inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Will Online Streaming Finally Destroy Traditional Television?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/05/17 at 11:44 am

We've all heard the stories lately about the large numbers of people "cutting the cord" and getting rid of their traditional cable/satellite services in exchange for stuff like Roku and Amazon Fire TV in recent years. Cable subscription numbers have dropped several consecutive years in a row after growing consistently from the 1980's through the mid 2000's, and television ratings have plummeted over the last 5-10 years compared to what they once were. Just last week, ESPN had to lay off more than 100 employees due to declining revenues.

My question is, how long do you think it will be before streaming services totally kill off TV as we've known it for the past 60 years? I envision a future where "channels" in their current form (like HBO, TNT, USA, etc.) no longer exist and people watch everything (even sporting events) on demand through services like Netflix and Hulu. I think that the idea of programs being broadcast at specific times on channels will be as foreign to future generations as the idea of growing up without TV was to our generation.

I used to think it was going to be a long time before this happened, but I'm not sure anymore. Now I think we could see the end of traditional TV begin to occur sometime during the 2020's even. This process is going much faster than I expected. My dad (who barely even knows how to use a computer) has recently bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick and is planning on cancelling his Direct TV service within the next few months. The fact that "cord cutting" has spread beyond Millennials and is now being done by middle-aged guys like him is a VERY bad sign for the future of the cable and satellite industries.

Subject: Re: When Will Online Streaming Finally Destroy Traditional Television?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/05/17 at 12:07 pm

Great topic!

i have read articles about that as well, but I will say I don't think it will happen though. For one, not every TV show is on online streaming services. Two, the direction of online streaming services could change. Three, the news is one of the most important programs on traditional TV. I can't see online streaming services broadcasting something like that.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/05/17 at 12:14 pm

Written By: #Infinity on 05/05/17 at 12:28 pm

It'll take at least two decades, probably three. Even though Netflix and Amazon original shows constitute a huge chunk of the most popular programming right now, traditional television channels still retain a stronghold on the world of broadcast, especially for older generations. Even though many of their programs can be purchased online, channels such as HBO, AMC, Fox, CBS, etc. have continued keeping millions of people glued to their living room television sets to this day.

Personally, I think that traditional television will not truly fade into obscurity until holographic technology matures to the point that people are able to watch large-screen, 4k-definition movies and TV shows on the go. Home TV sets still provide a significant luxury over tablet and computer-centric outlets because of their more impactful sound and picture, which is what keeps them the primary choice for most people who are still at home. It's the exact same reason IMAX has kept the movie theater industry alive and well, even several years after online television and cinema became common. Over the coming years, my guess is that the big names in home TV programs will gradually convert towards streaming-only, perhaps aided by already-established streaming networks, but even after portable 4k large-screen becomes affordable and popular, it'll sti take quite a few years more for living room sets to finally take their last breath, as is the case with any classic technogy that goes obsolete.

Based on where holographic technology is right now, but also the heavy demand for portable televised entertainment, I would project home TV sets to start truly declining around the 2030s and die completely sometime in the 2040s. Tech companies are most likely going to spend the 2020s figuring out new ways to improve portable video entertainment, which will would most naturally lead towards refined holographic technology, but since we're still nowhere near perfecting that milestone, I don't think the shift will begin anytime soon.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/05/17 at 12:54 pm

2060's. Just a guess.  :P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/05/17 at 4:29 pm

It'll take at least two decades, probably three. Even though Netflix and Amazon original shows constitute a huge chunk of the most popular programming right now, traditional television channels still retain a stronghold on the world of broadcast, especially for older generations. Even though many of their programs can be purchased online, channels such as HBO, AMC, Fox, CBS, etc. have continued keeping millions of people glued to their living room television sets to this day.

