inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If people protested the music industry would the music get better?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 2:42 pm

If people stood outside clear channel and the record labels and started holding up signs and protesting for better music would it happen? I think that's what needs to be done. I see no other option to get music as good as it used to be.

Subject: Re: If people protested the music industry would the music get better?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 2:52 pm

Burn everything!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 2:56 pm

Damn right :)
Today's music industry deserves to be destroyed so we can have something good replace it

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 3:00 pm

Damn right :)
Today's music industry deserves to be destroyed so we can have something good replace it

Let's string up Drake up by his toes and only let him down when he promises to not make anymore music! >:(

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 3:03 pm

Let's string up Drake up by his toes and only let him down when he promises to not make anymore music! >:(

Let's send him to the moon, where nobody can hear him scream!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 3:06 pm

But seriously, is there any other option but mass protests to change the music industry? Before someone tells me about Spotify, that's not taking the problem head on.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 3:20 pm

We can start our own bands.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 3:26 pm

Whoa, there! You can burn everything!! OR you can have a new car!!!  8)  8)  8)

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-mno/Opera-SL-Roadster-red-fa-td-1024x768.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 3:29 pm

gvdf5n-zI14

Written By: Howard on 04/26/17 at 3:29 pm

You can't just say to burn everything, which one would you want to burn?  ???

Written By: Howard on 04/26/17 at 3:30 pm

We can start our own bands.

What will be the name of it?

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 3:40 pm

My mom always told me to protest with my money. So I bought all of Drake's albums.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 3:42 pm

You can't just say to burn everything, which one would you want to burn?  ???

Everything!

What will be the name of it?

Cherry Poppin' Daddies! 8)

http://cdn-s3.allmusic.com/release-covers/500/0004/165/0004165591.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 04/26/17 at 3:43 pm

If people stood outside clear channel and the record labels and started holding up signs and protesting for better music would it happen? I think that's what needs to be done. I see no other option to get music as good as it used to be.

No.  People just need to stop downloading crappy songs.  Looking at how long "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran was #1 on Billboard, obviously a lot of people loved that song and were continuing to download it.

If people want mid '10s EDM and trap rap to go away, they need to simply stop consuming it and something else will take its place.  Eventually it will happen as popular culture evolves naturally, but for now there really isn't a quick fix.

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 3:44 pm

Whoa, there! You can burn everything!! OR you can have a new car!!!  8)  8)  8)

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-mno/Opera-SL-Roadster-red-fa-td-1024x768.jpg

http://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2016/09/08041640/carrrr.gif

Written By: bchris02 on 04/26/17 at 3:44 pm

My mom always told me to protest with my money. So I bought all of Drake's albums.

Buy Kendrick Lamar's new album if you haven't yet.  Whenever good music comes out, buy it.  Don't buy crappy music.  That's the only way it will change.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 3:51 pm

No.  People just need to stop downloading crappy songs.  Looking at how long "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran was #1 on Billboard, obviously a lot of people loved that song and were continuing to download it.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the UK singles charts, where not only has he been at #1 for basically the majority of 2017 so far, his entire new album has been on the charts for several consecutive weeks. At least Steps' "Scared of the Dark" was a top 10 hit in Scotland, even if for only a single week.

If people want mid '10s EDM and trap rap to go away, they need to simply stop consuming it and something else will take its place.  Eventually it will happen as popular culture evolves naturally, but for now there really isn't a quick fix.

Apparently, there's something "artistic" about all this garbage that we just don't comprehend in our old timey ways. If "Panda" and Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman can rate quite decently on Rate Your Music, then I think all hope is lost for musical standards.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/26/17 at 3:57 pm

Oh, and don't even get me started on the UK singles charts, where not only has he been at #1 for basically the majority of 2017 so far, his entire new album has been on the charts for several consecutive weeks. At least Steps' "Scared of the Dark" was a top 10 hit in Scotland, even if for only a single week.

Apparently, there's something "artistic" about all this garbage that we just don't comprehend in our old timey ways. If "Panda" and Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman can rate quite decently on Rate Your Music, then I think all hope is lost for musical standards.

