inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Baby Boomers last stand

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 4:43 pm

The 2016 election maybe the last one where the baby boomers held the majority vote. In 2020 those born between 1999-2002 will get to vote. Is this the baby boomers last stand or will they still hold the majority next election?

Subject: Re: Baby Boomers last stand

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:46 pm

Actually, I say the millennials were the ones who held the majority vote last year although they didn't go to the polls for many reasons. In 2020 however, they will come out stronger.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 4:46 pm

I'll just leave this here .....................8)
http://www.the-numbers.com/video/Last-Stand-The/Last-Stand-The-poster.jpg

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 4:51 pm

Actually, I say the millennials were the ones who held the majority vote last year although they didn't go to the polls for many reasons. In 2020 however, they will come out stronger.

Can't wait for next election where we show the old folks that we're in charge now ;D. Plus I'm hoping we can get a Gen X presidential candidate like Tulsi Gabbard.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:53 pm

Can't wait for next election where we show the old folks that we're in charge now ;D. Plus I'm hoping we can get a Gen X presidential candidate like Tulsi Gabbard.
Yeah, I have a feeling that a Gen X candidate in 2020 could pull off a win for the WH.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 5:05 pm

I agree.  This is one reason I think that Bernie could have beat Trump while Hillary couldn't.  A lot of Millennials, even liberal ones who voted for Obama, didn't care for Hillary so they stayed home.  That wouldn't have been the case if Bernie would have been on the ballot.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/12/17 at 5:07 pm

I like Tulsi.
Also, isn't Rand Paul Gen-X? He was born roughly around the year '65 or '66, which makes him early Gen... I could deal with a Rand Paul presidency... his foreign policy is likable, even if his fiscal policy is hit-or-miss.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 5:09 pm

I agree.  This is one reason I think that Bernie could have beat Trump while Hillary couldn't.  A lot of Millennials, even liberal ones who voted for Obama, didn't care for Hillary so they stayed home.  That wouldn't have been the case if Bernie would have been on the ballot.
Oh yeah, most of them wanted Bernie because he had great ideas in mind and then all of a sudden, he was cheated by the DNC. He was even in 1st place last year for the liberals/democrats. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:09 pm

I like Tulsi.
Also, isn't Rand Paul Gen-X? He was born roughly around the year '65 or '66, which makes him early Gen... I could deal with a Rand Paul presidency... his foreign policy is likable, even if his fiscal policy is hit-or-miss.

Rand Paul was born in 1963, so he's a Baby Boomer not a Gen Xer.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:10 pm

Boomers will still be the most important demographic. The Millennial turn out was, what, 30%? And for Boomers it was like 70%. It's not even close haha.

In Canada, millennial turnout in the 2015 election was 60%, for Gen X it was 70%, for Boomers it was 75%. We got our Gen X prime minister! :D The UK also had a Gen X prime minister, although he's been replaced by a Boomer in Theresa May. Hopefully Emmanuel Macron (the guy in my avatar) wins in France and delivers another Gen X world leader. :D

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:14 pm

That's right he was born in 1963. If Bernie had won he would have been the first Silent generation president ever

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:16 pm

That's right he was born in 1963. If Bernie had won he would have been the first Silent generation president ever

I like Bernie for most of his ideas but I still think that he was too old. However, then again, Hillary and Trump are both (basically) 70...:-X :-X :-X.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 5:16 pm

I like Bernie for most of his ideas but I still think that he was too old. However, then again, Hillary and Trump are both (basically) 70...:-X :-X :-X.

and he could run again in 2020. Let's hope so.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:20 pm

If Bernie runs in 2020 and wins (which he won't but we're just imagining here), he'll be 79 years old on both Election Day (Nov. 3rd, 2020) and Inauguration Day (Jan. 20th, 2021). Bernie will be waaay too old (he already is). At the end of his first day in office, we'll probably have to send him to Shady Pines Retirement Home....:-X :-X :-X :-X.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:21 pm

He'll be 79 by 2020 so I'm hoping he's healthy by then.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:21 pm

I don't like any three of those candidates.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 5:22 pm

If Bernie runs in 2020 and wins (which he won't but we're just imagining here), he'll be 79 years old on both Election Day and Inauguration Day. Bernie will be waaay too old (he already is). At the end of his first day in office, we'll probably have to send him to Shady Pines Retirement Home....:-X :-X :-X :-X.