Personally, I think that traditional television will not truly fade into obscurity until holographic technology matures to the point that people are able to watch large-screen, 4k-definition movies and TV shows on the go. Home TV sets still provide a significant luxury over tablet and computer-centric outlets because of their more impactful sound and picture, which is what keeps them the primary choice for most people who are still at home. It's the exact same reason IMAX has kept the movie theater industry alive and well, even several years after online television and cinema became common. Over the coming years, my guess is that the big names in home TV programs will gradually convert towards streaming-only, perhaps aided by already-established streaming networks, but even after portable 4k large-screen becomes affordable and popular, it'll sti take quite a few years more for living room sets to finally take their last breath, as is the case with any classic technogy that goes obsolete.

Based on where holographic technology is right now, but also the heavy demand for portable televised entertainment, I would project home TV sets to start truly declining around the 2030s and die completely sometime in the 2040s. Tech companies are most likely going to spend the 2020s figuring out new ways to improve portable video entertainment, which will would most naturally lead towards refined holographic technology, but since we're still nowhere near perfecting that milestone, I don't think the shift will begin anytime soon.

I agree that traditional living room TV sets probably will not die out for several decades. But I do think that some traditional TV channels may cease to exist a lot sooner than people think, perhaps as early as 2030.

The reason I say this is because streaming devices are becoming increasingly popular among older and older demographics. I agree that Silent Generation people (like my grandmother) will probably never get rid of their old cable/satellite set-top boxes, but middle-aged people like my dad and some even older than that seem to be switching over in droves as of late. I think the main reason is the price. My dad pays $150 a month for Direct TV, mostly for a bunch of channels he doesn't even watch, when he can now get Amazon Fire TV and pay just $20 bucks for Netflix and Hulu combined, which is really all he needs. I don't think that major providers like Direct TV and Comcast will be able to continue there current business models much longer into the next decade with the amount of subscribers they're losing.

I could see a scenario where, by 2030, channels like HBO or Showtime just offer their original shows on-demand entirely as opposed to airing them at a certain time on TV. I could even possibly see the broadcast networks like CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC doing this eventually, but that will probably take longer. News channels will probably stick around the longest, as that medium doesn't really lend itself to on-demand streaming as much.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/05/17 at 4:53 pm

Maybe never.

Believe it or not, radio remains the most used medium. Don't believe me? Go check for yourself. I bring this up because people act like radio is dead when it is far from it.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/05/17 at 5:39 pm

Maybe never.

Believe it or not, radio remains the most used medium. Don't believe me? Go check for yourself. I bring this up because people act like radio is dead when it is far from it.

Except it's primarily streamed and XM radio that rules the world these days. Far more often than not, the radio is accessed on smart devices instead of home sets. Not many folks tune into FM stations anymore.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/17 at 6:02 pm

Would this also include old school clock radios too? I would probably say within the next 5 years or so, online streaming is a source for something if one person wants to watch a PPV or film or something like that. We already have Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and Crackle for movies and television.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/05/17 at 6:55 pm

Great topic!

i have read articles about that as well, but I will say I don't think it will happen though. For one, not every TV show is on online streaming services. Two, the direction of online streaming services could change. Three, the news is one of the most important programs on traditional TV. I can't see online streaming services broadcasting something like that.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/17 at 6:59 pm

Great topic!

Apart from devices that can show the computer screen on the television for online streaming viewing, I cannot imagine what family sitting wrong a computer monitor to a major blockbuster movie.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/05/17 at 9:05 pm

Apart from devices that can show the computer screen on the television for online streaming viewing, I cannot imagine what family sitting wrong a computer monitor to a major blockbuster movie.

Smart TVs allow streaming straight to your TV natively.

I think network TV will be fine...ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.  I think cable might have a bit more trouble.  I myself use an antenna for network channels and then use my Smart TV function to stream Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc.  I have no need for cable.  Who needs 60+ channels that are either showing reality TV, reruns easily watchable through streaming services, or fake news?

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/05/17 at 9:20 pm

I don't want this to happen but I can see majority of the world transitioning to online streaming.

