inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Every song sounds like it's by The Chainsmokers

Written By: 2001 on 05/24/17 at 9:14 pm

Katy Perry's "Swish Swish Bish" came out and while it's a catchy song, it, along with he previous single Bon Appétit sound like she's featuring in some Chainsmokers single. It's not even just her, Lady Gaga's The Cure is the exact same thing. Same with Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Alessia Cara etc. Practically every other song.

"Wow this song sounds almost exactly like what I just listen to before, just what I wanted!" says who?!  :-X People have to be getting bored of this.

And this video finished The Chainsmokers. It's unsustainable.

wyydWaVyJB8

Subject: Re: Every song sounds like it's by The Chainsmokers

Written By: #Infinity on 05/24/17 at 9:34 pm

Alas, this just furthers my point; the mid-late 2010s really are a musical retread of the early 1960s, not because of Meghan Trainor but rather due to the sore lack of originality. Back during the first few years of the 1960s, it felt like almost every big hit was a minor variation of the exact same song, rehashed ad nauseam, with little to no genre variety to balance the formula out. Sure, after 1962, there was roughly a half century of creative flourishing on the charts, but now we seem to have fallen back to square one, just with a more modern formula to rinse and repeat.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/17 at 9:49 pm

All music sounds the same to me since like the mid-00's!  8-P  8-P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/24/17 at 10:27 pm

The lack of variety is really apparent and it amazes me how so many people appear to be satisfied with the current state of Top-40 music. Pretty much all of the EDM and trap songs sound exactly the same. It's not something that's unique to be the US either. You could easily mistake a lot of the Top-40 songs coming out of the UK as being something by The Chainsmokers or the other ilk. The same can be said about Australian music as well...take a listen to these songs;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyPkpXZNbK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KPnyf8vwXI

They sound exactly like all of the other crap on Top 40 radio. There's no variety, whatsoever.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/25/17 at 2:13 am

I don't listen to mainstream music myself except when I turn on the radio in my car I usually can't stand what they play.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 05/25/17 at 5:10 am

I don't listen to mainstream music myself except when I turn on the radio in my car I usually can't stand what they play.  8-P

So you listen to the oldies? ???

Written By: aspireone on 05/25/17 at 8:28 am

The lack of variety is really apparent and it amazes me how so many people appear to be satisfied with the current state of Top-40 music. Pretty much all of the EDM and trap songs sound exactly the same. It's not something that's unique to be the US either. You could easily mistake a lot of the Top-40 songs coming out of the UK as being something by The Chainsmokers or the other ilk. The same can be said about Australian music as well...take a listen to these songs;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyPkpXZNbK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KPnyf8vwXI

They sound exactly like all of the other crap on Top 40 radio. There's no variety, whatsoever.

Sure ,  today's music trend is to be moody and depressing. It's pretty normal songs within a period to sound similar due to trends but, It's very hyperbolic to say that all top sound the same ( pretty much the only people who say this are those who don't really listen to much radio)

You tellin me that Bruno Mars' early 80s - 90s flavored songs sound exactly like Kendrick's rap music which sound exactly like The Weeknd's Daft Punk produced pop which sound exactly like Ed sheeran's attempt at being sexual which sound exactly like Clear Bandit's story of prostitution etc....?

Ok sure, these do have commonalities, but I'll take that instead of the dullness we had to go through in the mid 00s.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/25/17 at 9:08 am

Sure ,  today's music trend is to be moody and depressing. It's pretty normal songs within a period to sound similar due to trends but, It's very hyperbolic to say that all top sound the same ( pretty much the only people who say this are those who don't really listen to much radio)

You tellin me that Bruno Mars' early 80s - 90s flavored songs sound exactly like Kendrick's rap music which sound exactly like The Weeknd's Daft Punk produced pop which sound exactly like Ed sheeran's attempt at being sexual which sound exactly like Clear Bandit's story of prostitution etc....?

