inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What year did people stop going outside?

Written By: the2001 on 04/26/17 at 12:21 pm

I am going to have t say somewhere in 2010, right around the time Smartphones blew up and Myspace died.

Subject: Re: What year did people stop going outside?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/26/17 at 12:38 pm

Kids stopped playing outside right around 2000. The rise of lengthy 3D video games and the debut of Spongebob Squarepants on Nickelodeon are largely responsible for this sad phenomenon.

Written By: the2001 on 04/26/17 at 12:41 pm

Kids stopped playing outside right around 2000. The rise lengthy 3D video games and the debut of Spongebob Squarepants on Nickelodeon are largely responsible for this sad phenomenon.

no way,  I was in the 6th 7th grade around this time and kids were always walking around the block

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 12:52 pm

Kids born 1990-present never played outside so whenever the kids born in 1990 were old enough to play outside that was the year nobody played outside. Now lemme make a big chart to empathize my pseudo-scientific analysis.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b7Qf7b_dYEg/UoED4_eLUII/AAAAAAAAIOk/Wdf3c6w7vkY/s1600/bhp.png

THE KIDS BORN BEFORE 1990 EXPERIENCES

blahblahblahcomputersblahblahblahkidsshowsblahblahblahblahblahblahblahgijoeblahblahblahchildhoodsblahblahblahphonecordsblahblahblahplayedoutsidelastgoodgeneration

THE KIDS BORN AFTER 1990 EXPERIENCES

blahblahblahnotrealhumansblahblahblahcartoonnetworkblahblahblahchildhoodcantgetitbackblahblahblahpokemonbalhblahblahspongebobblahblahblah911blahblahblahblahsamgoodyblahblahblahblahyoutubeblahblahblahblah

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 1:18 pm

Kids still do play outside, the rise of electronic entertainment has not truly changed that.  In general, the geekier, less athletic types have simply migrated from books to computers, television, and video games. Team sports are still a gigantic hobby, both at school as well as outside. All of the most popular students at school continue to be the fit sports superstars, not those with advanced knowledge about computer science and mathematics. As a kid in the late 90s and early 2000s, I remember sports being on most people's minds, and I felt like the outcast for staying on my computer instead. To this day, I still hear mention of junior league teams and see kids playing ball at the local parks.

Written By: the2001 on 04/26/17 at 1:30 pm

Kids still do play outside, the rise of electronic entertainment has not truly changed that.  In general, the geekier, less athletic types have simply migrated from books to computers, television, and video games. Team sports are still a gigantic hobby, both at school as well as outside. All of the most popular students at school continue to be the fit sports superstars, not those with advanced knowledge about computer science and mathematics. As a kid in the late 90s and early 2000s, I remember sports being on most people's minds, and I felt like the outcast for staying on my computer instead. To this day, I still hear mention of junior league teams and see kids playing ball at the local parks.

back in the 2000s everyone was outside, the most I see ANYONe doing anything outside
is playing hoops or walking in the park

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 1:35 pm

back in the 2000s everyone was outside, the most I see ANYONe doing anything outside
is playing hoops or walking in the park

I guarantee you plenty of kids are still participating in team sports. You just haven't been looking in the right places, I figure. Probably if you were a student in grade school, you'd realize that outdoor activities haven't gone out of style.

It also feels like a bajillion people these days love hiking or "going on an adventure." In fact, Snapchat and Instagram are likely to thank for that.

Written By: the2001 on 04/26/17 at 1:38 pm

I guarantee you plenty of kids are still participating in team sports. You just haven't been looking in the right places, I figure. Probably if you were a student in grade school, you'd realize that outdoor activities haven't gone out of style.

It also feels like a bajillion people these days love hiking or "going on an adventure." In fact, Snapchat and Instagram are likely to thank for that.

Not talking about team sports I mean doing things outside other than playing hoops playing on baseball teams etc

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 1:41 pm

It's stupid to try and pinpoint one specific year as to when kids stopped playing outside. I see people outside all the time playing sports or whatever and I've even noticed things like rollerblades and scooters making a comeback. This weird childhood nostalgia rose tinted pseudo-science has gotten way outta hand.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 1:43 pm

As an autistic person born in 1999, I'm not entirely sure when did children stopped playing outside. I went outside at the beach up until I was 6, since my mom wanted me to be healthy. This was also because of my autism and she was worried about it when I was diagnosed. Even after I normally went down at the beach, she signed me up for summer camp up until I was 12.