Cable companies are too damn greedy. Might as well just pay for internet.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/05/17 at 9:21 pm

I don't want this to happen but I can see majority of the world transitioning to online streaming.

Cable companies are too damn greedy. Might as well just pay for internet.

I don't want this to happen either but it seems inevitable...if not in 20 years, then 50 years...maybe later :\'(.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:07 am

It's not the same as compared to watching TV on a regular screen.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:09 am

I don't want this to happen either but it seems inevitable...if not in 20 years, then 50 years...maybe later :\'(.

I would say about 20 years.

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 9:48 am

We've all heard the stories lately about the large numbers of people "cutting the cord" and getting rid of their traditional cable/satellite services in exchange for stuff like Roku and Amazon Fire TV in recent years. Cable subscription numbers have dropped several consecutive years in a row after growing consistently from the 1980's through the mid 2000's, and television ratings have plummeted over the last 5-10 years compared to what they once were. Just last week, ESPN had to lay off more than 100 employees due to declining revenues.

My question is, how long do you think it will be before streaming services totally kill off TV as we've known it for the past 60 years? I envision a future where "channels" in their current form (like HBO, TNT, USA, etc.) no longer exist and people watch everything (even sporting events) on demand through services like Netflix and Hulu. I think that the idea of programs being broadcast at specific times on channels will be as foreign to future generations as the idea of growing up without TV was to our generation.

I used to think it was going to be a long time before this happened, but I'm not sure anymore. Now I think we could see the end of traditional TV begin to occur sometime during the 2020's even. This process is going much faster than I expected. My dad (who barely even knows how to use a computer) has recently bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick and is planning on cancelling his Direct TV service within the next few months. The fact that "cord cutting" has spread beyond Millennials and is now being done by middle-aged guys like him is a VERY bad sign for the future of the cable and satellite industries.

Sling Tv, Directv Now, Youtube TV all have ESPN thats why ESPN subs went down

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 9:49 am

OP it already exists

Sling TV

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/img_0110.jpg?w=738

Do you know if your dad got sling tv or Direct tv now?

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 9:53 am

I would say about 20 years.

its already happening right now with OTT providers like sling tv, Directv now, ps vue

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/06/17 at 9:54 am

OP it already exists

Sling TV

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/img_0110.jpg?w=738

Do you know if your dad got sling tv or Direct tv now?

He's going to sign up with Sling TV.

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 10:01 am

He's going to sign up with Sling TV.

Tell him to get the FX package

its only 25 dollars a month

Unless he likes ESPN
thats 20 a month

either way your dad is going to be happy

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 10:57 am

It'll take at least two decades, probably three.

Yet the proponents of self driving cars (at least on reddit, anyway) seem to take great pleasure in telling me that my truck driving skills are utterly useless and that I'll be out of a job in 5 to 10 years.  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 11:21 am

I don't care what anyone says...watching TV shows on a tablet and smartphone is just not the same as watching it on an ACTUAL TELEVISION. Also, watching a movie on a tablet or smartphone is just not the same as watching it in an ACTUAL MOVIE THEATER.

I just hope that all this "futuristic, high-tech" stuff doesn't take over until I'm in my 40s (2039-2048)...hopefully even further down the line.

I feel like I'm the only one who is content with the technology that we have now *sigh*.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/06/17 at 12:30 pm

I don't care what anyone says...watching TV shows on a tablet and smartphone is just not the same as watching it on an ACTUAL TELEVISION. Also, watching a movie on a tablet or smartphone is just not the same as watching it in an ACTUAL MOVIE THEATER.

I just hope that all this "futuristic, high-tech" stuff doesn't take over until I'm in my 40s (2039-2048)...hopefully even further down the line.

I feel like I'm the only one who is content with the technology that we have now *sigh*.

I agree. Tablets and smartphones will never overtake actual TV sets, as long as they have such tiny screens.

