inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody miss raunchy young adult comedies?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/05/17 at 5:46 pm

I am thinking of movies like Superbad, Borat, Bruno, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Grandma's Boy, Idiocracy, anything with early Steve Carell, etc.  These movies dominated the '00s, especially if you were a teenager or a twentysomething.  They started to fall out of favor in the early '10s and so far this decade has been completely dominated by superhero movies, science fiction/dystopian young adult films, reboots of 1990s classics, and action-comedies.  Today's young adult comedies i.e. Neighbors, don't stack up in comparison to these '00s classics.  Why do you think raunchy young-adult movies fell out of favor this decade?

Subject: Re: Does anybody miss raunchy young adult comedies?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/17 at 5:50 pm

Let's not forget the classic, "Booty Call".  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 06/05/17 at 6:02 pm

Let's not forget the classic, "Booty Call".  ;D

Or Office Space, or Road Trip, or Dude, Where's My Car.  They don't make movies like that anymore.

Written By: 2001 on 06/05/17 at 6:19 pm

Would Hangover and 21 Jump Street belong in this category?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/05/17 at 6:24 pm

Would Hangover and 21 Jump Street belong in this category?

The Hangover would without a doubt.  21 Jump Street is more of an action-comedy and is quite '10s, but it also has some of these elements to it.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/05/17 at 6:29 pm

This is why I'm anticipated for Last Friday. It was confirmed by Ice Cube weeks ago to be in the works.

Lets see some change.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/05/17 at 7:04 pm

This is why I'm anticipated for Last Friday. It was confirmed by Ice Cube weeks ago to be in the works.

Lets see some change.

Oh sh*t....that's great and I can't wait for Last Friday.

However, I wouldn't call that a young adult comedy because Ice Cube is 47 years old (turning 48 on June 15) and whether it's Mike Epps (currently 46, turning 47 in November) or Chris Tucker (currently 45, turning 46 in August) that returns....it's just not a young adult comedy.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/05/17 at 7:06 pm

Personally, I have never cared for young adult comedies. Out of that list only Borat and H & K I actually like. Most young adult comedies are just plain dumb and unfunny (to me at least :-X).

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/05/17 at 8:39 pm

How about Disaster Movie? I thought it was pretty hilarious when I was 14.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/17 at 8:44 pm

Score one point for the 00's.  8)  8)  8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/05/17 at 8:48 pm

Never liked those kinds of comedies. Except maybe Borat.

Also, FunkSoulBrother, could you respond to the personal message I sent you?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/05/17 at 9:01 pm

Yeah, I miss them. I really enjoyed these comedies a lot, and hope they make a return one day. I think the reason these declined this decade most likely has to do with that these films targeted Millennials, and that most of them are out now of that range. (not trying to start a debate). Another could be that they were overexposed, and Hollywood needed a break from them.

Oh, sh*t....that's great and I can't wait for Last Friday.
Same here. The first three were fantastic! :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/05/17 at 9:06 pm

Never liked those kinds of comedies. Except maybe Borat.

I agree....I also find Harold and Kumar GTWC to be decent. Otherwise, I don't like them.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/05/17 at 10:31 pm

Oh sh*t....that's great and I can't wait for Last Friday.

However, I wouldn't call that a young adult comedy because Ice Cube is 47 years old (turning 48 on June 15) and whether it's Mike Epps (currently 46, turning 47 in November) or Chris Tucker (currently 45, turning 46 in August) that returns....it's just not a young adult comedy.

It may not be targeted to the young adult demographic but it can still appeal to the same name. Friday is one of those exceptions and will continue to have that quirkiness to it.

Really, Friday is for all ages below 60. Haha

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/05/17 at 10:36 pm

It may not be targeted to the young adult demographic but it can still appeal to the same name. Friday is one of those exceptions and will continue to have that quirkiness to it.

Really, Friday is for all ages below 60. Haha

The first 3 Friday movies were young adult comedies (especially the original 1995 film). Last Friday is going to be just your average hood comedy and regular comedy film.