I bring this up because maybe it might have to deal with social anxiety and issues within children. Autism has been a mainstream medical topic since the late 90s and it has been on the rise for many kids. One of the symptoms for people in the autism spectrum is that they have difficulty socializing with people. So maybe that alone could be anxious for autistic kids who don't easily know how to socialize well.

Along with the fact that computers have been using broadband Internet for about 16 years, it could also be another reason why a lot of kids don't really go outside that much. Especially autistic kids, since they could understand the use of computers very well. They could also do certain tasks that can occupy them for hours. Like watching Youtube videos, or looking up images on Google, or other various stuff. So that could help why there isn't a lot of children outside nowadays.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 1:53 pm

In 2002, we were still 100% in the golden early 2000s childhood era that started in May 1999. By late 2004, the early 2000s influences were starting to decline, so we were in an early 2000s/Z-kid hybrid era that lasted until 2009, the last year you still had ripples of early 2000s childhood culture. I think that because Trump is now President, we're entering a whole new age of kid culture, expect to see those changes happen in the new shows premiering on Cartoon Network later this year.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 1:54 pm

LOL That was perfect! You literally made me spit out my drink! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 1:57 pm

It's because of Brexit that people now spit out their drinks while typing emoticons. During the previous era, which lasted until 2016, people instead went outside to pass footballs in their tuxedos. By 2019, the transition into the age of drink-spitting will be complete.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 2:06 pm

It's because of Brexit that people now spit out their drinks while typing emoticons. During the previous era, which lasted until 2016, people instead went outside to pass footballs in their tuxedos. By 2019, the transition into the age of drink-spitting will be complete.

The change will be reflected in the 2019 Cartoon Network bumpers.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 2:17 pm

It's stupid to try and pinpoint one specific year as to when kids stopped playing outside. I see people outside all the time playing sports or whatever and I've even noticed things like rollerblades and scooters making a comeback. This weird childhood nostalgia rose tinted pseudo-science has gotten way outta hand.

I agree with you wholeheartedly bro.

In 2002, we were still 100% in the golden early 2000s childhood era that started in May 1999. By late 2004, the early 2000s influences were starting to decline, so we were in an early 2000s/Z-kid hybrid era that lasted until 2009, the last year you still had ripples of early 2000s childhood culture. I think that because Trump is now President, we're entering a whole new age of kid culture, expect to see those changes happen in the new shows premiering on Cartoon Network later this year.

The change will be reflected in the 2019 Cartoon Network bumpers.

This was spot on. Awesome job guys ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 2:25 pm

If this is not supposed to be taken as a joke, how did early 2000s influences lasted until 2009?

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 2:33 pm

If this is not supposed to be taken as a joke, how did early 2000s influences lasted until 2009?

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was still on television until 2009. Because it premiered in the early 2000s (1999-2006), it was a ripple of the early 2000s childhood era, even though it was also on television for a good chunk of the 2010s era, which started in 2008, the year electropop songs like "Lollipop" and "Forever" became popular.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 2:36 pm

I believe cartoon network also changed their bumpers in 2008 which began the 2010s era.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/26/17 at 2:38 pm

I have a question. If the Democrats take back Congress and Trump gets impeached in 2019, how will a Mike Pence presidency alter the shift to this new age of kid culture?

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 2:38 pm

Oh! I did some of the data compiling and analysis for a study on this a few months back. I made it look like the graphs Jordan posted. It was the measure of VO2 max in Canadian school children and high school teens using the famous beep test. VO2 max is a measure of lung capacity, how much oxygen your lungs can take. This is more or less a direct measurement of how healthy someone's lungs are and how much physical activity they do.  The more healthy you are, the higher your VO2 max is.

The data for the children went back to the 1980s. From what I remember, the lung capacity in school children peaked some time in the mid-1980s, I think it was 1984 or 1987. From then on, it was a slow and consistent decline. The lung capacity of children in 2013 was almost 20% lower than children from the 1980s. I wouldn't say there was any particular year where people 'stopped going outside', but kids in 2012 were certainly less active than those in 2007, who were in turn less active than those in 2002, who were less active than those in 1997 and so on. It was very sad to see.

