inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do really young people think life ends at 30?

Written By: Brian06 on 05/21/17 at 3:34 am

It's something I've noticed really young people think you're all done for once you're 30. Your priorities do change when you enter your 30s and you have more perspective, but you're still pretty young too. I admit I'm more picky at 30 than I was 18, but that doesn't mean you can't like anything. You don't instantly become some uncool uptight adult at 30 or 40 like the kids think you do, you can like anything at any age. The truth that kids don't know is adults in general are just a bunch of big kids in general, when you hit 30 you realize that. Yeah your most formative years are teens and 20s, but that doesn't mean you can't like some things at 30, 40, 50 or even older. You may be more selective of course, but that doesn't mean you don't like anything. Now that I'm 30 I realize that and I think the 18 year olds need to realize that.

Subject: Re: Why do really young people think life ends at 30?

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/17 at 6:30 pm

I think they think that because their parents are 30 years older than them, and parents is a benchmark for old.

Also, my then 7 year old sister thought I was old when I was 20, and she wasn't even trolling.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/17 at 9:34 pm

Young people aren't always 100% clear in the head.  :-X  :-X
People's brains aren't 100% developed until they're 25, and I'd give them until 30 for any small things in the brain to 'tie up loose ends'. 

Honestly, to me, life doesn't even start until 30. Welcome to REAL adulthood, man!  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/17 at 11:39 pm

People's brains aren't 100% developed until they're 25, and I'd give them until 30 for any small things in the brain to 'tie up loose ends'. 

Honestly, to me, life doesn't even start until 30. Welcome to REAL adulthood, man!  8)

Thanks for the hope bro! Maybe I won't be so messed up all my life.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/21/17 at 11:42 pm

30 isn't that old to be honest. My sister is turning 30 next year and even though she is a good bit older than me I never really saw her as super old so it's not a big deal really. I just feel like life will be very different once I reach 30 and it really does seem like it will be forever until I reach 30 but in reality, it is only 8 years away.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/17 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for the hope bro! Maybe I won't be so messed up all my life.  8)

You're only like 22.  :D  :D

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 1:01 am

It's something I've noticed really young people think you're all done for once you're 30. Your priorities do change when you enter your 30s and you have more perspective, but you're still pretty young too. I admit I'm more picky at 30 than I was 18, but that doesn't mean you can't like anything. You don't instantly become some uncool uptight adult at 30 or 40 like the kids think you do, you can like anything at any age. The truth that kids don't know is adults in general are just a bunch of big kids in general, when you hit 30 you realize that. Yeah your most formative years are teens and 20s, but that doesn't mean you can't like some things at 30, 40, 50 or even older. You may be more selective of course, but that doesn't mean you don't like anything. Now that I'm 30 I realize that and I think the 18 year olds need to realize that.

Eh, you're as old as you feel. Age sometimes is just a number. I know middle aged people in their forties and fifties who are very young at heart. The idea of what's old is relative. Teens of course think 30 and up is old because of how far away it seems to them. Tastes change over the years, perspective changes, no way does it mean you've got to suddenly become a no fun stick in the mud once you hit some number.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/22/17 at 1:25 am

I promise when I'm 30, I'm gonna act even younger than I am now!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/22/17 at 2:01 am

The truth that kids don't know is adults in general are just a bunch of big kids in general

I came to that realization when I was 17, shortly after I progressed off my Learners Licence in May 2016. Since being able to drive by myself, I've had much more encounters with other people in day to day life. I soon realized that age does not define how adults act. You could be 40 years old and still be as immature as a 16 or 17 year old. Age does not necessarily equate to maturity and turning 18 suddenly doesn't make you a completely different person to how you were before being of legal age. In all honesty, I don't feel any different to when I was 15. I'm still just as cynical about life. :P

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 3:28 am

I came to that realization when I was 17, shortly after I progressed off my Learners Licence in May 2016. Since being able to drive by myself, I've had much more encounters with other people in day to day life. I soon realized that age does not define how adults act. You could be 40 years old and still be as immature as a 16 or 17 year old. Age does not necessarily equate to maturity and turning 18 suddenly doesn't make you a completely different person to how you were before being of legal age. In all honesty, I don't feel any different to when I was 15. I'm still just as cynical about life. :P

People also need to stop acting like 18 is a magical number where people automatically change the second they turn that age.  ::) That's not how the human brain works.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/17 at 5:00 am

I was 30, 13 years ago.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 5:01 am

I was 30, 13 years ago.

