inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Could Kendrick Lamar revive hip-hop back to its glory days?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/19/17 at 8:23 pm

With his latest song DNA, he totally KILLED IT and he just had an HUMBLE song that just came out a few weeks ago. This is what we call REAL hip hop, not all the trap rap crap we've been tired of hearing dominate the mainstream over the last several years. If the majority of hip hop songs over the next several months start sounding similar to this, then say goodbye to trap rap soon  :)

NLZRYQMLDW4

tvTRZJ-4EyI

We also have J Cole who's had a couple of good songs lately, but I wish he was a lot more popular.

-5slZHLSnow

wvFDXV0VBg4

Subject: Re: Could Kendrick Lamar revive hip-hop back to its glory days?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 8:29 pm

I do think that "Humble" is a good song. I appreciate what Kendrick is doing and his music but I don't see any inclination that because of him....Hip-Hop/Rap will enter another "Golden Age". Kendrick Lamar is just one rapper.....you need more rappers with good to great songs in order to change the rap industry currently.

Written By: 2001 on 04/19/17 at 8:32 pm

He's definitely a lot more popular than ever before. I think he'll have a lot of late 2010s impact. Talent always wins!  8)

I like Humble. Just listened to DNA now. 2017 keeps delivering.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 8:39 pm

He's definitely a lot more popular than ever before. I think he'll have a lot of late 2010s impact. Talent always wins!  8)

I like Humble. Just listened to DNA now. 2017 keeps delivering.

I agree. I also just listened to DNA and it's a good song. I'm pretty happy to hear actually good rap songs. Good job KL!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 9:55 pm

Marquis, I just want to know if you're this YouTuber I saw comment on the Kendrick Lamar video "DNA".

Are you "TWO96"? Falcons profile pic, talking about how you hate mumble rap and talking about the topic of this thread. Also, the "96" at the end of the username.

I'm like 99% sure it's you ;D.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/19/17 at 10:50 pm

Marquis, I just want to know if you're this YouTuber I saw comment on the Kendrick Lamar video "DNA".

Are you "TWO96"? Falcons profile pic, talking about how you hate mumble rap and talking about the topic of this thread. Also, the "96" at the end of the username.

I'm like 99% sure it's you ;D.

Yeah that is me. I'm okay with it  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 10:56 pm

He probably could. I have heard of humble, and it's awesome and catchy at the same time. I really hope trap declines soon. It's been overplayed too much, and most of the songs are bland.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/19/17 at 11:02 pm

Yeah I've heard both 'Humble' and 'DNA' and they're both fire AF! I've been a big fan of Kendrick Lamar since his album To Pimp a Butterfly so I'm really looking forward to Kendrick Lamar's continuing career. I'm most likely going to purchase his new one Damn!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/19/17 at 11:13 pm

He could go 10 million+ like Adele his next album, all he needs is a spark! I wouldn't be surprised if he's our next musical savior.  8)  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 11:36 pm

Yeah that is me. I'm okay with it  ;D

;D OK, I just wanted to be sure.

He probably could. I have heard of humble, and it's awesome and catchy at the same time. I really hope trap declines soon. It's been overplayed too much, and most of the songs are bland.

Yes, we all hate "mumble" rap bro.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/19/17 at 11:45 pm

Kendrick Lamar is definitely in his peak. I'm kind of a fan now. Yeah. He can't bring Hip Hop into a golden age alone. Its going to take at least 3 more rappers that's with his rank.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/19/17 at 11:47 pm

Kendrick Lamar is definitely in his peak. I'm kind of a fan now. Yeah. He can't bring Hip Hop into a golden age alone. Its going to take at least 3 more rappers that's with his rank.

Exactly what I said earlier.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/20/17 at 10:01 am

Young Thug, Fetty Wap, Desiigner, and Migos are some of the horrible artists who are responsible for the bad trap rap and the mumbling in a lot of songs. Half of Future's songs are OKAY though.