The situation for teens was even more dire. The sample size was much smaller, but the trend was still clear. I believe the first year of data was 1996 or thereabouts. The first datapoint itself was the peak, so I can't pinpoint to a certain year where teens started to go outside less. But unlike the data for the children, there was a steep and notable decline in the activity of teens in the early 2000s when the Nickolodean Golden Age started. From then on it declined, with a few bumps along the road, which I attributed to noise.

It wasn't my job to write any conclusion, but it's an epidemic and we're headed towards a health crisis, in my opinion. Obesity rates are through the roof and kids aren't exercising. We need more after school sports programmes, and we need to take more measurements and keep a closer eye on this sort of thing. We need to inform parents whether their child is getting enough physical activity, and connect them with free programmes taking place in the city (there are many!). Other than that, sidewalk-free neighbourhoods need to be banned.  :-X Cities need to be made more pedestrian and bike friendly. Also, we need to build playgrounds with swings and slides and the like, not just gardens! No kid wants to go to a garden. (I'm talking aboout the lame park in front of my house)

Sorry, I know you were looking for a pop culture answer, but I prefer science.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 2:40 pm

I have a question. If the Democrats take back Congress and Trump gets impeached in 2019, how will a Mike Pence presidency alter the shift to this new age of kid culture?

Like this.....
https://i.redd.it/v90jtnc084jy.jpg

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 2:42 pm

I believe cartoon network also changed their bumpers in 2008 which began the 2010s era.

Yeah, the only regular 2000s year was 2007, since there were still lots of 90s influences as late as 2006, and then Chris Brown and Flapjack stormed into 2008 and completely transformed everything into the electrodancing, iPhone-addicted, hipster SJW decade that lasted through 2016. Now that it's 2017 and Trump is President, all the former SJW's are now turning into ultra-patriotic, alt-right xenophobic klansmen.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 2:44 pm

Yeah, the only regular 2000s year was 2007, since there were still lots of 90s influences as late as 2006, and then Chris Brown and Flapjack stormed into 2008 and completely transformed everything into the electrodancing, iPhone-addicted, hipster SJW decade that lasted through 2016. Now that it's 2017 and Trump is President, all the former SJW's are now turning into ultra-patriotic, alt-right xenophobic klansmen.

It's too bad the 2010's didn't have it's own year. 2010-2016 was just filler and just as we got to 2017, thinking we'd have a definitive year like 2007, Trump became president and now we feel the changes in the air.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 2:54 pm

I agree with the others that while kids DO still play outside today, I think the OP was asking when it stop being common? Whenever I go outside on the weekends, after school weekdays and even non-holidays to the park, it's basically empty aside from some few people. Shoot, I have even been to other parks not in my neighborhood, and it's the same thing.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 3:06 pm

Boys will start dressing up as Kirk Cameron and girls will wear Anita Bryant costumes on Halloween. Show like Transparent and Orange Is the New Black will be cancelled overnight and instead be replaced by reruns of old Duck Dynasty episodes, plus archived Fox News coverage of the war on traditional families in 2003.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/26/17 at 3:09 pm

I agree with the others that while kids DO still play outside today, I think the OP was asking when it stop being common?

Statistically, 2008

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 3:10 pm

How was 2006 90s influenced in a way 2007 wasn't? I don't see it.

Written By: the2001 on 04/26/17 at 3:13 pm

How was 2006 90s influenced in a way 2007 wasn't? I don't see it.

LMAO DERAILED

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/26/17 at 3:14 pm

Not trying to sound stupid, but does that mean that 2007 was the only year that was 100% 2000's?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 3:16 pm

Oh my gosh, you guys can't CLEARLY see that #Infinity is joking and parodying some of you guys when you guys are talking about "How the world changed in late 2006?", etc.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 3:17 pm

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was still on television until 2009. Because it premiered in the early 2000s (1999-2006), it was a ripple of the early 2000s childhood era, even though it was also on television for a good chunk of the 2010s era, which started in 2008, the year electropop songs like "Lollipop" and "Forever" became popular.

