inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you noticed any changes in Top 40 music yet?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/27/17 at 9:03 am

And if you do, please elaborate.
Let's keep this thread running for the next few months, at least.
I wanna keep abreast of the changes.

Subject: Re: Have you noticed any changes in Top 40 music yet?

Written By: #Infinity on 04/27/17 at 10:15 am

Nope, the only real difference is that uptempo electronic dance music has pretty much bitten the dust since a year ago, leaving behind nothing but trap, slow EDM, and the occasional ballad. Ed Sheeran, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and the Chainsmokers are currently the dominant voices in music, and all of them were popular throughout the mid-2010s.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/27/17 at 1:12 pm

Nope, the only real difference is that uptempo electronic dance music has pretty much bitten the dust since a year ago, leaving behind nothing but trap, slow EDM, and the occasional ballad. Ed Sheeran, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and the Chainsmokers are currently the dominant voices in music, and all of them were popular throughout the mid-2010s.

At this point, this seems to be the case.
But do you think that in 6, 7, 8, 10 months from now, we will be looking at the exact same situation or will there actually be formidable change?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/27/17 at 1:20 pm

I haven't noticed any changes in Top 40 music in the last 15 years.

But that's probably because I'm an old fart.  ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 04/27/17 at 1:48 pm

At this point, this seems to be the case.
But do you think that in 6, 7, 8, 10 months from now, we will be looking at the exact same situation or will there actually be formidable change?

Not really. Usually, the biggest sign of incoming change is when something original becomes a big hit, like how "Smells Like Teen Spirit" blew up at the turn of 1992, "Just Dance" stormed up the charts at the beginning of 2009, and "Wannabe" ruled the airwaves in early 1997. These songs all pioneered major musical movements, but at the time were surrounded by older, more tried styles of music and wouldn't totally transform the musical landscape for at least several months of transition. Currently, the biggest songs on the charts right now make no real strides ahead of typical mid-2010s music, so even if something fresh explodes on the charts in a matter of weeks, we definitely have a ways to go before mid-2010s-style music finally goes away.

Written By: the2001 on 04/27/17 at 2:29 pm

Not really. Usually, the biggest sign of incoming change is when something original becomes a big hit, like how "Smells Like Teen Spirit" blew up at the turn of 1992, "Just Dance" stormed up the charts at the beginning of 2009, and "Wannabe" ruled the airwaves in early 1997. These songs all pioneered major musical movements, but at the time were surrounded by older, more tried styles of music and wouldn't totally transform the musical landscape for at least several months of transition. Currently, the biggest songs on the charts right now make no real strides ahead of typical mid-2010s music, so even if something fresh explodes on the charts in a matter of weeks, we definitely have a ways to go before mid-2010s-style music finally goes away.

Just dance became a hit in Aug of 2008

Written By: #Infinity on 04/27/17 at 3:01 pm

Just dance became a hit in Aug of 2008

It became a #1 hit in January 2009.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:08 pm

I agree with you. I keep hearing some people say that "we are in a new era now", "2017 is going be so different from 2014-2016 in terms of music".....I just don't see it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 4:12 pm

I haven't noticed any changes in Top 40 music in the last 15 years.

But that's probably because I'm an old fart.  ;D

I'm only 17 and I feel like I'm an old fart. Yet, I feel disappointed over my generation.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:15 pm

I'm only 17 and I feel like I'm an old fart. Yet, I feel disappointed over my generation.

There's always a few people who are "disappointed over my generation". You're one of 'em now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:19 pm

I keep hearing some people say that "we are in a new era now", "2017 is going be so different from 2014-2016 in terms of music".....I just don't see it.
That's because it's still too early; however, I can see by the end of the year, there will be a difference.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 4:20 pm

There's always a few people who are "disappointed over my generation". You're one of 'em now.

Except I'm actually nostalgic for my childhood, unlike some people my age who say "I was born in the wrong generation" on YouTube comments.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:22 pm

Except I'm actually nostalgic for my childhood, unlike some people my age who say "I was born in the wrong generation" on YouTube comments.

No, that's not what I'm talking about. There are always people in each generation who feel that their generation is bad or disappointing and long for their childhood. You're one of 'em...no different.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:23 pm

That's because it's still too early; however, I can see by the end of the year, there will be a difference.