I really don't think Ed Sheeran is that terrible, but he isn't that good either.  I wouldn't mind him if every song he released wasn't played into the ground.  I liked "Thinking Out Loud" when it first came out, but after a few months I never wanted to hear it again.

Panda really isn't much worse than the hip-hop that dominated the mid '00s.  If anything needs to go, its Ariana Grande's style of EDM pop.  It's just sooo worn out at this point.  I wish they would either bring back the catchy hooks and early '10s style production or kill off EDM altogether.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 3:58 pm

Oh trust me. It will be gone soon. I think most people are aware that the infused bland music is overplayed too much. With Lamar's new album so far, I say music will take a new approach. 

Written By: Howard on 04/26/17 at 4:05 pm

Everything!

Cherry Poppin' Daddies! 8)

http://cdn-s3.allmusic.com/release-covers/500/0004/165/0004165591.jpg

How about something else, that name is taken.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 4:14 pm

"If people protested the music industry would the music get better?"..........

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8c/6a/4a/8c6a4a6c9f5ddc3cd9780226129b91d9.png

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 4:32 pm

I really don't think Ed Sheeran is that terrible, but he isn't that good either.  I wouldn't mind him if every song he released wasn't played into the ground.  I liked "Thinking Out Loud" when it first came out, but after a few months I never wanted to hear it again.

He's decent enough, but seeing him far outperform even Oasis in 1996 and the Beatles in 1964 just makes me weep for how little people care about the music industry anymore.

Panda really isn't much worse than the hip-hop that dominated the mid '00s.  If anything needs to go, its Ariana Grande's style of EDM pop.  It's just sooo worn out at this point.  I wish they would either bring back the catchy hooks and early '10s style production or kill off EDM altogether.

Mid-late-2000s snap music was indeed horrid, but that doesn't mean "Panda" has any level of artistic merit, either. It's just the same pointless, incoherent mumbling over a trashy beat all the way through, and yet it managed to top the Hot 100. That's hideous. Grande's bunny album is pretty lame, and it's absurd that it's basically the current generation's equivalent to stuff like Control and Like a Prayer.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 6:01 pm

I think the thing is music is so bad these days that even someone OK or average like Ed Sheeran really stands out to people on a huge level. He's one of the only people I can listen to today. I want trap and the bland version of EDM to go so bad. I don't understand how anyone can like trap. I've never seen a trap song I liked. What appeals to people about it and why is it so popular?

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 6:07 pm

I think the thing is music is so bad these days that even someone OK or average like Ed Sheeran really stands out to people on a huge level. He's one of the only people I can listen to today. I want trap and the bland version of EDM to go so bad. I don't understand how anyone can like trap. I've never seen a trap song I liked. What appeals to people about it and why is it so popular?

Besides Sheeran, there's also the Chainsmokers, who aren't as awful as everybody says they are but certainly aren't recording anything on the same level as Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster or Rachel Stevens' Come and Get It.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 6:08 pm

Besides Sheeran, there's also the Chainsmokers, who aren't as awful as everybody says they are but certainly aren't recording anything on the same level as Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster or Rachel Stevens' Come and Get It.

It's like Gaga fell off the map and never returned.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 6:09 pm

Most of you guys (or a lot of you) are in the 25 to 30 age range. That's the age range where you start to think in terms of "Back in my day, we listened to this" and "Why do teens and people in their early 20s like this genre of music?".

Look, I'm not a big fan of a lot mainstream songs from 2012-present but I don't think that the music industry is horrible and I don't hate most popular genres of today, I just wish there was more diversity in genres and sound. However, a lot of you guys need to realize that popular music evolves and when it changes..a lot of people won't/don't like it.

Back in the 1990s, there were plenty people around your age and even older back then who hated/disliked most popular songs of the 1990s and said "Music of today is trash", "Why is grunge popular? Grunge is the worse musical genre ever", "People actually listen to gangsta rap?", etc.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 6:13 pm

Most of you guys (or a lot of you) are in the 25 to 30 age range. That's the age range where you start to think in terms of "Back in my day, we listened to this" and "Why do teens and people in their early 20s like this genre of music?".