ZY_AZfec82Y

g0OdmRtuQew

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 10:05 am

Young Thug, Fetty Wap, Desiigner, and Migos are some of the horrible artists who are responsible for the bad trap rap and the mumbling in a lot of songs. Half of Future's songs are OKAY though.

ZY_AZfec82Y

g0OdmRtuQew

Very true. Also BTW, Crank Lucas is the best ;D.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/20/17 at 10:05 am

Depends on which glory days of hip-hop you're talking about. Are you talking more about the Golden Age of Hip-Hop(roughly 1984-1996/7), or the late 90s/early 2000s which weren't the golden age but still had some good stuff?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/20/17 at 10:25 am

Depends on which glory days of hip-hop you're talking about. Are you talking more about the Golden Age of Hip-Hop(roughly 1984-1996/7), or the late 90s/early 2000s which weren't the golden age but still had some good stuff?

Well if we're comparing this current trap rap era to any of those eras of hip-hop then ALL of it would be considered as its "glory days". Even 2009-2011 hip hop too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 10:32 am

Well if we're comparing this current trap rap era to any of those eras of hip-hop then ALL of it would be considered as its "glory days". Even 2009-2011 hip hop too.

;D ;D ;D True.....very true.

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/20/17 at 4:15 pm

Reminds me of this video:
iHy39Abhe0M

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/20/17 at 4:16 pm

Reminds me of this video:
iHy39Abhe0M

I actually just watched that video yesterday ;D.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/20/17 at 6:46 pm

LOL, so true! BTW what was your favorite era for Hip-Hop?

Written By: mqg96 on 04/20/17 at 7:10 pm

LOL, so true! BTW what was your favorite era for Hip-Hop?

Most hip hop songs from the late 90's through early 2010's (before trap became dominant in the mainstream). Which includes the snap/crunk rap era as well because I enjoyed it as a kid.

Drake, DJ Khaled, Young Jeezy, Ludacris, OutKast, Black Eyed Peas, 50 Cent, Eminem, Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa, Beyonce, Schoolboy Q, T.I., Usher, Rick Ross, T Pain, Soulja Boy, Flo Rida, B.o.B. Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz, etc. are many of my favorites.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/20/17 at 8:50 pm

Most hip hop songs from the late 90's through early 2010's (before trap became dominant in the mainstream). Which includes the snap/crunk rap era as well because I enjoyed it as a kid.

Drake, DJ Khaled, Young Jeezy, Ludacris, OutKast, Black Eyed Peas, 50 Cent, Eminem, Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa, Beyonce, Schoolboy Q, T.I., Usher, Rick Ross, T Pain, Soulja Boy, Flo Rida, B.o.B. Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz, etc. are many of my favorites.

I agree I loved the rap from the 2000's!

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/20/17 at 9:36 pm

I agree I loved the rap from the 2000's!

Even Late 2005-2008 rap(the "snap" years)? That's considered the "dark age" by many; in fact, those years were what inspired Nas to write his Hip Hop Is Dead album, lol.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/21/17 at 4:30 pm

Even Late 2005-2008 rap(the "snap" years)? That's considered the "dark age" by many; in fact, those years were what inspired Nas to write his Hip Hop Is Dead album, lol.

Good point. But in all honesty I'd take the crappy 2005-2008 era over the modern era of rap any day of the week. I agree though that rap was at its best during the 80's/90's golden age and the late 90's/early 00's silver age.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 4:34 pm

Good point. But in all honesty I'd take the crappy 2005-2008 era over the modern era of rap any day of the week. I agree though that rap was at its best during the 80's/90's golden age and the late 90's/early 00's silver age.

Same here....I agree.

Written By: J. Rob on 04/22/17 at 11:00 am

Funny how subjective music is  ;D

I'm 31.....my favorite era of Hip Hop was 1992 to 1996.

1997 to about 2000 was fine, not "golden", but very solid.

2000 to 2008 was terrible. There were some bright spots (Kanye, Em, Lupe, T.I., Game, Luda)....but the ringtone era of Soulja Boy, Mims, D4L, etc....was in my opinion, the worst music ever released by major labels.

