his body well.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:25 pm

*puts on nerd glasses* 1946-1964 you mean

1945 is not considered part of the baby boom because the birth rates were still paltry that year.

LOL, slight mistake.

My mom would've been 65 in 2028 (she was born in 1963). Not sure about my dad though, since he doesn't take care of his body well.

My mom will also be 65 in 2028 (she was also born 1963).

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 3:32 pm

Yeah, but people age 65 and up are the most reliable voters and actually attend townhalls and write their representatives. They might not be influencing pop culture by creating and consuming it but they are electing the politicians who determine how restricted the internet should be. They're determining what qualifies as PG-13 and R. They're choosing which president is most likely to send you off to war.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, but people age 65 and up are the most reliable voters and actually attend townhalls and write their representatives. They might not be influencing pop culture by creating and consuming it but they are electing the politicians who determine how restricted the internet is. They're determining what qualifies as PG-13 and R. They're choosing which president is most likely to send you off to war.

So, Gen X will be choosing that primarily? Honestly, I don't really care because my one vote won't matter. Young people in general vote in much lower rates (that's pretty much always been the case).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 3:42 pm

Yeah in some way, but that is the signal that the torch is being passed on to the Zeds. We definitely had some great pop culture though.

I do want to say that pop culture has actually been in full force for Gen Z for a few years now. The actual transition took place 4/5 years ago.

Naw. Gen Y is leaving the Consumer and Trendsetter Phase and entering into the Power phase. The world is about to find out what the world is like with such a generation entering into complete adulthood. Sure, Gen Y were pop culture consumers and trendsetters but Gen X and Boomers were the Gatekeepers. Gen X will remain the dominate Gatekeepers for another 10 yrs but Gen Y Gatekeeper influence will be felt long after now. Don't think because people become adults, the world stops paying attention to them. That's just immaturity on the youth's part.
Haven't we already been in power for sometime now? I mean the oldest are in their 30s which is the range people begin holding control.

I think you guys will maintain some power in pop culture and politics but Gen X has always been the quiet middle kid who also had the luck of being shorter than both your siblings. Sorry, Gen X. I think your influence in power will be dwarfed by whatever is coming. Where the Boomers were in the 80s, the Millennials are fully entering now.
Well Gen X has actually held power for the about the past 20 years. Some of them were already in their 30s before 2000.

Not that interesting. Baby Boomers were born from 1946-1964 so by 2028, most of them will be really old or dead...;D.
Yeah, I have seen that as well. By that year, Boomers will be between 64-82 while Gen X will be between about 48-63. I'm also thinking this could be the year where a Millennial is president since the oldest will be near 50 by then!

Err, even by the most conservative date ranges, the youngest of us are 22-24, and as young as 16/17 by other estimates. We're only getting started!  :-X
I don't think it will be that way despite my opinion on ending at 2000. The safest I can say the youngest is the former.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 3:54 pm

Yeah, I have seen that as well. By that year, Boomers will be between 64-82 while Gen X will be between about 48-63. I'm also thinking this could be the year where a Millennial is president since the oldest will be near 50 by then!
I don't think it will be that way despite my opinion on ending at 2000. The safest I can say the youngest is the former.

I personally think Millennials should end at 2000...but what do I know.

The first year I think we will have a Millennial President is either 2028 or 2032.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 3:58 pm

I personally think Millennials should end at 2000...but what do I know.

The first year I think we will have a Millennial President is either 2028 or 2032.
Well I don't blame you. I'm in the same position, but after all the research from many different journals, I doubt that will still be the case. 1994/95 leads #1 with 2000 at #2.

If it doesn't happen in 2028, then 2032 will likely be the year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:02 pm

Well I don't blame you. I'm in the same position, but after all the research from many different journals, I doubt that will still be the case. 1994/95 leads #1 with 2000 at #2.

If it doesn't happen in 2028, then 2032 will likely be the year.

I know...I have definitely seen the 1994/1995 pop up more than the 2000 one. However, then you have the whole other bunch of endings from 1996-1999 and even 2004.

I will be 29 in 2028 and 33 in 2032...whoa :o. So, those Presidential elections I'll be consider a non-young adult :-\\.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/17 at 4:06 pm

Our pop culture (Generation Y) is over, but our reign in what people call 'the real world' is just getting started, especially those that are 35 and older.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:17 pm

I know...I have definitely seen the 1994/1995 pop up more than the 2000 one. However, then you have the whole other bunch of endings from 1996-1999 and even 2004.

I will be 29 in 2028 and 33 in 2032...whoa :o. So, those Presidential elections I'll be consider a non-young adult :-\\.
Well all those other cutoffs are in the minority with 2004 being last place! (only S&H used that cutoff and some sources got it from them)

Well actually, you'll be considered a non-young adult much earlier than that. That term is another synonym for teenager. One of my HS teachers called me and my class all the time. Moreover, I don't think people see themselves as young-adults by the time they hit college. Even my current teachers don't call me or anyone in my classes that term at all.

However, you will still be handsome regardless of your age. :)

Our pop culture (Generation Y) is over, but our reign in what people call 'the real world' is just getting started, especially those that are 35 and older.
Don't people truly begin entering 'the real world' as soon they as graduate college or go straight to work?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:20 pm

Well all those other cutoffs are in the minority with 2004 being last place! (only S&H used that cutoff and some sources got it from them)

Well actually, you'll be considered a non-young adult much earlier than that. That term is another synonym for teenager. One of my HS teachers called me and my class all the time. Moreover, I don't think people see themselves as young-adults by the time they hit college. Even my current teachers don't call me or anyone in my classes that term at all.

However, you will still be handsome regardless of your age. :)

In terms of voting, a young adult is a person aged 18-25. Only in the 2020 (I'll be age 21) and 2024 election (I'll be age 25) will I be considered a young adult  :\'(.

However, yes....I will remain handsome 8).

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 4:26 pm

Generation X culture for the youth and young adult crowd has been over for nearly 20 years now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:26 pm

In terms of voting, a young adult is a person aged 18-25. Only in the 2020 (I'll be age 21) and 2024 election (I'll be age 25) will I be considered a young adult :\'(.

However, yes....I will remain handsome 8).
Ohh. Now I see. Yeah, I have seen young adult being used in that context probably because they are the least likely to vote.

:)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:29 pm

Ohh. Now I see. Yeah, I have seen young adult being used in that context probably because they are the least likely to vote.

:)

And you know what that means? As soon as you turn 26, you'll be put in a retirement home (hopefully, Shady Pines ;D ;D ;D)

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 4:29 pm

Right now we're in early Generation Z culture, but definitely not the peak yet. Late Y culture and Early Z culture are related in some ways though like being the guinea pigs of popular social media sites. It doesn't make any sense for Generation Y culture to start around 1997-1999 and we'd still be in it here in 2017, hell, we weren't in it anymore by 2015 & 2016 either.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:31 pm

Is there a way to go back to Gen X culture? :(

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 4:32 pm

Yeah in some way, but that is the signal that the torch is being passed on to the Zeds. We definitely had some great pop culture though.

I do want to say that pop culture has actually been in full force for Gen Z for a few years now. The actual transition took place 4/5 years ago.
Haven't we already been in power for sometime now? I mean the oldest are in their 30s which is the range people begin holding control.
Well Gen X has actually held power for the about the past 20 years. Some of them were already in their 30s before 2000.

"Haven't we already been in power for some time now?"

The transition will be complete when the youngest millennials turn 32...then the millennials will be in power. I think Gen Z pop culture isn't in full effect. I think pop culture truly belongs to the younger millennials right now, although Z are up and comers. To be honest, I feel like millennials born after 90-92 need a sub-generation name like how younger boomers are called Generation Jones.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:34 pm

The transition will be complete when the youngest millennials turn 32...then the millennials will be in power. I think Gen Z pop culture isn't in full effect. I think pop culture truly belongs to the younger millennials right now, although Z are up and comers. To be honest, I feel like millennials born after 90-92 need a sub-generation name like how younger boomers are called Generation Jones.

It should Generation Catalanos, GenZennials, etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:41 pm

Where do you see the span of younger Millennials? So far, the biggest cutoff is 1994/95.

