inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2015

Written By: Slim95 on 04/20/17 at 11:40 pm

I know it was only two years ago, but I must say 2015 is one of my favourite years of the 2010s. It is actually my second favourite after 2013. A lot has happened this year in pop culture and I can see myself looking back and getting nostalgic for 2015 in the future. Here are a couple of significant events and a few of my favourite things that came out in 2015. We can go back to this thread in the future if people want to look back at this year.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZXsQAXx_ao0/maxresdefault.jpg

https://smallbiztrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/periscope2-850x476.jpg

qlOTNtUvhe8

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nT9Drje0Fwc/maxresdefault.jpg
https://secure.netflix.com/us/boxshots/ghd/80058070.jpg
http://kwtv.images.worldnow.com/images/8078368_G.jpg
https://dri1.img.digitalrivercontent.net/Storefront/Company/msintl/images/English/en-INTL-Windows-10-Home-KW9-00265/en-INTL-L-Windows-10-Home-KW9-00265-RM1-mnco.jpg
OPf0YbXqDm0

Subject: Re: 2015

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/21/17 at 12:05 am

2015 was a warm-up for the storm of 2016.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/21/17 at 3:24 am

The year 2015 will go down as the quintessential 2010s year bar none. Although I think the 10s have been a fairly homogenous decade thus far, I do think that 2014-15 is already beginning to feel a little old.

Written By: Encoder319 on 04/21/17 at 3:25 am

Yet another example of the '6' year being a transitional one! ;D

I'm absolutely terrified about what the late 10s and early 20s will have in store for us.

Written By: the2001 on 04/21/17 at 7:12 am

The year 2015 will go down as the quintessential 2010s year bar none. Although I think the 10s have been a fairly homogenous decade thus far, I do think that 2014-15 is already beginning to feel a little old.

2015 was BORRRRRINGGGGGGG

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/21/17 at 8:02 am

I still don't understand how that Shia Labeouf video became popular. He says "just do it", the slogan for Nike. Where's the appeal in that?

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/17 at 8:06 am

It's not as great as 2010-2014 but I still love that year.  8)

In the summer I went full hipster and grew a beard and got a pompadour, and I bought a lot of plaid shirts LOL. It was the best.

Also, Hotline Bling is a HOT track.  :o

And when the gay marriage ruling came down, I changed my main in Smash Bros. from Black Yoshi to Pink Yoshi. It was the gayest thing ever. :-X

Oh, and that 2015 election... okay, it was miserable as f*ck. Campaigning in the summer should be a capital offence. But the end result was great!  Trudeau is bae.  8)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/21/17 at 8:53 am

I was 16 in 2015. In retrospect, 2015 wasn't too bad for me personally. My mental space (which admittedly, wasn't too good at the time and it hasn't been throughout most of my teenage years) and my dislike for the popular culture at the time creates the perception that it was a worse year than it actually was. Although, all things considered, it wasn't as bad as what I perceive it as being. I started driving on the 12th May 2015, as I successfully passed my Learners test. I could have went for my L's on my 16th birthday, but the one thing that put me off from getting them any sooner, was the fear of stuffing up my signature (which I had yet to decide on at the time) and not being able to change it. Generally speaking, I have a bit of a phobia of permanency, so I didn't like the thought of coming up with a signature and ultimately realising that it didn't turn out how I wanted it to.

In regards to the pop culture of 2015, I hated every aspect of it. My Visual Design class really exasperated the issue, because most of the class were girls and they were right into the pop culture. Our teacher would let us play songs on YouTube (on the interactive whiteboard) whilst we did our work in class, but they always had the extra advantage of playing songs that they like. One girl in particular loved (and still does) Ed Sheeran's songs. She would play "Thinking Out Loud" almost every lesson, which used to annoy the hell out of me. They also played "Downtown", "Love Me Like You Do", "Stay With Me", "Cheerleader", "See You Again", "How Deep Is Your Love" and "Uptown Funk" to death as well!  8-P  I hardly ever got the chance to play any songs that I like, because the girls would always beat me to it and to be honest, a lot of the songs I like have swearing in them, so I wasn't allowed to play any of them. Although, I do remember the first time that I played a song in class. I put on "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park. My teacher's reaction to hearing it was priceless! She couldn't believe that I would play (or even like) a song such as "One Step Closer". :P

There was no relief from the music at the time. You'd hear kids playing some songs on their phones during break, the school would play them through speakers during cross-country and swimming carnivals, TV stations would use them for promos and advertisements; it was awful! We didn't have Pay-TV at the time and I had to rely on a music program on a local free-to-air station to fill my music listening needs. :P I can remember staying up to 1:30-2am in the morning watching this program, just in the hope that one or two decent songs might be played. I'm a night owl, but I was often too tired to play my PS3 or do anything worthwhile, so I often listened to the Top-40 crap of the time.

In the grand scheme of things, 2015 was a pretty dark and pessimistic year. IS were (and unfortunately, still are) an ever growing threat and the increase in terrorist attacks became an increasing concern for everyone. The fact that a terrorist attack could occur at any time and anywhere was the biggest worry. I was worried that the IS terrorist attacks were leading up to something of greater concern, possibly even an attack in the scale of 9/11 or a World War III of sorts. Thankfully, an attack on that scale hasn't come to fruition, but it's still a concern even to this day. I mean, there was an IS-inspired attack in France this morning. I don't think the fear of terrorism is as high as it was back in 2015, but it's still something that we shouldn't write off.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/21/17 at 8:57 am

2015 was the quintessential mid-2010s year and symbolized everything wrong with the decade so far. 
Mass shootings, political and racial tension, the peak of "bro-country" (everyone wanted to be a redneck and fly confederate flags), hipster fashion, EDM, the rise of trap rap, etc.
2017 is proving to be a much better year so far in terms of both pop culture and atmosphere, though nowhere near greatness just yet. Give it a few years and maybe the 2020s will have some exciting elements in store.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/21/17 at 10:03 am

Although, I do remember the first time that I played a song in class. I put on "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park. My teacher's reaction to hearing it was priceless! She couldn't believe that I would play (or even like) a song such as "One Step Closer". :P

And the class was probably even more shocked when they found out that Linkin Park used to sound like that. ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/21/17 at 10:42 am

And the class was probably even more shocked when they found out that Linkin Park used to sound like that. ;D

They sure were.  :P I think the Y2K look and feel of the song shocked them as well!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/21/17 at 10:51 am

They sure were.  :P I think the Y2K look and feel of the song shocked them as well!

Yeah, the music video for "One Step Closer" is by FAR Linkin Park's most Y2K "feeling" video. You've got everything from spiky hair, to green fog, to those weird monk looking things doing karate. The whole thing is like some bizarre episode of Dragon Ball Z. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 11:11 am

I still don't understand how that Shia Labeouf video became popular. He says "just do it", the slogan for Nike. Where's the appeal in that?