So, the early 2000s in this site is now 1999-2006? If that's really the case, then...

q1OtiefZKHU

Yeah, the only regular 2000s year was 2007, since there were still lots of 90s influences as late as 2006,

I'm a bit confused by this. If there were still a lot of 90s influences by 2006, then how did get rid of all of them in a year? Much like what people say, influences don't really go away by an instant. They just stick around for the most part until somebody actually makes something more popular.

and then Chris Brown and Flapjack stormed into 2008 and completely transformed everything into the electrodancing, iPhone-addicted, hipster SJW decade that lasted through 2016. Now that it's 2017 and Trump is President, all the former SJW's are now turning into ultra-patriotic, alt-right xenophobic klansmen.

I wouldn't think they are Klansman in this case. A lot of them are neo-Nazis who pretty much promote white supremacy on the Internet.

Oh my gosh, you guys can't CLEARLY see that #Infinity is joking and parodying some of you guys when you guys are talking about "How the world changed in late 2006?", etc.

Well, she did reply to me in a serious way that Foster's was apparently an early 2000s show.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 3:22 pm

Well, she did reply to me in a serious way that Foster's was apparently an early 2000s show.  :P

She was joking...parodying some of you guys.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 3:25 pm

It's hilarious how some of you actually think any part of Jacqueline's post was serious. Oh brother.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 3:26 pm

It's hilarious how some of you actually think any part of Jacqueline's post was serious. Oh brother.

I know ;D.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 3:31 pm

Yep, just as seriously as I claimed 2006 was an early 2000s year and therefore had residual 90s culture that subsequently went extinct.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/26/17 at 3:35 pm

I would say it actually happened in the late '00s during the 7th gen console era.  Online gaming through console changed kid/teen culture.  You no longer needed to play outside with friends or even go to your friends' house to play video games together.  You could just stay home and play online.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/17 at 3:36 pm

I am going to have t say somewhere in 2010, right around the time Smartphones blew up and Myspace died.

I would say early to mid 2000's.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 3:36 pm

I know ;D.

Yep, just as seriously as I claimed 2006 was an early 2000s year and therefore had residual 90s culture that subsequently went extinct.
I think the reason they took it sincere is because this decade it all about being serious. There really hasn't been much sarcasm.

Written By: the2001 on 04/26/17 at 3:37 pm

I would say it actually happened in the late '00s during the 7th gen console era.  Online gaming through console changed kid/teen culture.  You no longer needed to play outside with friends or even go to your friends' house to play video games together.  You could just stay home and play online.

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 3:47 pm

But the 6th gen didn't even have good multiplayer games, except Melee.  :-X

There was Halo and Halo 2 but those were online.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 3:49 pm

But the 6th gen didn't even have good multiplayer games, except Melee.  :-X

There was Halo and Halo 2 but those were online.
BS! ;) ;D ::)

Written By: the2001 on 04/26/17 at 3:49 pm

lol

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/26/17 at 3:55 pm

As an autistic person born in 1999, I'm not entirely sure when did children stopped playing outside. I went outside at the beach up until I was 6, since my mom wanted me to be healthy. This was also because of my autism and she was worried about it when I was diagnosed. Even after I normally went down at the beach, she signed me up for summer camp up until I was 12.

I bring this up because maybe it might have to deal with social anxiety and issues within children. Autism has been a mainstream medical topic since the late 90s and it has been on the rise for many kids. One of the symptoms for people in the autism spectrum is that they have difficulty socializing with people. So maybe that alone could be anxious for autistic kids who don't easily know how to socialize well.

Along with the fact that computers have been using broadband Internet for about 16 years, it could also be another reason why a lot of kids don't really go outside that much. Especially autistic kids, since they could understand the use of computers very well. They could also do certain tasks that can occupy them for hours. Like watching Youtube videos, or looking up images on Google, or other various stuff. So that could help why there isn't a lot of children outside nowadays.

Autism became mainstream in nasty way in 2012, as some people connect it even with school shootings (yes, they do, unfortunately).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 4:06 pm

Don't forget ADD/ADHD and Asperger's. That's been on the rise as well.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 5:04 pm

If that was actually serious, then I would've been wondering how did it have all those 90s influences in more than half of the 2000s decade?