He'll be 79 by 2020 so I'm hoping he's  healthy by then.

I know! however, if he doesn't run, hopefully someone will take his ideas and campaign with them in 2020. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:24 pm

I don't like any three of those candidates.

Not an uncommon opinion.

I know! however, if he doesn't run, hopefully someone will take his ideas and campaign with them in 2020. 

Probably Tulsi Gabbard or Cory Booker but I wouldn't vote for either of them.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 5:25 pm

I have heard of those two, and they could be good candidates. No, how come you wouldn't vote for them?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:27 pm

I have heard of those two, and they could be good candidates. No, how come you wouldn't vote for them?

They just aren't my style of Presidential candidate. They seem rather unready and dare I say "weak".

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:27 pm

If Bernie runs in 2020 and wins (which he won't but we're just imagining here), he'll be 79 years old on both Election Day (Nov. 3rd, 2020) and Inauguration Day (Jan. 20th, 2021). Bernie will be waaay too old (he already is). At the end of his first day in office, we'll probably have to send him to Shady Pines Retirement Home....:-X :-X :-X :-X.

The current oldest world leader is Robert Mugabe, the President of Zimbabwe, he's 93 years old. He's frequently hospitalized, though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:29 pm

The current oldest world leader is Robert Mugabe, he's 93 years old. He's frequently hospitalized, though.

and he's a dictator...;).

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:31 pm

The current oldest world leader is Robert Mugabe, the President of Zimbabwe, he's 93 years old. He's frequently hospitalized, though.

Yikes! That's to old. I'm hoping Queen Elizabeth II takes her last breath soon.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 5:33 pm

Boomers will still be the most important demographic. The Millennial turn out was, what, 30%? And for Boomers it was like 70%. It's not even close haha.

I hope you are wrong on this but its quite sad if you are right.  I don't think we will see real progress in this country until the boomers are no longer the ruling generation.  Of course we are at a point now where members of GenX and even older Millennials are being elected into office, they still reflect boomer ideals because that's who the primary voting bloc is.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:35 pm

Not an uncommon opinion.

I heart Cory Booker.  :-

:o :o :o Vivat regina! I'm not ready for King Charles.  :-X

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:38 pm

:o :o :o Vivat regina! I'm not ready for King Charles.  :-X

I'm not a fan of him either but King William & Queen Kate.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 5:39 pm

I'm so annoyed with any news regarding the Royal Family, and I vividly remembered the craze of the Royal Baby stuff.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:40 pm

I heart Cory Booker.  :-http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/653*367/56177382.jpg

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:44 pm

I'm so annoyed with any news regarding the Royal Family, and I vividly remembered the craze of the Royal Baby stuff.
I hate the royal family. I'm not sure why the rest of the world is obsessed with them especially America.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:47 pm

They're too young. I like the guiding hand of Queen Elizabeth. She's like a wise grandmother, even though she never says anything of importance.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:49 pm

I don't hate the BRITISH Royal Family (let's remember that they aren't the only royal family in the world...not even in Europe much less). I actually like that family...:-X :-X :-X.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:50 pm

They're too young. I like the guiding hand of Queen Elizabeth. She's like a wise grandmother, even though she never says anything of importance.  :-X

I have a feeling she hired people to kill Princess Diana.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 5:56 pm

I have a feeling she hired people to kill Princess Diana.

Why would she do that? :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 5:57 pm

You've never heard of that conspiracy before? ???

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 5:58 pm

Because she was going to marry a Muslim.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/12/17 at 6:03 pm

I hate the royal family. I'm not sure why the rest of the world is obsessed with them especially America.

I see it in magazines everywhere in stores. It will always have Royal Family faces on the front cover.

And throughout parts of the mid and even the early 2010's, I would always hear stories regarding "Kate is pregnant".

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 6:33 pm

I don't get the royal family hooplah either, especially in America.  I can understand it in Britain since it is there tradition, but I don't get why Americans care.  I guess it might be because it is a relic of a long bygone era and the UK is perhaps the only first-world country that still has its monarchy.  There are other monarchies out there, but they tend to be in the second or third world.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 6:36 pm

I don't get the royal family hooplah either, especially in America.  I can understand it in Britain since it is there tradition, but I don't get why Americans care.  I guess it might be because it is a relic of a long bygone era and the UK is perhaps the only first-world country that still has its monarchy.  There are other monarchies out there, but they tend to be in the second or third world.

