inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does 2012 feel dated to you yet?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/05/17 at 1:56 am

I'm just wondering if 2012 feels dated to any of you yet? For me, not yet. The last year that feels a little dated is 2011 but maybe later in the year 2012 will feel more dated. For me it is usually after 5 years for when a year starts to feel distant and dated. Also, is anyone nostalgic for the early 2010s and 2012 yet?

Subject: Re: Does 2012 feel dated to you yet?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/05/17 at 4:30 am

Yes, 2012 does feel dated to me now. However, it's not a year I look back on with a lot of fondness. I started High School in January of 2012, but with that came a lot of horrible experiences. My "friend" and his other friend would gang up on me and try to make me feel paranoid, a girl in my class used to try to embarrass me in front of everyone by singing "I love " in the tune of "Gangnam Style" and "Call Me Maybe" (even though she never had a crush on me. She admitted that to me a few years later), some people used to comment about my voice, which ruined my self-esteem and my mental state. To top it all off, my Nanna (my Mum's mum) passed away in October and a week later, my uncle was diagnosed with a brain tumor. 2012 is not a year I look back on nostalgically...

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/05/17 at 5:42 am

2012 in my opinion is starting to get a little dated yes (songs like what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and titanium seem to feel a little dated) but it doesn't feel that long ago to me. I can't believe it was half a decade ago now! I'm very nostalgic for the early 2010's especially 2011 as that was the best time of my life. I'm only nostalgic for the first half of 2012 which is a bit weird because at the time 2012 was actually the worst year of my life but since it is getting more distant I tend to look at the positives of that year.

Written By: 2001 on 05/05/17 at 11:14 am

Not at all yet.

Yes, 2012 does feel dated to me now. However, it's not a year I look back on with a lot of fondness. I started High School in January of 2012, but with that came a lot of horrible experiences. My "friend" and his other friend would gang up on me and try to make me feel paranoid, a girl in my class used to try to embarrass me in front of everyone by singing "I love " in the tune of "Gangnam Style" and "Call Me Maybe" (even though she never had a crush on me. She admitted that to me a few years later), some people used to comment about my voice, which ruined my self-esteem and my mental state. To top it all off, my Nanna (my Mum's mum) passed away in October and a week later, my uncle was diagnosed with a brain tumor. 2012 is not a year I look back on nostalgically...

I'm sorry to hear that.  :\'(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/05/17 at 11:15 am

Up until Obama left office in January, I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't still 2012.

My life really hasn't changed at all since 2012. I'm still pretty much doing the same thing every day now that I was doing back then. That's one thing that starts to happen more and more after you hit 25. Large blocs of years just start melding together into one seamless blob. ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/05/17 at 11:21 am

Yeah, a little; however, it's not as dated as much as 2010.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/05/17 at 11:31 am

I'm just wondering if 2012 feels dated to any of you yet? For me, not yet. The last year that feels a little dated is 2011 but maybe later in the year 2012 will feel more dated. For me it is usually after 5 years for when a year starts to feel distant and dated. Also, is anyone nostalgic for the early 2010s and 2012 yet?

It does.  2012 culture was closer to 2009 and 2010 than it is to 2017.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/05/17 at 1:27 pm

On a basic level, it still feels rather current, but certain little aspects do show the year's age a bit. Gaming was still 7th-gen, not counting the Wii U. Netflix and Amazon originals were not yet a thing. 2010s fashion was only just starting to consolidate its identity; many people still wore logo t-shirts or had scene swoops, like Smosh's Anthony Padilla, for example. Gay marriage was still not legal in most of the United States or in Britain. The Tea Party was the "populist" wing of the Republican Party instead of the Alt-Right. Smartphone and computer icons still had a beveled, metallic look instead of the soft, flat aesthetic standard today. Almost everything in the Top 40 was uptempo club EDM, in contrast to today's trap rap and r&b-EDM.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/05/17 at 1:33 pm

2010-2013 is dated

Written By: Emman on 05/05/17 at 2:02 pm

That's one thing that starts to happen more and more after you hit 25. Large blocs of years just start melding together into one seamless blob. ;D

I feel the same way, seasons come and go in an instant it seems now.

To the OP no it's not "dated", the feel of datedness is just a lot less than it used to be during most of the 20th century.