Look, I'm not a big fan of a lot mainstream songs from 2012-present but I don't think that the music industry is horrible and I don't hate most popular genres of today, I just wish there was more diversity in genres and sound. However, a lot of you guys need to realize that popular music evolves and when it changes..a lot of people won't/don't like it.

Back in the 1990s, there were plenty people around your age and even older back then who hated/disliked most popular songs of the 1990s and said "Music of today is trash", "Why is grunge popular? Grunge is the worse musical genre ever", "People actually listen to gangsta rap?", etc.
That's true. Those genres were talked down upon like the awful ones today; however, the difference was that Gangsta rap and Grunge were in the minority while styles of today are in the mainstream.

I definitely that's no variety in music though, or anything else for that matter.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 6:18 pm

That's true. Those genres were talked down upon like the awful ones today; however, the difference was that Gangsta rap and Grunge were in the minority while styles of today are in the mainstream.

I definitely that's no variety in music though, or anything else for that matter.

That's fair (I even mentioned that more diversity is need in popular music of today). However, for the others on this thread...they are just going through the natural cycle of disliking everything as you get old/older ;D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 6:23 pm

That's fair (I even mentioned that more diversity is need in popular music of today). However, for the others on this thread...they are just going through the natural cycle of disliking everything as you get old/older ;D.
Yeah, I agreed with you on that. Hopefully, that comes back soon.

Well they are, but they also seem to be more open to new music, and not just bash it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I agreed with you on that. Hopefully, that comes back soon.

Well they are, but they also seem to be more open to new music, and not just bash it.

Well, wanting to protest the current music industry is pretty much bashing it...isn't it? :-\\

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 6:30 pm

The difference was in the 90s you had variety. If you didn't like one of the genres you could listen to others and people had adult contemporary. You also had stuff like Britpop, eurodance, house, 90s country, other types of alternative rock, goth rock, and many types of styles. Now? If you hate trap or the bland style of EDM you're screwed.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 6:33 pm

The difference was in the 90s you had variety. If you didn't like one of the genres you could listen to others and people had adult contemporary. You also had stuff like Britpop, eurodance, house, 90s country, other types of alternative rock, goth rock, and many types of styles. Now? If you hate trap or the bland style of EDM you're screwed.

There are music of today besides mainstream ones. You can listen to artists that aren't popular or mainstream. Also, there were tons of people who hated those genres as well back in the 1990s (the genres you listed and I bolded).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 6:38 pm

Well, wanting to protest the current music industry is pretty much bashing it...isn't it? :-\\
Yeah, but I can understand that because there's NO diversity right now music. It's same thing over and over again.

There are music of today besides mainstream ones. You can listen to artists that aren't popular or mainstream.
I have done that before. While some were good, most have this certain style that gets emulated from the mainstream many times.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 6:39 pm

There are music of today besides mainstream ones. You can listen to artists that aren't popular or mainstream. Also, there were tons of people who hated those genres as well back in the 1990s (the genres you listed and I bolded).

Yeah but those songs and types of genres were mainstream back then. You weren't stuck with one thing and had lots of alternatives out in the open. There was also music for adults to listen to as well like I mentioned.

It's sort of the same with TV. There's not enough variety being made now.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 6:40 pm

So is "Panda" objectively of the same merit as "Straight Outta Compton" and "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" simply because different generations prefer different music? The difference between then and now is how popular music is marketed, due to changes in technology and economics. With pirating and streaming rampant and means of advertisement wider than ever, only the rich and powerful music corporations stand a chance at mainstream profitability, leaving everything else to quite underground circles. Only the prettiest faces and loudest, most manufactured and shocking stars stand a chance anymore at superstardom. The biggest hits these days are often the ones that, rather than crafting an interesting hook or lively production, exploit each and every cheap gimmick needed to tap into younger generations' narrow ears. Sure, there is still some popular music with either a brain (Kendrick Lamar) or good compositions (Steps' recent comeback), but the overall impact and diversity of the music industry has waned badly in the past few years, perfectly paralleling our current era's peak levels of depression, rancid politics, and passivity.