You're right though that the Friday movies are for anyone under 60, lol.

Written By: Bab2781 on 06/06/17 at 12:58 am

One of my favorites was American Pie. That's such a classic teen movie.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/06/17 at 1:09 am

I loved the first two!  ;D  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 06/06/17 at 1:22 am

Yeah, I miss them. I really enjoyed these comedies a lot, and hope they make a return one day. I think the reason these declined this decade most likely has to do with that these films targeted Millennials, and that most of them are out now of that range. (not trying to start a debate). Another could be that they were overexposed, and Hollywood needed a break from them.
Same here. The first three were fantastic! :)

I think you have a point here.  I would say the primary target audience for those types of movies is generally ages 16-25.  To me, they really capture what life is like at that age.  The youngest Millennials are at the upper end of that demographic.  With that in mind, maybe its nice to not have the genre butchered by the Plurals like they butchered electropop and turned it into Ariana Grande.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/17 at 6:53 am

I loved the original American Pie.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/17 at 6:55 am

I think it started in the 90's and 00's when they had really raunchy adult comedies but I think there's a different audience nowadays.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/06/17 at 7:09 am

I loved the ones that came out between 1998-2002 with movies like Can't Hardly Wait, American Pie, Van Wilder and Road Trip but once sh!t like Euro Trip started to come out, it got tired quick. Don't even get me started on those American Pie spin offs!

The 80's were the best decade for raunchy teen comedies, though. Nothing will ever touch Porky's or Fast Times.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/17 at 7:24 am

I loved the ones that came out between 1998-2002 with movies like Can't Hardly Wait, American Pie, Van Wilder and Road Trip but once sh!t like Euro Trip started to come out, it got tired quick. Don't even get me started on those American Pie spin offs!

The 80's were the best decade for raunchy teen comedies, though. Nothing will ever touch Porky's or Fast Times.

don't forget Revenge Of The Nerds.

Written By: Bab2781 on 06/06/17 at 8:25 am

Another one of my favorites was The Last American Virgin. Not only did it come out the same year as Fast Times it was also similar. But Virgin had the better ending. Hell it was one of the most shocking endings i've ever seen.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/06/17 at 12:16 pm

I liked the original Road Trip as well as Road Trip: Beer Pong.  I didn't really like Euro Trip that well.  I would say 1999-2009 was the golden age of the genre.  It began with American Pie and ended with The Hangover.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/06/17 at 1:07 pm

I think what I miss the most are movies that reflect the times without a fantastical or sci-fi element. Seriously...where are the 2010s Empire Records, Friday, Clueless, Superbad, Mean Girls, etc?

Written By: Howard on 06/06/17 at 2:06 pm

I miss the times when the jocks would make fun of the hot women and then you had some hot women in bikinis too.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/17 at 2:58 am

YES I love these movies. Superbad is a classic and the Hangover... frickin' hilarious! Yeah these styles of movies were definitely popular around the mid and late 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/07/17 at 3:00 am

You make a good point though, you really don't see these movies out that often. It feels like every movie is sci-fi, or the occasional rom com or drama, which is okay too, I appreciate and enjoy Sci-Fi movies. But it feels like there are no more teen and young adult movies that just talk about life, or at least not any that are good and funny.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/07/17 at 5:19 am

I loved the original American Pie.

Speaking of stuff like that, have you ever seen Wet Hot American Summer?  ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/07/17 at 7:28 am

Speaking of stuff like that, have you ever seen Wet Hot American Summer?  ;)

Was that 80's? ???

Written By: bchris02 on 06/07/17 at 1:06 pm

You make a good point though, you really don't see these movies out that often. It feels like every movie is sci-fi, or the occasional rom com or drama, which is okay too, I appreciate and enjoy Sci-Fi movies. But it feels like there are no more teen and young adult movies that just talk about life, or at least not any that are good and funny.

I agree.  I like Sci-Fi as much as the next guy, but it seems like most movies today are either Sci-Fi, superhero movies, dystopian fiction, or a reboot of a '90s or early '00s classic.  The Mummy is getting a reboot?  Really?  The original wasn't very good and I have no desire to see the reboot.

