inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV to resurrect TRL June 12th

Written By: the2001 on 04/17/17 at 5:12 pm

Nearly a decade after MTV axed “TRL,” the network’s new boss is looking to resurrect the afternoon live TV staple.

A new daily afternoon show, tentatively titled “MTV Live,” will debut June 12 on the network, broadcasting live from the same Times Square studio that served as the home of “TRL” from 1998 to 2008, MTV president Chris McCarthy said in an interview with AdWeek.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mtv-launching-trl-style-daily-live-show/

Subject: Re: MTV to resurrect TRL June 12th

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/17 at 5:20 pm

The original TRL lucked out. Teen pop was at its peak in 1998, so it was a fateful meeting. Add to that rock groups, rap, and other genres made TRL a colorful variety to watch.

I'm not sure we'd get this fun mix of music like we did back then, these days.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 5:22 pm

The original TRL lucked out. Teen pop was at its peak in 1998, so it was a fateful meeting. Add to that rock groups, rap, and other genres made TRL a colorful variety to watch.

That's true and I'm not even sure that it's going to be a similar show to "TRL"...MTV has only given out basic and vague details about "MTV Live".

Written By: the2001 on 04/17/17 at 5:34 pm

That's true and I'm not even sure that it's going to be a similar show to "TRL"...MTV has only given out basic and vague details about "MTV Live".

aDweek says its going to be a clone of TRL with heavy emphasis  on musical performances and interviews

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 5:35 pm

aDweek says its going to be a clone of TRL with heavy emphasis  on musical performances and interviews

Will it have a host as well? What about live performances?

Written By: the2001 on 04/17/17 at 5:37 pm

Will it have a host as well? What about live performances?

yes, MTV brought TRL back a few months ago for a special, it will have a host

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 5:45 pm

yes, MTV brought TRL back a few months ago for a special, it will have a host

Hmmm OK....I'll just wait until it airs to see for sure if it's "TRL 2.0".

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/17/17 at 6:25 pm

Teen pop peaked from around the middle of 1999 to Y2K I think, not 1998 (1998 still had some core 90's elements).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 6:26 pm

Teen pop peaked from around the middle of 1999 to Y2K I think, not 1998 (1998 still had some core 90's elements).

1998 was when *NSYNC became popular and The Backstreet Boys became famous in 1997.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/17/17 at 6:32 pm

1998 was when *NSYNC became popular and The Backstreet Boys became famous in 1997.

Do you agree with the chart I made?

Late 1996-mid 1997: Formation stage (really just Spice Girls and a few others) - grunge bands started breaking up, and Britpop starts to lose popularity.
Late 1997-early 1999: Other teen pop bands start to progressively gain more acceptance and popularity. Some core 90's elements are still relevant in this period, but it is fading away.
Mid 1999 - 2000: Peak of the teen pop craze
2001: Teen pop still is popular, but you can already see, especially later in the year, that it is "packing its bags"
Early-mid 2002: Nail in coffin for teen pop

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/17/17 at 6:35 pm

Late 1996-mid 1997: Formation stage (really just Spice Girls and a few others) - grunge bands started breaking up, and Britpop starts to lose popularity.
Late 1997-early 1999: Other teen pop bands start to progressively gain more acceptance and popularity. Some core 90's elements are still relevant in this period, but it is fading away.
2001: Teen pop still is popular, but you can already see, especially later in the year, that it is "packing its bags"

Yes, I agree with that assessment.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/17/17 at 8:03 pm

I remember feeling like Toxic was Britney Spears' comeback track, which is funny cuz it wasn't at all long since I'm a Slave 4 U. Between those singles you could feel a shift away from teenybopper pop.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/17 at 8:08 pm

I worded it wrong, I meant that teen pop was huge, and popular in 1998, not that it peaked. You're right, it peaked in 1999, and the first half of 2000.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/18/17 at 12:08 am

1998 still had music that sounded like this, which has a lot of "core 90s" influence.

The Flies, Got You Where I Want You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM_OWaItNJM

Written By: Ripley on 04/18/17 at 12:27 am

With mainstream music sucking now, this is going to be a big failure.... Out of the 200 million or so viewers from before, only 1 viewer will watch, and it won't be me! As for the tweens/teens, yeah if JB or Miley or 1D come on they'll watch. Or the other annoyances like Megan Trainor or that Sia girl. I apologize to any of you that like those I mentioned but most newer artists suck.

Written By: the2001 on 04/18/17 at 9:01 am

With mainstream music sucking now, this is going to be a big failure.... Out of the 200 million or so viewers from before, only 1 viewer will watch, and it won't be me! As for the tweens/teens, yeah if JB or Miley or 1D come on they'll watch. Or the other annoyances like Megan Trainor or that Sia girl. I apologize to any of you that like those I mentioned but most newer artists suck.

it might work

Written By: the2001 on 04/19/17 at 8:44 pm

is anyone else excited for this?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/19/17 at 9:21 pm

is anyone else excited for this?