So that won't be for at least 8/9 years which by the youngest ones will be between 32-35. As for the sub-generation, I have seen GenZennials, but it's too plain and needs a better name.

And you know what that means? As soon as you turn 26, you'll be put in a retirement home (hopefully, Shady Pines ;D ;D ;D)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is there a way to go back to Gen X culture? :(
Yeah, you can find it on Youtube, Hulu, Netflix. All the shows and songs. :)

Right now we're in early Generation Z culture, but definitely not the peak yet. Late Y culture and Early Z culture are related in some ways though like being the guinea pigs of popular social media sites. It doesn't make any sense for Generation Y culture to start around 1997-1999 and we'd still be in it here in 2017, hell, we weren't in it anymore by 2015 & 2016 either.
Yeah, it's pretty much still early Z culture and will be that way until 2019 at the latest. Then by that year, it will be the core. As for Gen Y, 1997 was definitely the beginning for the Millennial pop culture. Then it kicked into high gear by 2000/01.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:44 pm

Yeah, you can find it on Youtube, Hulu, Netflix. All the shows and songs. :)

I know. I mean for society and the world as a whole to go back to Gen X culture (with some Gen Y sprinkled in their). Is there a way? :(

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 4:44 pm

Call me crazy, but I find a lot of mainstream Generation Z culture (like music, movies and TV shows) for the young adult crowd to be a lot better than some of the mainstream Generation Y culture from the core 2000's that sucked. I'm glad I wasn't a teen or young adult throughout the core 2000's. I understand there were some underrated stuff out there that were enjoyable. Gaming was better in the 2000's unlike today. I think it was better off to be in the core 2000's then. I'd rather be a young adult in the 2010's than the core 2000's with a BIG EXCEPTION of the political/worldly stuff going on. I guess it's even then.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:48 pm

Call me crazy, but I find a lot of mainstream Generation Z culture (like music, movies and TV shows) for the young adult crowd to be a lot better than some of the mainstream Generation Y culture from the core 2000's that sucked. I'm glad I wasn't a teen or young adult throughout the core 2000's. I understand there were some underrated stuff out there that were enjoyable. Gaming was better in the 2000's unlike today. I think it was better off to be in the core 2000's then. I'd rather be a young adult in the 2010's than the core 2000's with a BIG EXCEPTION of the political/worldly stuff going on. I guess it's even then.

To be honest, I agree with you on this statement: "Generation Y culture from the core 2000's that sucked. I'm glad I wasn't a teen or young adult throughout the core 2000's"....:-X :-X :-X :-X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:52 pm

I don't think you're crazy as I understand. Movies/TV have been great despite the most having that dark and gritty feeling in them. The music while mostly influenced by Trap, has been in good quality especially from certain artists. I just hope variety does comeback though because that's something that has been missing this entire decade. I definitely agree with you on gaming though.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 4:53 pm

To be honest, I agree with you on this statement: "Generation Y culture from the core 2000's that sucked. I'm glad I wasn't a teen or young adult throughout the core 2000's"....:-X :-X :-X :-X.

Hey I'm a core 2000s teen >:(
I'm still trying to figure out this decades teens.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 4:57 pm

Generations don't die, I mean like catered to in pop culture, GEN Y lasted from 1997- Late 2013.
Things of that generation are of:

-Debut of The Spice girls
- shift in MTV from Generation X to Generation Y (TRL, CRIBS, Pimp my Ride, Super Sweet 16)
-WWF attitude era
-The Bill Clinton Scandal
-Teen Pop (NYSNC, Backstreet, Jessica Simpson
-9/11
-Myspace (social media 1.0)
-Snap Rap
- AOL AIM
- RAZR Phone era
-  80s nostalgia
- Juicy Couture
- SURF trend
- Birth of online gaming,  XBOX 360
- Early youtube

Is anyone here sad that era is now gone? It was a pretty long era. We are 100% in generation Z right now.

While these things are gone, I wouldn't say Generation Y culture is over yet.  Gen Y is the largest generation in American history and will continue to influence pop culture for a while.  I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a new wave of "adult contemporary" targeted to Millennials the way the AC most of us remember was targeted towards baby boomers in the 80s and 90s, long after their prime pop culture era was over.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 4:57 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much still early Z culture and will be that way until 2019 at the latest. Then by that year, it will be the core. As for Gen Y, 1997 was definitely the beginning for the Millennial pop culture. Then it kicked into high gear by 2000/01.

I think core Z mainstream culture will began in the 2020's. This entire 2010's decade has been core Z culture for kids, which I have to admit has actually been good. The Disney Revival for core Z kids has been just as good as the Disney Renaissance for core Y kids.

Early Z cultural shows (arguably late Y too) include Empire, Orange is the New Black, Blackish, Agents of Shield, The Flash, The 100, iZombie, Girl Meets World, House of Cards, Gotham, Into the Badlands, and a few more I might have missed.

Similar to how shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dawson's Creek, or Sabrina the Teenage Witch were early Y shows (arguably late X) back then.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 4:59 pm

There is already a name I think (I do believe that it is called Generation Katniss). Its range is from the mid 90's to around 2001 or 2002.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 4:59 pm

I always felt more comfortable with 1980-2000 because this range fits the "turn of the century generation" age quite nicely but I get why people cut it off at 95. It just feels a little too short. Sorta like how 1900s-1920 was its own thing. People born in the 2000-2020 range still feel so new. Like they'll be the ones to shake up the 20s-30s as young people.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:02 pm

I always felt more comfortable with 1980-2000 because this range fits the "turn of the century generation" age quite nicely but I get why people cut it off at 95. It just feels a little too short. Sorta like how 1900s-1920 was its own thing. People born in the 2000-2020 range still feel so new. Like they'll be the ones to shake up the 20s-30s as young people.

The "rounded" cutoffs

GI Gen: 1900-1925
Silent: 1925-1945
Boomers: 1945-1965
X: 1965-1980
Millennial: 1980-2000
Zed: 2000-2020

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 5:02 pm

I usually go with 1983-2000.  1977-1982 are Gen X/Y cuspers.

We are going to have to wait until there is something new that really defines Gen Z to determine where the cutoff is, but as of now, I would say it is the late 90s up to 2000.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 5:03 pm

I don't think you're crazy as I understand. Movies/TV have been great despite the most having that dark and gritty feeling in them. The music while mostly influenced by Trap, has been in good quality especially from certain artists. I just hope variety does comeback though because that's something that has been missing this entire decade. I definitely agree with you on gaming though.

I'd take core 2010's music over core 2000's music. While trap rap in hip-hop has been bad lately, I'd take electropop, pop rock, and the trap genre of music as a whole in all kinds of songs any day over core 2000's hardcore/emo/punk music.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 5:04 pm

Or better yet, "turn of the millennial generation."

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:04 pm

I think core Z mainstream culture will began in the 2020's. This entire 2010's decade has been core Z culture for kids, which I have to admit has actually been good. The Disney Revival Era for core Z kids was just as good as the Disney Renaissance for core Y kids.

Early Z cultural shows (arguably late Y too) include Empire, Orange is the New Black, Blackish, Agents of Shield, The Flash, The 100, iZombie, Girl Meets World, House of Cards, Gotham, Into the Badlands, and a few more I might have missed.

Similar to how shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dawson's Creek, or Sabrina the Teenage Witch were early Y shows (arguably late X) back then.

I don't even know any of those shows, with the exception of The Flash.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 5:06 pm

Well the artists for them are Zayn, 4th Harmony, Ed Sheeran, T-Swift, and Chainsmokers.

The social media they use are Snapchat, Whisper, kik and musica.ly (I think)

I think core Z mainstream culture will began in the 2020's. This entire 2010's decade has been core Z culture for kids, which I have to admit has actually been good. The Disney Revival Era for core Z kids was just as good as the Disney Renaissance for core Y kids.

Yeah, I would give it 2/3 years for core Z culture to kick in.

and some 2010's decade has also been early Z culture for teens and college students as well.