It was pretty funny. Him screaming in the camera was hilarious and strangely motivating lol

Oh, and that 2015 election... okay, it was miserable as f*ck. Campaigning in the summer should be a capital offence. But the end result was great!  Trudeau is bae.  8)

Yeah that election also made an impact. The fact that NDP was leading in the polls at one point was amazing. And people were actually taking the party seriously as an alternative to Harper. Also NDP winning in Alberta earlier in the year was another miracle and awesome thing as well. These stuff mixed with my personal life and starting university all gave me a positive perception of 2015.

2015 was BORRRRRINGGGGGGG

No it wasn't. Even more stuff happened than what I posted. It was a fun year!

Written By: #Infinity on 04/21/17 at 11:12 am

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nT9Drje0Fwc/maxresdefault.jpg

Pretty much the only truly special thing about this year. It was also a fairly decent year for movies, but other than that, 2015 was a pretty lousy year for popular culture that only looks good when you contrast it to how awful 2016 and 2017 so far have been for media and world events.

http://kwtv.images.worldnow.com/images/8078368_G.jpg

Really? This is reason to get nostalgic about 2015?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 11:19 am

but other than that, 2015 was a pretty lousy year for popular culture that only looks good when you contrast it to how awful 2016 and 2017 so far have been for media and world events.

What pop culture is like is very subjective and opinion based though. I do think it's too early. In the future, even people who hated the year may get some nostalgia for it and the pop culture.

It was a significant event. Nobody thought he had a chance of winning in 2015 and everyone thought it was a joke.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 11:22 am

Another popular song I enjoyed from 2015  :)
kt0g4dWxEBo 

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 11:34 am

Also in terms of technology, I remember budget smartphones exploded with popularity this year. And this was the first year the budget smartphones were actually good and performed very well. Like I mentioned before, the release of Windows 10 and Periscope/Meerkat was significant (these paved the way for Facebook live, and significantly changed live streaming and I use Periscope).

Written By: bchris02 on 04/21/17 at 11:46 am

I remember 2015 for two things.

-The gay marriage decision and the downright hysteria that occurred afterwards.  I was starting to come out of my depression in the summer 2015 and the SCOTUS decision reaction sent me right back into it.  July 2015 wasn't a good time in my life.

-The improvement in music.  The music of 2015 was a nice step up from 2013 and 2014 (though still not as good as the early '10s).  So far, I think 2015 was the best year for music of the "teen" years.

Written By: the2001 on 04/21/17 at 11:55 am

2015 was the dryest year thus far of the 2010s

Written By: #Infinity on 04/21/17 at 1:14 pm

What pop culture is like is very subjective and opinion based though. I do think it's too early. In the future, even people who hated the year may get some nostalgia for it and the pop culture.

I can see myself becoming nostalgic about Carol, Inside Out, Straight Outta Compton the movie, Obama still being President of the United States, and Back to the Future Day, but hardly anything else. Time has certainly not made me nostalgic for all the really mediocre hip hop from the early-mid-2000s or a majority of people still opposing gay marriage. Far and large, 2015 is still one of the weakest years for popular culture I've experienced, not to mention my personal life mostly sucked that year, as well.

It was a significant event. Nobody thought he had a chance of winning in 2015 and everyone thought it was a joke.

Yeah, but why would you reminisce about Donald Trump announcing his candidacy? If you're already nostalgic about a mere 2 years ago, chances are you'd be directly upset at this event because it was the beginning of the wreck of a presidential administration we have now.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 1:30 pm

Went on a road trip to Minnesota that summer.

Had a horrible verbal fight with some people. I mean, it got really ugly.

Started reading more. Brave New World is a great book!

Pop culturally, I don't remember anything, LOL.

Donald Dork Trump announced he was running for presidency.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 1:33 pm

Oh yeah, and the gay marriage announcement was AWESOME!!! Pure bliss!  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 1:36 pm

^ ^

This.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 1:50 pm

2015 was an average year for me. I turned 16 that year.

The PROS of 2015 for me:

1. I got to visit Boston and Six Flags New England which were BOTH awesome 8)
2. I was in 10th grade at the beginning of the year and 11th grade at the end of it.
3. Seeing Stars Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters.
4. Some songs like "Uptown Funk" and "See You Again" (though it did get annoying how overplayed it was), "Thinking Out Loud", etc.
5. Back to the Future Day
6. Getting Windows 10 for free
7. Watching Straight Outta Compton in theaters.
8. Former President Obama still being the Commander-in-Chief.
9. Watching the 2015 Women's World Cup in which the USA Women's Soccer Team got redemption against Japan and won their 1st title since the 1999 Women's World Cup (the 1999 Women's World Cup ended on July 10, 1999...3 days BEFORE my birth).

The CONS of 2015 for me:

1. Turning 16 was bland.
2. Donald Trump announcing his candidacy for President
3. The NY Mets losing the 2015 World Series to the Kansas City Royals. I'm a NY Yankees fan but I wanted the Mets to win but they really choked in that series.
4. The New England Patriots winning Super Bowl XLIX against the Seattle Seahawks....the Seahawks should have WON that SB...I'm still pissed 2 years later (especially with what happened in Super Bowl LI earlier this year) >:( ;D. The only consolation is that I'm a NY Giants fan and we beat the Patriots TWICE in the Super Bowl 8).
5. Summer Reading assignment I got for school.
6. Prepping for the SAT
7. The Chicago Blackhawks winning the 2015 Stanley Cup Finals defeating the Tampa Bay Lightning...what a boring SCF >:(.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/17 at 2:21 pm

2015 was the dryest year thus far of the 2010s

Early 2015 I remember being very cold. February 2015 is the coldest month on record in Toronto. The temperature didn't hit above freezing for almost 40 days and there were multiple blizzards and polar vortexes (vorteces?). It was miserable.  :\'(

But yeah, towards the end of the year we got El Nino and it was very warm. I think California had a drought, and many parts of Africa and South Asia didn't get rain either. That's why there are so many famines there this year.  :-\\

I can see myself becoming nostalgic about Carol, Inside Out, Straight Outta Compton the movie, Obama still being President of the United States, and Back to the Future Day, but hardly anything else. Time has certainly not made me nostalgic for all the really mediocre hip hop from the early-mid-2000s or a majority of people still opposing gay marriage. Far and large, 2015 is still one of the weakest years for popular culture I've experienced, not to mention my personal life mostly sucked that year, as well.

Yeah, but why would you reminisce about Donald Trump announcing his candidacy? If you're already nostalgic about a mere 2 years ago, chances are you'd be directly upset at this event because it was the beginning of the wreck of a presidential administration we have now.

Not to mention Trump wasn't even the only slimeball politician of 2015. Remember Ted Cruz? Vomit.  8-P

Written By: #Infinity on 04/21/17 at 2:31 pm

Not to mention Trump wasn't even the only slimeball politician of 2015. Remember Ted Cruz? Vomit.  8-P

Ugh, I sure do. For a while, I was actually more afraid of Cruz than Trump because the former is a hardcore religious fundamentalist who would have actively campaigned to block same-sex marriage rather than considered it a "settled" issue. I think I've sinced eased off my apprehension towards Cruz because he opposed Trump's candidacy during the election season and has since been overshadowed by Mike Pence as the Christian Right homophobe with an unfortunate level of power and popularity.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 2:34 pm

Ugh, I sure do. For a while, I was actually more afraid of Cruz than Trump because the former is a hardcore religious fundamentalist who would have actively campaigned to block same-sex marriage rather than considered it a "settled" issue. I think I've sinced eased off my apprehension towards Cruz because he opposed Trump's candidacy during the election season and has since been overshadowed by Mike Pence as the Christian Right homophobe with an unfortunate level of power and popularity.