I think our movies today are part of the reason why the culture of the current era is lacking the carefree, lighthearted attitude many people say they miss about the '00s and early '10s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/07/17 at 2:06 pm

Brendan Fraser was better in Encino Man than in The Mummy.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/17 at 2:22 pm

I agree.  I like Sci-Fi as much as the next guy, but it seems like most movies today are either Sci-Fi, superhero movies, dystopian fiction, or a reboot of a '90s or early '00s classic.  The Mummy is getting a reboot?  Really?  The original wasn't very good and I have no desire to see the reboot.

I think our movies today are part of the reason why the culture of the current era is lacking the carefree, lighthearted attitude many people say they miss about the '00s and early '10s.

this generation is too PC.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/17 at 2:26 pm

What about Just One of The Guys?
http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/8891/p8891_p_v8_aa.jpg

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 12:32 am

this generation is too PC.

Eh. At least we're not the generation that got offended by gays or interracial couples kissing. I'll keep that instead of the non-pcness of 80s movies.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/08/17 at 10:02 am

I believe the 80's were past the whole getting offended at interracial couples thing.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 10:41 am

I believe the 80's were past the whole getting offended at interracial couples thing.

Most white Americans didn't even approve of interracial marriage until the early 90s.

And that was a slight majority btw.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/08/17 at 10:45 am

They just take sex for granted, like everybody does it and can laugh about it. It's a club I'll never be a part of because I'm so unlikeable.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 10:57 am

Agreed. Not a lot of people got riled up over race by the time the 80s came around. Hell, that's even when my parents started dating (I'm mixed-race btw).

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 11:01 am

Agreed. Not a lot of people got riled up over race by the time the 80s came around. Hell, that's even when my parents started dating (I'm mixed-race btw).

My grandmother is half white, half black...people must have been accepting of interracial relationships in the 30s, then. :P

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/08/17 at 11:07 am

Most white Americans didn't even approve of interracial marriage until the early 90s.

And that was a slight majority btw.

Source?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 11:09 am

My grandmother is half white, half black...people must have been accepting of interracial relationships in the 30s, then. :P

I don't know about you, but I don't think a lot of people back in the 1930s supported interracial marriage. Your grandmother probably got away from it for some reason, in which I do not know how.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 11:12 am

Source?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163697/approve-marriage-blacks-whites.aspx

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 11:15 am

I don't know about you, but I don't think a lot of people back in the 1930s supported interracial marriage. Your grandmother probably got away from it for some reason, in which I do not know how.

I was being a sarcastic jerk. My point was that the existence of people with mixed ancestry doesn't mean society approves of mixed pairings.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/08/17 at 11:16 am

According to this it was still under 50% in 1994/1995! Pretty crazy.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 11:22 am

According to this it was still under 50% in 1994/1995! Pretty crazy.

Yeah. I realized not only was I wrong...but that it was worse than I thought. lol

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 11:31 am

There was a big turnaround during the 90s. There was a PCness movement and backlash back then, too. Another observation, I remember feeling like most white people I met felt disdain or disinterest for rap and hip-hop. It's so different now. I kinda miss white people not being into rap.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/17 at 12:01 pm

I kinda miss white people not being into rap.

Why do you care about what race of people listens to a genre of music? Why would you miss that? Should I stop listening to rap to make you feel better?  ???

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 12:14 pm

There was a big turnaround during the 90s. There was a PCness movement and backlash back then, too. Another observation, I remember feeling like most white people I met felt disdain or disinterest for rap and hip-hop. It's so different now. I kinda miss white people not being into rap.

White people were always into rap. Especially when we had rappers such as Vanilla Ice and Eminem.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 12:18 pm

Why do you care about what race of people listens to a genre of music? Why would you miss that? Should I stop listening to rap to make you feel better?  ???