2009 to 2013 was fine IMO....I was busy paying attention to rising underground stars (at the time) like Drake, Kendrick, Cole, Wiz, Wale, Big Sean, Charles Hamilton, B.o.B, Etc....then they actually become the mainstream stats (well, most of them)

2014 to 2016....trash....not quite as bad as the mid 2000s, but yeah....mumble rap sucks.

I really feel a genuine shift in the culture with this Kendrick album....similar to what 50 Cent did to bling bling/rap love song era.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 11:30 am

Funny how subjective music is  ;D

I'm 31.....my favorite era of Hip Hop was 1992 to 1996.

1997 to about 2000 was fine, not "golden", but very solid.

2000 to 2008 was terrible. There were some bright spots (Kanye, Em, Lupe, T.I., Game, Luda)....but the ringtone era of Soulja Boy, Mims, D4L, etc....was in my opinion, the worst music ever released by major labels.

2009 to 2013 was fine IMO....I was busy paying attention to rising underground stars (at the time) like Drake, Kendrick, Cole, Wiz, Wale, Big Sean, Charles Hamilton, B.o.B, Etc....then they actually become the mainstream stats (well, most of them)

2014 to 2016....trash....not quite as bad as the mid 2000s, but yeah....mumble rap sucks.

I really feel a genuine shift in the culture with this Kendrick album....similar to what 50 Cent did to bling bling/rap love song era.

I'm 17 (turning 18 in July) and my favorite era of Hip-Hop was from 1988-1996.

I also thought that rap from 1997-2000 was fine but not golden.

I like rap music from 2000-2008 (even some snap rap :-X)....but that's because I grew up listening to rap music from then.

I liked some rap songs from 2009-2014 (but overall....I'm wasn't a big fan of rap then).

I have disliked most rap songs that have been released since 2014 (I dislike trap rap/mumble rap).

Written By: mqg96 on 04/22/17 at 12:52 pm

I'm 17 (turning 18 in July) and my favorite era of Hip-Hop was from 1988-1996.

I also thought that rap from 1997-2000 was fine but not golden.

I like rap music from 2000-2008 (even some snap rap :-X)....but that's because I grew up listening to rap music from then.

I liked some rap songs from 2009-2014 (but overall....I'm wasn't a big fan of rap then).

The trap rap era didn't begin until the 2011-12 season/school year. However, trap rap started to really dominate the charts badly by 2015 once Fetty Wap's Trap Queen got really big. As I've stated many times not all forms of trap music are hip-hop, and I enjoy the non-hip hop trap elements in certain music a lot better.

2009-2011 was kind of a mini-Renaissance for hip-hop which was totally improved from the snap/crunk rap era.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 12:56 pm

The trap rap era didn't begin until the 2011-12 season/school year. However, trap rap started to really dominate the charts badly by 2015 once Fetty Wap's Trap Queen got really big. As I've stated many times not all forms of trap music are hip-hop, and I enjoy the non-hip hop trap elements in certain music a lot better.

2009-2011 was kind of a mini-Renaissance for hip-hop which was totally improved from the snap/crunk rap era.

I know. However, we all know the trap rap of recent it's what we're talking about....and it is mostly trash, IMO.

Rap songs from 2009-2011 were like 55% good, 45% bad, lol...IMO. I did like the early days of Drake, Wiz Khalifa, Lil Wayne, and Meek Mill, etc during that time.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/22/17 at 1:00 pm

I know. However, we all know the trap rap of recent it what we're talking about....and it is mostly trash, IMO.

Rap songs from 2009-2011 were like 55% good, 45% bad, lol...IMO. I did like the early days of Drake, Wiz Khalifa, Lil Wayne, and Meek Mill, etc during that time.