I feel betrayed by Ted Cruz...even though I'm not a conservative.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/21/17 at 2:50 pm

In the middle of the year nobody thought Trump would win, but toward the end of 2015 I remember him having a sudden spike in supporters. The "alt right" also began gestating in 2015 although they weren't yet a full-blown force to be reckoned with.

I've always felt like 2016 is the steroid-pumped version of 2015. Everything about 2015 was taken to a whole new level in 2016.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/21/17 at 3:10 pm

Oh yeah, and the gay marriage announcement was AWESOME!!! Pure bliss!  8)

Yeah, for most people in the LGBT community it was a time to celebrate.  If you are a closeted gay man living in the Bible Belt, it was a rough time to get through because that's all people were talking about and they were hysterical.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 3:14 pm

Yeah, for most people in the LGBT community it was a time to celebrate.  If you are a closeted gay man living in the Bible Belt, it was a rough time to get through because that's all people were talking about and they were hysterical.

Well since I'm not gay and live in NYC....I didn't experience that. I just saw lots of celebrations by tons of people (obviously not everyone...but still a lot of people). What did some of the people around you say?

Written By: bchris02 on 04/21/17 at 3:19 pm

Well since I'm not gay and live in NYC....I didn't experience that. I just saw lots of celebrations by tons of people (obviously not everyone...but still a lot of people). What did some of the people around you say?

The usual stuff.  God was going to destroy America with a hailstorm of fire and brimstone and if he doesn't, he will need to apolgoize to Sodom and Gomorrah.  "The Supreme Court is not the Supreme Being" was a popular buzzphrase.  Also that Christians would be persecuted and arrested in the near future for not bowing to the gay gestapo.  People said they felt like they did on 9/11.  If you showed any sign of sympathy for the decision, people would condemn you to hell because you can't support the "gay agenda" and be a Christian. 

There was no celebrating where I live or if there was, it wasn't in the open.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 3:26 pm

The usual stuff.  God was going to destroy America with a hailstorm of fire and brimstone and if he doesn't, he will need to apolgoize to Sodom and Gomorrah.  "The Supreme Court is not the Supreme Being" was a popular buzzphrase.  Also that Christians would be persecuted and arrested in the near future for not bowing to the gay gestapo.  People said they felt like they did on 9/11.  If you showed any sign of sympathy for the decision, people would condemn you to hell because you can't support the "gay agenda" and be a Christian. 

Wow, I'm both laughing and slightly upset at the same time but you're right....I've heard those comments before (PRIMARILY online though).

I won't share my religious beliefs (because it's not relevant) but I don't see why people think that supporting gay marriage means that you support the "gay agenda" and that gay marriage is as bad as 9/11. That's COMPLETELY ridiculous.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/17 at 4:00 pm

Wow that's terrible,  that you had to hear that on such a festive and historic day :(

Not to minimize what you went through, but you should start a blog or a newsletter or something. This place seems very... fascinating to say the least. :o Many people think "homophobia is over" like racism ended in 1964 but it's far from the case. ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 4:05 pm

Oh, I'm sure not everybody was happy, especially gay bashers, like this woman.

https://davesdominion.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/roper.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 04/21/17 at 4:30 pm

Wow that's terrible,  that you had to hear that on such a festive and historic day :(

Not to minimize what you went through, but you should start a blog or a newsletter or something. This place seems very... fascinating to say the least. :o Many people think "homophobia is over" like racism ended in 1964 but it's far from the case. ::)

The fact that Chris feels he wouldn't be any worse living in the freaking 1950s, an era during which it wasn't even legal to be gay, is a jarring testament to how dour and broken down an environment the Bible Belt and parts of the Midwest still are. Reading here what he states is apparently standard consensus where he lives makes me feel absolutely mortified for him and anybody else who's queer and stuck in such a nightmarishy backwards part of the country.

Oh, I'm sure not everybody was happy, especially gay bashers, like this woman.

https://davesdominion.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/roper.jpg

Amish-bashers too, huh? I just can't believe these people and their troubled, bigoted, insecure minds. They clearly need help.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 4:49 pm

But I never said I reminisced about it.  ??? In my original post I said "Here are a couple of significant events and a few of my favourite things that came out in 2015." Meaning I posted both things I liked from 2015 and general significant events whether they were positive or negative that people will look back on in the future. Having said that, Trump running for presidency was not scary to anyone in 2015 (except for maybe near the end of 2015) because nobody thought he would win.

And when did I say I am already nostalgic for two years ago?  ??? Never once did I say that. I specifically said I will be in the future and I enjoyed the year 2015. I am not the type to get nostalgic over a year that only happened two years ago, never was. The last year I have some nostalgia for is 2013. But I still enjoyed the year.

That's fine, we all get nostalgic to different things. Even some of the bad music of the 2000s I look fondly back on. There was also the Zoey 101 reunion that happened in 2015 as well that was pretty cool.

Written By: the2001 on 04/21/17 at 4:58 pm

2014 > 2015

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 5:00 pm

Yeah for me people who do that aren't even real Christians and it's actual evil to abuse anyone like that. No matter what your views are, you should still treat people with respect even if you disagree with homosexuality or whatever. I'm not religious but didn't God say to always love your neighbour? Bashing gay people like that would be a sin and go against God I guess. My view is no matter what your views are, you should always respect the people around you.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 5:04 pm

I've always felt like 2016 is the steroid-pumped version of 2015. Everything about 2015 was taken to a whole new level in 2016.

Yeah I really hated the year 2016. I feel 2015 was much better in my opinion before everything went wrong. There was still a lot of violence but it wasn't as depressing as 2016 when you heard about a terrorist attack or celebrity death every month and this was mixed with horrible music and a joke of an election. 2015 had much better music in my opinion.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 5:07 pm

Yeah I really hated the year 2016. I feel 2015 was much better in my opinion before everything went wrong. There was still a lot of violence but it wasn't as depressing as 2016 when you heard about a terrorist attack or celebrity death every month and this was mixed with horrible music and a joke of an election. 2015 had better music in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. 2016 was much worse than 2015. Yes, there were a few good things that happened in 2016 in both the world and for me personally but overall 2016 was a bad year, IMO.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/21/17 at 5:08 pm

At least it wasn't 2014 nor 2016 to me, which had worse outcomes for me (aside from the IGN Boards freakout and a terrifying Skype call that I had in January that year).

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 04/21/17 at 5:57 pm

From what I noticed this is what I observed in comparing the mid 2010's years:

2014: Had the best pop culture hands down, and my personal life was the best hands down. Coming of age, graduating from high school, starting college, driving, going to the beach, parties, clubs, etc.... Damn thats a year I'll definitely be nostalgic towards

2015: Had the second best pop culture, but the worst hands down in my personal life. The year started out good with me being a freshman in college and having fun and such, but it sucked during the spring/summer time of that year. I lost a couple of close relatives and was going through a lot of financial struggles with myself and family that year. It at least ended off good with myself being able to hang out with more of my friends. Plus 2015 was the year I discovered this place, so it wasn't all bad. But it was definitely the most sucky out of the mid 10's...