Dude, I'm being cheeky. I need to stop joking on the internet.  :-X

I have no problem with white people listening to rap. I just think there's a chance White acceptance of rap has inadvertently submerged other musical genres. I like other genres. Although I identify as black...rap was never my favorite genre. As a kid, I was mainly into RnB before I branched off into rock.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 12:23 pm

White people were always into rap. Especially when we had rappers such as Vanilla Ice and Eminem.

I'm not saying all white people were against rap...I'm just saying there was still a nice amount of white resistance against rap while I was growing up. As a black kid growing up during the 90s, most of the white people I knew who talked about music found rap to be full of nothing but bitches, hoes, and violence. They thought it was gutter music.

I'm not trying to trash white people or separate people. I'm just saying...these are my experiences and dem the facts.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/08/17 at 12:27 pm

I was not able to load the link. However, I'm guessing the approval ratting of interracial marriage is based on the country as a whole. If that's the case, you have to realize that there are still many parts of the country that don't approve of interracial marriage, even within this decade. No offense but I think you give the 2010s way too much credit. Contrary to popular belief, the 2010s are NOT the "most progressive decade evaaarr!". Heck I'd argue that race relations as a whole are even worse in the 2010s than they were in the 90s and 2000s. The influence of identity politics in this decade have actually pushed society backwards.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 12:30 pm

I was not able to load the link. However, I'm guessing the approval ratting of interracial marriage is based on the country as a whole. If that's the case, you have to realize that there are many parts of the country that don't approve of interracial marriage, even within this decade. No offense but I think you give the 2010s way too much credit. Contrary to popular belief, the 2010s are NOT the "most progressive decade evaaarr!". Heck I'd argue that race relations are even worse in the 2010s than they were in the 90s and 2000s. The influence of identity politics in this decade have actually pushed society backwards.

Yeah, the South (in most states) aren't too keen on interracial marriage/couples. Especially since they put too much emphasis on white people defending themselves from "non-whites". But with how many Trump supporters who believe in a lot of anti-Semitic agenda, it's simply bad on how relations within other races are turning for the worst. I'm not sure about New York City, but it's not going as bad as other areas in the country.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 12:41 pm

I was not able to load the link. However, I'm guessing the approval ratting of interracial marriage is based on the country as a whole. If that's the case, you have to realize that there are still many parts of the country that don't approve of interracial marriage, even within this decade. No offense but I think you give the 2010s way too much credit. Contrary to popular belief, the 2010s are NOT the "most progressive decade evaaarr!". Heck I'd argue that race relations as a whole are even worse in the 2010s than they were in the 90s and 2000s. The influence of identity politics in this decade have actually pushed society backwards.

hmm...I don't how to fix that link.

I'm not trying to say this decade is progressive and amazeballs and everything is honkey dory. I was trying to show people that the 90s were more conservative than people remember. How people felt about black men then is how people feel about black men now...and that's the fking problem ("black men have a higher crime rate than so and so, therefore it's okay to have an itchy trigger finger around them").

We're obviously in a decade of upheaval but I think we might end up better for it. Go read MLK's hate mail. So many white people blamed him and the civil rights movement for "dividing the races" and "turning blacks against whites". Sometimes we gotta fight in order to better ourselves.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/08/17 at 12:42 pm

I have no problem with white people listening to rap. I just think there's a chance White acceptance of rap has inadvertently submerged other musical genres. I like other genres. Although I identify as black...rap was never my favorite genre. As a kid, I was mainly into RnB before I branched off into rock.

That signals that you're feeling more comfortable around the people on this website.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/08/17 at 1:12 pm

Eh. At least we're not the generation that got offended by gays or interracial couples kissing. I'll keep that instead of the non-pcness of 80s movies.

That's what they didn't have back then.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/17 at 1:13 pm

teen comedies talked discussed and thought about sex.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/08/17 at 1:30 pm

Yeah. I realized not only was I wrong...but that it was worse than I thought. lol

Shocked me, too! I'd say you're right about people being more conservative in the 90's than most remember. Really, the first half of the 90's is such a totally different time than today (or even compared to a year like 1999) it's not even funny.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 2:02 pm

Shocked me, too! I'd say you're right about people being more conservative in the 90's than most remember. Really, the first half of the 90's is such a totally different time than today (or even compared to a year like 1999) it's not even funny.

