inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you noticing any changes in Top 40 music yet?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/17/17 at 7:14 pm

If not, when do you think it will change?

Subject: Re: Are you noticing any changes in Top 40 music yet?

Written By: musicguy93 on 05/17/17 at 8:30 pm

Nope still nothing. As to when things will change, it's hard to say. Perhaps we will see the first signs of change sometime around late 2017ish, though they probably won't be in full effect until 2019ish. That's my rough estimate.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/17/17 at 8:34 pm

It's still the same as ever, frankly. Like I stated recently in another thread, the charts are still dominated by musicians who were already popular in the mid-2010s, like Ed Sheeran, the Chainsmokers, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, and Bruno Mars. The dominant genres in music continue to be trap and downbeat EDM. Harry Styles going solo is the closest thing to a "shift" in popular music this year, but even so, it's not like he's really pushing any musical boundaries like Lady Gaga and Kesha did in 2009, or Lorde did in 2013.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/17/17 at 9:54 pm

Honestly? Don't expect real shifts until around Oct.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/17/17 at 9:59 pm

Didn't you create a thread very similar (if not, identical) to this only a few weeks ago? People have already offered their opinions as to what the current state of mainstream music is like and if/when we may see changes. But anyway, to answer your question...

No

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/17 at 10:51 pm

Honestly? Don't expect real shifts until around Oct.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/17/17 at 11:59 pm

Didn't you create a thread very similar (if not, identical) to this only a few weeks ago? People have already offered their opinions as to what the current state of mainstream music is like and if/when we may see changes. But anyway, to answer your question...

No

You know what? I think I did. I apologize. So, I will periodically update either this thread OR the other one just in case we DO see changes in the coming months.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/18/17 at 12:19 am

I don't notice a thing. I think it will change in late 2018 or 2019, when the last of the Millennials born in 2000 graduate.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/18/17 at 3:47 pm

Top 40's been annoying the entire decade but in terms of any real shift in sound, hardly.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/18/17 at 9:37 pm

If not, when do you think it will change?

What do you think the next big trend in music will be?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/18/17 at 11:07 pm

No and it won't change for a long time. Just expect the same stuff.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/19/17 at 11:18 pm

There's a new biggest hit in town! Guess what it is?...Oh, it's just another trap/downbeat EDM piece of sleaze with some guy wearing tattoos across his entire arm cockily requesting his h** to strip, thinking he's some sexual tyrannosaur. Oh yeah, there's a bit of chop-n-screw for bonus effect, too. Truly revolutionary, amirite? ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/20/17 at 2:42 pm

I wouldn't say music now is exactly the same as mid 2010s now, very similar though. But music kinda changed in 2016 and this sound, along with some other genres playing, will probably remain popular for the rest of the decade. The sound of music that we have now that hasn't been popular in the mid 2010s and started in 2016 is mainly dancehall and the vocal sampling effect on choruses (chopping up the singer's vocals and mixing it around like the "It ain't Me" song for example). This is very popular now and its what you hear mostly on the radio, but it didn't exist in 2015. Really the only thing that stayed exactly the same in music from the mid 2010s is trap, but I think it is starting to pass its peak already.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/21/17 at 11:34 pm

At least a lot of trap music has a good beat with good lyricists who make "dat azz bounce" in the clubs and such like Desiigner. 

Written By: muppethammer26 on 05/22/17 at 1:29 pm

I think trap music is becoming more outer space like

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/22/17 at 1:35 pm

Who's even considered the most popular artists right now in 2017 anyway? Is it still Justin Bieber? I haven't really followed this stuff that closely since the early '10s, so I really don't have a clue.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/17 at 1:40 pm

Biggest artists right now.

Drake, Edward Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Beyonce (although past her peak, is still popular), Adele, Lady Gaga (latest album was a hit, a comeback of some sorts), Taylor Swift (we'll see how her next album sells), Kendrick Lamar, and more.

Written By: 2001 on 05/22/17 at 2:08 pm

Drake, Edward Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Beyonce (although past her peak, is still popular), Adele, Lady Gaga (latest album was a hit, a comeback of some sorts), Taylor Swift (we'll see how her next album sells), Kendrick Lamar, and more.