2016: Had the worst with pop culture basically because mid 10's pop culture had started to become stale at this point, but this was the second best for my personal life. I started back college in the Winter/Spring 2016 semester, made some new friends, joined some new clubs, parties up during the summer, got a new car, among other things! 2016 was consistently a fun year for me, but obviously pop culture and current events were some of the worst (if not, the worst) of the 2010's thus far. Besides that though, I could see myself getting somewhat nostalgic of this year in the future.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/21/17 at 6:43 pm

Another popular song I enjoyed from 2015  :)
kt0g4dWxEBo 

I remember when that song was released. There were a bunch of dumb, mindless people who thought that Paul McCartney was a "new artist" and that this was the first song he was involved in...

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 6:47 pm

I remember when that song was released. There were a bunch of dumb, mindless people who thought that Paul McCartney was a "new artist" and that this was the first song he was involved in...

I remember that as well....I was both laughing at their stupidity and worrying about humanity.

Written By: wixness on 04/21/17 at 7:44 pm

People are gonna get nostalgic over the Nazi haircuts and the overall "classiness" of this decade, so there's no way in hell that I'm gonna be nostalgic for this decade.

Granted, 2015 was the first year I got to know PC gaming even though I had yet to own such a computer

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/21/17 at 7:48 pm

The fact that Chris feels he wouldn't be any worse living in the freaking 1950s, an era during which it wasn't even legal to be gay, is a jarring testament to how dour and broken down an environment the Bible Belt and parts of the Midwest still are. Reading here what he states is apparently standard consensus where he lives makes me feel absolutely mortified for him and anybody else who's queer and stuck in such a nightmarishy backwards part of the country.

Sadly, I know the world he's talking about all too well because I grew up in it. Southwest Georgia is a whole different ballgame than anything people living in places like New York City and Los Angeles could ever fathom. I lived in a county that had hundreds of churches despite having a population less than 14,000. When I was a kid, I knew people that were in the Ku Klux Klan during the civil rights era. I can totally understand why he feels the way he does.

Written By: wixness on 04/21/17 at 7:49 pm

As are gender roles. I thought that the 2010s would be the decade when it would start being put to rest, but nope, and now Trump's presidency is gonna reverse that.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 7:52 pm

Amish-bashers too, huh? I just can't believe these people and their troubled, bigoted, insecure minds. They clearly need help.

People like her were probably brainwashed since birth.  :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/21/17 at 8:18 pm

To be honest, I don't think it would be out of the question for me to one day feel nostalgic for songs released in 2015. Lately I have been feeling nostalgic for Late 2000s songs such as "Shut Up and Drive" by Rhianna, and I was never a fan of the song nor have I ever liked Rhianna's songs. I don't like the thought of one day feeling nostalgic for "Peanut Butter Jelly" and "Shut Up and Dance", but I suppose it's inevitable. :P

I remember that as well....I was both laughing at their stupidity and worrying about humanity.

My thoughts exactly! :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 8:22 pm

To be honest, I don't think it would be out of the question for me to one day feel nostalgic for songs released in 2015. Lately I have been feeling nostalgic for Late 2000s songs such as "Shut Up and Drive" by Rhianna, and I was never a fan of the song nor have I ever liked Rhianna's songs. I don't like the thought of one day feeling nostalgic for "Peanut Butter Jelly" and "Shut Up and Dance", but I suppose it's inevitable. :P

My thoughts exactly! :)

I feel like I'm already starting to be nostalgic for the late 2000s :(.

As for 2015, maybe I will become nostalgic for it in 10-20 years but as of right now.....NO.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/17 at 8:38 pm

2010's music is better to me than 2000's decade music.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 10:57 pm

As for 2015, maybe I will become nostalgic for it in 10-20 years but as of right now.....NO.

I'm not nostalgic for 2015 either and that really wasn't the point of the thread. But I definitely will be in a couple of years. Usually 8-10 years is when I get nostalgic for a year. Unless it's for personal life reasons which in that case can be as short as one year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/17 at 11:15 pm

I'm not nostalgic for 2015 either and that really wasn't the point of the thread. But I definitely will be in a couple of years. Usually 8-10 years is when I get nostalgic for a year. Unless it's for personal life reasons which in that case can be as short as one year.

Really? A year....that's unusual. People usually don't get nostalgic for a year unless it was at least 5 or more years in the past.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/21/17 at 11:36 pm

Really? A year....that's unusual. People usually don't get nostalgic for a year unless it was at least 5 or more years in the past.

That's not unusual. Pretend you go on an amazing trip to some place you really enjoy. Or pretend you you graduate from school or get some sort of personal accomplishment. It's not only normal to get nostalgic for these events within a year, but also within a few months. I am already nostalgic over my trip to Las Vegas last year and the time I spent with friends in spring of last year when we finished exams. This normal and usual for everyone.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/22/17 at 7:59 am

That is true. 2015 had a lot of social justice issues such as BLM (which actually began in 2013/14), and the Charleston church shooting which sparked the Confederate flag issue, and there was the rise of ISIS and events such as the Paris shootings and the 4 Marines killed in a recruiting station in Chattanooga. 2015 and 2016 also saw rising murder rates in most US cities, which were believed to be caused by the Ferguson Effect. In my life 2015 was a relatively quiet year. I got married that year and I didn't have any deaths in the family. But overall I didn't care for the entire 2013-2016 period. 2017 has turned out to be ok so far.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 10:38 am

That's not unusual. Pretend you go on an amazing trip to some place you really enjoy. Or pretend you you graduate from school or get some sort of personal accomplishment. It's not only normal to get nostalgic for these events within a year, but also within a few months. I am already nostalgic over my trip to Las Vegas last year and the time I spent with friends in spring of last year when we finished exams. This normal and usual for everyone.

Nah, it is weird.....and you should feel bad :).

Written By: bchris02 on 04/22/17 at 11:53 am

It depends on what you mean by nostalgic.

Within a few years, you can look back and miss certain things and feel an element of nostalgia.  I think when nostalgia really kicks in is when you get to a point where there are fewer connections in your present life to the past that you are nostalgic for.  I think that generally happens in 5-10 years.

One thing I want to say about this though is its important to keep nostalgia in its place.  It's beneficial to take a fond look back and also learn from past mistakes and successes, but trying to artificially recreate the past usually does not end well.  The past is a place we've all been but can never return and we are better off looking forward.  Had I have known this truth in 2012, my life would be very, very different now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 11:55 am

Within a few years, you can look back and miss certain things and feel an element of nostalgia.  I think when nostalgia really kicks in is when you get to a point where there are fewer connections in your present life to the past that you are nostalgic for.  I think that generally happens in 5-10 years.