False....Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Spain, and Japan all have monarchies.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 6:51 pm

I hope not. Even though she's in her early 90s, I don't think we should ever jinx her death.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 7:06 pm

People born in 1960-64 aren't really boomers or Gen Xers, they're a mix of both.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 7:06 pm

False....Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Spain, and Japan all have monarchies.

As do Canada, Australia and New Zealand. ;D

Netherlands and Luxembourg too. :)

Here's the full map.

http://www.royaltymonarchy.com/images/Monarchies_of_the_world.PNG

There are more first world monarchies, and some of the most democratic and stable countries in the world are monarchies. I think you all know what that means: install Hillary as your Queen!  :-X

I hope you are wrong on this but its quite sad if you are right.  I don't think we will see real progress in this country until the boomers are no longer the ruling generation.  Of course we are at a point now where members of GenX and even older Millennials are being elected into office, they still reflect boomer ideals because that's who the primary voting bloc is.

I think Gen X are more conservative than Boomers, so be careful what you wish for! :-X The older boomers (1946-1953) are actually very progressive, and they'll be the first to go.  :\'(

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/12/17 at 7:15 pm

I heart Cory Booker.  :-[

I'm from New Jersey and I could attest that Cory Booker (like most DINOS) is massively corrupt. He'd basically be another Obama both in political style and economics. Now Tulsi Gabbard on the other hand would be an amazing president!

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/12/17 at 7:18 pm

Yeah starting next election it may seem like Millennials would be the major voting bloc. If we go with the 1982-2000 definition, that means Millennials in 2020 will be a similar age to when the Boomers were in 1984. Its crazy though, we may be repeating history in a way when it comes to Presidential candidates, I'd suggest reading this article its pretty interesting:

https://qz.com/836658/donald-trumps-age-how-baby-boomer-generation-x-and-millennial-presidents-would-change-the-course-of-america/

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 7:19 pm

People born in 1960-64 aren't really boomers or Gen Xers, they're a mix of both.

I disagree since my dad was born in 1958, while my mom was born in 1963. They felt like they didn't have any differences within their interests.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 7:20 pm

Yeah in some cases but Rand is definitely a Baby Boomer.

As do Canada, Australia and New Zealand. ;D

Netherlands and Luxembourg too. :)

Here's the full map.

http://www.royaltymonarchy.com/images/Monarchies_of_the_world.PNG

There are more first world monarchies, and some of the most democratic and stable countries in the world are monarchies. I think you all know what that means: install Hillary as your Queen!  :-X

I was too lazy to add the Netherlands and Luxembourg...:P.

I'm from New Jersey and I could attest that Cory Booker (like most DINOS) is massively corrupt. He'd basically be another Obama both in political style and economics. Now Tulsi Gabbard on the other hand would be an amazing president!

I'm not too sure about that.

Yeah starting next election it may seem like Millennials would be the major voting bloc. If we go with the 1982-2000 definition, that means Millennials in 2020 will be a similar age to when the Boomers were in 1984. Its crazy though, we may be repeating history in a way when it comes to Presidential candidates, I'd suggest reading this article its pretty interesting:

https://qz.com/836658/donald-trumps-age-how-baby-boomer-generation-x-and-millennial-presidents-would-change-the-course-of-america/

2020 will be a VERY influential Presidential election even more than 2016.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 7:24 pm

You say that like it's a bad thing!  :o

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 7:45 pm

I think Gen X are more conservative than Boomers, so be careful what you wish for! :-X The older boomers (1946-1953) are actually very progressive, and they'll be the first to go.  :\'(

Hmmm? I thought the younger Boomers were more progressive than the older ones. The more you know.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/17 at 7:56 pm

They were/are the first 'Me' generation.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 8:09 pm

Hmmm? I thought the younger Boomers were more progressive than the older ones. The more you know.

I'm going by this.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/08/upshot/how-the-year-you-were-born-influences-your-politics.html?_r=0

It's from 2012, so it's outdated now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 8:23 pm

Are DINOS basically Democrats but not supportive of the Democratic Party?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 8:26 pm

Are DINOS basically Democrats but not supportive of the Democratic Party?

Yes, basically...DINOS equals Democrat In Name Only.