I was 30 2 years ago.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/17 at 11:05 am

I really think the most "stimulating" time of your life is from ages 18 to 25, during college and your first few years after graduation.  You are old enough to have freedom but you are young enough to not have a lot of responsibilities, like marriages, kids, a mortgage, etc.  At 18-25, you are discovering yourself and experimenting with things.  30 seems like an eternity away when you are that age.  Also, pop culture for the most part is primarily targeted to the 18-25 age group.

At 30, most people are more confident and stable and that has its advantages, but life is also a lot more boring and routine.  Once you are established it's much more difficult to make significant changes to improve your life when you are in your late twenties and 30s than it is when you are in the 18-25 group. I think that is a big part of it.

Also, in terms of physical attractiveness, most people peak in the 18-25 age range and slowly decline after that.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/22/17 at 11:28 am

I think it's just because 30 seems so far away when you're younger. I thought 30 was old when I was 18 because that was still 12 year away. Back then you were talking about 1975ers turning 30. These were people that were teenagers in the '80s. They seemed ancient to me as an 18-year-old. Now I obviously have a very different view!

Also, my then 7 year old sister thought I was old when I was 20, and she wasn't even trolling.

I can see that. Most 7-year-olds think that 5th graders are old, so you probably seemed practically middle-aged at 20.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/17 at 5:03 pm

Life begins at 30, then it's up to you to know what you want to do in your late 30's and early 40's.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/22/17 at 9:01 pm

Also, in terms of physical attractiveness, most people peak in the 18-25 age range and slowly decline after that.

I don't know I sorta prefer a real woman in her late 20s or 30s rather than the 18 year old girls a lot of times, I mean some people do let themselves go and they already look not that great at 30 but in a lot of cases I prefer the 30 somethings. The 18 year old faces I think are just too child like still a lot of times imo and that goes for men and women.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/22/17 at 10:03 pm

Yeah I agree that life really starts at 30, that's my real point with this topic. I like being in my 30s.  8)

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/23/17 at 3:21 am

I don't know I sorta prefer a real woman in her late 20s or 30s rather than the 18 year old girls a lot of times, I mean some people do let themselves go and they already look not that great at 30 but in a lot of cases I prefer the 30 somethings. The 18 year old faces I think are just too child like still a lot of times imo and that goes for men and women.

18 year olds in general look waaayyy too young, even when I was 18 I thought so. Lots of people don't "blossom" until they're further into their 20 and 30 somethings. I've always preferred men to boys, babyfaced guys in their 20's just don't appeal. Child like is the exact word for it.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/23/17 at 3:30 am

18 year olds in general look waaayyy too young, even when I was 18 I thought so. Lots of people don't "blossom" until they're further into their 20 and 30 somethings. I've always preferred men to boys, babyfaced guys in their 20's just don't appeal. Child like is the exact word for it.

Agreed.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/25/17 at 11:14 pm

I thought that way when I actually hit 30 years old and now that I'm hitting 41 in September it makes hitting 31 seem tame.  LOL! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: gibbo on 05/26/17 at 12:47 am

You don't get less or more 'cool'.  It's just that (if you have teenagers), they do not want to identify with stuff older people like. They might like the same things when with you ... but not in front of their friends. Image and acceptance is everything...

Written By: Howard on 05/26/17 at 3:31 pm

I thought that way when I actually hit 30 years old and now that I'm hitting 41 in September it makes hitting 31 seem tame.  LOL! ;D ;D ;D

You're almost middle-aged.  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/26/17 at 6:25 pm

You're almost middle-aged.  :o

True.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...