We are going to have to wait until there is something new that really defines Gen Z to determine where the cutoff is, but as of now, I would say it is the late 90s up to 2000.
If you both want to know, I have seen the 1994/95 cutoff not just in the last few years, but it has been that way for about the past 20 years. Hell, there's even a book on Gen Y.

https://www.amazon.com/Millennials-Americans-Born-1977-1994/dp/1935114158

I'd take core 2010's music over core 2000's music. While trap rap in hip-hop has been bad lately, I'd take electropop, pop rock, and the trap genre of music as a whole in all kinds of songs any day over core 2000's hardcore/emo/punk music.
No worries. I don't blame you at all.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:07 pm

Hey I'm a core 2000s teen >:(

Stay jealous old man 8).

With the exception of the trap part, I agree.

The "rounded" cutoffs

GI Gen: 1900-1925
Silent: 1925-1945
Boomers: 1945-1965
X: 1965-1980
Millennial: 1980-2000
Zed: 2000-2020

I go with 1982-2000 as being Gen Y....:-X :-X :-X :-X.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 5:08 pm

I don't even know any of those shows, with the exception of The Flash.

The Flash has been one of the best shows on TV the last 3 years. It had the highest views for a CW premiere since Vampire Diaries back in 2009, and before then it may have been one of those late 90's shows when it was the WB. I didn't get into the Flash until last year. I caught up with it over last summer and now I've been watching new episodes weekly throughout this season, although I liked season 2 much better.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 5:08 pm

Yeah. 1983-2000 fits pretty well also. I'm willing to concede to 1999 being the birth of Gen Z but that number is frustrating. Best to just round it to 2000 since it's a cusp year anyway.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:11 pm

Yeah. 1983-2000 fits pretty well also. I'm willing to concede to 1999 being the birth of Gen Z but that number is frustrating. Best to just round it to 2000 since it's a cusp year anyway.

I'm a '99, and I've always considered myself more late Y, especially considering that my parents were born in 1953 and 1960, and I just don't see how I could be lumped with people who either aren't in school yet or just started school.

Plus if you go by the Chinese Zodiac, it can't really start there either.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 5:11 pm

With the exception of the trap part, I agree.

Do you hate all trap in music or just trap in rap songs? (which I fully understand)

I'm sure you're aware not all trap is the same with genres of music and artists.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:13 pm

The Flash has been one of the best shows on TV the last 3 years. It had the highest views for a CW premiere since Vampire Diaries back in 2009, and before then it may have been one of those late 90's shows when it was the WB. I didn't get into the Flash until last year. I caught up with it over last summer and now I've been watching new episodes weekly throughout this season, although I liked season 2 much better.

I have NEVER been into TV shows like The Flash....NEVER...:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X.

I'm a '99, and I've always considered myself more late Y, especially considering that my parents were born in 1953 and 1960, and I just don't see how I could be lumped with people with parents born in the 90's.

Same here except my parents were born in 1963.

Do you hate all trap in music or just trap in rap songs? (which I fully understand)

I'm sure you're aware not all trap is the same with genres of music and artists.

I dislike the genre in general. Only about 2-3 trap songs I find tolerable.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:18 pm

Stay jealous old man 8).

lol I'm not that old.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:22 pm

lol I'm not that old.

Anyone over age 24 is old to me 8).

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:23 pm

Anyone over age 24 is old to me 8).
By May 1st I'll be 27 :\'(.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:26 pm

Who let so many old people online? Your grand kids need to keep you off the Web, gramps ;D.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:27 pm

Feeling that quarter life crisis yet?  ;)

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:29 pm

Feeling that quarter life crisis yet?  ;)

I'm not 30 yet so no.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:31 pm

I'm not 30 yet so no.

Speaking of May 1st, your birthday (not the day you were born) is Spongebob Day.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 5:31 pm

I have NEVER been into TV shows like The Flash....NEVER...:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X.

You don't like comic book shows? You should give them a chance. I can advise you the best way to watch the shows in order.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:32 pm

Speaking of May 1st, your birthday (not the day you were born) is Spongebob Day.

SpongeBob day? never heard of it

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:34 pm

SpongeBob day? never heard of it

Spongebob premiered on May 1, 1999, and that's why May 1st is known as Spongebob Day (it is not really a known national holiday like Licorice Day or Donut Day is).

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:35 pm

Spongebob premiered on May 1, 1999, and that's why May 1st is known as Spongebob Day (it is not really a known national holiday like Licorice Day or Donut Day is).

lol that's funny 😂

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:36 pm

You don't like comic book shows? You should give them a chance. I can advise you the best way to watch the shows in order.

I like comic book cartoons but I have never liked comic book live action shows 8-P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:37 pm

Every July 13th from now on will be considered Reign Man Day 8).

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 5:42 pm

I like comic book cartoons but I have never liked comic book live action shows 8-P.

The comic book live action shows on CW, FOX, ABC, or Netflix are targeted towards millennials like us who grew up with the DC Animated Universe as kids from 1992-2006.

I could understand the other shows, but I guarantee you the DC Arrowverse on CW is definitely worth watching (I was mind blown with how good it was once I bingewatched the shows last year). Mark my words. Go on Netflix, start with the first 2 seasons of Arrow then go back and forth with Flash season 1 and Arrow season 3. Arrow is like the Batman of CW and the Flash is like the Superman of CW. For years we've gotten too many Batman and Superman stories whether it's animated or live-action, but CW will get you into legit Arrow and Flash villains.

I honestly think the DC Arrowverse on CW (since 2012) is the DC Animated Universe of today based on popularity. (which ironically started 20 years prior in 1992 with Batman: TAS)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:46 pm

The comic book live action shows on CW, FOX, ABC, or Netflix are targeted towards millennials like us who grew up with the DC Animated Universe as kids from 1992-2006.

I could understand the other shows, but I guarantee you the DC Arrowverse on CW is definitely worth watching (I was mind blown with how good it was once I bingewatched the shows last year). Mark my words. Go on Netflix, start with the first 2 seasons of Arrow then go back and forth with Flash season 1 and Arrow season 3. Arrow is like the Batman of CW and the Flash is like the Superman of CW. For years we've gotten too many Batman and Superman stories whether it's animated or live-action, but CW will get you into legit Arrow and Flash villains.

I honestly think the DC Arrowverse on CW (since 2012) is the DC Animated Universe of today based on popularity. (which ironically started 20 years prior in 1992 with Batman: TAS)

I loved the DCAU growing up and still do. The DCAU is BOSS LEVEL STATUS 8).
However....
the DC Arrowverse is just not for me. Ever since I was young and there was Smallville 8-P, I just have disliked live action superhero shows. I have watched a bit of Arrow and The Flash but I'm still not a fan.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:48 pm

I'm not 30 yet so no.

Quarter life is more like 20 haha.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:51 pm

Quarter life is more like 20 haha.

25 is a Quarter life but I don't feel old yet maybe by 30.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:53 pm

25 is a Quarter life but I don't feel old yet maybe by 30.

I started balding when I was 22, so I had my quarter life crisis then.  :-X

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:54 pm

Yikes!! Not sure what to tell you about that.  ??? Maybe it's genetic.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:58 pm

Yikes!! Not sure what to tell you about that.  ??? Maybe it's genetic.

Haha, yes, it's genetic. It's okay, I'm on Rogaine and still have my hair ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 5:59 pm

I loved the DCAU growing up and still do. The DCAU is BOSS LEVEL STATUS 8).
However....
the DC Arrowverse is just not for me. Ever since I was young and there was Smallville 8-P, I just have disliked live action superhero shows. I have watched a bit of Arrow and The Flash but I'm still not a fan.

One thing about me, live-action or animated, I have to watch the shows in order they are telling the story arc of the characters or villains. Back when I was a kid watching DCAU shows, I didn't care and I was excited to see any random episode. Same went for Teen Titans too. However, that has changed for me over the years and a lot of TV shows now you have to watch in order to get the enjoyment out of it. The DC Arrowverse is only worth watching in order starting with Arrow season 1, and it's aged better than Smallville IMO. If you just watch a random episode you'll stay confused. Maybe someday you'll change your mind but I'm perfectly find if you never get into it.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 6:00 pm

Haha, yes, it's genetic. It's okay, I'm on Rogaine and still have my hair ;D

That's good I guess.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:02 pm

One thing about me, live-action or animated, I have to watch the shows in order they are telling the story arc of the characters or villains. Back when I was a kid watching DCAU shows, I didn't care and I was excited to see any random episode. Same went for Teen Titans too. However, that has changed for me over the years and a lot of TV shows now you have to watch in order to get the enjoyment out of it. The DC Arrowverse is only worth watching in order starting with Arrow season 1, and it's aged better than Smallville IMO. If you just watch a random episode you'll stay confused. Maybe someday you'll changed your mind but I'm perfectly find if you're not.