By the way, not all music from the past was golden. The early 60s, particularly 1959 to early 1963, were a particularly dismal era for noninstrumental popular music, and frankly aren't any better than the past few years.

I brought up The Fame Monster and Come and Get It because those are perfect examples of how modern pop albums can still be absolutely phenomenal and that it's not merely an issue of generational passover. Both were released in the 2000s, but neither sounds particularly old, either. Heck, for a more recent example, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories was a superb pop album, and that came out only 4 years ago. It's not impossible for something today to appeal equally to younger generations as well as older ones.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 6:44 pm

Yeah, but I can understand that because there's NO diversity right now music. It's same thing over and over again.

I have done that before. While some were good, most have this certain style that gets emulated from the mainstream many times.

The diversity issue I definitely understand and agree with.

Also, which styles have been emulated? (just asking)

Yeah but those songs and types of genres were mainstream back then. You weren't stuck with one thing and had lots of alternatives out in the open. There was also music for adults to listen to as well like I mentioned.

It's sort of the same with TV. There's not enough variety being made now.

That's fair. We all can agree that more diversity in music today is needed.

So is "Panda" objectively of the same merit as "Straight Outta Compton" and "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" simply because different generations prefer different music? The difference between then and now is how popular music is marketed, due to changes in technology and economics. With pirating and streaming rampant and means of advertisement wider than ever, only the rich and powerful music corporations stand a chance at mainstream profitability, leaving everything else to quite underground circles. Only the prettiest faces and loudest, most manufactured and shocking stars stand a chance anymore at superstardom. The biggest hits these days are often the ones that, rather than crafting an interesting hook or lively production, exploit each and every cheap gimmick needed to tap into younger generations' narrow ears. Sure, there is still some popular music with either a brain (Kendrick Lamar) or good compositions (Steps' recent comeback), but the overall impact and diversity of the music industry has waned badly in the past few years, perfectly paralleling our current era's peak levels of depression, rancid politics, and passivity.

By the way, not all music from the past was golden. The early 60s, particularly 1959 to early 1963, were a particularly dismal era for noninstrumental popular music, and frankly aren't any better than the past few years.

I never said that (the part I bolded).

Also, the music industry has always pushed certain genres. Not that much different than now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 6:49 pm

Also, which styles have been emulated? (just asking)
Trap. That style is almost in all songs today. It's getting difficult to find non-trap songs of any kind made in this country.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 6:51 pm

I never said that (the part I bolded).

You implied, though, that the primary reason I despise "Panda" is not just that it blows rocks as a song but more that I'm just too old and retro to appreciate its supposed artistic value. I'm sure it speaks to rap fans today in ways I can't empathize with, but I still feel its popularity is more the result of industry collapse and consumer desperation rather than widespread quality.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 6:51 pm

Beats me. I don't freakin' know!  :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 6:51 pm

I guess when it comes to all this Trap and whatnot we're all... Knee Deep in the Hoopla... ;)

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/26/17 at 6:53 pm

I guess some people on this site doesn't like the futuristic/cinematic sounds of trap music.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 6:53 pm

Trap. That style is almost in all songs today. It's getting difficult to find non-trap songs of any kind made in this country.

Even in non-rap related underground genres?

I tried listening to underground music made in 2016 and so far it's been disappointing. My only escape is listening to music from the past.

There it is, music from the past will always exist and now with the Web (especially YouTube)...you can listen to pretty much any popular song from the past.

You implied, though, that the primary reason I despise "Panda" is not just that it blows rocks as a song but more that I'm just too old and retro to appreciate its supposed artistic value. I'm sure it speaks to rap fans today in ways I can't empathize with, but I still feel its popularity is more the result of industry collapse and consumer desperation rather than widespread quality.

How did I imply it? ???

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 6:54 pm

I guess some people on this site doesn't like the futuristic/cinematic sounds of trap music.