Artists like DJ Khaled, Roscoe Dash, Rihanna, T.I., Ludacris, Eminem, B.o.B., T-Pain, and Usher were great at the time too.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/22/17 at 1:01 pm

Artists like DJ Khaled, Roscoe Dash, Rihanna, T.I., Ludacris, Eminem, B.o.B., T-Pain, and Usher were great at the time too.
Are these two considered rappers? ??? I thought they were singers unless you're talking about urban music as a whole.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 1:04 pm

Yes, I agree.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/22/17 at 3:21 pm

I would say my favorite years for hip-hop were between 1999 and 2012. In 2013, trap took over completely and I haven't liked it as well since. There was a slight uptick in 2015 but it didn't last.

Hopefully Kendrick Lamar's new album is as instrumental as some people think it will be.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/17 at 3:58 pm

I think he needs to stay away from Khloe Kardashian and the rest of the Kardashians so that he can focus on his career.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/17 at 4:17 pm

I think he needs to stay away from Khloe Kardashian and the rest of the Kardashians so that he can focus on his career.

I agree. Everyone they touch, their career went south! Look at Kanye Pest! The Kardashians are a curse.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/22/17 at 4:56 pm

DNA is bumpin! :) :) ;D

I agree. Everyone they touch, their career went south! Look at Kanye Pest! The Kardashians are a curse.
Not gonna lie. Back when the Kardashians/Jenners were relatively new, they were all beautiful. Today, only Kendall and Kourtney are gorgeous. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 4:59 pm

DNA is bumpin! :) :) ;D

Not gonna lie. Back when the Kardashians/Jenners were relatively new, they were all beautiful. Today, only Kendall and Kourtney are gorgeous.

I agree with you (the parts in bold).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/22/17 at 5:02 pm

I agree with you (the parts in bold).
Man, I hope Kendrick and others definitely revive hip-hop to where it's listenable. Trap rap is not the business.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 5:06 pm

Man, I hope Kendrick and others definitely revive hip-hop to where it's listenable. Trap rap is not the business.

Agreed 100%.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/22/17 at 5:07 pm

Oh, and hey has anyone heard these songs yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoO6qQKCsA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-We6IWxw7Nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2saJ_0SbD8

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/22/17 at 10:04 pm

Oh, and hey has anyone heard these songs yet?

I'm happy for J Cole's lyrical ability but I can't take his flow. His voice is loud to me.

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/25/17 at 2:46 pm

No. He simply isn't as skilled as Lupe Fiasco was in the late 00s.

The Trap /melodic era of the 2010s has probably been the darkest era for rap while the 90s and 00s were the brightest. Gangsta rap in the 90s and Alternative rap in the mid to late 00's brought though provoking lyricism to the mainstream. Even crunk brought unique & inventative beats.

Modern Trap has just been recycling the same beats over and over. And "artists" like Lil Yachty make me question the current state of the music industry:
9-SpLLfIcm8

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 5:58 pm

What do y'all think of this brand new rap song (released yesterday - April 25, 2017)? It's definitely NOT trap rap which is good but I think this song is about a 6 out of 10....so pretty average.

v4R7Q9SAcvM

It's seems to have been inspired by 1980s and maybe even early 1990s hip hop....once again, what do y'all think?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 10:04 pm

What do y'all think of this brand new rap song (released yesterday - April 25, 2017)? It's definitely NOT trap rap which is good but I think this song is about a 6 out of 10....so pretty average.

v4R7Q9SAcvM

It's seems to have been inspired by 1980s and maybe even early 1990s hip hop....once again, what do y'all think?
I've been meaning to listen it, and I give it a thumbs up! :). It's bumpin' ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 10:41 pm

Damn, this song is getting real. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjor2U7Zk7Y

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/28/17 at 10:46 pm

I've been meaning to listen it, and I give it a thumbs up! :). It's bumpin' ;D

OK, fair enough :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 10:51 pm

OK, fair enough :).
Have you heard Fear by Kendrick?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/28/17 at 10:52 pm

Have you heard Fear by Kendrick?

No.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 10:53 pm

No.
It's being real.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/28/17 at 10:55 pm

It's being real.

I'll listen to it later.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 5:03 pm

I'll listen to it later.
Did you listen to the song?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 5:20 pm

Did you listen to the song?