The main gripe I have with live action superhero shows is the often boring, cheesy or corny acting and visuals. Also, often the costume design I don't like.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 6:03 pm

The main gripe I have with live action superhero shows is the often boring, cheesy or corny acting and visuals. Also, often the costume design I don't like.

That's makes perfect sense. I don't blame anybody for having those opinions. Arrow is probably the least cheesy out of the Arrowverse shows and it's so dark and gritty you wouldn't be thinking about that watching it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 6:03 pm

Not to mention that everything related with superhero shows goes for unnecessary fan service.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:06 pm

That's makes perfect sense. I don't blame anybody for having those opinions. Arrow is probably the least cheesy out of the Arrowverse shows and it's so dark and gritty you wouldn't be thinking about that watching it.

Fair enough.

Not to mention that everything related with superhero shows goes for unnecessary fan service.

Yes, that's another problem I have with those shows :-\\.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/17 at 6:06 pm

Unless Mark Zuckerburg gets elected President in 2020. ;)

I will be 29 in 2028 and 33 in 2032...whoa :o.

I'll be 41 in 2028 and 45 in 2032. :(

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 6:08 pm

Oh, and for me, once I got past the cheesiness I was able to get into the story arc and the characters (emotionally).

I think modern superhero TV shows and movies have done the visuals and effects much better than the past years, including making the stories more related to the comics than ever before, and they keep improving with it every year.

The 2000's, 90's, 80's, etc. the effects of superhero TV shows and movies were a lot worse. It's the same reason why I know this upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming movie is going to outdo the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies by a long shot.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:10 pm

Unless Mark Zuckerburg gets elected President in 2020. ;)

I'll be 41 in 2028 and 45 in 2032. :(

Zuckerburg will be Prez one day...;).

Also, you'll be 41 in 2028 and 45 in 2032...are you my Dad? :(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:12 pm

Oh, and for me, once I got past the cheesiness I was able to get into the story arc and the characters (emotionally).

I think modern superhero TV shows and movies have done the visuals and effects much better than the past years, including making the stories more related to the comics than ever before, and they keep improving with it every year.

The 2000's, 90's, 80's, etc. the effects of superhero TV shows and movies were a lot worse. It's the same reason why I know this upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming movie is going to outdo the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies by a long shot.

I disagree with your last sentence but Spider-Man: Homecoming does look like it's going be awesome.

BTW, there's a reason I don't really like superhero movies made before the year 2000....:-X :-X :-X.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 6:13 pm

Zuckerburg will be Prez one day...;).

Also, you'll be 41 in 2028 and 45 in 2032...are you my Dad? :(

2020 is coming......

I can't even think about how old the adults are going to be by the 2030's who I looked up to as 20 to 30 year old adults in the early to mid 2000's, whether it's my parents, aunts/uncles, or celebrities.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:15 pm

2020 is coming......

I can't even think about how old the adults are going to be by the 2030's who I looked up to as 20 to 30 year old adults in the early to mid 2000's, whether it's my parents, aunts/uncles, or celebrities.

Yeah, that will be weird as hell :o.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 6:22 pm

I disagree with your last sentence but Spider-Man: Homecoming does look like it's going be awesome.

My thoughts, people are blinded by nostalgia goggles if they think Tobey Macguire will still beat this upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming movie. Homecoming is obviously going to have better effects since it's 2017, and it's finally going to be a Spider-Man movie that lines up with the comics unlike previous movies and they're using the proper aged actor for a Spider-Man movie. Tom Holland is 20 years old and that's close enough to be the proper age playing a high school student like the real Spider-Man from the comics. The previous actors (Tobey Macguire and Andrew Garfield) were in their late 20's/early 30's playing a high school student lol. We can all agree the Amazing Spider-Man movies from 2012 & 2014 were the worst.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/12/17 at 6:23 pm

BTW, there's a reason I don't really like superhero movies made before the year 2000....:-X :-X :-X.

There's a reason I don't really like superhero TV shows made before Arrow in 2012.... hahaha just teasing you bruh.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:31 pm

My thoughts, people are blinded by nostalgia goggles if they think Tobey Macguire will still beat this upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming movie. Homecoming is obviously going to have better effects since it's 2017, and it's finally going to be a Spider-Man movie that lines up with the comics unlike previous movies and they're using the proper aged actor for a Spider-Man movie. Tom Holland is 20 years old and that's close enough to be the proper age playing a high school student like the real Spider-Man from the comics. The previous actors (Tobey Macguire and Andrew Garfield) were in their late 20's/early 30's playing a high school student lol. We can all agree the Amazing Spider-Man movies from 2012 & 2014 were the worst.

I'ved re-watched all the Toby Spidey films recently and still like them (not much to do with nostalgia).

Let's just agree that Spider-Man: Homecoming will be totally awesome. BTW, it's coming out 6 days before I turn 18 years old 8).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:33 pm

There's a reason I don't really like superhero TV shows made before Arrow in 2012.... hahaha just teasing you bruh.

The only live action superhero movies before 2000 that I like are Superman (1978), Batman (1989), Batman Returns (1992) & Blade (1998) 8).

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 10:52 pm

I just really want Gen Z to be more rebellious than Millennials. I think millennials killed in the indie department but really lagged in rebellion within pop culture in the 2000s. I just really hate our tendency to conformity. We've gotten a lot of crap over the years about being immature and narcasstic but overall, we're more conformist, communitarian and more eager to be adults than Gen X or the Boomers. I have a lot of hope that once my generation gets into full power, we'll push for a better world than the one the Boomers left. I think we could be a good big brother generation to Gen Z although I'm worried that we'll baby Z and the generation after that even worse than how Gen X baby their kids. For millennials, Gen X was more like that cool individualist older brother that did their own thing. How do Gen Y/Z cuspers and Gen Z see millennials?

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 11:53 pm

I just really want Gen Z to be more rebellious Millennials. I think millennials killed in the indie department but really lagged in rebellion within pop culture 2000. I just really hate our tendency to conformity. We've gotten a lot of crap over the years about being immature and narcasstic but overall, we're more conformist, communitarian and more eager to be adults than Gen X or the Boomers. I have a lot of hope that once my generation gets into full power, we'll push for a better world than the one the Boomers left. I think could be a good big brother generation to Gen Z although I'm worried that we'll baby Z and Gen after that even worse then how Gen X baby their kids. For millennials, Gen X was more like that cool individualist older brother that did their own thing. How do Gen Y/Z cuspers and Gen Z see millennials?

I'm not sure millennials are a conformist generation as a whole.  The culture of the Y2K era into the mid '00s was quite conformist.  However, once we got into the emo era things started loosening up a bit.  Things also were more individualistic prior to 1999.  I think the Columbine shootings made an impact in setting the stage for the cleaner, more conformist culture that defined the Y2K era.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 11:55 pm

I'm not sure millennials are a conformist generation as a whole.  The culture of the Y2K era into the mid '00s was quite conformist.  However, once we got into the emo era things started loosening up a bit.  Things also were more individualistic prior to 1999.  I think the Columbine shootings made an impact in setting the stage for the cleaner, more conformist culture that defined the Y2K era.

Remember V Tech massacre back in 2007.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 11:58 pm

I do but I was only around 8 years old.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/13/17 at 12:12 am

On one hand, we really like variety. Most of us hate "basic culture." A great many of us are open to trying new things. By the time the youngest millennial is 40, even small towns across the country will have a lot more variety and realness to their international cuisine. We'll probably be a lot more receptive to geek culture, perhaps to the chagrin of our kids.

