inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fads/Challenges of the 2010s

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/20/17 at 1:41 pm

Since music, fashion, games, and even cinema has been discussed, how about the fads or challenges of this decade?

I'll start off.

2011: Planking. This was everywhere that year, and everyone who participated in it would lay down in unusual positions.

2012: Cinnamon challenge. I took part of this when it was popular, and it was awful! ;D

2014: Ice Bucket. People would pour water of over them either for fun, or for donation to the ALS disease.

What are some more?

Subject: Re: Fads/Challenges of the 2010s

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/20/17 at 1:46 pm

80s/90s rehashes
People getting offended over small things
Narcissism
Cynicism

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/20/17 at 1:54 pm

80s/90s rehashes
People getting offended over small things
Narcissism
Cynicism
Yes! There's too many of these.

Yeah, it sucks. People need to stop getting offended over small things. Just brush it off.

It's a big deal due to the rise of social media/smartphones.

Too much of that as well.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 4:49 pm

http://www.asseenontvandbeyond.com/assets/images/fidget-spinner-black.jpg
The Fidget Spinner

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/20/17 at 8:23 pm

http://www.asseenontvandbeyond.com/assets/images/fidget-spinner-black.jpg
The Fidget Spinner

Don't forget fidget cubes!

Written By: Howard on 05/21/17 at 5:01 am

Don't forget fidget cubes!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1586/4957/products/HTB1QRT4OpXXXXccapXXq6xXFXXXB_530x.jpg?v=1488121178
Is this it?  ???

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/21/17 at 12:48 pm

The Selfie (This blew up in 2014)
Twerking (2013)
The Kylie Jenner Lip challenge (2015)
Charlie Charlie Challenge (2015)

Written By: Howard on 05/21/17 at 4:54 pm

Twerking (2013)

What's The Charlie Charlie challenge? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/17 at 5:19 pm

Changing genders.

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/21/17 at 11:09 pm

Gangnam Style and the Harlem Shake, neither of which I partook in.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 12:52 am

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1586/4957/products/HTB1QRT4OpXXXXccapXXq6xXFXXXB_530x.jpg?v=1488121178
Is this it?  ???

That's a fidget cube!  :D

Twerking (2013)

Selfies started with digital cameras in the 2000s. If it's those dumb SnapChat filters you mean, that's tends trend!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/22/17 at 3:21 am

All of those trends were stupid and I never partook in any of them. That's one thing that I really don't like about the 2010s. Some idiot can come up with a stupid idea, share it on social media and then millions of people may see the idea and start doing the same thing. It's conformity at it's very worst!  8-P

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 3:26 am

All of those trends were stupid and I never partook in any of them. That's one thing that I really don't like about the 2010s. Some idiot can come up with a stupid idea, share it on social media and then millions of people may see the idea and start doing the same thing. It's conformity at it's very worst!  8-P

Neither did I. I don't get what's "cool" about embarrassing yourself for the sake of sharing it with the world.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/17 at 5:01 am

Changing genders.

I don't think you would call that a fad or a challenge.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/17 at 5:02 am

Neither did I. I don't get what's "cool" about embarrassing yourself for the sake of sharing it with the world.

that's the generation we live in now.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 5:14 am

I don't think you would call that a fad or a challenge.

It's a common trend to see online profiles state a person's gender now and what pronouns they use. Like for instance if they say they're gender fluid or agender and so forth.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/22/17 at 8:02 am

What's The Charlie Charlie challenge? ???

It's a game where you are trying to contact a spirit (supposedly known as charlie) I haven't done it as I don't agree with it. But I have heard of people doing it.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/23/17 at 3:16 am

It's a game where you are trying to contact a spirit (supposedly known as charlie) I haven't done it as I don't agree with it. But I have heard of people doing it.

Then wouldn't a ouija board do?

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/23/17 at 6:03 am

You would think so yeah haha

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/23/17 at 6:50 am

Twerking (2013)

1. The selfie is not a new trend. Ever since the first camera....people have been taken pictures of their own faces/heads. Also, even if you mean it in a modern sense....that started in the 2000s.

2. Twerking is not a trend. I can't believe the number of people who don't know that twerking comes from the Black community and is something Black women have done for decades. Only when some White female singers and rappers were doing it in the past few years did it become a "trend".

Written By: Howard on 05/23/17 at 3:33 pm

Aren't they the very same thing? ???

Written By: Setemstraight on 05/25/17 at 8:25 pm

I guess you can call the whole "what color is the dress" a fad in 2015.

Written By: 2001 on 05/25/17 at 8:57 pm

Amiibos, if you're a Nintendo fan. My friends camped out for some of those LOL.