DEFINITELY. I know exactly what you mean. I think that's why I am kind of attracted to the vaporwave a e s t h e t i c s. It reminds me of the weird period during the late 80s - early 90s. As a millennial, I feel lucky that I got to consciously experience it.

Written By: 2001 on 06/08/17 at 2:06 pm

They just take sex for granted, like everybody does it and can laugh about it. It's a club I'll never be a part of because I'm so unlikeable.

If you just want casual sex, there are hookup apps. If you live in a big city there are a lot of horny people. :-X

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/08/17 at 2:17 pm

DEFINITELY. I know exactly what you mean. I think that's why I am kind of attracted to the vaporwave a e s t h e t i c s. It reminds me of the weird period during the late 80s - early 90s. As a millennial, I feel lucky that I got to consciously experience it.

Oh, totally. I wish I was a lot older during the mid 80's-early 90's so I could have fully experienced them and not just had seen things through a child's eyes.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/17 at 2:36 pm

Ah okay, I've been pretty bad at reading jokes lately.  :-\\

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/08/17 at 3:26 pm

I think you have a point here.  I would say the primary target audience for those types of movies is generally ages 16-25.  To me, they really capture what life is like at that age.  The youngest Millennials are at the upper end of that demographic.  With that in mind, maybe it's nice to not have the genre butchered by the Plurals like they butchered electropop and turned it into Ariana Grande.
Yeah, even the youngest Millennials so far are mostly past the traditional college age which makes them out of the range for those movies. I saw the previews for both Neighbor films and despite they show Millennials at the right age, it was not even close to being a young adult movie.

However, I can see these making a comeback in the next decade with Generation Z being at that age range.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/08/17 at 5:30 pm

Yeah, even the youngest Millennials so far are mostly past the traditional college age which makes them out of the range for those movies. I saw the previews for both Neighbor films and despite they show Millennials at the right age, it was not even close to being a young adult movie.

However, I can see these making a comeback in the next decade with Generation Z being at that age range.

If you cut Millennials off at 1996 (the earliest date most demographers do it), that would put them at 20/21 years old so they are still in that age range.  If you cut it off at 2000, the youngest Millennials are currently nearing the end of high school.

I never saw Neighbors.  From the previews though, it seemed like just an excuse for Zac Efron to be shirtless, without much substance to it other than that.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/08/17 at 10:09 pm

If you cut Millennials off at 1996 (the earliest date most demographers do it), that would put them at 20/21 years old so they are still in that age range.  If you cut it off at 2000, the youngest Millennials are currently nearing the end of high school.

I never saw Neighbors.  From the previews though, it seemed like just an excuse for Zac Efron to be shirtless, without much substance to it other than that.
Yeah, even now the end range is being determined although I still see 1994/95/96 as the biggest contenders. I don't think 2000 is the end anymore despite my opinion for that year.

I have to agree. Ever since his HSM days, Zac has been finding ways to be shirtless. I mean, just look at the new Baywatch movie. I saw the trailer, and he was pretty much shirtless the entire time.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/09/17 at 12:53 am

Oh, totally. I wish I was a lot older during the mid 80's-early 90's so I could have fully experienced them and not just had seen things through a child's eyes.

Did you ever watch Roundhouse? I was too young to watch it at the time. I was a 90s Nicktoons kid.

For you guys who too young...here's a small taste of early 90s weirdness.

k0_o__aXUIw

Written By: Slim95 on 06/09/17 at 1:12 am

Did you ever watch Roundhouse? I was too young to watch it at the time. I was a 90s Nicktoons kid.

For you guys who too young...here's a small taste of early 90s weirdness.

k0_o__aXUIw

So weird but so awesome at the same time.  8) I think it would have been so cool to grow up in that era.

Check for new replies or respond here...