You also have RINOS....Republican In Name Only.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 8:31 pm

I pretty much knew about that. It's actually the reason why I asked him that.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 8:33 pm

I pretty much knew about that. It's actually the reason why I asked him that.

Oh OK. DINOs is a less popular term because MUCH more Democrats aren't as sleazy as many Repubs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/17 at 8:35 pm

Oh OK. DINOs is a less popular term because MUCH more Democrats aren't as sleazy as many Repubs.

Oh. I guess that makes sense since most Democrats are loyal to their party.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 8:36 pm

Oh. I guess that makes sense since most Democrats are loyal to their party.

Yes, exactly (except for f*cking Joe Manchin >:().

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/17 at 11:03 pm

I don't know how old you were but the Royal Family was pretty big in the mid-late 90s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 11:08 pm

I don't know how old you were but the Royal Family was pretty big in the mid-late 90s.

T-Rex was born in August 1999.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/17 at 11:26 pm

I remember this.  Princess Diana was adored back then, from her wedding all the way to her death.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 11:28 pm

I remember this.  Princess Diana was adored back then, from her wedding all the way to her death.

I personally don't remember that but my mother did and she was a big admirer of Princess Diana and was terribly saddened when she tragically died in 1997.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/12/17 at 11:30 pm

RINOS and DINOS... sounds very obviously like "rhinos" and "dinos". Clever.

Hey ReignMan, off topic, but do you like Vaporwave or relaxing music in general? Then you should check out the Vaporwave thread that I bumped recently. I posted some fabulous tunes that I'd like to share with the world.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 11:33 pm

RINOS and DINOS... sounds very obviously like "rhinos" and "dinos". Clever.

Hey ReignMan, off topic, but do you like Vaporwave or relaxing music in general? Then you should check out the Vaporwave thread that I bumped recently. I posted some fabulous tunes that I'd like to share with the world.

The DINOS and RINOS thing is clever.

Oh and I don't know what Vaporwave is but I do like relaxing music.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/12/17 at 11:52 pm

The DINOS and RINOS thing is clever.

It's elevator music lol

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/12/17 at 11:53 pm

It's elevator music lol

Really? So why call it vaporwave? :o

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/13/17 at 12:00 am

You say that like it's a bad thing!  :o

I don't mean it to say he'd be a bad president (I'd take him over any Republican any day of the week!) but he's certainly not a progressive or at the very least is willing to fight for progressive ideas. Hence why he'd a be continuation of Obama, Liberal on Social Issue, Centre-Left on Economic issues (and this is obviously from an American perspective, I'm sure in your country it would be closer to standard fiscal conservatism).

Idk about that.... Remember the 2016 DNC Convention?

You should it's A E S T H E T I C A L L Y  P L E A S I N G

It's elevator music lol

Its not >:(

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/13/17 at 12:02 am

This the 'first hit' for any newcomer of the genre. If you like this tune, your sure to like VaporWave

cU8HrO7XuiE

Also check out my thread I dedicated to the topic:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54729.0

Written By: exodus08 on 04/13/17 at 12:04 am

This the 'first hit' for any newcomer of the genre. If you like this tune, your sure to like VaporWave

cU8HrO7XuiE

It's like being put on hold when you're calling a company.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/13/17 at 12:05 am

It's like being put on hold when you're calling a company.

It feels great innit?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 12:05 am

Idk about that.... Remember the 2016 DNC Convention?

Yeah I do but that still doesn't change my statement. I didn't say that there aren't sleazy Democratic politicians and you can't really consider them DINOS unlike Joe Manchin....>:(.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 12:07 am

cU8HrO7XuiE

I'm sorry to say but I'm not a fan...:-X.

Written By: exodus08 on 04/13/17 at 12:09 am

cU8HrO7XuiE

Just listen to 90s & 00s dance music.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/13/17 at 12:16 am

I'm sorry to say but I'm not a fan...:-X.

George Clanton (ESPRIT 空想) has an interesting playlist called Vaporwave (Long) on Spotify. Sift through that before throwing it away.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/13/17 at 12:16 am

George Clanton (ESPRIT 空想) has an interesting playlist called Vaporwave (Long) on Spotify. Sift through that before throwing it away.

Maybe, I'll check it out. Maybe.....:-\\.

Check for new replies or respond here...