inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are the most messed-up adaptations of books?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 8:20 pm

The Series of Unfortunate Events series on Netflix, as well as the Captain Underpants movie, coming out - both look pretty good for adaptations - has got me thinking this. What are the movie/show adaptations you've seen that completely miss the point of the books on which they are based?

Subject: Re: What are the most messed-up adaptations of books?

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/17 at 9:04 pm

Pfft Zelek who reads books? What are you, a nerd? The only book I need is Facebook.

The answer is The Great Gatsby. It concentrated a lot on the partying, but I don't think that was the only important part of it.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/29/17 at 1:30 pm

One that I can think of is the Wayside School tv show from 2005. The Wayside books were wacky in an abstract, mysterious way, a la Twin Peaks or Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, and really captured my imagination when my teacher read them to us in 4th grade. But this show on the other hand was wacky in a generic lolrandom way.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/17 at 3:45 pm

"Cheaper By The Dozen" with Steve Martin was nothing at all like the book. Low-rent cheap "remake".

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/17 at 9:51 pm

"Cheaper By The Dozen" with Steve Martin was nothing at all like the book. Low-rent cheap "remake".

That movie had a great soundtrack though.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/29/17 at 9:57 pm

Wasn't there a book about a girl who killed people with telekinesis?? It's Matilda, I think! She was only a little girl though.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/matilda_movie_1616.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...