Like I said....I just don't see it. 2017 will ne barely any different from 2016.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 4:24 pm

No, that's not what I'm talking about. There are always people in each generation who feel that their generation is bad or disappointing and long for their childhood. You're one of 'em...no different.

So basically, I'm just like any other person who hates their generation and gets nostalgic for their childhood? I'm not exactly different than anybody else?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/27/17 at 4:27 pm

Like I said in the other thread, the Billboard Hot 100's top 10 is all men this week. Might just be a coincidence though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:27 pm

So basically, I'm just like any other person who hates their generation and gets nostalgic for their childhood? I'm not exactly different than anybody else?

In this regard, yes :).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:28 pm

Like I said....I just don't see it. 2017 will ne barely any different from 2016.
Not right now you don't, but trust me there will be a change especially since Summer is coming up.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:30 pm

Not right now you don't, but trust me there will be a change especially since Summer is coming up.

Nope, still not seeing it happening. What change do you think will happen?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:36 pm

Nope, still not seeing it happening. What change do you think will happen?
Everything. Music, fashion, cinema etc. This whole dark and serious tone is getting tiring.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 4:39 pm

Everything. Music, fashion, cinema etc. This whole dark and serious tone is getting tiring.

Yeah, I don't see it....sorry.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:41 pm

Yeah, I don't see it....sorry.
Oh, I know. I'm just saying within the next several months, there will be a change.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/27/17 at 4:44 pm

Trump's presidency is just proviking more of the same culture. It's pretty much just the Zimmerman decision, rape culture, and Darin Wilson decision on steroids. All the bleak, cynical, passively rebellious social justice culture that had been developing for the entire decade so far has reached a new peak.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/27/17 at 4:54 pm

Trump's presidency is just proviking more of the same culture. It's pretty much just the Zimmerman decision, rape culture, and Darin Wilson decision on steroids. All the bleak, cynical, passively rebellious social justice culture that had been developing for the entire decade so far has reached a new peak.
So, you're thinking it won't end until at least 2019/2020? :( :\'(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:00 pm

So, you're thinking it won't end until at least 2019/2020? :( :\'(

Yep and I agree with #Infinity (or Jacqueline...which is her real name :))

Written By: Slim95 on 04/27/17 at 5:26 pm

Uptempo music has been gone since 2012. The EDM from the last couple of years were all mostly under 120 bpm.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/27/17 at 5:29 pm

I agree with you. I keep hearing some people say that "we are in a new era now", "2017 is going be so different from 2014-2016 in terms of music".....I just don't see it.

Same here. I honestly don't feel any changes compared to last year and I just don't see many things changing this year. Maybe a couple minor changes will come but I don't think they will even be noticeable like a lot of people are saying.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/27/17 at 5:38 pm

Same here. I honestly don't feel any changes compared to last year and I just don't see many things changing this year. Maybe a couple minor changes will come but I don't think they will even be noticeable like a lot of people are saying.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 5:10 pm

Yep and I agree with #Infinity (or Jacqueline...which is her real name :))

Well don't give up! It CAN & WILL change! Yeah, it's definitely too early to tell right now, but I think there will still be a change by the end of the year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 5:15 pm

Well don't give up! It CAN & WILL change! Yeah, it's definitely too early to tell right now, but I think there will still be a change by the end of the year.

Well, 2 two things that have changed in music that makes 2017 different from 2016 is that Migos is now in every song and Katy Perry has turned into Miley Cyrus ;D.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/17 at 5:41 pm

Yeah, it seems that they keep changing the songs on the Top 40. Why can't they just keep them the same?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:27 pm

Well, 2 two things that have changed in music that makes 2017 different from 2016 is that Migos is now in every song and Katy Perry has turned into Miley Cyrus ;D.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

At least that's something.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 6:33 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

At least that's something.

Yeah, you're right :P ;D.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:39 pm

Yeah, you're right :P ;D.
Have you heard Passionfruit by Drake?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 6:42 pm

Nope.

Written By: 2001 on 04/29/17 at 6:44 pm

Amazing song tbh *_*

Written By: 2001 on 04/29/17 at 6:50 pm

Yeah, it seems that they keep changing the songs on the Top 40. Why can't they just keep them the same?