One thing I want to say about this though is its important to keep nostalgia in its place.  It's beneficial to take a fond look back and also learn from past mistakes and successes, but trying to artificially recreate the past usually does not end well.  The past is a place we've all been but can never return and we are better off looking forward.  Had I have known this truth in 2012, my life would be very, very different now.

Yes, I agree with everything that you said.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 12:36 pm

Nah, it is weird.....and you should feel bad :).

No it isn't weird. It's actually weird if you don't get nostalgic for certain events in the last two years in your personal life. Nothing to feel bad about. The definition of nostalgia is remiscing about positive things in your life, no matter what year it's from. So it's absolutely normal to ger nostalgic for things even as little as a few months to a a year. It has nothing to do with pop culture and retro stuff. It's just a normal feeling everyone should have.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 12:38 pm

I think that generally happens in 5-10 years.

Not for your personal life and positive events... It could be weeks to get nostalgic and want to go back to a fun place and time. That's happened to me and that's normal for everyone.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 12:40 pm

No it isn't weird. It's actually weird if you don't get nostalgic for certain events in the last two years in your personal life. Nothing to feel bad about. The definition of nostalgia is remiscing about positive things in your life, no matter what year it's from. So it's absolutely normal to ger nostalgic for things even as little as a few months to a a year. It has nothing to do with pop culture and retro stuff. It's just a normal feeling everyone should have.

Well that's fair but I don't personally count nostalgia as being nostalgic for something that happened within 5 years. Too me...it has to be a good amount away from the present....according to your logic...I can be nostalgic for yesterday ::).

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 12:59 pm

Well that's fair but I don't personally count nostalgia as being nostalgic for something that happened within 5 years. Too me...it has to be a good amount away from the present....according to your logic...I can be nostalgic for yesterday ::).

Yes, you can get nostalgic for yesterday (if it's something in your personal life). Look up the definition of nostalgia man. Not sure why you're so weirded out by this. We're not talking about decadology here or pop culture in decades. We're simply talking about events you miss in your personal life. So not sure what problem you have with this... It's nothing weird or unusual, just accept it... You're the one who would be odd if you have zero nostalgia for some stuff that happened in your life in the past year.  Sorry but it's true.  ::)

And my examples of a fun trip or fun time with friends didn't get through to you?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 1:03 pm

Yes, you can get nostalgic for yesterday (if it's something in your personal life). Look up the definition of nostalgia man. Not sure why you're so weirded out by this. We're not talking about decadology here or pop culture in decades. We're simply talking about events you miss in your personal life. So not sure what problem you have with this... It's nothing weird or unusual, just accept it... You're the one who would be odd if you have zero nostalgia for some stuff that happened in your life in the past year.  ::)

You're weird dude. Nostalgic for yesterday? ???...I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. I look back at some things from last year fondly but I don't have nostalgia for them.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 1:06 pm

You're weird dude. Nostalgic for yesterday? ???...I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous. I look back at some things from last year fondly but I don't have nostalgia for them.

If you look back at things in the past year, that IS nostalgia. Do you even know he definition of the word? It's looking back fondly of things from the past. I don't know what your problem is to be honest. Nostalgia in your personal life is looking back at postive stuff from your life whether it's a year of 20 years. Makes no difference. This is normal for everyone, not weird. You're the weird one for not understanding that. I'm honestly not sure what you're so confused about or why you feel the need to call me names. I never said 2016 was retro, I just said I remember a couple good moments which counts as nostalgia. That's the definition. I'm not making this up.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 1:09 pm

If you look back at things in the past year, that IS nostalgia. Do you even know he definition of the word? It's looking back fondly of things from the past. I don't know what your problem is to be honest. Nostalgia in your personal life is looking back at postive stuff from your life whether it's a year of 20 years. Makes no difference. This is normal for everyone, not weird. You're the weird one for not understanding that.

Nostalgia is "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations" or "a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time"

I do not want to return to yesterday or 2016. I also do NOT have a sentimental longing, wishful affection or wistful desire to return to yesterday or 2016. It's very unusual to be nostalgic for yesterday or a year ago...just admit it.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 1:41 pm

Nostalgia is "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations" or "a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time"

I do not want to return to yesterday or 2016. I also do NOT have a sentimental longing, wishful affection or wistful desire to return to yesterday or 2016. It's very unusual to be nostalgic for yesterday or a year ago...just admit it.

You do realize the past is yesterday...? How the heck is it unusual? It is very normal and YOU'RE the one who is unusual not only for not having any hint of nostalgia for positive stuff in your life in the last year, but also for making a huge deal out of it and saying it's unusual and weird when it isn't. Yoi want more examples? I'm nostalgic for my laat semester at university last year because I had a light course load and liked my instructors. Past event, postivie vibe = nostalgia. So please tell me, ehat is your problem with this? I can give you many more examples. And you obviously know the definition of nostalgia so you should realize it's normal for a personal life.

By the way, the point of this thread isn't even nostalgia for 2015. Where in the world did yoh get that idea? I specifically said FUTURR nostgia and wanted to talk about the year and some significant events and things I liked from the year, that's all.

Not sure why you think I'm weird. I'm starting to think you're weird to be honest.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 1:45 pm

You do realize the past is yesterday...? How the heck is it unusual? It is very normal and YOU'RE the one who is unusual not only for not having any hint of nostalgia for positive stuff in your life in the last year, but also for making a huge deal out of it and saying it's unusual and weird when it isn't. Yoi want more examples? I'm nostalgic for my laat semester at university last year because I had a light course load and liked my instructors. Past event, postivie vibe = nostalgia. So please tell me, ehat is your problem with this? I can give you many more examples. And you obviously know the definition of nostalgia so you should realize it's normal for a personal life.

By the way, the point of this thread isn't even nostalgia for 2015. Where in the world did yoh get that idea? I specifically said FUTURR nostgia and wanted to talk about the year and some significant events and things I liked from the year, that's all.

Not sure why you think I'm weird. I'm starting to think you're weird to be honest.

One again....
"Nostalgia is "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations" or "a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time"

I do not want to return to yesterday or 2016. I also do NOT have a sentimental longing, wishful affection or wistful desire to return to yesterday or 2016. It's very unusual to be nostalgic for yesterday or a year ago...just admit it."

Also, I NEVER said that this thread was supposed to be nostalgia for 2015 (you made that up in your head) and I'm honestly thinking that you're weird to be honest as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 1:50 pm

I do not want to return to yesterday or 2016. I also do NOT have a sentimental longing, wishful affection or wistful desire to return to yesterday or 2016. It's very unusual to be nostalgic for yesterday or a year ago...just admit it.".