Not with the state of music today.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 9:26 pm

True.

Written By: the2001 on 04/20/17 at 10:55 am

its alot better than the last 5 years lol

Written By: the2001 on 04/20/17 at 10:55 am

I also think alot of people who downplay the influence of TRL werent even born when it was in its prime  lol

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 11:09 am

I also think alot of people who downplay the influence of TRL werent even born when it was in its prime  lol

Not true if you are talking about me and unconventional99 was born in 1986....so try again.

Written By: the2001 on 04/20/17 at 12:01 pm

Not true if you are talking about me and unconventional99 was born in 1986....so try again.

Not you, but I am saying alot of people downplay TRL's influence on the record industry,
they were begging MTV not to take it off the air.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 12:04 pm

Not you, but I am saying alot of people downplay TRL's influence on the record industry,
they were begging MTV not to take it off the air.

Yeah but that was then NOT now. I just don't think "MTV Live" will be nearly as successful as "TRL". Shows like "TRL" and "106 & Park" were products of their times (late 1990s and 2000s).....the music industry just isn't the same now.

Written By: the2001 on 04/20/17 at 12:29 pm

Yeah but that was then NOT now. I just don't think "MTV Live" will be nearly as successful as "TRL". Shows like "TRL" and "106 & Park" were products of their times (late 1990s and 2000s).....the music industry just isn't the same now.

well we will see what happens

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 12:35 pm

well we will see what happens

Yeah, I said that earlier.

Written By: the2001 on 04/21/17 at 7:13 am

already got my tickets

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/21/17 at 8:52 am

TRL's gonna revive the music industry? When will the lies end!? ::)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/21/17 at 10:55 am

IT'll never be what it once was. Many of the boy bands that fueled it have disbanded, Michael Jackson is dead, Prince is dead, Madonna is a corpse but won't lie down, the big draws that once were are gone and what's "replaced" them are no where near as spectacular.  :( This a set up for a failure.

Written By: Ripley on 04/21/17 at 3:22 pm

"Madonna is a corpse" lmao. Well her music is definitely dead lol

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/21/17 at 4:07 pm

Not really. It's blander than ever.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/17 at 1:08 pm

We had a show in Canada called "MTV Live" that aired in the late 2000s. It aired on MTV Canada (the Canadian version of MTV). So I think many people will get confused between the two shows now that the new one will be called MTV Live.  ???

Written By: the2001 on 04/23/17 at 5:46 pm

We had a show in Canada called "MTV Live" that aired in the late 2000s. It aired on MTV Canada (the Canadian version of MTV). So I think many people will get confused between the two shows now that the new one will be called MTV Live.  ???

they wont because it wont air in Canada lol

the TRL studio in NY is iconic, ppl will know what it is lol

Written By: 80sfan on 04/23/17 at 6:12 pm

TRL's prime? 1998 to 2003?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/23/17 at 6:13 pm

TRL's prime? 1998 to 2003?

That's the Carson Daly era so yes.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/23/17 at 6:15 pm

That's the Carson Daly era so yes.

Oh, I remember him. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/23/17 at 6:58 pm

Oh, I remember him. ;D

Yeah, he was a big deal back then!

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/17 at 7:01 pm

they wont because it wont air in Canada lol

the TRL studio in NY is iconic, ppl will know what it is lol

I think it will air in Canada for those who have MTV.

Written By: the2001 on 04/23/17 at 7:36 pm

I think it will air in Canada for those who have MTV.

did TRL air in Canada ?

I knw u guys had much music on demand

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/17 at 7:59 pm

:\'(
did TRL air in Canada ?

I knw u guys had much music on demand

Yes it did. I preferred MOD though because they played full-length music videos.

Written By: John Titor on 05/30/17 at 8:11 pm

so MTV has decided making the VINE guy the host of TRL, well this is a surprise

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/cIcqXeXFF.png

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 11:30 am

I agree with this. TRL was huge in the late '90s and early '00s, but that was a different time. YouTube didn't exist, and downloading music online was still something that a large majority of people couldn't do. Back in those days, TRL decided what music was popular by what they decided to play. That's just the way it was. When I was in middle school and high school, if you didn't get your video on TRL, then you didn't matter.

Times are totally different now, though. It's not about CD sales and getting your video on MTV anymore. It's all about traction on social media and your number of views on YouTube these days. There's just no way that a show like TRL can have the same impact that it did back then.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 11:35 am

I agree with this. TRL was huge in the late '90s and early '00s, but that was a different time. YouTube didn't exist, and downloading music online was still something that a large majority of people couldn't do. Back in those days, TRL decided what music was popular by what they decided to play. That's just the way it was. When I was in middle school and high school, if you didn't get your video on TRL, then you didn't matter.