Do you have children? That's such a dad joke ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 6:52 pm

Nope.
You have to. It's f*cking beautiful! :)

Amazing song tbh *_*
I know man. I'm even listening to it right now. :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 7:16 pm

You have to. It's f*cking beautiful! :)

Like "Fear"....I will check it out later.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 7:21 pm

Like "Fear"....I will check it out later.
Alright. Let me know when you have heard it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/29/17 at 8:03 pm

I've noticed some small changes on the ARIA charts, but no changes on the Billboard Hot 100 or UK charts.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/29/17 at 8:48 pm

I've noticed some small changes on the ARIA charts, but no changes on the Billboard Hot 100 or UK charts.

Ok, well, that's a sign.
Can you elaborate?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/29/17 at 9:01 pm

The only thing I have noticed is almost all of the new hits coming out have some form of EDM or trap style instrumental and I don't see any signs of this changing. Even if there are changes to music later in the year, I don't think 2017 will be looked back as a year of change because Ed Sheeran's Shape of You will be the number one song of 2017. If any changes happen in music soon, I predict this will most noticeably occur in 2018.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/29/17 at 9:09 pm

There's no change. And there probably won't be one.

Music of a decade doesn't conform to the early/mid/late model. For example, hip-hop remained exactly the same from Late 2005 to 2008 - the "snap rap" era. You'd expect it to change around late 2006/early 2007 when the late 2000s "officially" began, but nope, it remained the same.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 9:20 pm

There's no change. And there probably won't be one.

Music of a decade doesn't conform to the early/mid/late model. For example, hip-hop remained exactly the same from Late 2005 to 2008 - the "snap rap" era. You'd expect it to change around late 2006/early 2017 when the late 2010s "officially" began, but nope, it remained the same.

I think that has to do with the rise of current technology. Technology has brought numerous advantages but some disadvantages is music become essentially lackluster and "the same" (essentially).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/17 at 10:04 pm

I think that has to do with the rise of current technology. Technology has brought numerous advantages but some disadvantages is music become essentially lackluster and "the same" (essentially).
Have you heard passionfruit yet?

Written By: 2001 on 04/29/17 at 10:37 pm

You haven't lived till you've heard that song! Like I said in another thread, black Canadians are bringing the talenT!  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/17 at 10:51 pm

I just did. It was decent.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/29/17 at 11:28 pm

Ok, well, that's a sign.
Can you elaborate?

Rock is starting to have more of a presence on the ARIA charts.

Excluding "Sign of the Times" (which is currently at #6 on our charts), there is this blues rock song called "Way Down We Go" which has just entered into the Top 40. It's by an Icelandic band called Kaleo. The song was actually released in June, but it's appearance in Logan has suddenly propelled it up the charts. Even though the song was featured in FIFA 16, the song didn't actually chart at the time. I think it's interesting that it has charted into the Top 40 just two weeks after the release of "Sign of the Times".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-7IHOXkiV8

"Murder to the Mind" was only released last week. Whilst it's not a traditional rock song, it does contain traces of rock in it, especially the long guitar solo at the end of the song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQN1piSqAmk

This is more of an indie rock song, but it has really risen up the charts over the past few weeks. It is currently topping the Australian Artist Singles chart and it is #17 on the Top 40 ARIA chart. This song was released in October, but it only entered the Top 40 at the start of the month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlgCk3IGBg

Also, just as a side note, the ARIA chart is very similar (if not, almost identical) to the Billboard Hot 100 chart, so that's why the change is more noticeable.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/30/17 at 3:07 pm

Kendrick Lamar is the only huge change but that probably doesn't mean much if you don't care for hip-hop/rap.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/17 at 3:15 pm

Kendrick Lamar is the only huge change but that probably doesn't mean much if you don't care for hip-hop/rap.

But even that isn't even a change though. Eminem doesn't make trap music and he's had a couple hits (or at least featured hits) get to the charts in the mid 10s. The majority of songs are still trap.

Written By: 2001 on 04/30/17 at 5:02 pm

But even that isn't even a change though. Eminem doesn't make trap music and he's had a couple hits (or at least featured hits) get to the charts in the mid 10s. The majority of songs are still trap.

It's not insane to think that more people will try to copy Lamar though, going forward.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/17 at 5:05 pm

It's not insane to think that more people will try to copy Lamar though, going forward.

I think in order for there to be real change there needs to be a brand new artist nobody has heard about come out with a new style.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/30/17 at 5:40 pm

I think in order for there to be real change there needs to be a brand new artist nobody has heard about come out with a new style.

Like The Weeknd?