Even 2010 is not dated in the sense of 1980 being very dated by 1987(fashion, music, ect), and that's only 7 years, the last thing that strikes me as really dated is stuff like frosted tips/short spiky hair and really baggy pants but that's like 12-15 years ago(heck many teens STILL sag their pants like it's 1995).

Musically there is nothing today in the mainstream that has not been done before, we're rehashing rehashes at this point, and trap being over 15 years old 8-P, what's there to musically distinguish this "decade" from the ones before anyway.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/05/17 at 3:17 pm

Here's more stuff that 2012 is associated with:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Police_at_Sandy_Hook.PNG
http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/120720120106-co-shooting-03-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 05/05/17 at 3:45 pm

I feel the same way, seasons come and go in an instant it seems now.

To the OP no it's not "dated", the feel of datedness is just a lot less than it used to be during most of the 20th century.

Even 2010 is not dated in the sense of 1980 being very dated by 1987(fashion, music, ect), and that's only 7 years, the last thing that strikes me as really dated is stuff like frosted tips/short spiky hair and really baggy pants but that's like 12-15 years ago(heck many teens STILL sag their pants like it's 1995).

Musically there is nothing today in the mainstream that has not been done before, we're rehashing rehashes at this point, and trap being over 15 years old 8-P, what's there to musically distinguish this "decade" from the ones before anyway.

Yeah that's true. It seems like these days we are looking for detailed, superficial things to call stuff dated rather than seeing it clearly like in the 20th century. Maybe this will change once the 2020s arrive. I do agree that the 2000s and 2010s aren't even that drastically different, especially compared to the decades in the 20th century.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/05/17 at 11:06 pm

Yes a bit dated, not that old but it's a little dated compared to now.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:05 am

It's been 5 years so I don't think so.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 11:41 am

It's been 5 years so I don't think so.

5 years is half a decade. 5 years in the past is when things are starting to get dated or is a little dated. 2007 was different from 2002 in a lot of ways.

Written By: aja675 on 05/11/17 at 10:35 am

Sure. In many ways, 2012 mainstream music was essentially 2009 underground dance music.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/17 at 11:37 am

Honestly for me 2012 started to seem somewhat dated as early as 2015. A lot of people tend to forget, but 2012 had more connections to the 2009-2011 era than one may give credit. This was still Obama's 1st term in office, the economy was still in the gutter, the electropop, dubstep, and indie trends in music were still the standard, quintessential early 10's shows like Breaking Bad and Jersey Shore were still on the air, the Marvel Cinematic Universe had just started and thus most people were still in the 2000's mindset for superhero movies, 7th generation consoles were still the standard, etc.

Now in 2017 being balls deep into the Trump era and things from 2012 now seem pretty distant :o. Of course still modern in the grand scheme of things (like most things 2008-present), but its clear as day that 2012 is from another era.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 11:44 am

Honestly for me 2012 started to seem somewhat dated as early as 2015. A lot of people tend to forget, but 2012 had more connections to the 2009-2011 era than one may give credit. This was still Obama's 1st term in office, the economy was still in the gutter, the electropop, dubstep, and indie trends in music were still the standard, quintessential early 10's shows like Breaking Bad and Jersey Shore were still on the air, the Marvel Cinematic Universe had just started and thus most people were still in the 2000's mindset for superhero movies, 7th generation consoles were still the standard, etc.

Now in 2017 being balls deep into the Trump era and things from 2012 now seem pretty distant :o. Of course still modern in the grand scheme of things (like most things 2008-present), but its clear as day that 2012 is from another era.

Yeah, I agree with you. Solid points, you summed it up nicely.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/17 at 12:17 pm

Oh, I definitely think 2008 to 2012 was its own era. And what's crazy is that that's the duration of MCU's Phase One. What if we look back and find out that the MCU phases fit perfectly with the different eras?

As for Trump...we haven't even gotten to the freakin balls yet. We're only ankles deep.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 12:35 pm

We could say the same thing with 2013 as well. Yeah, it was Obama's 2nd term; however, all those things you mentioned were still the standard that year. I honestly don't recall seeing any MCU movies on the charts at that time, and that was when I worked at a movie theater; those genres were still in considering that the scene didn't change until towards the end of the year, and 7th generation was still current.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/17 at 1:38 pm

The last year for me that is dated is 2011.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/17 at 1:48 pm

We could say the same thing with 2013 as well. Yeah, it was Obama's 2nd term; however, all those things you mentioned were still the standard that year. I honestly don't recall seeing any MCU movies on the charts at that time, and that was when I worked at a movie theater; those genres were still in considering that the scene didn't change until towards the end of the year, and 7th generation was still current.

Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were released in 2013. I don't blame you for forgetting tho.  ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/17 at 1:55 pm

Yeah, I agree with you. Solid points, you summed it up nicely.

Thanks fam!

Oh, I definitely think 2008 to 2012 was its own era. And what's crazy is that that's the duration of MCU's Phase One. What if we look back and find out that the MCU phases fit perfectly with the different eras?

As for Trump...we haven't even gotten to the freakin balls yet. We're only ankles deep.

Good points! BTW I actually think 2013 is starting become pretty dated as well, albeit the first half of 2013. I think Late 2013 was when the cultural mid 2010's started to take form with EDM getting big, Netflix series like Orange Is The New Black debuting, 8th generation consoles launching, 90's inspired & hipster fashion entering its peak in popularity, the economy improving, etc.

Hence why Mid 2013 and before seems like a different era, while Late 2013 onwards seems to be sort of more relatable and in context with today's world. Since we just entered the Trump Era of Politics, the 2nd Term of Obama is still fresh in everybody's minds

Written By: Slim95 on 05/11/17 at 2:07 pm

Thanks fam!

Good points! BTW I actually think 2013 is starting become pretty dated as well, albeit the first half of 2013. I think Late 2013 was when the cultural mid 2010's started to take form with EDM getting big, Netflix series like Orange Is The New Black debuting, 8th generation consoles launching, 90's inspired & hipster fashion entering its peak in popularity, the economy improving, etc.

Hence why Mid 2013 and before seems like a different era, while Late 2013 onwards seems to be sort of more relatable and in context with today's world. Since we just entered the Trump Era of Politics, the 2nd Term of Obama is still fresh in everybody's minds

2013 was like a unique year that wasn't even fully mid or early '10s. It had its own unique culture with the popularity of the disco fad and other trends. I remember in 2013 I wasn't sure where culture was exactly going and thought things that were popular from 2013 would shape the culture. But by late 2013, we were already in mid '10s culture and the era has already established itself by late 2013/early 2014.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/17 at 3:10 pm

2013 was like a unique year that wasn't even fully mid or early '10s. It had its own unique culture with the popularity of the disco fad and other trends. I remember in 2013 I wasn't sure where culture was exactly going and thought things that were popular from 2013 would shape the culture. But by late 2013, we were already in mid '10s culture and the era has already established itself by late 2013/early 2014.

I agree! 2013 still had a heavy early 2010's vibe in the early section, but by the mid section was when it started to wane.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/17 at 5:15 pm

Marvel Cinematic Universe so far...

Phase 1: 2008-2012
Phase 2: 2013-2015
Phase 3: 2016-2019

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 5:21 pm

Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were released in 2013. I don't blame you for forgetting tho.  ;D
Yes, thank you! I worked at a theater that year, and I saw many films being released; therefore, they have been overlooked.  OTOH, I think you mean Iron Man 3. The 2nd one was released in 2010.

Thanks fam!

Yeah, 2013 seems to be split right now; however, by next year or 2019, the whole year will be dated.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 5:23 pm

Yeah, 2013 seems to be split right now; however, by next year or 2019, the whole year will be dated.

I don't think that I'll find the year 2013 dated until 2025.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/11/17 at 5:25 pm

I don't think that I'll find the year 2013 dated until 2025.
By that year, not only will 2013 be dated, but so will the following years. The Trump era will be one huge blur.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/17 at 5:39 pm

Yes, thank you! I worked at a theater that year, and I saw many films being released; therefore, they have been overlooked.  OTOH, I think you mean Iron Man 3. The 2nd one was released in 2010.

You're right. I had Iron Man 3 in my mind. I said I didn't blame you for not knowing about those releases because Thor 2 is one of MCU least interesting films and while I liked Iron Man 3 (a lot of people don't), I saw it almost a year after it was released. I barely heard before or since it was released.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/11/17 at 5:49 pm

By that year, not only will 2013 be dated, but so will the following years. The Trump era will be one huge blur.

I agree.

Check for new replies or respond here...