No, I can't find it anywhere on YouTube :(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 5:35 pm

No, I can't find it anywhere on YouTube :(.
I know. I f*ckin hate those copyrights! >:(

What you can do tho is type in Kendrick Fear mp3. That's what I did. :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 5:50 pm

I know. I f*ckin hate those copyrights! >:(

What you can do tho is type in Kendrick Fear mp3. That's what I did. :)

I just listened to it. I like it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 5:52 pm

I just listened to it. I like it.
Yeah, I'm listening to it right now, and it's getting real! ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, I'm listening to it right now, and it's getting real! ;D

I FEAR. that Kendrick Lamar's songs are going to become injected into your DNA. So, you better stay HUMBLE. ;) ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:15 pm

I FEAR. that Kendrick Lamar's songs are going to become injected into your DNA. So, you better stay HUMBLE. ;) ;D
Nice one! :) ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 6:21 pm

Nice one! :) ;D

Thanks....I like to be punny ;D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:23 pm

Thanks....I like to be punny ;D.
You're welcome. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/22/17 at 11:00 pm

Any you guys seen this?

kh8j5RnTNtw

Must admit, it seems like the video creator deliberately chose the worst songs from 2007-2017 to make those years look bad.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/22/17 at 11:05 pm

Any you guys seen this?

kh8j5RnTNtw

Must admit, it seems like the video creator deliberately chose the worst songs from 2007-2017 to make those years look bad.

I've seen that video and I agree with your point.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/22/17 at 11:06 pm

Maybe HipWiki is another believer in the late 2006 shift (T.I.'s "What You Know", the song he chose to rep 2006, is from early 2006).

Just kidding. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/22/17 at 11:11 pm

Maybe HipWiki is another believer in the late 2006 shift (T.I.'s "What You Know", the song he chose to rep 2006, is from early 2006).

Just kidding. ;D

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/305/its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/23/17 at 3:33 am

Also, anyone else want to rip their ears out after hearing the song Stanky Leg?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 11:11 am

:(

Not me but it's not the greatest rap song.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/23/17 at 11:37 am

It made lack creativity but the song is really carefree that can give it an advantage.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 11:41 am

It made lack creativity but the song is really carefree that can give it an advantage.

Yeah, I agree.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/23/17 at 12:35 pm

That song takes me back to my middle school days! Everybody loved it at the time! There's a lot of terrible hip-hop songs out there we used to love when we were preteens or young teenagers. I would have probably been more addicted to trap music had I still been at that age.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/25/17 at 9:04 pm

Any you guys seen this?

kh8j5RnTNtw

That's a bad video. The uploader completely ignores Billboard charts and sales when selecting songs from 2007-2017. Some of those songs from the late 00s I've literally never even heard of until now. Interesting.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/25/17 at 10:19 pm

Any you guys seen this?

kh8j5RnTNtw

They did a decent job showing how 80's rap went from rhyming over disco to having actual hip hop beats in 1983 (only problem is for 1986 with Push It, they didn't even showcase the rapping, just the instrumental hook).

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/05/17 at 9:30 pm

Jay Z looks to be contributing with his story of OJ hit.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/17 at 9:40 pm

I'm no expert in music, but Kendrick Lamar's Humble reminds me of music from 1998!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 9:44 pm

I'm no expert in music, but Kendrick Lamar's Humble reminds me of music from 1998!  8)  8)  8)

How so?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/17 at 9:50 pm

How so?

I actually liked some rap and hip hop songs from the 1980's and 1990's. Even early 00's.
His rap is good, and doesn't just talk about sex and drugs, etc, etc, etc.
Reminds me of music from the 1990's!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 9:56 pm

I actually liked some rap and hip hop songs from the 1980's and 1990's. Even early 00's.
His rap is good, and doesn't just talk about sex and drugs, etc, etc, etc.
Reminds me of music from the 1990's!

Oh OK....I thought that you meant stylistically his songs sound like they are from 1998.

Check for new replies or respond here...