Autism became mainstream in nasty way in 2012, as some people connect it even with school shootings (yes, they do, unfortunately).

That's sort of... untrue. When I said that, I meant it was quite noticeable since the late 90s. The media made an important topic by the early 2000s and which started so many generalizations about the mental disorder.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/2002/1101020506_400.jpg

Don't forget ADD/ADHD and Asperger's. That's been on the rise as well.

ADD has been a serious topic since at least the late 20th century.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 5:11 pm

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 5:46 pm

BS! ;) ;D ::)

To be honest, more people played Wii Sports than any 6th Gen multiplayer game. Prove me wrong.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 5:53 pm

To be honest, more people played Wii Sports than any 6th Gen multiplayer game. Prove me wrong.
Fuzion Frenzy

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 5:54 pm

Fuzion Frenzy

Honest to God I've never even heard of that game.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 5:58 pm

Honest to God I've never even heard of that game.
Are you serious? ??? It was an Xbox exclusive.

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 6:01 pm

Are you serious? ??? It was an Xbox exclusive.

Maybe that's why I hadn't heard of it lol. It wasn't anywhere near as popular as Wii Sports though, that's for sure :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 6:06 pm

Maybe that's why I hadn't heard of it lol. It wasn't anywhere near as popular as Wii Sports though, that's for sure :P
Nah man. SMB, Sonic and DKC were much bigger.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 6:11 pm

I think the reason they took it sincere is because this decade it all about being serious. There really hasn't been much sarcasm.

I took it seriously because I've seen many people on youtube grouping 2006 with the early 2000s. They group the years 2000-2005 or 2000-2006. I've seen people saying stuff like the 90s lasted until 2005.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 6:14 pm

I took it seriously because I've seen many people on youtube grouping 2006 with the early 2000s. They group the years 2000-2005 or 2000-2006. I've seen people saying stuff like the 90s lasted until 2005.
And they're wrong. The 90s were pretty much gone by 2001.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 6:32 pm

It happened randomly with your Nintendo WFC, unless somebody entered a friend code from you.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 6:56 pm

People can say the 90's lasted til whenever the hell they want but if I see anyone saying "the 70's lasted until 1984/1985/1986" then we're gonna have a problem. ::)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 6:59 pm

And they're wrong. The 90s were pretty much gone by 2001.

Sometimes I think it's to make themselves seem older. I've heard someone born in 1995 say the 90s lasted until 2005 to say his childhood was mostly 90s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:01 pm

Sometimes I think it's to make themselves seem older. I've heard someone born in 1995 say the 90s lasted until 2005 to say his childhood was mostly 90s.

Zelek3 (Max), is that you? ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:04 pm

Yeah, I've seen that too; however, honestly it was over way before 2005 because everything that defined the decade was gone by then.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 7:06 pm

Yeah, I've seen that too; however, honestly it was over way before 2005 because everything that defined the decade was gone by then.

I don't even see 1999 as real 90s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 7:06 pm

Lol that was Zelek's plot all along! ;D ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:07 pm

I don't even see 1999 as real 90s.
It may have not been 100% 90s, but most of it was still there.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:08 pm

Yep ;D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:08 pm

I've seen those comments on YouTube before Zelek did it. So, he shouldn't be blamed.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:12 pm

I've seen those comments on YouTube before Zelek did it. So, he shouldn't be blamed.

Who's blaming him? We just find it funny because Zelek3 (Max)....pretty much thinks that way ;D. We never said that he was the first.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:13 pm

Who's blaming him? We just find it funny because Zelek3 (Max)....pretty much thinks that way ;D. We never said that he was the first.
A few of you.

and some of you did. You all even thought he started the whole late 2006 shift.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 7:15 pm

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:16 pm

A few of you.

and some of you did. You all even thought he started the whole late 2006 shift.

Me? ???....NEVER. Also, I wasn't blaming him just now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:17 pm

Didn't you say 2002 earlier? ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:18 pm

Me? ???....NEVER. Also, I wasn't blaming him just now.
I think so, along few others a few days ago.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:19 pm

I think so, along few others a few days ago.

Not me....you must be mistaking me for someone else (it happens quite often on this site).

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 7:20 pm

Didn't you say 2002 earlier? ???