No, it's not unusual. You are unusual if you have no hints of nostalgia for a fun time like my example with vacations. Did you just read over my example of being nostalgic for a fun trip or vacation last year? I am nostalgic for my trip to Las Vegas last year. People get nostalgic immediately when they get home and want to go back. Do some research. This is normal for everyone and this IS a form of nostalgia. Everyone has this but you, so you are weird... What is your issue? Why are you saying it is unusual when it isn't? It's NOT unusual to get nostgic for a trip or a fun event from last year. This is normal human behaviour, so you're the weird one for not having that experience and insulting me over it. So are you gonna call everyone weird who misses a time when they were relaxing and off school like last year. This IS also nostalgia, read more into nostalgia if you don't believe me. It's a fact so I have no idea why you have such a strong and emotional opinion over this.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 1:53 pm

No, it's not unusual. You are unusual if you have no hints of nostalgia for a fun time like my example with vacations. Did you just read over my example of being nostalgic for a fun trip or vacation last year? I am nostalgic for my trip to Las Vegas last year. People get nostalgic immediately when they get home and want to go back. Do some research. This is normal for everyone and this IS a form of nostalgia. Everyone has this but you, so you are weird... What is your issue? Why are you saying it is unusual when it isn't? It's NOT unusual to get nostgic for a trip or a fun event from last year. This is normal human behaviour, so you're the weird one for not having that experience and insulting me over it. So are you gonna call everyone weird who misses a time when they were relaxing and off school like last year. This IS also nostalgia, read more into nostalgia if you don't believe me. It's a fact so I have no idea why you have such a strong and emotional opinion over this.

No it's not a fact and what you're talking about is not really nostalgia. I don't want to talk about this any further...please just STOP.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/17 at 1:56 pm

I'm not nostalgic for anything after 2004!  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 1:59 pm

I'm not nostalgic for anything past 2011 :-X.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 2:16 pm

Except nobody really thought that he (out of all people) would become president. Especially when he was supported by far-right Neo-Nazis throughout his election.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/17 at 2:42 pm

Like 7-11?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 2:48 pm

Like 7-11?

Huh? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 2:50 pm

Same. Although it's more of a gray area for me between late 2009-2011.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 2:54 pm

Same. Although it's more of a gray area for me between late 2009-2011.

Yeah, same here as well.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/22/17 at 3:16 pm

Yeah I'm not really nostalgic for anything past July 2012 here. I almost consider that to be the end of my "golden age."

There are a few things from more recent years I look back on fondly, but nothing I'm really nostalgic for and I can't see that ever changing.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 3:35 pm

Yeah I'm not really nostalgic for anything past July 2012 here. I almost consider that to be the end of my "golden age."

There are a few things from more recent years I look back on fondly, but nothing I'm really nostalgic for and I can't see that ever changing.

Yeah, I agree. I'm exactly the same.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 5:44 pm

No it's not a fact and what you're talking about is not really nostalgia. I don't want to talk about this any further...please just STOP.

But it is as per the definition. It means to reminisce. That is ehat nostalgia is and that is what I'm doing and I am normal, not weird. It is not weird.

Written By: the2001 on 04/22/17 at 5:45 pm

There is nothing remarkable about 2015

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 5:46 pm

But I'm talking about my personal life, not pop culture. I am most recently nostalgic for Christmas holidays 2016, it was a relaxing time when I wasn't in school.

Pop culturally, the last year I have nostalgia for is 2007.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 5:48 pm

2011 is too soon of a year to get nostalgic for culturally (for me at least). It's 2007 for me.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 5:50 pm

There is nothing remarkable about 2015

Miley Cyrus showed her boobs on camera. Her tongue wasn't enough.  :D

Written By: the2001 on 04/22/17 at 5:51 pm

Miley Cyrus showed her boobs on camera. Her tongue wasn't enough.  :D

2015 SUCKED

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/22/17 at 5:51 pm

But it is as per the definition. It means to reminisce. That is ehat nostalgia is and that is what I'm doing and I am normal, not weird. It is not weird.

LMAO OK bud ::).

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/17 at 5:54 pm

But I'm talking about my personal life, not pop culture. I am most recently nostalgic for Christmas holidays 2016, it was a relaxing time when I wasn't in school.

Pop culturally, the last year I have nostalgia for is 2007.

Oh.

Well, the last time I felt nostalgic for my personal life was 2006, or 2007!

Written By: Slim95 on 04/22/17 at 5:56 pm

2015 SUCKED

You didn't like her boobs?  ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 8:51 pm

2015 SUCKED

2012-present sucks

I don't know why people like it better than the 2000s.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/23/17 at 12:38 pm

All throughout college, I was already heavily nostalgic for high school, with particular emphasis on 11th and 12th grade, because I missed being in San Diego, I wanted the chance to make amends with my high school crush, and the pop culture was superior to the downward spiral it was experiencing during my time as a college student.

I just still think it's weird to categorize Donald Trump announcing his presidential candidacy under the same time capsule as Back to the Future Day and Inside Out. For me, that's like thinking back on the AIDS epidemic and homophobia of the 80s, in stark juxtaposition with the delightful movies and music. When you get nostalgic about something, or at least expect to become nostalgic, you usually clip out only the best elements, while repressing the negatives. In my perfect world, there would be a combination of 60s fashion, 80s/90s television and music, and LGBT rights not being controversial, but those things did not occur in tandem with each other, so the best I can do is embrace them together in the present as part of my own wacky taste in things.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/17 at 12:44 pm

I just still think it's weird to categorize Donald Trump announcing his presidential candidacy under the same time capsule as Back to the Future Day and Inside Out.

All of the categories are neutral though. It wasn't supposed to be a positive or negative so how is that weird? Here is an example. On YouTube there is a "Remember 2015" video, that person put Trump's announcement and the back to the future day on it. So it just lists significant events from 2015, nothing wrong with that. It's not about nostalgia, this isn't a nostalgia thread. It's about discussing the big and significant things that happened in 2015. Especially if you are Canadian like myself, 2015 was a big year because of the election and recession. But even in the U.S., it was the quenessential mid 2010s year in my opinion.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/23/17 at 1:58 pm

All of the categories are neutral though. It wasn't supposed to be a positive or negative so how is that weird? Here is an example. On YouTube there is a "Remember 2015" video, that person put Trump's announcement and the back to the future day on it. So it just lists significant events from 2015, nothing wrong with that. It's not about nostalgia, this isn't a nostalgia thread. It's about discussing the big and significant things that happened in 2015. Especially if you are Canadian like myself, 2015 was a big year because of the election and recession. But even in the U.S., it was the quenessential mid 2010s year in my opinion.

You've clarified that this isn't specifically supposed to be a 2015 nostalgia thread, but you still opened this discussion by stating 2015 is your favorite year of the 2010s and that you can easily see yourself getting nostalgic for it in a few years. Following such a positive summary of the year with Trump announcing his presidential candidacy is just odd.

A more appropriate context for that event would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iL8TtPOt0

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/17 at 2:57 pm

You've clarified that this isn't specifically supposed to be a 2015 nostalgia thread, but you still opened this discussion by stating 2015 is your favorite year of the 2010s and that you can easily see yourself getting nostalgic for it in a few years. Following such a positive summary of the year with Trump announcing his presidential candidacy is just odd.

Incorrect. 2015 is not my favourite year of the 2010s and I never said it was. 2013 is my favourite year of the 2010s. Where is this "positive summary"? Never once did I say it was a positive summary. I specifically said these are significant events, and only a couple of things that I liked. So I'm really not sure what the problem is here... Also keyword is "future" meaning in 10 years from now, 2015 will be nostalgic for me. So what is odd about adding the significant event of Trump announcing his candidacy in a thread about important events of 2015? I'm just really confused by your statement. This was never a positive or nostalgic thread, although I did enjoy 2015, but this is more neutral. It's a thread discussing the year and the important events, Trump being one of them. So what am I missing here?  I'm not sure what you were confused about to be honest...