People will never stop watching content on their 50-60 inch TV sets. What I'm talking about is TV channels (like HBO and Showtime) eventually going by the wayside and being totally replaced by streaming services like Hulu and Amazon Prime. I could see this happening very soon, especially now that people are increasingly buying Smart TVs that have streaming capability out of the box.

I'm content with the technology we have now to an extent, but I also got tired of paying Direct TV (which is the only service I can get where I live at) $100 a month for 500 different channels that I didn't even watch. That's why I decided to "cut the cord" and go the streaming route. It was a great decision on my part. 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/17 at 12:33 pm

Yet the proponents of self driving cars (at least on reddit, anyway) seem to take great pleasure in telling me that my truck driving skills are utterly useless and that I'll be out of a job in 5 to 10 years.  :P

Although I don't make money out of driving, I like driving a lot! There's a sense of being in control with both my hands that I like about it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 12:36 pm

I agree. Tablets and smartphones will never overtake actual TV sets, as long as they have such tiny screens.

People will never stop watching content on their 50-60 inch TV sets. What I'm talking about is TV channels (like HBO and Showtime) eventually going by the wayside and being totally replaced by streaming services like Hulu and Amazon Prime. I could see this happening very soon, especially now that people are increasingly buying Smart TVs that have streaming capability out of the box.

I'm content with the technology we have now to an extent, but I also got tired of paying Direct TV (which is the only service I can get where I live at) $100 a month for 500 different channels that I didn't even watch. That's why I decided to "cut the cord" and go the streaming route. It was a great decision on my part. 8)

OK, I got your point. Maybe, the cable companies can just get rid of the excess channels or ask us which channels we want to keep or not (but they want money so I guess not).

I can see streaming services getting popular instead of channels but news channels won't ever go away ;D.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 12:39 pm

Although I don't make money out of driving, I like driving a lot! There's a sense of being in control with both my hands that I like about it.

I don't know what to feel about self driving cars. I'm not a gear head per se but I have loved cars ever since I was a toddler (around 2001/2002)....I just don't know if I'm comfortable yet with self driving cars. However, flying cars....no way...those can stay science fiction.

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 1:00 pm

sling tv is on tvs as well so people seem to not know that, we need to educate the people lol

I will always perfer TV over tablet for watching a movie

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 1:02 pm

OK, I got your point. Maybe, the cable companies can just get rid of the excess channels or ask us which channels we want to keep or not (but they want money so I guess not).

I can see streaming services getting popular instead of channels but news channels won't ever go away ;D.

CNN is on Sling tv lol
its only 20 dollars lol

HBO also has its own service called HBO NOW
Showtime has a live stream in its stand alone app as well its 10 bucks

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 1:03 pm

it astounds me that people still dont know what sling tv is

Okay pay 100 dollars while I watch every single cable channel for 25 lol

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/06/17 at 1:05 pm

That's exactly what they should do, if they want to survive. Instead of offering large packages where you have to order 100s of channels that you don't watch, cable companies should just let you purchase a small handful of channels that you actually do like (like ESPN, CNN, or whatever) and let you pay a smaller price for less channels. That would probably keep them afloat for a few more decades.

But, sadly, you're probably right. They want to keep making large amounts of cash, so they probably wont do it. ;D

I don't know what to feel about self driving cars. I'm not a gear head per se but I have loved cars ever since I was a toddler (around 2001/2002)....I just don't know if I'm comfortable yet with self driving cars. However, flying cars....no way...those can stay science fiction.

I don't like the idea of self-driving cars at all. They freak me out. What if the computer short-circuits and I crash into a tree! :o

That reminds me of a story about how people that grew up in the 1800s didn't like the idea of electricity because they feared that turning a light switch would electrocute them. ;D I think it'll be the same way with those of us who grew up with "old fashioned" cars being afraid to ride in self-driving cars in the future.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 1:09 pm

sling tv is on tvs as well so people seem to not know that, we need to educate the people lol

I will always perfer TV over tablet for watching a movie

CNN is on Sling tv lol
its only 20 dollars lol

HBO also has its own service called HBO NOW
Showtime has a live stream in its stand alone app as well its 10 bucks

it astounds me that people still dont know what sling tv is

Okay pay 100 dollars while I watch every single cable channel for 25 lol

OK dude. I know what Sling TV and HBO Now are...news channels will never fully give up on regular TV. Also, you didn't have to make 3 separate comments.