I prefer the futuristic sounds of 80's music. 8)

Trap doesn't even sound futuristic. It sounds like jumbled together crap. 8-P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 6:57 pm

I'm not sure about that. I haven't seen any rap people blast that song many times. As for the song itself, all I hear is the word legasus unless it's something
Even in non-rap related underground genres?
Yes. I've heard it in some of today's underground rock songs

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/26/17 at 6:57 pm

I prefer the futuristic sounding songs from the 80s.
Trap doesn't sound futuristic to me. More like
garbled mess I can't relate to.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:01 pm

Yes. I've heard it in some of today's underground rock songs

That's weird but.....whatever.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 7:03 pm

I actually like some of the new songs coming out in 2017, though.  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:06 pm

That's weird but.....whatever.
Yeah. Have you heard of Imagine Dragons, and not just Radioactive?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:08 pm

Yeah. Have you heard of Imagine Dragons, and not just Radioactive?

I have only heard of their popular songs. They haven't been popular since like 2014/2015.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/26/17 at 7:12 pm

I have only heard of their popular songs. They haven't been popular since like 2014/2015.
Well still, they had that type of sound in some of their songs.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 7:15 pm

Well still, they had that type of sound in some of their songs.

OK, I gotcha.

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 8:04 pm

I actually like some of the new songs coming out in 2017, though.  :P

Passionfruit is legit one of the best Top 40 songs I've ever heard. Same with I Feel It Coming/Starboy, although those are late 2016. WoW black Torontonians bringing the talenT that has been sorely lacking!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 8:06 pm

Passionfruit is legit one of the best Top 40 songs I've ever heard.

Did you hear? For the first time in 33 years, the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 are all males/men!!!  :o  :o  :o

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 8:09 pm

Did you hear? For the first time in 33 years, the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 are all males/men!!!  :o  :o  :o

Yeah I heard! :o we've truly entered the Trump era.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 8:11 pm

#MalePower 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 8:13 pm

In Harry Potter, the evil wizard Lord Voldemort is called He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 8:15 pm

#MalePower 8)

I'm trying to think. 33 years ago is 1984, and that is around the time Madonna became famous. Makes sense, since 1984/1985 was when she became huge, helping propel other female singers up the charts, in an indirect way, of course!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 8:16 pm

I'm trying to think. 33 years ago is 1984, and around Madonna became famous. Makes sense, since 1984/1985 was when she became huge, helping propel other female singers up the charts, in an indirect way, of course!

Now, us....men will dominate the charts again 8).

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 8:17 pm

YEAH, IT'S ABOUT TIME MEN ROSE UP FROM THE OPPRESSION WE ALL FACE FROM FEMINAZIS EVERYDAY! REDPILL APLHA MALE POWER!! MEN RULE!!!!!! UNCUCKED!!!!!!!

Written By: 2001 on 04/26/17 at 8:17 pm

In Harry Potter, the evil wizard Lord Voldemort is called He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!  :P

Oh true that's why I usually censor it. I forgot this time.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 8:18 pm

Now, us....men will dominate the charts again 8).

I prefer it 50/50, but it fluctuates over time. And life isn't a math problem, so the balancing of Yin/Yang is imperfect.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 8:19 pm

YEAH, IT'S ABOUT TIME MEN ROSE UP FROM THE OPPRESSION WE ALL FACE FROM FEMINAZIS EVERYDAY! REDPILL APLHA MALE POWER!! MEN RULE!!!!!! UNCUCKED!!!!!!!

;D  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 8:20 pm

Male BRO FIST!!! 8)

I prefer it 50/50, but it fluctuates over time. And life isn't a math problem, so the balancing of Yin/Yang is imperfect.  :P

Women are weak.....who needs balance? 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/17 at 8:27 pm

Male BRO FIST!!! 8)
Women are weak.....who needs balance? 8)

Sometimes it'll be 80/20. Sometimes it'll be 50/50. Sometimes it'll be 60/40. Sometimes it'll be 90/10. 30/70! Etc, etc, etc, etc.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/26/17 at 8:28 pm

No wonder I despise today's music so badly... ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/17 at 8:29 pm

Sometimes it'll be 80/20. Sometimes it'll be 50/50. Sometimes it'll be 60/40. Sometimes it'll be 90/10. 30/70! Etc, etc, etc, etc.

No balance needed.