Edit: Alright I looked back at my original post and I do understand the confusion now and I apologize. My wording made it seem like it was all about positive stuff from 2015. But my intention was simply to talk about significant events and how the year was important in Mid '10s culture. I did enjoy 2015 as well though, so if we can look back at good things from the year in the future that would be good too.  I'm sure others enjoyed the year too. I think in 10 years it will be looked back at fondly.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/17 at 3:28 pm

Here's a video summing up 2015 quite nicely.  :)

0FlHR_-vwP8

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/17 at 4:06 pm

Here's a video summing up 2015 quite nicely.  :)

0FlHR_-vwP8

You still proven Infinity's point about 2015.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 4:11 pm

2015 was an average year. 2016 was the worst year of my personal life.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/17 at 4:41 pm

2015 was an average year. 2016 was the worst year of my personal life.

2015 was worse for me honestly. 2016 was when stuff started to get really boring.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/23/17 at 4:47 pm

2015 was worse for me honestly. 2016 was when stuff started to get really boring.

In 2016, I wasn't depressed or anything but 2016 with all the politics and not too much exciting things happening made it a horrible year, IMO.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/23/17 at 5:23 pm

In 2016, I wasn't depressed or anything but 2016 with all the politics and not too much exciting things happening made it a horrible year, IMO.

I agree, 2016 sucked.

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 5:27 pm

2015 was the last year I felt hip and with it. When Harambe, Cavebob and dat boi happened I had no idea what was going on anymore. :o I think it's because I deliberately avoid Reddit.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/17 at 6:22 pm

2015 was the last year I felt hip and with it. When Harambe, Cavebob and dat boi happened I had no idea what was going on anymore. :o I think it's because I deliberately avoid Reddit.

2016 memes were rather weird, but I felt down with it. We Are Number One, The Nutshack, and Grand Dad was where its at for me in late 2016.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/23/17 at 6:41 pm

Yeah but 2015 had the atrocious John Cena, Shia Labeouf and Allahu Akbar craze....

Written By: 2001 on 04/23/17 at 10:00 pm

2016 memes were rather weird, but I felt down with it. We Are Number One, The Nutshack, and Grand Dad was where its at for me in late 2016.

I've never heard of those. :o

Yeah but 2015 had the atrocious John Cena, Shia Labeouf and Allahu Akbar craze....

Well, I'm not saying they were good, just that they were the last time I felt in tune with them. Also, that John Cena meme was funny. ;D

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/25/17 at 3:23 pm

2015 was the year of the minion. Facebook quotes, billboards, posters, commercials. There was no getting away from them!

Written By: bchris02 on 04/26/17 at 12:04 am

A lot of people really seem to hate 2016.  To me, 2016 was a very meh year but it wasn't really great or terrible and nothing really eventful in my personal life happened that year.  I just kind of coasted through it.  My 2016 playlist in iTunes is the smallest playlist since 2000 for me...most of the music was very unmemorable.  Even 2013 and 2014 had their memorable cultural gems like the Fox song, #Selfie, Harlem Shake, 'She Dates Tools', and Same Love.  2016 didn't really have anything memorable at all.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/26/17 at 2:54 am

Holy crap, that sounds terrible! :(

I live inside Texas and no one really talked about it too much, I live in a Christian family and my parents said that even though they think being gay is wrong, gay people deserve the same rights everyone else has, so they were overall happy about it. My grandparents didn't care too much, they weren't upset at all though. My uncle made a joke about it (he was neutral about it), and that's pretty much all I heard from people in my area. My siblings and I supported it too. Is Oklahoma really that different from Texas? I didn't expect it to be that way, so sorry about how it is.

About 2015, there were some terrible things that happened in the last two months that year in my personal life, but the rest of the year was good, went on a great trip to Arizona that March. Great year for video games, I'd say it's the best mid 2010s year for video games actually with releases like Fallout 4, Halo 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Arkham Knight, and I heard The Wicther 3, Bloodborne, Rocket League, Life Is Strange, Undertale, and Metal Gear Solid V were great that year.

For movies, The Force Awkakens obviously stands out with some others like Mad Max and The Martian. I've watched a lot less movies the past few years than I used to, so I can't say too much about that besides what I've heard with movies like Inside Out. Music was okay in my opinion, I don't think mid 2010s popular music is that bad. A lot of it is bland and generic, but there's plenty of stuff that stands out.

Overall, I like 2015 and it could end up being my most nostalgic year in the mid 2010s in the future, but who knows. Only year I've disliked that I've lived through is 2012.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 2:02 pm

2015 was somewhat awful. I understand there was decent music, but overall it was still terrible. For movies, Straight Outta Compton and Star Wars 7 were great, but I didn't watch much cinema that year. For games, they were lame aside from a few. Politics, it was definitely atrocious!

And this song was literally everywhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW8wmF5VWc

Written By: Wobo on 04/30/18 at 9:17 pm

Looking at this gives me somewhat of a happy vibe.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/30/18 at 10:06 pm

2015 is surely the best year of the mid 2010's!

Written By: SmartBo1 on 05/01/18 at 1:03 am

2015 is surely the best year of the mid 2010's!

I agree 100%

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 1:14 am

This day in 2015, Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars gave The Gap Band a writing credit on their huge hit 'Uptown Funk', due to its similarities with their 1979 track 'Oops Up Side Your Head'. 'Uptown Funk', which had topped the UK chart for seven weeks and the US chart for 14, originally had six songwriters but was now credited to The Gap Band as well.

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/18 at 4:05 am

2015 was somewhat awful. I understand there was decent music, but overall it was still terrible. For movies, Straight Outta Compton and Star Wars 7 were great, but I didn't watch much cinema that year. For games, they were lame aside from a few. Politics, it was definitely atrocious!

That song was pretty damn bad, I fully agree and I blame it on Vines which managed to push some horrid stuff to the top of the charts during its hayday (case in point, Ju-Ju On That Beat a year later).

But still, overall 2015 had a much better direction for music then it did the year before. Putting emphasis on lushness and airiness of the production (exemplified very well by songs like Cool for the Summer, Lean On and Justin Bieber's comeback singles that year). That year also had a lot of great albums that went on critical acclaim, most notably Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp a Butterfly" and Carly Rae Jepsen's "E-mo-tion".

Written By: ofkx on 05/01/18 at 7:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW8wcmF5VWc

Middle school me thought this song was cool ;D. It VERY cringy.

Written By: Wobo on 07/06/18 at 11:54 am

2015 was the year I started middle school. I turned 11 got Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 for my Nintendo 2DS. Was a FNAF fanatic from early-mid 2015. Got my old YouTube channel I made a year before terminated. Things weren't that bad honestly.