Times are totally different now, though. It's not about CD sales and getting your video on MTV anymore. It's all about traction on social media and your number of views on YouTube these days. There's just no way that a show like TRL can have the same impact that it did back then.

Yeah, I totally agree....you hit all the points.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/31/17 at 11:54 am

TRL was a 2000s thing, not late '90s thing because it only came out late 1998 and really took off in the 2000s.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/31/17 at 1:02 pm

I agree with this completely.  I'm really surprised MTV is bringing this back.  They have always primarily focused on current trends and de-emphasized preserving their past.  After all, TRL's audience in the late 90s and early 00s are well past MTV's target audience today.  I personally don't think this will last.  It will be a nice nostalgia trip for Millennials who grew up with MTV when they had TRL, but there really isn't a reason to have it anymore with YouTube and streaming videos.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 1:06 pm

I agree with this completely.  I'm really surprised MTV is bringing this back.  They have always primarily focused on current trends and de-emphasized preserving their past.  After all, TRL's audience in the late 90s and early 00s are well past MTV's target audience today.  I personally don't think this will last.  It will be a nice nostalgia trip for Millennials who grew up with MTV when they had TRL, but there really isn't a reason to have it anymore with YouTube and streaming videos.

I agree. It's just a different world now.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/31/17 at 1:14 pm

After all, TRL's audience in the late 90s and early 00s

TRL did not have much significance in the late '90s.... The only year it was popular was 1999. It was a 2000s show, not a late '90s show.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/17 at 1:27 pm

I just think they're doing it because they are trying to find any way they can to gain traction in today's media landscape. If you think about it, channels like MTV still haven't recovered from the YouTube revolution of 2006 and 2007. They are still trying to find relevancy in a world where kids no longer have to sit around watching TV to be able to see the music videos that they want to. They've tried basically eliminating music videos from their lineup and going all in with these stupid teen shows, but that hasn't worked either. I'm pretty sure they're just bringing back TRL at this point for the reason you said, a sad attempt to get older Gen Yers in their late 20s and early 30s that grew up watching TRL to tune back in to the network.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/31/17 at 1:36 pm

I just think they're doing it because they are trying to find any way they can to gain traction in today's media landscape. If you think about it, channels like MTV still haven't recovered from the YouTube revolution of 2006 and 2007. They are still trying to find relevancy in a world where kids no longer have to sit around watching TV to be able to see the music videos that they want to. They've tried basically eliminating music videos from their lineup and going all in with these stupid teen shows, but that hasn't worked either. I'm pretty sure they're just bringing back TRL at this point for the reason you said, a sad attempt to get older Gen Yers in their late 20s and early 30s that grew up watching TRL to tune back in to the network.

I agree with this, and its kind of sad because its a sign of the downfall of the network.  If they can't stay relevant with teenagers (which have always been their target audience) and have to target older Gen Yers, then they are truly on their way out.  I say this as somebody who has fond memories of TRL back in the day.

Today, I think sites like Buzzfeed and various other YouTube channels fill the niche that MTV used to fill and are far more relevant to teenagers.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/17 at 1:43 pm

I'm curious. I have a sinister desire to see it fail. But then there's a part of me that wants it to take off and do good.  8)

Written By: John Titor on 05/31/17 at 2:42 pm

I'm curious. I have a sinister desire to see it fail. But then there's a part of me that wants it to take off and do good.  8)

my friends Sister actually went to a test taping the other day she said it was full of 16-18 year olds
mtv was casting audience members on the street yesterday
https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/d156QhPCl.png

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/17 at 2:49 pm

my friends Sister actually went to a test taping the other day she said it was full of 16-18 year olds

Oh yeah, they're going to need young teenagers that look 'cool' to sit and cheer for the artists! It makes sense. I remember there were always young teenagers cheering the artists. But I bet it's organic excitement too, otherwise, why audition? You get to be on TV and you get to meet famous people.  8)  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 2:50 pm

That's cool. Do you live in NYC?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/17 at 2:55 pm

I can't wait to see these 'edgy' teenagers in their fashionable clothes!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/31/17 at 3:53 pm

The new TRL will not be at all similar to the old one. It will be completely different like all other reboots in order to stay relevant to the times.

Written By: John Titor on 05/31/17 at 5:10 pm

That's cool. Do you live in NYC?

I do! super close

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 5:12 pm

I do! super close

super close as in......Jersey, Long Island, Westchester?

I live in NYC :D.

Written By: John Titor on 05/31/17 at 8:49 pm

super close as in......Jersey, Long Island, Westchester?