Lady Gaga's last album didn't do that well. I'd put Lamar and Swift much higher on the list and I think that would be accurate. :)

You forgot the Chainsmokers and the Weeknd though!

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/17 at 2:33 pm

Lady Gaga's last album didn't do that well. I'd put Lamar and Swift much higher on the list and I think that would be accurate. :)

You forgot the Chainsmokers and the Weeknd though!

Her Joanne went Gold (1/2 million copies). Not great, but not bad. But yeah, others are bigger than her now.

And oh yeah, The Chainsmokers and The Weeknd are huge right now.  8)  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/17 at 2:43 pm

Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, and even Rihanna are not popular right now. And there is a bunch of other bands/artists who are even more popular than the other people you listed like DJ Khaled, Future, Alessia Cara, Selena Gomez, Chainsmokers, and more.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/22/17 at 2:51 pm

Harry Styles is also definitely a force to be reckoned with right now. His solo debut has sold excellently in its first week and spawned a huge hit in "Sign of the Times." He's quickly becoming the next Ronan Keating, who also got his start as a boyband singer from the British Isles but then became more of a pop soft rock singer upon going solo, yet lost none of the commercial momentum he established with his old crew.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/17 at 3:27 pm

I agree about Harry Styles. He's also one of the most sane celebrities I've ever seen too.....so far.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/17 at 3:28 pm

Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, and even Rihanna are not popular right now. And there is a bunch of other bands/artists who are even more popular than the other people you listed like DJ Khaled, Future, Alessia Cara, Selena Gomez, Chainsmokers, and more.

I was just listing out ideas, and suggestions.  :o

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/24/17 at 2:52 am

http://www.ariacharts.com.au/charts/singles-chart

The ARIA charts are predicting that Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" may re-enter into the Top-50 chart this weekend. I know that Chris Cornell was a massive figure in rock music (and popular music in general), but if "Black Hole Sun" does in fact re-enter the Top-50, I think it really emphasizes how much the music industry has declined over time. I don't mean to say that with any disrespect for Chris Cornell or Soundgarden, but the fact that a Soundgarden song released in 1994 could quite possibly be in next week's Top-50 is pretty alarming.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/24/17 at 1:52 pm

It's pointless

Written By: #Infinity on 05/24/17 at 1:53 pm

No point

Written By: 2001 on 05/24/17 at 6:42 pm

The ARIA charts are predicting that Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" may re-enter into the Top-50 chart this weekend. I know that Chris Cornell was a massive figure in rock music (and popular music in general), but if "Black Hole Sun" does in fact re-enter the Top-50, I think it really emphasizes how much the music industry has declined over time. I don't mean to say that with any disrespect for Chris Cornell or Soundgarden, but the fact that a Soundgarden song released in 1994 could quite possibly be in next week's Top-50 is pretty alarming.

I think that's pretty normal. I remember when Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston died, their songs were back on the charts.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/26/17 at 11:07 pm

Funny thing is, Soundgarden never had a top 40 hit to begin with as far as I know.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/27/17 at 2:07 am

Funny thing is, Soundgarden never had a top 40 hit to begin with as far as I know.

That's because during the 90s, several of the biggest rock songs were disqualified from entering the Billboard Hot 100 and thus only had their success reflected on the airplay charts. In that sense, however, "Black Hole Sun" was indeed a huge hit in 1994, having peaked at #9 on the Mainstream Top 40.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/27/17 at 2:11 am

That's because during the 90s, several of the biggest rock songs were disqualified from entering the Billboard Hot 100 and thus only had their success reflected on the airplay charts. In that sense, however, "Black Hole Sun" was indeed a huge hit in 1994, having peaked at #9 on the Mainstream Top 40.

That is a good point. I just found out that even Green Day's hits from Dookie didn't enter the hot 100 but got tons of success on the Airplay 100 and Mainstream Top 40 charts. It's still kinda funny to think that years after their peak and after Chris Cornell's death that Soundgarden might actually hit their highest spot on the billboard charts.

Written By: Fearsword on 05/27/17 at 4:31 am

It's back in the charts at no. 49

Written By: Howard on 05/27/17 at 5:08 am

really? not with "Black Hole Sun"? :o

Check for new replies or respond here...