Written By: Wobo on 07/06/18 at 11:55 am

Lol Silento was big in 2014-2015.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/06/18 at 12:42 pm

Feels like all the odd numbered years of this decade were really good (except for 2011 I guess)

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/18 at 2:58 pm

I was warming up to 2015 in a big way, until I found a journal of mine. I only wrote in it sporadically in 2015, perhaps only when I felt down or confused, but it reminded me how much of a wreck that year was.  :o

Over time, I started to become slightly nostalgic for it because I minimized the bad times as just "growing pains" of being an aimless 22 year old while focusing on the great times of being a carefree 22 year old. ;D But when I look it at objectively (which I can do, because I scribbled my thoughts down into a journal), I much prefer 2018  :-X

I feel the same about 2014 (where my journal entries were a lot more consistent). I know I've been hyping that year to high heaven on these boards, but I read those journal entries, and I'm like, woah, never mind. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 07/06/18 at 3:44 pm

I was warming up to 2015 in a big way, until I found a journal of mine. I only wrote in it sporadically in 2015, perhaps only when I felt down or confused, but it reminded me how much of a wreck that year was.  :o

Over time, I started to become slightly nostalgic for it because I minimized the bad times as just "growing pains" of being an aimless 22 year old while focusing on the great times of being a carefree 22 year old. ;D But when I look it at objectively (which I can do, because I scribbled my thoughts down into a journal), I much prefer 2018  :-X

I feel the same about 2014 (where my journal entries were a lot more consistent). I know I've been hyping that year to high heaven on these boards, but I read those journal entries, and I'm like, woah, never mind. ;D

2013 - 2015 were pretty amazing years. 2017 was great too even though culturally it sucked.

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/18 at 3:57 pm

2013 - 2015 were pretty amazing years. 2017 was great too even though culturally it sucked.

My journals might be biased since I only wrote in them when I was confused and needed to organize my thoughts  :-X

But going by them, my best year was 2012 followed by 2010.

2018 and 2017 are up there too.

One thing I was shocked by was how I was significantly underrating 2013. The summer/fall of that year was actually a lot of fun :o

Written By: Wobo on 07/06/18 at 7:10 pm

2016 and 2017 were better than 2015 IMO

Written By: Dundee on 07/06/18 at 7:14 pm

2015 ruled  8)
https://media.giphy.com/media/12nyQYxzazFHe8/source.gif

Written By: ofkx on 07/06/18 at 8:36 pm

Anyone else notice a difference between music videos released in 2015 and 2018? Idk how to explain it but it's like the ones from 2015 are a more bright and neon-y, while the 2018 ones are darker with toned down colors.
2015:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtDXIazrMo&index=13&list=PLJP-vX88JwPqT5H2oD7ky-Ax7LsZyuHjC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBHQbu5rbdQ&list=PLJP-vX88JwPqT5H2oD7ky-Ax7LsZyuHjC&index=22http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK_0jXPuIr0&list=PLJP-vX88JwPqT5H2oD7ky-Ax7LsZyuHjC&index=32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8&list=PLtksrFmPZVXLJOJoqySZIuSq-W1RkBcv1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqeW9_5kURI&list=PLtksrFmPZVXLJOJoqySZIuSq-W1RkBcv1&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRh_vgS2dFE&list=PLc467n2v-U8CpQdL2hN8RjZRxjuXjfI8j
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEI4qSrkPAs&list=PLgDP5UKLWaCBCuEzCOZRz2F88TqPNydkS&index=4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW8wmF5VWc&index=45&list=PLgDP5UKLWaCBCuEzCOZRz2F88TqPNydkS

2018:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BwWKXjVaI&list=PL3oW2tjiIxvQ98ZTLhBh5soCbE1mC3uAT&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOTlE1K90k&list=PL3oW2tjiIxvQ98ZTLhBh5soCbE1mC3uAT&index=5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxKSjUwKdU&list=PL3oW2tjiIxvQ98ZTLhBh5soCbE1mC3uAT&index=10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTlNMmZKwpA&list=PL3oW2tjiIxvQ98ZTLhBh5soCbE1mC3uAT&index=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeiKbqa02g&list=PL3oW2tjiIxvQ98ZTLhBh5soCbE1mC3uAT&index=41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JnfIa84TnU&index=8&list=PLw-VjHDlEOgvtnnnqWlTqByAtC7tXBg6D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpVfcZ0ZcFM&index=39&list=PLw-VjHDlEOgvtnnnqWlTqByAtC7tXBg6D

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/07/18 at 6:41 am

Feels like all the odd numbered years of this decade were really good (except for 2011 I guess)

I thought 2011 was pretty good looking back, especially compared to the later years. Yeah, the odd numbered years seemed quiet while the even numbered years were crazy, except for 2010.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/09/18 at 12:03 am

2015 can't be discussed without this song being in the discussion.  It as absolutely inescapable that year.

lp-EO5I60KA

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/18 at 7:56 am

2015 can't be discussed without this song being in the discussion.  It as absolutely inescapable that year.

lp-EO5I60KA
On 10 August 2016, it was announced that Sheeran was getting sued by the family of Ed Townsend for copyright infringement, who claim that "Thinking Out Loud" plagiarises elements of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On". The claim was voluntarily withdrawn, with the court later saying there was no grounds or evidence of plagiarism even if the claim should have been submitted further in the courts.

Written By: Wobo on 07/15/18 at 9:57 pm

2015 was really an edgy year for the internet especially for youtube.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 07/15/18 at 10:07 pm

2015 was really an edgy year for the internet especially for youtube.

Yeah I miss those days in 2015 and 2016 when Youtube wasn't hyper sensitive. Also all of the drama was so petty but hilarious.

Written By: Wobo on 07/15/18 at 10:36 pm

Yeah I miss those days in 2015 and 2016 when Youtube wasn't hyper sensitive. Also all of the drama was so petty but hilarious.

i agree, Leafy, Scarce, Keemstar, Pyrocinical, H3H3, Idubbz and more. Especially the summer of 2016.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/16/18 at 3:12 am

In terms of the music that was released during the year, I would consider 2015 to be one of the best years for music. 2018 sucks in comparison.

2015 itself felt a lot calmer than '14 and '16 though.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/16/18 at 10:05 am

The more I think about 2015 and 2016, the more I realize how amazing those years were especially since this is the time I broke from anxiety approach.

Written By: Wobo on 07/18/18 at 5:02 pm

Some of my youtube videos from 2015 are turning three years old this month.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/18/18 at 7:04 pm

Some of my youtube videos from 2015 are turning three years old this month.

3 years ain't that long.

Written By: Wobo on 07/18/18 at 7:46 pm

3 years ain't that long.

Still though, it's still suprising.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 06/27/21 at 11:15 am

Pretty chill and empty year pop culturally. Not necessarily good just chill. Personally the first half was complete hell, the second half was much kinder to me. Some aspects of it are somewhat nostalgic for me like getting into 2D fighting games with injustice and ultra street fighter 4, experiencing the dragon ball renaissance period with a new movie, video game and the first new anime and manga since the 90s come out as someone who was really invested in DBZ at the time, playing clash of clans with my friends, the memes. Speaking of which, this was also the last good year for memes before everyone started spamming the same meme formats over and over and post irony. John cena and Shia lebeouf memes had me in stitches.

Check for new replies or respond here...