No wonder I despise today's music so badly... ::)

THAS RITE!!!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/26/17 at 10:24 pm

FLEX OUR MUSCLES AND SPIN PLATES! UNCUCKED AND ALPHA! MGTOW TIME TO FREE OURSELVES FROM THE EVIL GRIPS OF WOMAN! RISE UP AGAINST OPPRESSION MEN AND TIME TO TAKE BACK WHAT'S OURS!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/27/17 at 3:04 am

FLEX OUR MUSCLES AND SPIN PLATES! UNCUCKED AND ALPHA! MGTOW TIME TO FREE OURSELVES FROM THE EVIL GRIPS OF WOMAN! RISE UP AGAINST OPPRESSION MEN AND TIME TO TAKE BACK WHAT'S OURS!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

https://www.viralviralvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/79930926-1.jpg

;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/27/17 at 4:31 am

https://www.viralviralvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/79930926-1.jpg

;D

Thanks! ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/27/17 at 5:15 am

It's just expressing your feelings about the music industry.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/17 at 5:17 am

I prefer the futuristic sounds of 80's music. 8)

Trap doesn't even sound futuristic. It sounds like jumbled together crap. 8-P

I agree Jordan.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/17 at 5:18 am

Have you heard of the group Tuxedo? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 6:40 am

Have you heard of the group Tuxedo? ???

No.

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/27/17 at 8:41 am

If you really want music you like, you better make it yourself  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/27/17 at 10:47 am

If you really want music you like, you better make it yourself  ;)

And with today's technology it's never been easier to DIY.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/27/17 at 11:48 am

http://images.hellogiggles.com/uploads/2016/09/08041640/carrrr.gif

You're on an Oprah binge!  :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/27/17 at 12:45 pm

BEES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhuSDRIDHE

:o :o :o :o :o

Written By: 80sfan on 04/27/17 at 12:55 pm

BEES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhuSDRIDHE

:o :o :o :o :o

I knew Oprah had some magical voodoo about her! I just didn't know what!  :D

Written By: 2001 on 04/27/17 at 4:18 pm

You baited me by posting an Opera car!

vJNDTfGRkmE

Written By: Howard on 04/28/17 at 5:19 am

No.

The group Tuxedo have been on the scene for a few years now and they've brought back 80's music style.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/17 at 5:32 am

Due to a remark by John Lennon during the 1960s, people burnt The Beatles records and merchandise, how much did that affect the popularity of the group?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/28/17 at 6:38 am

The group Tuxedo have been on the scene for a few years now and they've brought back 80's music style.

OK 👌.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/17 at 5:46 pm

Due to a remark by John Lennon during the 1960s, people burnt The Beatles records and merchandise, how much did that affect the popularity of the group?

Were they still together?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/28/17 at 6:30 pm

Seriously getting on topic again, how can we change the radio and the top 40 to become good again like it was in the 70s, 80s ect.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/28/17 at 6:32 pm

Seriously getting on topic again, how can we change the radio and the top 40 to become good again like it was in the 70s, 80s ect.

Make your own music and upload it to YouTube ;).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/28/17 at 6:36 pm

Make your own music and upload it to YouTube ;).

Good idea. That doesn't change the top 100 charts or the radio though......

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/17 at 6:47 pm

Were they still together?
The Beatles stayed together for another 4 years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/28/17 at 6:48 pm

Good idea. That doesn't change the top 100 charts or the radio though......

It can....if you're successful you can make it into the Top 100 :).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/28/17 at 6:52 pm

Do you think there's good new music out there now that isn't being played on the radio?

Written By: 2001 on 04/28/17 at 8:07 pm

The top 100 is meant for inoffensive songs. Don't ask me to explain snap rap because I don't get it myself.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/28/17 at 8:48 pm

The top 100 is meant for inoffensive songs. Don't ask me to explain snap rap because I don't get it myself.

The top 100 today isn't inoffensive. It makes most people hate it.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/28/17 at 9:14 pm

Honestly, there's nothing you can do about it. Everything is subjective.