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/17 at 1:13 pm

I prefer being productive while being transported, otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time.  :-X I'd love a self driving car.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 1:13 pm

That's exactly what they should do, if they want to survive. Instead of offering large packages where you have to order 100s of channels that you don't watch, cable companies should just let you purchase a small handful of channels that you actually do like (like ESPN, CNN, or whatever) and let you pay a smaller price for less channels. That would probably keep them afloat for a few more decades.

But, sadly, you're probably right. They want to keep making large amounts of cash, so they probably wont do it. ;D

I agree 100%

I don't like the idea of self-driving cars at all. They freak me out. What if the computer short-circuits and I crash into a tree! :o

That reminds me of a story about how people that grew up in the 1800s didn't like the idea of electricity because they feared that turning a light switch would electrocute them. ;D I think it'll be the same way with those of us who grew up with "old fashioned" cars being afraid to ride in self-driving cars in the future.

I guess ;D. However, self driving cars still scare me....I like having control over a car and cars will always be dangerous no matter if they are on the ground or in the air (hopefully not though...that's plain terrifying :o). Computers aren't perfect because the being that made them aren't perfect (humans). I'm just not comfortable with self driving cars.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 1:14 pm

I prefer being productive while being transported, otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time.  :-X I'd love a self driving car.

I should start calling you Futurepoke because you seem like you're ready to live in 2099 or something ;D.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 1:37 pm

I don't know if TV networks/channels will go away but I do know that the cable companies are losing their shirts because of Netflix and Hulu and other online streaming services and I am absolutely loving it.

For far too long these pricks at the cable companies have had us all by the short and curlies, and if I can do anything to hasten their demise I'll gladly do it. I despise having to pay $100 per month for 100 channels out of which I'll watch maybe 10.  I'm sorry but I don't need the church channels, the stupid home shopping channels, the Spanish channels, or 90% of all the other cable channels out there. And if other people have a need for them then that's totally fine but I shouldn't have to pay for something that I never watch. I can't help but wonder if the main reason some of these smaller cable channels even stay in existence is because they're being subsidized by the cable companies and the larger cable networks, but I shouldn't have to subsidize them.

That's why I went with PlayStation Vue. Some of the live sporting events might be slightly choppy and maybe not in quite as high of definition as regular cable, but it still works for me.

Screw Cox, screw Comcast, screw TimeWarner, screw CenturyLink, screw whatever local cable companies you might have, screw them all.

BURN THAT MOTHER DOWN!  8)

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/128/622/KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE-FUNNY-FORUM-PICS.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/17 at 1:39 pm

I could read a book during the time the car drives itself.  :o  :o  :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 1:44 pm

I could read a book during the time the car drives itself.  :o  :o  :o

I'd probably just masturbate.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/17 at 1:48 pm

I'd probably google stuff on Google.  8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/06/17 at 3:29 pm

I can't help but wonder if the main reason some of these smaller cable channels even stay in existence is because they're being subsidized by the cable companies and the larger cable networks, but I shouldn't have to subsidize them.