On the other hand, we like being worker bees but not the boss. We usually want someone else to make the decisions to avoid too much responsibility and to keep our time relaxed.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/13/17 at 1:01 am

I completely agree. I didn't mind millennial culture from the 00s, as there was still something for everyone to enjoy. However I cannot stand 2010s millennial culture with it's dull, hipster/tumblr, nauseating vibe.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/13/17 at 1:04 am

To answer the main question. I will definitely not miss late Gen Y culture. Early Z culture (if this is truly the beginning of Gen Z culture) hasn't proven to be any different.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/13/17 at 1:36 am

To answer the main question. I will definitely not miss late Gen Y culture. Early Z culture (if this is truly the beginning of Gen Z culture) hasn't proven to be any different.

It's actually worse. Hip-hop/rap is way too dominant. If it's gonna stay like that, they could at least diversify their hip-hop tastes to include more innovative rap like

uOJFhKriSH8 OjFw_W_4QGs o-GwQzPuKvg

Written By: 80sfan on 04/13/17 at 1:47 am

I'm getting old!  ::)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/13/17 at 1:48 am

I just really want Gen Z to be more rebellious than Millennials. I think millennials killed in the indie department but really lagged in rebellion within pop culture in the 2000s. I just really hate our tendency to conformity. We've gotten a lot of crap over the years about being immature and narcasstic but overall, we're more conformist, communitarian and more eager to be adults than Gen X or the Boomers. I have a lot of hope that once my generation gets into full power, we'll push for a better world than the one the Boomers left. I think we could be a good big brother generation to Gen Z although I'm worried that we'll baby Z and the generation after that even worse than how Gen X baby their kids. For millennials, Gen X was more like that cool individualist older brother that did their own thing. How do Gen Y/Z cuspers and Gen Z see millennials?

I hate the fact people think my personality has to be conformist just because I'm Millennial. That the time of my birth has to dictate how I feel about things, what my personality is, and what my likes and dislikes are.

What I hate about my generation is the I deserve nothing mentality which is very slave-like and this tendency to make everything into no big deal. There are certain things you deserve. I also hate the culture that's against anyone different and derides them as special snowflakes. I want the world to be better now. I don't have time to wait for the next generation.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/13/17 at 2:30 am

I hate the fact people think my personality has to be conformist just because I'm Millennial. That the time of my birth has to dictate how I feel about things, what my personality is, and what my likes and dislikes are.

What I hate about my generation is the I deserve nothing mentality which is very slave-like and this tendency to make everything into no big deal. There are certain things you deserve. I also hate the culture that's against anyone different and derides them as special snowflakes. I want the world to be better now. I don't have time to wait for the next generation.

Well, no one likes to be generalized.

What exactly do you deserve? I got the impression you felt you deserve to have music that you like dominant in pop culture. I might not like a lot of music in the Top 100 but I don't deserve to have everyone like what I like.

I hate the culture against difference as well. I get really frustrated by many people who shun or put down supposedly millennial/hipster things like pho, electronic music, relaxed atmospheres, activism, intellectualism, folk-inspired rock, etc.

Honestly, you go ahead and fight that war. Just be prepared to maybe end up bitter like so many 30-60 somethings that can't get over the end of their pop culture period.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/13/17 at 2:35 am

Okay, pho can stay. I'm Vietnamese. That can stay, forever!  ;D  ;D  :D

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/13/17 at 7:29 am

Three days from today will be its 10th anniversary.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/17 at 7:30 am

What does that mean?

Written By: Howard on 04/13/17 at 7:32 am

Generation X culture for the youth and young adult crowd has been over for nearly 20 years now.

So people in their 40's and 50's would be considered Generation X? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/13/17 at 7:35 am

I started thinning in my late 20's.

Written By: 2001 on 04/13/17 at 8:13 am

Okay, pho can stay. I'm Vietnamese. That can stay, forever!  ;D  ;D  :D

Yes! We need pho on every street corner!

Also, I'm addicted to Thai food.  :-[

One thing I don't like though is bubble tea. Let's stop.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 9:38 am

What does that mean?

It means that the Baby Boomer population is declining (most likely due to old/older age) and Gen X people will take their place.

Yes. Gen X are people born from 1965-1980/1981...so people currently ages 35-52.

Yes! We need pho on every street corner!

Also, I'm addicted to Thai food.  :-[

One thing I don't like though is bubble tea. Let's stop.  :-X

I've never had any of those things but heard that they are soooo good :\'(.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/13/17 at 9:50 am

Yeah Generation X are those who are currently in their late 30's, 40's, or early 50's. Those in their mid or late 50's are Generation Jones or Boomer/X cusp.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/13/17 at 10:46 am

I'm not sure millennials are a conformist generation as a whole. The culture of the Y2K era into the mid '00s was quite conformist.  However, once we got into the emo era things started loosening up a bit.  Things also were more individualistic prior to 1999.  I think the Columbine shootings made an impact in setting the stage for the cleaner, more conformist culture that defined the Y2K era.

While, I would agree that the Y2K era through the mid 00s were more conformist than pre-1999 culture, I still think that the entire 2000s were more individualistic than the 2010s. Back in the 2000s, you still had niche groups that everyone could belong to. Nowadays in the 2010s it's dominated either by the tumblr/hipster aesthetic or by the trap aesthetic.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 10:49 am

One thing I like is the diversity in popular music from the 1970s until the 2000s. Nowadays in the 2010s, the popular genres even if they are "different"...sound exactly or almost exactly the same. What in the world? Why? :(

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/13/17 at 10:50 am

I completely disagree with the notion that the millennial generation will make things "better". If our generation continues to act the way they have been in the 2010s, things could actually get worse in the future.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/13/17 at 8:05 pm

I completely disagree with the notion that the millennial generation will make things "better". If our generation continues to act the way they have been in the 2010s, things could actually get worse in the future.

I think I have an idea at what you are talking about but can you expound?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/16/17 at 2:05 pm

Man y'all were having an intense debates! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/16/17 at 2:06 pm

Yeah, we did a lot of interesting debates while you were gone.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 2:08 pm

Yeah, we did a lot of interesting debates while you were gone.

Straight FACTS ;D.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/16/17 at 2:17 pm

But the comment that Markese made DEFINITELY caught my attention. It does annoy me when certain people chose to solely identify with people 3-4 years older than them but choose to ignore those 3-4 years younger.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/16/17 at 2:29 pm

I will be honest though, those currently 28/29 are definitely the eldest I can relate to and those 17/18 are the VERY youngest I can relate to.
It's just the way I experienced things! ;) ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/16/17 at 2:31 pm

I will be honest though, those currently 28/29 are definitely the eldest I can relate to and those 17/18 are the VERY youngest I can relate to.
It's just the way I experienced things! ;) ;D

The oldest I can relate to is 27/28 (maybe even up to 30) but the youngest I can relate to is 15/16.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/17/17 at 3:57 am

The "sadness" is mostly derived from the fact that we're no longer children. Other than that, I like that Millennials are gaining influence at the expense of Baby Boomers and that we're driving the sociocultural agenda. It just feels strange seeing people that are only 4-5 years older than me in positions of power and prominence.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 1:33 pm

The "sadness" is mostly derived from the fact that we're no longer children. Other than that, I like that Millennials are gaining influence at the expense of Baby Boomers and that we're driving the sociocultural agenda. It just feels strange seeing people that are only 4-5 years older than me in positions of power and prominence.
There are people in our age range who are in power although it's very small; likewise, Millennials have had some power for at least about a decade.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/17/17 at 7:29 pm

There are people in our age range who are in power although it's very small; likewise, Millennials have had some power for at least about a decade.

How old are you?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 7:30 pm

How old are you?

He was born in 1993.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/17 at 9:53 pm

He was born in 1993.

Yeah fall of 1993 to be exact.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 9:58 pm

Yeah fall of 1993 to be exact.
Fall? ;D

I think you mean the summer although it would be the end. Fall babies begin with Libras.

How old are you?
almost 24. ;)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/17 at 10:22 pm

Fall? ;D

I think you mean the summer although it would be the end. Fall babies begin with Libras.
almost 24. ;)

Well, I was going by your birth month which is September. ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/17/17 at 10:32 pm

almost 24. ;)

It's insane that your pushing 25. :o Then again... I'll officially be closer to 25 than 18 the second half of the year. :D :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/17/17 at 10:34 pm

Well, I was going by your birth month which is September. ;D
Oh, I totally understand. It's just that most of September is summer. It's the same with March, June and December which are mainly winter, spring and fall respectively.