I like how this thread is interesting though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 9:33 pm

Do you think there's good new music out there now that isn't being played on the radio?
Yes! Kendrick so far. Hopefully, we can get a variety of great music again from all genres.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/28/17 at 11:01 pm

Wow @ the number of people on her who hate today's music.  :o

I actually like 99 percent of today's mainstream pop music.

I like:
Britney Spears
Halsey
The Weeknd
The Chainsmokers
Ariana Grande
Bahari (very obscure 60s/70s-influenced California rock/pop girl band)
Ruth B (Black Canadian singer who had a Top 40 hit with "Lost Boy")
Selena Gomez
Demi Lovato
Fall Out Boy
Bruno Mars
Justin Timberlake
Shawn Mendes
Fifth Harmony
"All of Me" and "Love Me Now" by John Legend
Taylor Swift (esp. 1989 era to present)
Adele
Eden xo (obscure LA singer also known as Jessie Malakouti or Jessie & the Boy Toys)
Alessia Cara
Tove Lo (esp. "Talking Body")
Solo Nick Jonas
DNCE
Meghan Trainor
Ellie Goulding
Lorde
"F*** Donald Trump" by YG & Nipsey Hussle
Katy Perry (esp. this political phase she's in)
Skip Marley's "Lions" and his guest appearance on "Chained to the Rhythm"
"Down" by Marian Hill
"Issues" by Julia Michaels
"Make Me (Cry)" by Noah Cyrus (which is odd considering I can't stand her sister, much less their "Achy Breaky" father)

Selective about:

Rihanna (I like "Stay," "Love on the Brain," "Need Me," and "Four Five Seconds" ; "Work" is okay; "Bitch Better Have My Money" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.)
"Panda" (A guilty pleasure novelty song when it first came out, but I quickly got sick of it; can't even understand the lyrics.)
Eminem (Not exactly a fan, but I can listen to "Lose Yourself," "The Monster" and "Love the Way You Lie" on the radio just fine.)

I can't stand:

Justin Bieber
Miley Cyrus (Luckily hasn't put out a record in years)
One Direction/solo ("I Don't Wanna Live Forever" by Zayn and Taylor Swift being the SOLE exception)
Watch Me Whip, Nae Nae, Twiddle My Thumbs, and Do the Twist
Country music

While I do like 99 percent of today's stuff, and while it's a trillion times better than what we suffered through in the Bush/post-9/11 2000s (2001-2011), it's still a far cry from the 90s and earlier. But it's a far cry I can stand listening to.

The music of the 2000s got so bad for me that I listened to rock (esp. classic rock) almost exclusively, 2006 being one of the only years that I returned to non-Britney pop. (the year of "You're Beautiful," "Bad Day," "Dani California," and Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy," the latter two being the only ones that don't embarrass me today; The Chipmunks definitely ruined "Bad Day" for me.)

But from 2011 on, the music finally got good enough for me to stand listening to. And even some of the 2000s stuff I didn't like when they were first popular (Usher's "Yeah"), I hear on the radio now and think, "Eh, it's not as bad as I thought." Or maybe it's the nostalgia?

Also, while I love (most of) today's music, I would love for rock/guitars/acoustic instruments to make a huge comeback.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/28/17 at 11:09 pm

Wow @ the number of people on her who hate today's music.  :o

I actually like 99 percent of today's mainstream pop music.

I like:
Britney Spears
Halsey
The Weeknd
The Chainsmokers
Ariana Grande

Bahari (very obscure 60s/70s-influenced California rock/pop girl band)
Ruth B (Black Canadian singer who had a Top 40 hit with "Lost Boy")
Selena Gomez
Demi Lovato
Fall Out Boy
Bruno Mars
Justin Timberlake

Shawn Mendes
Fifth Harmony
"All of Me" and "Love Me Now" by John Legend
Taylor Swift (esp. 1989 era to present)
Adele

Eden xo (obscure LA singer also known as Jessie Malakouti or Jessie & the Boy Toys)
Alessia Cara
Tove Lo (esp. "Talking Body")
Solo Nick Jonas
DNCE
Meghan Trainor
Ellie Goulding
Lorde
"F*** Donald Trump" by YG & Nipsey Hussle
Katy Perry (esp. this political phase she's in)