That exactly the only reason some channels exist. Take Spike TV for example. Used to be a decent channel, but now all they do is show CSI: Miami 12 hours a day. Now, I like CSI alright and everything, but I'm not gonna watch ANY show for that damn long. Or how about WE? I can honestly say that in 15 years of having Direct TV, I have never even watched that channel once. In fact, people should go through the programming guide on their satellite/cable every once and a while and just see how many channels they're paying for that they never actually watch. Most people would be shocked. :o

I say that if TV providers didn't make you bundle large numbers of channels together as part of package deals, there's probably somewhere in the ballpark of two dozen networks that would cease to exist on their own.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 4:09 pm

That exactly the only reason some channels exist. Take Spike TV for example. Used to be a decent channel, but now all they do is show CSI: Miami 12 hours a day. Now, I like CSI alright and everything, but I'm not gonna watch ANY show for that damn long. Or how about WE? I can honestly say that in 15 years of having Direct TV, I have never even watched that channel once. In fact, people should go through the programming guide on their satellite/cable every once and a while and just see how many channels they're paying for that they never actually watch. Most people would be shocked. :o

I say that if TV providers didn't make you bundle large numbers of channels together as part of package deals, there's probably somewhere in the ballpark of two dozen networks that would cease to exist on their own.

You could certainly kiss EWTN goodbye if that happened.  ;D

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 4:21 pm

OK dude. I know what Sling TV and HBO Now are...news channels will never fully give up on regular TV. Also, you didn't have to make 3 separate comments.

Save your attitude for another thread

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 4:23 pm

I don't know if TV networks/channels will go away but I do know that the cable companies are losing their shirts because of Netflix and Hulu and other online streaming services and I am absolutely loving it.

For far too long these pricks at the cable companies have had us all by the short and curlies, and if I can do anything to hasten their demise I'll gladly do it. I despise having to pay $100 per month for 100 channels out of which I'll watch maybe 10.  I'm sorry but I don't need the church channels, the stupid home shopping channels, the Spanish channels, or 90% of all the other cable channels out there. And if other people have a need for them then that's totally fine but I shouldn't have to pay for something that I never watch. I can't help but wonder if the main reason some of these smaller cable channels even stay in existence is because they're being subsidized by the cable companies and the larger cable networks, but I shouldn't have to subsidize them.

That's why I went with PlayStation Vue. Some of the live sporting events might be slightly choppy and maybe not in quite as high of definition as regular cable, but it still works for me.

Screw Cox, screw Comcast, screw TimeWarner, screw CenturyLink, screw whatever local cable companies you might have, screw them all.

BURN THAT MOTHER DOWN!  8)

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/128/622/KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE-FUNNY-FORUM-PICS.jpg

;D ;D COMCAST SUCKS!!!!!

SO MANY CHARGES

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 4:26 pm

I would not at all be surprised that within the next 10 years they develop a TV with a screen that is so thin that it's basically like wallpaper, and you could just take it down from your wall and roll it up whenever you want to move it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 4:28 pm

;D ;D COMCAST SUCKS!!!!!

SO MANY CHARGES

Comcast can kiss my big hairy butt.    ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 4:35 pm

Save your attitude for another thread

Attitude? ;D. You've got to be joking. I was just pointing out something for you.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 4:37 pm

I would not at all be surprised that within the next 10 years they develop a TV with a screen that is so thin that it's basically like wallpaper, and you could just take it down from your wall and roll it up whenever you want to move it.

Maybe but I hope not.

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 4:37 pm

Attitude? ;D. You've got to be joking. I was just pointing out something for you.
;)

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/17 at 4:59 pm

Uhm, you can get a Chromecast or Apple TV and watch Netflix on your TV. Even a PS3 would work. Cable is finished, sorry.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 5:03 pm

Uhm, you can get a Chromecast or Apple TV and watch Netflix on your TV. Even a PS3 would work. Cable is finished, sorry.  :-X

Nope. Nope. Maybe (my step-father doesn't want to pay for Netflix) and nope....I don't have or want a PS3.

Also, cable is NOT finished...Futurepoke.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:04 pm

its already happening right now with OTT providers like sling tv, Directv now, ps vue

and everyone will ditch their old school televisions.

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/17 at 5:05 pm

Nope. Nope. Maybe (my step-father doesn't want to pay for Netflix) and nope....I don't have or wnat a PS3.