It's insane that your pushing 25. :o Then again... I'll officially be closer to 25 than 18 the second half of the year. :D :o
I know. I've been feeling that way since last year. By 2020, I'll be close to 30! :o ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 11:25 pm

Y'all talking about pushing 25 and 30. Meanwhile, I'm just here thinking about when I turn 18 can I round up my age to 20.....;D ;D ;D.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/18/17 at 5:55 am

almost 24. ;)

Cool.

I was mostly talking about Millennials born 1986 and later. For instance, new LA Rams coach Sean McVay just turned 31. Jon Ossoff, 30, is a Democratic candidate looking to represent Georgia's 6th congressional district. Vin Scully, the longtime voice of the Dodgers, retired last season and was replaced by Joe Davis (born in 1987).

It will be really weird one day seeing 1991-borns in those positions. :o

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/18/17 at 10:51 am

Y'all talking about pushing 25 and 30. Meanwhile, I'm just here thinking about when I turn 18 can I round up my age to 20.....;D ;D ;D.

This goes with me too.

Jordan is pushing 35 though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 11:11 am

This goes with me too.

Jordan is pushing 35 though.

Yeah...that's crazy...he was born in '82 (a year before my sister).

Fun but crazy fact: The two of us were born closer to the end of the 1980s than the start of the 2010s :o.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 2:57 pm

Yeah...that's crazy...he was born in '82 (a year before my sister).

Fun but crazy fact: The two of us were born closer to the end of the 1980s than the start of the 2010s :o.

??? Try being convinced in the 80s but born in the 90s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 2:59 pm

Not that crazy.....conceived in 1989 and born in 1990...not crazy at all.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/18/17 at 3:03 pm

You'll be 30 before you know it. Trust me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/17 at 3:04 pm

You mean conceived?

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 3:05 pm

You mean conceived?

lol yeah

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 3:06 pm

You'll be 30 before you know it. Trust me.

I know it was just the other day I was 9....now I'm basically 18 :(. Getting older sucks...when I turn 21...can I stay that age? ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/17 at 3:07 pm

I know it was just the other day I was 9....now I'm basically 18 :(. Getting older sucks...when I turn 21...can I stay that age? ::)

I wish I was in my 20s already. Being a teenager really sucks. I don't know why people like being a teen, when your hormones get really aggravated by that time?

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 3:09 pm

I wish I was in my 20s already. Being a teenager really sucks. I don't know why people like being a teen, when your hormones get really aggravated by that time?

Nothing really exciting about being in your 20s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 3:11 pm

Nothing really exciting about being in your 20s.

Why not? ???

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 3:13 pm

Why not? ???

Adulthood  :\'(. Trust me you will miss your teen years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 3:17 pm

Adulthood  :\'(. Trust me you will miss your teen years.

Are you 26 or 27? However, I know the cons of adulthood like paying bills and having a job but still the perks of being a young adult sounds good to great.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/17 at 3:18 pm

I like being older.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/18/17 at 3:18 pm

Most people are frustrated being a teenager when living through it.  However, people have a knack for looking back fondly at those years once they are further into their adult life.  I look back on my senior year of high school with much more fondness than I ever thought I would when living through it.  It's that way for a lot of people and is one reason pop culture nostalgia sells so well.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/18/17 at 3:20 pm

Are you 26 or 27? However, I know the cons of adulthood like paying bills and having a job but still the perks of being a young adult sounds good to great.

18-25 is a great time of life.  It was the best time of mine (age 23 and 24 were my best years).  You are old enough to have a little more freedom but still young enough to make mistakes.

26-30 sucks...at least it did for me and I don't think I am alone.  There are websites devoted to something called a "quarter life crisis" that hits around the time you hit 25.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 3:21 pm

In May I'll be 27. Closer you get to 30 and you'll start to miss being a teenager. After 21 there's really nothing to look forward to.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 3:22 pm

18-25 is a great time of life.  It was the best time of mine (age 23 and 24 were my best years).  You are old enough to have a little more freedom but still young enough to make mistakes.

26-30 sucks...at least it did for me and I don't think I am alone.  There are websites devoted to something called a "quarter life crisis" that hits around the time you hit 25.

So true!!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 3:23 pm

In May I'll be 27. Closer you get to 30 and you'll start to miss being a teenager. After 21 there's really nothing to look forward to.

I know of all of that and that's why I want to stay 21 years of age ::).

Written By: bchris02 on 04/18/17 at 3:25 pm

Not sure how it will be for you, but for me my 30s so far have been a step up from my late twenties (though still nothing in comparison to my early twenties).

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 3:27 pm

Not sure how it will be for you, but for me my 30s so far have been a step up from my late twenties (though still nothing in comparison to my early twenties).

True!! I have yet to experience my late 20s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/18/17 at 3:28 pm

Most people are frustrated being a teenager when living through it.  However, people have a knack for looking back fondly at those years once they are further into their adult life.  I look back on my senior year of high school with much more fondness than I ever thought I would when living through it.  It's that way for a lot of people and is one reason pop culture nostalgia sells so well.

I don't think I'll look back at my high school years fondly, since that's when my family mostly went through problems (e.g. my dad having a serious stroke, my maternal grandpa dying from cardiac arrest). It was also around the time where I wanted to find a community that shown fondness of the 2000s, even though I was mostly nostalgic for it because of the cartoons and old YouTube videos.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/17 at 3:53 pm

and when you head into your 40's, things change.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 3:56 pm

and when you head into your 40's, things change.

Mid life crisis?

Written By: 2001 on 04/18/17 at 4:27 pm

This sounds about right. I'm on the borderline between those two age groups. For me, 18-24 have been the time of my life, but I also know a lot of 23-28 year olds who are in the "crushed dreams"/depression phase of their life.  :-\\ Some parts of my life are there too, but thankfully I'm still young and have time to get that sorted before the societal pressures of getting married or getting a house kick in.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 4:32 pm

What advice would you guys give me....an 18 year old?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 4:34 pm

I know. I understand that it does suck getting older, but one thing for sure is that we'll be much hotter! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Other perks include:

More time

More money

More traveling

Owning a house

Marriage (I understand not everyone gets married)

Cool.

I was mostly talking about Millennials born 1986 and later. For instance, new LA Rams coach Sean McVay just turned 31. Jon Ossoff, 30, is a Democratic candidate looking to represent Georgia's 6th congressional district. Vin Scully, the longtime voice of the Dodgers, retired last season and was replaced by Joe Davis (born in 1987).

It will be really weird one day seeing 1991-borns in those positions. :o
I know. There are many Millennials (even some under 30) in these positions. In fact, I found some articles about Millennials even in being government, and it was fascinating. Hell, some even own their own business! :o

Oh, and not to make you old or anything; last year, there was a girl our age range running for congress, but she unfortunately lost. In addition, there were more, but most of them lost.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yasamin-beitollahi/millennials-paving-the-wa_4_b_9715668.html

http://ijr.com/2016/09/685186-three-twentysomething-millennials-ran-for-congress-in-2016-they-all-lost/

http://redalertpolitics.com/2016/04/25/5-millennials-yes-5-running-seat-congress/

http://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-are-running-for-congress-and-losing-heres-why-2016-8

and here's another one running for congress this year.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/03/why-is-this-progressive-millennial-running-for-con.html

Oh, and a question. Have you all heard of Tomi Lahren and Allie Stuckley? These ladies are Millennial political commentators, and they are just getting started.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 4:38 pm

I know. I understand that it does suck getting older, but one thing for sure is that we'll be much hotter! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Other perks include:

More time

More money

More traveling

Owning a house

Marriage (I understand not everyone gets married)

Oh, and a question. Have you all heard of Tomi Lahren and Allie Stuckley? These ladies are Millennial political commentators, and they are just getting started.

I want all of those things in bold.

Oh and I do know of Tomi Lahren but not Allie Stuckley.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/18/17 at 4:39 pm

This sounds about right. I'm on the borderline between those two age groups. For me, 18-24 have been the time of my life, but I also know a lot of 23-28 year olds who are in the "crushed dreams"/depression phase of their life.  :-\\ Some parts of my life are there too, but thankfully I'm still young and have time to get that sorted before the societal pressures of getting married or getting a house kick in.