I live in NYC :D.

The village ;p

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/17 at 9:23 pm

The village ;p

Oh OK ;D.

Written By: John Titor on 06/01/17 at 10:21 am

Oh OK ;D.

East Village to be correct

Written By: Bab2781 on 06/02/17 at 12:47 pm

To be honest they should've never canceled this show to begin with. Yeah I understand music had changed. But pop music a year later started to take over the airwaves again.  A batch of new popstars were making their presence felt. Yeah it would've been nice to see the Adeles,Mars,Drakes & Biebers take over TRL. Just like the popstars a decade before them.

Written By: John Titor on 06/02/17 at 1:56 pm

To be honest they should've never canceled this show to begin with. Yeah I understand music had changed. But pop music a year later started to take over the airwaves again.  A batch of new popstars were making their presence felt. Yeah it would've been nice to see the Gagas,Mars,Swifts,Perrys & Biebers take over TRL. Just like the popstars a decade before them.

Gaga and KAty perry did take over TRL
OL7i2Wkl07Y

bOSpReXzQME

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/17 at 2:38 pm

Gaga and KAty perry did take over TRL
OL7i2Wkl07Y

bOSpReXzQME

And Katy Perry too
x8tK-hduCT4

Written By: John Titor on 06/13/17 at 1:56 pm

Show has been delayed......... sigh

Written By: Slim95 on 06/16/17 at 12:07 am

Show has been delayed......... sigh

Until when?

Subject: MTV LIVE (aka TRL) returns July 14th

Written By: John Titor on 06/16/17 at 11:26 am

Until when?

july I think, its def happening tho

Written By: John Titor on 06/29/17 at 5:45 pm

Until when?

more hosts are being auditioned as we speak according to IHeart,
expect it to pop up soon

cZ8CbpBQU6E

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/29/17 at 5:52 pm

Maybe they're just waiting for the actual shift in pop culture to commence.

Written By: John Titor on 06/29/17 at 5:59 pm

Maybe they're just waiting for the actual shift in pop culture to commence.

Its going to debut next month or August, There are already casting extra e-mails being sent out, that and the new TRL studio
has been updated (as I posted in the pics )so I am almost 100% sure its coming in the next few weeks

I understand why MTV won't let Carson re host it tho. The TRL studio looks really bad in HD televisions, I can see why the renovated it.
Here is pics of a one off TRL episode from 2016.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/MTV+Total+Registration+Live+M_hEpGU12QJl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/MTV+Total+Registration+Live+MaJ3ZYmStVIl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/MTV+Total+Registration+Live+KCXjXtB7Rfll.jpg

As you can see it really does not really pop out in HD, the stalling is prob a combination of working on the studio and
finding a better host.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/29/17 at 6:19 pm

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/MTV+Total+Registration+Live+M_hEpGU12QJl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/MTV+Total+Registration+Live+MaJ3ZYmStVIl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/MTV+Total+Registration+Live+KCXjXtB7Rfll.jpg

As you can see it really does not really pop out in HD, the stalling is prob a combination of working on the studio and
finding a better host.

Is that the same set they used from 2008 and prior? You're right it is probably a good idea to renovate it at this point.

Written By: John Titor on 06/29/17 at 6:28 pm

Is that the same set they used from 2008 and prior? You're right it is probably a good idea to renovate it at this point.

Its the same exact parts they used for the 2003 set and the 2006-2008 set, it looked VERY oudated in HD

Subject: MTV LIVE (aka TRL) returns July 14th

Written By: John Titor on 07/14/17 at 8:32 pm

It is back, the show is formatted in between commercial breaks from 4pm-6pm eastern.

qLnhgLk2IFE&t=11s

Written By: Slim95 on 08/13/17 at 1:01 am

Interesting points made here and I agree with them.

8qUckhWFJ0s

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/17 at 4:43 pm

There's no big star like Britney nowadays. Okay, maybe Taylor Swift and Adele. But not many!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/14/17 at 5:46 pm

There's no big star like Britney nowadays. Okay, maybe Taylor Swift and Adele. But not many!

Yup Britney Spears was the last one and Lady Gaga came close. This is probably because TV presence isn't important anymore. It's hard to get to the fame that Britney Spears had these days with everyone using so many different and diverse platforms to get their dose of entertainment.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/14/17 at 5:50 pm

Yup Britney Spears was the last one and Lady Gaga came close. This is probably because TV presence isn't important anymore. It's hard to get to the fame that Britney Spears had these days with everyone using so many different and diverse platforms to get their dose of entertainment.

That's it. The original TRL was a product of it's time and it will be very hard to recapture that "lightning in a bottle". We are just simply in a different world now.

Check for new replies or respond here...