A Chromecast only cost $40. It saves you more money in the long run if you cut cable.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:07 pm

It takes me back to a time when you watched television on an old school set complete with rabbit ears and you went to a movie theater and watched a film with popcorn and soda in hand.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:09 pm

Nope. Nope. Maybe (my step-father doesn't want to pay for Netflix) and nope....I don't have or want a PS3.

I have a PS3.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 5:12 pm

A Chromecast only cost $40. It saves you more money in the long run if you cut cable.  :-X

What don't you get about....N-O-P-E? >:(

It takes me back to a time when you watched television on an old school set complete with rabbit ears and you went to a movie theater and watched a film with popcorn and soda in hand.

People still do that (the part I bolded).

I have a PS3.

I know...you've said that before...multiple times.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 5:23 pm

and everyone will ditch their old school televisions.

Everybody already has ditched their old school analog televisions.  You can't even give those things away anymore.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 5:26 pm

Did your dad use you as the remote for the TV when you were little, Howard?  Because mine did. ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:26 pm

Everybody already has ditched their old school analog televisions.  You can't even give those things away anymore.

So you would just recycle them instead?  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 5:27 pm

So you would just recycle them instead?  ???

Most people just leave them by the curb or chuck them into dumpsters.  :P

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:28 pm

Did your dad use you as the remote for the TV when you were little, Howard?  Because mine did. ;D

Yeah, occasionally when he was sitting on the couch and he didn't want to get up so he volunteered me to change the channel for him.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/06/17 at 5:28 pm

Most people just leave them by the curb or chuck them into dumpsters.  :P

or you can just bring them to your local bin.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/17 at 5:42 pm

When did streaming become popular?  :-X

Written By: the2001 on 05/06/17 at 5:44 pm

netflix got big in like 2011
the mail to DVD took off in 2007

Sling tv, vue and Streaming live cable platforms
got big in 2016

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/17 at 5:47 pm

Yeah, occasionally when he was sitting on the couch and he didn't want to get up so he volunteered me to change the channel for him.  ::)

Kids these days have no idea how rough we had it growing up in the 70's, do they Howard?

;)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/17 at 5:49 pm

netflix got big in like 2011
the mail to DVD took off in 2007

Sling tv, vue and Streaming live cable platforms
got big in 2016

So streaming is fairly new!  8)

Written By: 2001 on 05/06/17 at 6:00 pm

What don't you get about....N-O-P-E? >:(

But you said that because you thought you couldn't stream on TV, which isn't true ;D

It's the exact same thing, same TV shows, same experience, and same everything, it's just cheaper. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/06/17 at 6:12 pm

But you said that because you thought you couldn't stream on TV, which isn't true ;D

It's the exact same thing, same TV shows, same experience, and same everything, it's just cheaper. :P

You still seem to not get the concept of N-O-P-E. NOPE....NOPE...NOPE. >:(

Written By: Howard on 05/07/17 at 7:05 am

early 2010's.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/17 at 7:06 am

Kids these days have no idea how rough we had it growing up in the 70's, do they Howard?

;)

http://prod.ninu.s3.amazonaws.com/encoded_files/303180-full_poster/frame_0000.jpg

Written By: the2001 on 05/07/17 at 12:04 pm

So streaming is fairly new!  8)

yeah,  I used Sling tv in 2015 in beta but didn't switch until 2016

Literally has every channel I watch , FX, Cartoon network, TNT for basketball, comedy central in HD
and all I have to pay is 25 dollars

Then again you have to have a good connection , they just added DVR support in beta as well,
I tell everyone I know who is paying 100 dollars or more to switch, unless you like bleeding money lol

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/oKad1B7t3Y7RBiJlVz4FA2ia7-8g08gTqOArG-DK33l4gpt89_d97SCAnwX60JBthQ=h900

Written By: Howard on 05/07/17 at 12:12 pm

I enjoy online streaming but damn it's those small commercials before the show/film begins that bug me so much.  >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 05/07/17 at 12:27 pm

early 2010's.