Written By: Slim95 on 04/30/17 at 5:50 pm

Like The Weeknd?

No the Weeknd has been around for a long time. I've known of him for 3 years now and he had many 2015 hits.

Written By: Zelek3 on 04/30/17 at 5:55 pm

As I've said before, 2015-2018 music will probably be the same the whole way through, with no real change until circa 2018 or 2019.

Just like how Late 2005-2008 music was the damn same the whole way through.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/30/17 at 8:39 pm

I think it's too early to tell but Kendrick is probably the most politically/socially conscious artist in the top 100 right now. That says a lot to me but it might not herald anything new. It is still something to keep track of. These things take a little time.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/02/17 at 6:40 am

I hope Trump's presidency and the recent surge of U.S. patriotism can inspire cheerful songs in the milieu of We Built this City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 6:44 am

I hope Trump's presidency and the recent surge of U.S. patriotism can inspire cheerful songs in the milieu of We Built this City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

This is like the billionth time you've mentioned that....either you really like Trump (your opinion....I'm not saying anything) or you really like "patriotic" fever (which is fine.....but why do we need a new wave of "patriotic" fever? ???)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/17 at 6:52 am

Probably his campaign songs for the next Presidential Election?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/02/17 at 7:03 am

This is like the billionth time you've mentioned that....either you really like Trump (your opinion....I'm not saying anything) or you really like "patriotic" fever (which is fine.....but why do we need a new wave of "patriotic" fever? ???)

Dude, I'm kidding.

Fix your sarcasm detector.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 7:16 am

Dude, I'm kidding.

Fix your sarcasm detector.

Some of the times, I can't distinguish your sarcastic from your non-sarcastic posts :P.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/02/17 at 7:17 am

You didn't catch on that I was joking when I named We Built This City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, two of the goofiest songs of all-time?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/17 at 7:19 am

You didn't catch on that I was joking when I named We Built This City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, two of the goofiest songs of all-time?

Nope, anything with Trump nowadays has to be taken serious :P.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/17 at 7:21 am

That is the reason I sent my reply.  ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/02/17 at 7:26 am

Great idea. Trump is a quintessential 80s personality, and so totally 80s songs would go along perfectly with his image. 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/17 at 7:27 am

Great idea. Trump is a quintessential 80s personality, and so totally 80s songs would go along perfectly with his image. 8)
As long as he pays the royalties?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/02/17 at 7:34 am

Trump's a rich guy, royalties should be no sweat for him.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/02/17 at 10:51 pm

_k1zJV0DSvc&t=13s    x1FW36keZJw

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/03/17 at 9:23 pm

Well, any updates on the music front?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/04/17 at 7:28 am

Well, any updates on the music front?

Not being rude, but I don't think much would have changed within the space of a week or two.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/04/17 at 12:23 pm

Has the Top 40 even mattered since the 00's?

Written By: #Infinity on 05/04/17 at 12:43 pm

Has the Top 40 even mattered since the 00's?

That depends on who you are. Not everybody listens to indie rock while derriding all popular music as unlistenable corporate schlock.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 1:07 pm

The last time the Top 40 was relevant, in my estimation, was 2002/2003.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/04/17 at 1:11 pm

The last time the Top 40 was relevant, in my estimate, was 2002/2003.

The top 40 is always relevent. Anytime you turn on the radio you will hear top 40 songs being played.

Written By: 2001 on 05/04/17 at 1:19 pm

The last time the Top 40 was relevant, in my estimate, was 2002/2003.

That sounds about right. After Yahoo! Music came out, there hasn't been any excuse for not being able to find music you like. The top 40 is only useful for going to parties and not being clueless of how to dance to the music. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 1:26 pm

That sounds about right. After Yahoo! Music came out, there hasn't been any excuse for not being able to find music you like. The top 40 is only useful for going to parties and not being clueless of how to dance to the music. ;D

:o

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/17 at 1:29 pm

The top 40 is always relevent. Anytime you turn on the radio you will hear top 40 songs being played.

The literal Top 40 show feels irrelevant to me, but popular music will always be popular.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/04/17 at 2:33 pm

The literal Top 40 show feels irrelevant to me, but popular music will always be popular.

It isn't because you still want to listen to music on your way to the store or on your way to work or school ect.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/17/17 at 11:54 pm

Bumping this thread for the hell of it

Check for new replies or respond here...