Yeah, the "crushed dreams/depression" phase sounds exactly like my late twenties (27-29), after I moved back to my hometown and even a little bit before.  It's something many people will have to go through.  Our generation was raised being taught that the world was our oyster and that we could be anything we wanted to be.  We were taught that a college degree was a ticket to the good life.  In our late twenties we learn a lot of that was bullsh*t when we find our lives not matching up with the expectations we had in college or high school.  It's a rough time to get through...we long for earlier, more carefree days.  It does get better though.  My advice for you is to live your life how you want and f*ck what society or anybody else says you should be doing it your age.  It's your life and its up to you to make the most of it.  I finally started to realize this truth about the time of my 30th birthday and have been taking slow but incremental steps towards building the life that I want.  It's not easy to do with so many mistakes made during my late twenties still haunting me.

Also...don't buy a house unless that's what you really want to do.  DEFINITELY avoid buying a new car if you can help it.  It's one of the worst financial investments you can make.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 4:41 pm

I want all of those things in bold.

Oh and I do know of Tomi Lahren but not Allie Stuckley.
What about being a hunk?

And this is her

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/avatars/alliebsimmons_1448376239_280.jpg

Oh, and my bad. There's no L in her name. It's just Stuckey.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 4:43 pm

What about being a hunk?

And this is her

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/avatars/alliebsimmons_1448376239_280.jpg

Oh, and my bad. There's no L in her name. It's just Stuckey.

Who is she? I've never seen that woman in my life.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 4:54 pm

Who is she? I've never seen that woman in my life.
That's Allie Stuckey.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 4:58 pm

That's Allie Stuckey.

::) Yes but you know what I mean.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 5:03 pm

::) Yes but you know what I mean.
I think I missed the joke :-[ ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 5:06 pm

I think I missed the joke :-[ ;D

Both Allie and Tomi are ultra-Conservatives. Even so, I'm just saying that Tomi Lahren is cute/pretty ::).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 5:11 pm

Both Allie and Tomi are ultra-Conservatives. Even so, I'm just saying that Tomi Lahren is cute/pretty ::).
Well not Tomi. I think she's more libertarian. Just watch what she said on the view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CprKHzTXNM

However, I agree she is pretty and so is Allie.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 5:15 pm

Well not Tomi. I think she's more libertarian. Just watch what she said on the view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CprKHzTXNM

However, I agree she is pretty and so is Allie.

Tomi is a right wing sort of libertarian but Allie is an ultra-Conservative. How come liberals don't have any pretty, blonde political pundits? ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 5:19 pm

Tomi is a right wing sort of libertarian but Allie is an ultra-Conservative. How come liberals don't have any pretty, blonde political pundits? ;)
I'm not sure. Every-time I see posts about liberals, they seem to be ugly (not even close). I can say Chelsea (Clinton girl), Ivanka and Tiffany (The Trump girls) are beautiful though, and they are not conservative.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 5:22 pm

I'm not sure. Every-time I see posts about liberals, they seem to be ugly (not even close). I can say Chelsea (Clinton girl), Ivanka and Tiffany (The Trump girls) are beautiful though, and they are not conservative.

Perhaps but there is no liberal counterpart to Tomi Lahren. There should be more noteworthy liberal pundits (both male and female).

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 5:25 pm

Perhaps but there is no liberal counterpart to Tomi Lahren. There should be more noteworthy liberal pundits (both male and female).

If liberal girls and women did put makeup on or fixed themselves up they would look hot too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 5:29 pm

If liberal girls and women did put makeup on or fixed themselves up they would look hot too.

So where are they? :(

Written By: exodus08 on 04/18/17 at 5:33 pm

Not sure lol

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 5:33 pm

Well there are noteworthy liberal pundits, but a liberal counterpart to Tomi Lahren is not going to be happening right now. There will be some in the future though.

In the shadows. ;D ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 5:36 pm

Not sure lol

::) OK, whatever.

Well there are noteworthy liberal pundits, but a liberal counterpart to Tomi Lahren is not going to be happening right now. There will be some in the future though.

In the shadows. ;D ;D

There are a few noteworthy liberal pundits but still not as well known as Ben Shapiro, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Tomi Lahren, etc.

They need to come out of the shadows ;D.

Written By: 2001 on 04/18/17 at 5:37 pm

Follow the money.

Just kidding. ;D Life is really unpredictable, so it's hard to give any concrete advice. I guess my advice is... always have a very do-able plan B! And a plan C for good measure. Many people are dead set on one outcome, and sometimes life gets in the way or you make bad choices that completely derails your life plan. #1 reason for depression among my friends is not being able to complete their degree because reasons (within or outside their control), or getting their degree but not the job they wanted (or any job at all). I guess talk to your parents or your school counsellors on working out something, "If X doesn't work out, what else can I do?"

Also, learn finance/economics right now. You thought I said I was kidding when I said follow the money?  :-X Economics is essentially the study about making the right choices.  I become financially literate relatively early at 21 after listening to the audiobook Financial Literacy: Finding Your Way in the Financial Markets, but even I had to knock myself on the head for not learning it earlier. Literally try to read 10 books on finance and micro-economics (and apply it to your personal life) before you head off to university (if you are going to head off to uni that is; remember uni is a financial investment too, many of my friends would've been much happier today if they went to a 2-year college or into a trade instead of getting an unmarketable 4 year degree).

Last piece of advice, never be afraid to ask for help. In fact, always be getting help for one thing or another. Univeristy can be a very lonely experience, but it's also the most support you'll ever get. In early university I was way too shy to ask professors for help or join support groups. I felt I was being a burden if I asked for help, and my profs always sounded busy with their research. That really f*cked me over at times. In my last year, I decided to bite the bullet and start going to LGBT support group meetings and also was much more open to my profs about my school and personal life problems. You'd be surprised about how eager many people are to help, they get enjoyment/satisfaction out of it. :o There are many specialized mental health and financial support groups in university that many people just don't take advantage of. It's a shame really. It's free! It won't always be free: when you're out of uni you have to start paying through the nose for a mental health counsellor or any sort of advice.  :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 5:42 pm

Follow the money.

Just kidding. ;D Life is really unpredictable, so it's hard to give any concrete advice. I guess my advice is... always have a very do-able plan B! And a plan C for good measure. Many people are dead set on one outcome, and sometimes life gets in the way or you make bad choices that completely derails your life plan. #1 reason for depression among my friends is not being able to complete their degree because reasons (within or outside their control), or getting their degree but not the job they wanted (or any job at all). I guess talk to your parents or your school counsellors on working out something, "If X doesn't work out, what else can I do?"

Also, learn finance/economics right now. You thought I said I was kidding when I said follow the money?  :-X Economics is essentially the study about making the right choices.  I become financially literate relatively early at 21 after listening to the audiobook Financial Literacy: Finding Your Way in the Financial Markets, but even I had to knock myself on the head for not learning it earlier. Literally try to read 10 books on finance and micro-economics (and apply it to your personal life) before you head off to university (if you are going to head off to uni that is; remember uni is a financial investment too, many of my friends would've been much happier today if they went to a 2-year college or into a trade instead of getting an unmarketable 4 year degree).

Last piece of advice, never be afraid to ask for help. In fact, always be getting help for one thing or another. Univeristy can be a very lonely experience, but it's also the most support you'll ever get. In early university I was way too shy to ask professors for help or join support groups. I felt I was being a burden if I asked for help, and my profs always sounded busy with their research. That really f*cked me over at times. In my last year, I decided to bite the bullet and start going to LGBT support group meetings and also was much more open to my profs about my school and personal life problems. You'd be surprised about how eager many people are to help, they get enjoyment/satisfaction out of it. :o There are many specialized mental health and financial support groups in university that many people just don't take advantage of. It's a shame really. It's free! It won't always be free: when you're out of uni you have to start paying through the nose for a mental health counsellor or any sort of advice.  :o

Thanks you very much Slowpoke (I don't know your first name). I will take your advise wisely :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/18/17 at 5:47 pm

There are a few noteworthy liberal pundits but still not as well known as Ben Shapiro, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Tomi Lahren, etc.