Ok sure, these do have commonalities, but I'll take that instead of the dullness we had to go through in the mid 00s.

Most of those songs are pretty much to now what novelties like "Limbo Rock," "Telstar," "Let's Get Together," and "Theme from A Summer Place" were to the early 1960s. When you evaluate the current era of music as a whole, it's still depressingly formulaic and repetitive.

I also wouldn't call Ed Sheeran selling out to horny teens an example of how "diverse" 2017 is for music.

Written By: aspireone on 05/25/17 at 11:49 am

Most of those songs are pretty much to now what novelties like "Limbo Rock," "Telstar," "Let's Get Together," and "Theme from A Summer Place" were to the early 1960s. When you evaluate the current era of music as a whole, it's still depressingly formulaic and repetitive.

I also wouldn't call Ed Sheeran selling out to horny teens an example of how "diverse" 2017 is for music.

You comparing the novelty-ridden weirdness of the early 60s with Bruno Mars?
Songs like 2013's "The Fox" or 2005's "Axel F" would be more appropriate comparisons

And how is mid 10s music more formulaic and repetetive compared to say the disco-infected late 70s?

As for Ed sheeran, well what other billboard top 20 artist do we have that serve Folky music?
*crickets

Written By: #Infinity on 05/25/17 at 11:59 am

You comparing the novelty-ridden weirdness of the early 60s with Bruno Mars?
Songs like 2013's "The Fox" or 2005's "Axel F" would be more appropriate comparisons

The comparison is based on the fact that they're the only types of songs that can be considered original in any way, as opposed to the majority of hits that essentially sound like the exact same song with minor tweaks.

And how is mid 00s music more formulaic and repetetive compared to say the disco-infected late 70s?

When did I ever claim it was? But for the record, say what you want about late 70s disco, but at least every song had an original compositional identity and wasn't just a predictable 8 or 12 bar blues.

As for Ed sheeran, well what other billboard top 20 artist do we have that serve Folky music?
*crickets

He has changed since his first album and is increasingly becoming just another mediocre modern pop artist, just disguised as a white guy with acoustic guitar.

Written By: gibbo on 05/25/17 at 10:25 pm

I heard that 'I've Got Issues' (Selena Gomez) song the other day. Talk about trying too hard to be different!  Worst song and lyric I've possibly ever heard. It demonstrates everything wrong with today's popular music...

Written By: Slim95 on 05/25/17 at 10:27 pm

I heard that 'I've Got Issues' (Selena Gomez) song the other day. Talk about trying too hard to be different!  Worst song and lyric I've possibly ever heard. It demonstrates everything wrong with today's popular music...

Issues is by Julia Michaels, not Selena Gomez. I agree I don't like that song.

Written By: gibbo on 05/25/17 at 10:35 pm

Issues is by Julia Michaels, not Selena Gomez. I agree I don't like that song.

Thanks ... I didn't know for sure. I quickly looked up Youtube and it was titled Selena Gomez (featuring Julia Michaels). Gomez must have been so impressed she did her own cover.  Sad really ...

Looks like Michaels is the songwriter for Bieber and Gomez. She's doing a "Sia" and trying her hand at being in the spotlight herself.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/17 at 10:38 pm

The song is a 'try hard'. 8-P  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/17 at 10:56 pm

In 2002, every song sounded like a Jennifer Lopez song, with a rapper in it. Or Ashanti.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/26/17 at 12:36 am

In 2002, every song sounded like a Jennifer Lopez song, with a rapper in it. Or Ashanti.

Or a Nickelback song....

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/17 at 12:39 am

Or a Nickelback song....

Yes, that too.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/27/17 at 12:46 am

It's true. All these singers would rather rip off plebeian artists like Chainsmokers with 0 ounces of talent because it's easy and they know it will be impossible to ever reach the amount of genius that Pitbull possesses.

Check for new replies or respond here...