Skip Marley's "Lions" and his guest appearance on "Chained to the Rhythm"
"Down" by Marian Hill
"Issues" by Julia Michaels
"Make Me (Cry)" by Noah Cyrus (which is odd considering I can't stand her sister, much less their "Achy Breaky" father)

Selective about:

Rihanna (I like "Stay," "Love on the Brain," "Need Me," and "Four Five Seconds" ; "Work" is okay; "Bitch Better Have My Money" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.)
"Panda" (A guilty pleasure novelty song when it first came out, but I quickly got sick of it; can't even understand the lyrics.)
Eminem (Not exactly a fan, but I can listen to "Lose Yourself," "The Monster" and "Love the Way You Lie" on the radio just fine.)

I can't stand:

Justin Bieber
Miley Cyrus (Luckily hasn't put out a record in years)
One Direction/solo ("I Don't Wanna Live Forever" by Zayn and Taylor Swift being the SOLE exception)
Watch Me Whip, Nae Nae, Twiddle My Thumbs, and Do the Twist
Country music

While I do like 99 percent of today's stuff, and while it's a trillion times better than what we suffered through in the Bush/post-9/11 2000s (2001-2011), it's still a far cry from the 90s and earlier. But it's a far cry I can stand listening to.

The music of the 2000s got so bad for me that I listened to rock (esp. classic rock) almost exclusively, 2006 being one of the only years that I returned to non-Britney pop. (the year of "You're Beautiful," "Bad Day," "Dani California," and Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy," the latter two being the only ones that don't embarrass me today; The Chipmunks definitely ruined "Bad Day" for me.)

But from 2011 on, the music finally got good enough for me to stand listening to. And even some of the 2000s stuff I didn't like when they were first popular (Usher's "Yeah"), I hear on the radio now and think, "Eh, it's not as bad as I thought." Or maybe it's the nostalgia?

Also, while I love (most of) today's music, I would love for rock/guitars/acoustic instruments to make a huge comeback.
The ones in bold are the ones I can handle, and listen to, but some of their songs have been somewhat awful.

As for some mentioned I haven't heard, I'll give them a listen.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/28/17 at 11:28 pm

Starting in 2012/2013, music became bearable for me again.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/28/17 at 11:33 pm

Starting in 2012/2013, music became bearable for me again.

Interesting. What songs do you like from 2016 or 2017?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/17 at 11:52 pm

Wow @ the number of people on here who hate today's music.  :o

etc...
For me I do not dislike the music, I just try and not to listen to it in the first place.

If the music is pleasant to the ear, I like it.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/17 at 12:04 am

Interesting. What songs do you like from 2016 or 2017?

Something just like this, The Chainsmokers & Coldplay (2017)
Humble, Kendrick Lamar (2017)
I feel it coming, The Weeknd (2016)
Despacito, Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber (2017)
That's what I like, Bruno Mars (2017)

Written By: #Infinity on 04/29/17 at 12:14 am

I really like Steps' "Scared of the Dark" and Lorde's "Green Light," but I haven't come across a whole lot of other music. I have yet to hear anything as bad as "Panda" this year so far, but there still hasn't been as much variety on the charts as I'd like.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/17 at 12:18 am

Music isn't horrible right now, but it isn't refreshing and in its best shape, either.  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/29/17 at 12:45 am

There's this relatively new hard rock band called Ghost that has a lot of songs I like, but they're a little too...satanic for me.  :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 7:49 am

Maybe we could bring back the real instruments, saxophone, trombone and trumpet.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/29/17 at 12:54 pm

Maybe we could bring back the real instruments, saxophone, trombone and trumpet.

When's the last time those instruments have been big in the mainstream post-jazz age?  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 04/29/17 at 12:55 pm

The sax was really big in the 80's.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/29/17 at 12:58 pm

The sax was really big in the 80's.

Yup, I noticed/notice.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/17 at 5:49 pm

When's the last time those instruments have been big in the mainstream post-jazz age?  ;D

I will say mostly during the early 80's. ???

Check for new replies or respond here...