I changed my mind. Probably 2009, more likely.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:21 pm

I changed my mind. Probably 2009, more likely.

LOL, you changed your mind again ;D.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 7:25 pm

LOL, you changed your mind again ;D.

Okay, I'll keep it at 2008.  8)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJEr9CfqeRmc3s4fBrumZxG4Nw8ZKW83dmE7wsqWZyADd7Fg7wqA

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:29 pm

Not me....you must be mistaking me for someone else (it happens quite often on this site).
must have been Jordan first blaming him and then others jumping on the bandwagon.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:33 pm

must have been Jordan first blaming him and then others jumping on the bandwagon.

I saw Jordan and a few others who did that but I didn't.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 7:33 pm

What? No! Why am I getting blamed now? :-\\ the2001 is the first one to go on about the "late 2006 shift".

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:40 pm

What? No! Why am I getting blamed now? :-\\ the2001 is the first one to go on about the "late 2006 shift".
but you guys thought it was Zelek at first.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/26/17 at 7:41 pm

Never. My neighbours still play outside in the summer and sometimes it gets so bad we can't even drive because they're on the parkway!

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 7:49 pm

Nah man. SMB, Sonic and DKC were much bigger.

Those are 3rd/4th Gen. I'm talking about 6th/7th Gen.

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 7:50 pm

Never. My neighbours still play outside in the summer and sometimes it gets so bad we can't even drive because they're on the parkway!

Is your house a spawn spot in Pokémon GO? ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 7:57 pm

but you guys thought it was Zelek at first.

I never did. When I first joined the site the "late 2006 shift" thread was pretty popular and I saw that it was started by "the2001". I'm just joking around with Zelek like I always do. 8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/26/17 at 8:00 pm

Can I see a link to the video(s) where these comments were posted? I actually never heard of people proposing a "late 2006 shift" until the2001 did it in 2015. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 8:04 pm

Can I see a link to the video(s) where these comments were posted? I actually never heard of people proposing a "late 2006 shift" until the2001 did it in 2015. :P

Max, you know that I still love you though :).

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 8:05 pm

I almost got ran over playing outside, when I was about 9. Sooooooo STUPID of me!!!  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 8:09 pm

That's exactly why I'm lampooning it, because the "early" prefix follows almost the entire 2000s decade more times than not, even often bringing 1999 along as well. It's just absurd and pointless to stretch the boundaries that far.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/26/17 at 10:08 pm

Threads like this really annoy the hell out of me, because it just encourages people to be ageist against those younger than them. There is no year when people stopped going outside. Even kids who grew up with smartphones and tablets at a young age still go outside, just like the kids who were born decades before them. If people really did stop going outside, then we wouldn't be able to live our day to day lives!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 10:12 pm

Threads like this really annoy the hell out of me, because it just encourages people to be ageist against those younger than them. There is no year when people stopped going outside. Even kids who grew up with smartphones and tablets at a young age still go outside, just like the kids who were born decades before them. If people really did stop going outside, then we wouldn't be able to live our day to day lives!

I agree 100% bro.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/26/17 at 10:18 pm

I do feel like even people close enough to my age don't go outside. Like college students. The only time I bet they hang is mainly on campus. Then, its homework and smartphones. I definitely see this as the case for girls.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 10:51 pm

Those are 3rd/4th Gen. I'm talking about 6th/7th Gen.
Well i already gave you an example of a 6th gen game.

I would like to, but there's too many videos with those types of comments that it would be difficult to post specific ones, and that they could have been deleted due to the BS copyright infringements.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/27/17 at 3:09 am

I see people outside all the time.

Or am I just hallucinating???  :o :o :o

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/27/17 at 4:53 am

Thank you for sharing your own personal experience and I completely agree with the points you raised. I personally have a friend who has autism. He can socialize with people very well, however when he is out of school, he has a habit of spending up to 8-10 hours a day (and possibly even more) playing online gaming on the PS4 and staying up all night. The trouble is, he mostly only plays online gaming with people from America, which means that he is awake for most of the night and sleeps during the day, because of the time zone differences. I was speaking with him yesterday and he told me that last week, he went to bed at 9am and woke up at 4:30pm in the afternoon!