More like mid-2010's!

Written By: af2010 on 05/08/17 at 1:43 am

You still seem to not get the concept of N-O-P-E. NOPE....NOPE...NOPE. >:(

Why are you against saving money? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't pay the cable bill.

To answer the question, cable companies know the writing is on the wall. They'll squeeze maybe 10-15 more years out of the Silents/Boomers, but I don't see it lasting past the 2030s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/08/17 at 6:43 am

Why are you against saving money? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't pay the cable bill.

To answer the question, cable companies know the writing is on the wall. They'll squeeze maybe 10-15 more years out of the Silents/Boomers, but I don't see it lasting past the 2030s.

I'm not against saving money. However, streaming services for me right now are not as good as cable. The only thing with cable is that I wish we could choose the channels that we want.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/10/17 at 11:15 pm

What are "channels?"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W7PaQdKyvT8/TyvhqHiDUiI/AAAAAAAAkoE/KknoxPRUy1E/w800/breadpiracy.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/17 at 7:18 pm

What are "channels?"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W7PaQdKyvT8/TyvhqHiDUiI/AAAAAAAAkoE/KknoxPRUy1E/w800/breadpiracy.jpg

An anti-intellectual property comic? ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/17 at 8:05 pm

What are "channels?"

I have so much to learn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/22/17 at 3:16 am

I don't think TV will ever completely die off. There will still be an audience for traditional television. As much as people are now switching to online streaming, internet reception is still very fickle. It can drop out very easily and there are many areas where the internet just isn't available. I predict that Television will one day follow the same path as AM radio. It will still be available, however it's purposes will become limited and it will no longer be the main source of consuming entertainment.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 3:32 am

yeah,  I used Sling tv in 2015 in beta but didn't switch until 2016

Literally has every channel I watch , FX, Cartoon network, TNT for basketball, comedy central in HD
and all I have to pay is 25 dollars

Then again you have to have a good connection , they just added DVR support in beta as well,
I tell everyone I know who is paying 100 dollars or more to switch, unless you like bleeding money lol

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/oKad1B7t3Y7RBiJlVz4FA2ia7-8g08gTqOArG-DK33l4gpt89_d97SCAnwX60JBthQ=h900

I know streaming is a good deal cheaper than cable, people with Netflix save quite a bit. What if you want to bundle internet though? What could you do to make that cheaper?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/17 at 4:58 am

I don't think TV will ever completely die off. There will still be an audience for traditional television. As much as people are now switching to online streaming, internet reception is still very fickle. It can drop out very easily and there are many areas where the internet just isn't available. I predict that Television will one day follow the same path as AM radio. It will still be available, however it's purposes will become limited and it will no longer be the main source of consuming entertainment.

I think people still need TV and radio.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/23/17 at 12:14 pm

Maybe never.

I believe this. Especially in professional capacities, radio is number in the police force, military, government agencies, etc.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/23/17 at 12:15 pm

TV and radio will die once the internet of things completely replace its need. I would say in 20-30 years, maybe even less.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/23/17 at 12:54 pm

TV and radio will die once the internet of things completely replace its need. I would say in 20-30 years, maybe even less.

People still have to go to work and to the store and do errands. You listen to the radio when you do these things.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/23/17 at 1:14 pm

People will still buy TV sets, though, right? We're just talking about TV as in the cable setup?

Written By: Howard on 05/23/17 at 3:28 pm

I believe this. Especially in professional capacities, radio is number in the police force, military, government agencies, etc.

I agree with that statement.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/17 at 3:29 pm

Are we allowed to save our old clock radios too? ???

Written By: John Titor on 05/23/17 at 6:53 pm

Are we allowed to save our old clock radios too? ???

8-P

Written By: Howard on 05/24/17 at 7:43 am

8-P

You don't like clock radios? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...