They need to come out of the shadows ;D.
Right, but there will be more in the future.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 5:48 pm

Right, but there will be more in the future.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I hope so ;).

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/18/17 at 6:47 pm

Based on my experience:

18-20 is when you're enjoying your new life fresh out of high school and just starting to learn about the real world. Your hand is very much still being held.

21-23 are your true early 20s. You've definitely moved on from high school and are no longer an adolescent, but you're still incredibly naive and are likely still trying to figure out where you're headed.

Once you hit 24, you are squarely in your mid 20s and are expected to have some sort of independence (not financial, but more emotional/psychological) from your parents.

The second your turn 25, you are already closer to 30 than 20! Quite frightening to think about, but there's comfort in knowing that you're still young and in the thick of your 20s.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/18/17 at 6:52 pm

Have a conversation with yourself about what you want to do with the rest of your life, but don't be afraid of making mistakes right out of the gate. Also, be patient with yourself by not forcing the issue. You ARE going to make mistakes and you won't immediately have all the answers... use that to your advantage to learn and grow.

Finally, enjoy it while it lasts. As bchris02 said, you'll be approaching 30 before you know it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 6:53 pm

Have a conversation with yourself about what you want to do with the rest of your life, but don't be afraid of making mistakes right out of the gate. Also, be patient with yourself by not forcing the issue. You ARE going to make mistakes and you won't immediately have all the answers... use that to your advantage to learn and grow.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/18/17 at 6:56 pm

I hate the culture now so much I want it demolished in favor of something totally new and unexpected. I need a breath of fresh air. I need change.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/18/17 at 6:56 pm

Finally, enjoy it while it lasts. As bchris02 said, you'll be approaching 30 before you know it.

Thanks again :)... I will enjoy it.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 4:49 am

Mid life crisis?

that's one thing.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 4:49 am

Don't do drugs.

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/19/17 at 10:48 am

I miss the 80s revival. I really disliked the 90s revival (except that I bought many grunge cds in 2012-14).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 12:00 pm

Don't do drugs.

I'll try not to do drugs ;).

Written By: d90 on 04/19/17 at 12:13 pm

Make sure to really take care of your teeth and see your dentist.
Research the type of job you want

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 12:16 pm

I have researched the job that I want thanks.

Oh and I will take care of my teeth ;D.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/19/17 at 2:18 pm

Based on my experience:

18-20 is when you're enjoying your new life fresh out of high school and just starting to learn about the real world. Your hand is very much still being held.

21-23 are your true early 20s. You've definitely moved on from high school and are no longer an adolescent, but you're still incredibly naive and are likely still trying to figure out where you're headed.

Once you hit 24, you are squarely in your mid 20s and are expected to have some sort of independence (not financial, but more emotional/psychological) from your parents.

The second your turn 25, you are already closer to 30 than 20! Quite frightening to think about, but there's comfort in knowing that you're still young and in the thick of your 20s.

Yup! this perfectly summed up my experiences as well. :o

Written By: Howard on 04/19/17 at 5:31 pm

that ain't advice, that's common knowledge.  ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/20/17 at 7:17 pm

Hit the gym and get strong.

That's what I'd tell my 18 year old self anyway.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 7:26 pm

Hit the gym and get strong.

That's what I'd tell my 18 year old self anyway.

HAHA..I will. I'm slightly muscular and I definitely want to build my muscle up.

Written By: aja675 on 04/21/17 at 10:09 am

I didn't like my entire teens, from the very beginning of being 13 to the last minute of being 19. Like, lemme say that my life just two years ago or the early part of last year was this trope in action: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CollegeIsHighSchoolPart2

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/21/17 at 10:24 am

Based on my experience:

People evolve/mature at different rates regardless of age.

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/21/17 at 12:05 pm

People evolve/mature at different rates regardless of age.

I agree completely. Also, people may mature fast in certain areas, while maturing slower in other areas. It's not all cut and dried. That's why it annoys me a bit when people say "you should be or should have accomplished _____, by age ____". For example, I didn't get my drivers license until last year (at 22). There are people who don't discover their dreams or passions until they are in their 30s and 40s.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/21/17 at 12:32 pm

I agree completely. Also, people may mature fast in certain areas, while maturing slower in other areas. It's not all cut and dried. That's why it annoys me a bit when people say "you should be or should have accomplished _____, by age ____". For example, I didn't get my drivers license until last year (at 22). There are people who don't discover their dreams or passions until they are in their 30s and 40s.

WOW that's shocking to me!  :o

Here in the south everybody expects you to get your learner's permit the moment you turn 15 and your driver's license the moment you turn 16. Everybody expects you to be fully experienced on all kinds of roads (including interstates) by the time you turn 18.

If I had lived in New York I probably wouldn't have gotten my license until much later on.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 12:49 pm

I know that people mature at different ages and that people do things differently, but I'd say that by 30 you should be able to take care of yourself. I'm not counting people with physical deformities, physical sicknesses, and severe mental illnesses, in this. But if you have all of your limbs, and your mental health, it's hard for me not to judge.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 12:50 pm

Here in the south everybody expects you to get your learner's permit the moment you turn 15 and your driver's license the moment you turn 16. Everybody expects you to be fully experienced on all kinds of roads (including interstates) by the time you turn 18.

If I had lived in New York I probably wouldn't have gotten my license until much later on.

Yeah, I live in NYC and still don't have my license. I'll get it either this year or whenever.

I know that people mature at different ages and that people do things differently, but I'd say that by 30 you should be able to take care of yourself. I'm not counting people with physical deformities, physical sicknesses, and severe mental illnesses, in this. But if you have all of your limbs, and your mental health, it's hard for me not to judge.

BTW, how tall are you? (just asking)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 12:51 pm

Yeah, I live in NYC and still don't have my license. I'll get it either this year or whenever.
BTW, how tall are you? (just asking)

5'11".  ;D  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 12:53 pm

5'11"  ;D  ;D

Thank you ;D ;D ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/21/17 at 12:54 pm

I lived in the Santa Cruz county when I was a teenager. It's a pretty small area of California, so it was easy to get around either by bus, or by walking. It wasn't too unusual to meet someone 20+ who didn't have a license, since so many people relied on public transportation there.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 12:59 pm

Julia Child didn't figure out she wanted to be a cook until age 36. Maya Angelou didn't figure out she liked writing until 31.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/17 at 1:06 pm

I got my G1 (licence where you can drive if you have a fully licensed driver with you) at 16, because my dad forced me. My G2 (you can drive by yourself, but not on highways) at 17. Then I got my G (full licence) at 22, because my G2 was about to expire and I was like "no way I'm taking another test to get that same licence", so I went for the next level. ;D

It's normal to me. A lot of my friends don't have a licence. Toronto is very bike friendly. I would say it's public transport-friendly too, but not by my standards!  :-X :-X But compared to the rest of North America it looks like Tokyo or Hong Kong for sure. I remember when my cousins from Texas came here, they were like "you have trains? :o" ;D ;D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/21/17 at 3:52 pm

I think the era you're in determines your happiness more than your age.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/17 at 4:04 pm

HAHA..I will. I'm slightly muscular and I definitely want to build my muscle up.

You can always lay on the couch wolfing down a bag of chips and drinking a can of Coke. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 4:08 pm

You can always lay on the couch wolfing down a bag of chips and drinking a can of Coke. ;D

That's the reason why I am only slightly muscular ;D ;D.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 4:11 pm

I'm lifting weights now, but only for weight loss and vanity reasons!  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 4:14 pm

I'm lifting weights now, but only for weight loss and vanity reasons!  :-X  :-X  :-X

It's OK...I want to build my muscle up for vanity reasons as well :-X :-X :-X.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/17 at 4:43 pm

I'm on the couch like Al Bundy.  ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 04/21/17 at 7:43 pm

I think the era you're in determines your happiness more than your age.

This 100%.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/17 at 5:29 am

You can always gain some weight.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 10:36 am

You can always gain some weight.

Yeah, I know.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/17 at 5:08 pm

Yeah, I know.

lay on the couch, burp, fart and watch some football.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 5:13 pm

lay on the couch, burp, fart and watch some football.  ;D

;D Daily life of an average American Joe.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/17 at 5:24 pm

;D Daily life of an average American Joe.

Yep!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...