Written By: Howard on 04/27/17 at 5:08 am

What do they play?

Written By: Howard on 04/27/17 at 5:09 am

I almost got ran over playing outside, when I was about 9. Sooooooo STUPID of me!!!  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Did a car run you over?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 11:21 am

Thank you for sharing your own personal experience and I completely agree with the points you raised. I personally have a friend who has autism. He can socialize with people very well, however when he is out of school, he has a habit of spending up to 8-10 hours a day (and possibly even more) playing online gaming on the PS4 and staying up all night. The trouble is, he mostly only plays online gaming with people from America, which means that he is awake for most of the night and sleeps during the day, because of the time zone differences. I was speaking with him yesterday and he told me that last week, he went to bed at 9am and woke up at 4:30pm in the afternoon!

A lot of autistic people that I know love playing with video games. I even have a friend (who has Aspergers) that likes watching Markiplier videos and has a FNAF hat. He also likes playing Mario Kart 7, Pokemon Black and Y on his 3DS. I sometimes play MK7 with him and his friends, but I'm not entirely into my 3DS. We still get along though.

Written By: 2001 on 04/27/17 at 4:14 pm

It's a '90s revival!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 4:15 pm

It's a '90s revival!

Except they can't do that to kids today, since they never experienced the 90s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:15 pm

What are you talking about? ???

Written By: 2001 on 04/27/17 at 4:16 pm

It was a joke. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 4:21 pm

What are you talking about? ???

It appears that I took a joke literally from Slowpoke. My. mistake.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/28/17 at 8:32 pm

You must be hallucinating!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/17 at 9:48 pm

I see outside people.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/29/17 at 4:02 am

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/cheech.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/17 at 4:13 am

Did a car run you over?

No, almost did, though. I was very lucky!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/17 at 4:14 am

I see outside people.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41HHBMBQDEL._SY300_.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 4:18 am

We will all stop going outside when the Apocalypse arrives?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/17 at 4:44 am

Everything will be 'outside.'  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 4:45 am

All that is left will be cockroaches roaming the planet?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 4:46 am

http://rs343.pbsrc.com/albums/o479/aurianblau/12a.gif?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

She is outside

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/17 at 5:10 am

http://rs343.pbsrc.com/albums/o479/aurianblau/12a.gif?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

She is outside

She's walking the walk!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 6:56 am

All blown away outside!

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 7:45 am

I see outside people.

and they're staring at their phones. ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 7:46 am

When will that happen? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 7:46 am

No, everything will be in inside.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 7:47 am

All that is left will be cockroaches roaming the planet?

and what about other things too? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 7:53 am

and what about other things too? ???
All had been perished.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 7:54 am

and they're staring at their phones. ::)

That will be true.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 8:24 am

All had been perished.

that would include people too? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/17 at 8:25 am

that would include people too? ???
Those left outside yes, those inside in underground chambers will hopefully survive.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/17 at 10:33 am

Yes. We will all be hiding out from the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/29/17 at 10:37 am

If you want to know the truth, kids stopped playing outside whatever year you turned 13. Just like how all kids became spoiled and entitled the year you turned 13, and all cartoons started to suck the year you turned 13.

Also, music isn't as good now as when you were 13, either. :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/17 at 12:43 pm

I was 13 in 1995...

Music remained just as good for 7 years after that. Therefore, music stopped being good when 2003 happened and I was 20/21. I can't even do the whole "when I turned this age in this year" because my birthday's in August. :-\\

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 12:44 pm

I was 13 in 1995...

Music remained just as good for 7 years after that. Therefore, music stopped being good when 2003 happened and I was 20/21. I can't even do the whole "when I turned this age in this year" because my birthday's in August. :-\\

July babies rule, August babies drool 8).

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/17 at 12:44 pm

July babies rule, August babies drool 8).

I dunno, I like my birthdate. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 12:46 pm

I dunno, I like my birthdate. :P

You can like it but it doesn't change the fact the July babies >>> August babies 8). DEAL WITH IT!.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/17 at 12:49 pm

You can like it but it doesn't change the fact the July babies >>> August babies 8). DEAL WITH IT!.

Nahhhh. ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 5:51 pm

Those left outside yes, those inside in underground chambers will hopefully survive.

Aw man!  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...