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 05/28/17 at 7:22 pm

A description of standard fashion trends from 2013 - 2017 that I have witnessed:

Hair:

1940's Unercuts, boring slicked-back hair, unkempt hair, "the man-bun", the Miley Cyrus, the Dan TDM

Facial hair: Beards have been extremely popular since Drake's album in November 2011 where he began donning a beard, but beards are finally starting to go out of style in 2017. Goatees are starting to make a comeback, but mainly with the over-30 crowd in the 'burbs.

Most popular hairstyle for black people since 2012: The Twist Out

Shirts:

Plaid shirts, graphic shirts, concert shirts, faded faux vintage shirts from Target or Walmart, (Pepsi, "MTN Dew", Bazinga logo, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc.) Superhero shirts (Batman and Superman), Marvel shirts (Captain America and Green Lantern), aztec print (not so popular anymore, although it's still sold at Sears), blank tees with off-beat colors, free give-away shirts worn casually

Pants:

Skinny jeans, Nike taper leg sweatpants, cheap straight leg jeans, and occasionally plaid shorts, cargo pants and cargo shorts

Shoes: Black Nike Free Runs, copies of black Nike Free Runs from other brands, hideous neon running shoes, and occasionally classics like Converse and Vans

Hats:

Trucker hats, snapbacks with random colors, bucket hats and safari hats

Also, black fitted caps are back in style, usually accompanied with an all black outfit

Most popular brands:

Real Tree hats, shirts and hoodies (Lumbersexual fad), Outdoor Life plaid short sleeved shirts (Lumbersexual fad) Nike Benassi Swoosh slide sandals

Standard fashion for girls/women from 2013 - 2017:

Ombre hair (Dark brown hair dyed blonde on the bottom), hairbuns, occasional Sea Punk hair dye

Pants: Black leggings (sexual, controversial like sagging, bound to go out of style in the 2020's without a doubt)

Shoes: Black Nike Free Runs, hideous neon running shoes

-

Extras:

Dumb popular words and catchphrases:

Cancer, cringe, kill (insert noun, popularized by Filthy Frank), drink bleach (using suicide as a joke is very popular), "cash me outside how 'bout dah", etc..

Dumbest popular dance of the decade:

Dabbing

-

That's all I can think of right now. As you can tell, I'm not very fond of this decade and it's trends. Hopefully the 2020's will be cool. I'm almost certain a 00's revival will happen, as clothes are currently going from skinny to baggy again.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/28/17 at 7:30 pm

A description of standard fashion trends from 2013 - 2017 that I have witnessed:

Hair:

1940's Undercuts, boring slicked-back hair, unkempt hair, "the man-bun", the Miley Cyrus, the Dan TDM

Facial Hair: Beards have been extremely popular since Drake's album in November 2011 where he began donning a beard, but beards are finally starting to go out of style in 2017. Goatees are starting to make a comeback, but mainly with the over-30 crowd in the 'burbs.

Most popular hairstyle for black people since 2012: The Twist Out

Shirts:

Plaid shirts, graphic shirts, concert shirts, faded faux vintage shirts from Target or Walmart, (Pepsi, "MTN Dew", Bazinga Logo, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc.) Superhero shirts (Batman and Superman), Marvel shirts (Captain America and Green Lantern), Aztec print (not so popular anymore, although it's still sold at Sears), blank tees with off-beat colors, free give-away shirts worn casually

Pants:

Skinny jeans, Nike taper leg sweatpants, cheap straight leg jeans, and occasionally plaid shorts, cargo pants and cargo shorts

Shoes: Black Nike Free Runs, copies of black Nike Free Runs from other brands, hideous neon running shoes, and occasionally classics like Converse and Vans

Hats:

Trucker hats, snapbacks with random colors, bucket hats and safari hats

Also, black fitted caps are back in style, usually accompanied with an all black outfit

Most popular brands:

Real Tree hats, shirts, and hoodies (Lumbersexual fad), Outdoor Life plaid short sleeved shirts (Lumbersexual fad) Nike Benassi Swoosh Slide Sandals

Standard fashion for girls/women from 2013 - 2017:

Ombre hair (Dark brown hair dyed blonde on the bottom), hair buns, occasional Sea Punk hair dye

Pants: Black leggings (sexual, controversial like sagging, bound to go out of style in the 2020's without a doubt)

Shoes: Black Nike Free Runs, hideous neon running shoes

-

Extras:

Dumb popular words and catchphrases:

Cancer, cringe, kill (insert noun, popularized by Filthy Frank), drink bleach (using suicide as a joke is very popular), "cash me outside how 'bout dah", etc..

Dumbest popular dance of the decade:

Dabbing

-

That's all I can think of right now. As you can tell, I'm not very fond of this decade and its trends. Hopefully, the 2020's will be cool. I'm almost certain a 00's revival will happen, as clothes are currently going from skinny to baggy again.
Your analysis on fashion is well done. I don't think anyone has listed all the popular gear throughout the decade. Oh, and I agree! I actually gave this era a chance, and there's not much that I enjoy.

Check for new replies or respond here...