inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Popular retailers/chain restaurants that won't survive to 2020?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/08/17 at 12:23 am

What formerly popular retailers do you think will not make it to the end of 2019?  Here are one's that come to mind for me.

Retail:

Sears
KMart
Gamestop
Radio Shack
Any 2000s teen brand that nobody wears anymore i.e. American Eagle, Hollister, etc.

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Applebee's
TGI Friday
Ruby Tuesday
Red Robin

Subject: Re: Popular retailers/chain restaurants that won't survive to 2020?

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 12:29 am

I can definitely see Radio Shack being cleaned out for good. If only Olive Garden would die. Olive Garden is a special kind of American bad. BWW is going strong in my area. There are so many and they're always packed at night so it's hard to see them going out of business soon but who knows.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/08/17 at 5:21 am

I can definitely see Radio Shack being cleaned out for good. If only Olive Garden would die. Olive Garden is a special kind of American bad. BWW is going strong in my area. There are so many and they're always packed at night so it's hard to see them going out of business soon but who knows.

What's wrong with Olive Garden? I've been there once, but loved the food!

Written By: 2001 on 06/08/17 at 5:41 am

You read the article about millennials killing Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's, didn't you? ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/08/17 at 6:33 am

You read the article about millennials killing Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's, didn't you? ;D

What article is this? And I don't know about you, but I love eating at Applebee's.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/17 at 7:08 am

I've been to Olive Garden once years ago.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/17 at 7:11 am

What formerly popular retailers do you think will not make it to the end of 2019?  Here are one's that come to mind for me.

Retail:

Sears
KMart
Gamestop
Radio Shack

Any 2000s teen brand that nobody wears anymore i.e. American Eagle, Hollister, etc.

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Applebee's
TGI Friday
Ruby Tuesday
Red Robin

I've read articles about Radio Shack going out of business and some of them now have a clearance sale and as far as Gamestop is concerned, I don't think they're going out of business, where will kids get their game fix?

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 11:35 am

Do yourself a favor. If you have to go to an American Italian chain restaurant, at least go to Carrabba's.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 12:17 pm

Do yourself a favor. If you have to go to an American Italian chain restaurant, at least go to Carrabba's.

Carrabba's is basically a twin brother to Olive Garden. Although it sucks that there isn't an Olive Garden where I live.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 12:52 pm

Carrabba's is basically a twin brother to Olive Garden. Although it sucks that there isn't an Olive Garden where I live.

Even then... Carrabba's > Olive Garden.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/08/17 at 12:55 pm

Carrabba's at least cooks their own food.  With Olive Garden, it is delivered frozen and they microwave it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 12:59 pm

Carrabba's at least cooks their own food.  With Olive Garden, it is delivered frozen and they microwave it.

Ahh. That's why it tastes worse. Carrabba's also has better recipes.

Sorry Olive Garden lovers. I know it's the most popular chain in the US but I really recommend branching out. At least try Carrabba's if you can't find a good local Italian restaurant.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/17 at 1:07 pm

Is there one in New York? ???

Written By: Howard on 06/08/17 at 1:08 pm

Does anyone think supermarkets like Stop N Shop will survive in 2020? ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/08/17 at 1:16 pm

Is there one in New York? ???

There seem to be more Carrabba's restaurants in Houston but I see a few in NYC if you're referring to the city.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 1:29 pm

Wow. So I guess New York City really does make it high quality for Italian food then. In the commercials, they make it look good despite not a lot of people going there. Carrabba's at least good stuff there, since I've been there once a few years ago.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/08/17 at 1:37 pm

I still see kids wearing American Eagle and Hollister hoodies; I don't think those brands are going away anytime soon. Maybe when this big super-era of the 00's/10's dies out but that's hoping it doesn't bleed into the 2020's as well.

Written By: 2001 on 06/08/17 at 1:51 pm

What article is this? And I don't know about you, but I love eating at Applebee's.

http://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-endanger-casual-dining-restaurants-2017-5

I've never been to any of these restaurants tbh, so it's probably true.  :-X

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/08/17 at 2:16 pm

Even then... Carrabba's > Olive Garden.

Or move to the North East (NJ/NYC) and just eat authentic Italian food ;)

But in all seriousness I'd probably lean more towards Carrabas as well. Although there aren't that many around by me

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/08/17 at 2:18 pm

Didn't RadioShack already go out of business?

Anyways I'll add some more:

Payless

Ruby Tuesday

White Castle (do people even go here anymore?)

PC Richard & Son

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/08/17 at 8:36 pm

Retail:

Sears
KMart
Gamestop
Radio Shack

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Applebee's
TGI Friday
Ruby Tuesday
Red Robin
All those stores and restaurants you listed are still popular in Chicago. And believe it or not, Kmart is still going strong here. We still have 3 locations. I just went shopping at Kmart on Black Friday for a black Basic Editions coat. It was crowded and the loudspeaker was playing "Rock Monster". On regular days, the crowd size is average. I still shop at Sears, too. Game Stop is still popular with the kids, but I don't keep up with video games anymore. Too many of them now are just shooting games like Call of Duty. Not my style. I'm a PS1/PS2 kinda guy.

Buffalo Wild Wings has the best food. I've never been to TGI Friday's and Red Robin, but I'd love to one of these days. Chicagoans love Buffalo Wild Wings.

I guess you could say Chicago's pretty old fashioned. It's a hipster's paradise. We even have a video store like Block Buster in the suburbs. They have VHS tapes.

I kinda miss those 2000's teen brands. Especially Coogi, Ed Hardy, Affliction, Rocawear, etc.. Only the coolest of the cool used to wear those brands. Especially the Coogi jeans with the King and Joker on the back pockets, with a New Era fitted cap and Nike Air Force 1's, or Vans.

I'm sick of that lame, nerdy, lumbersexual/hipster-yuppie garbage... Like give it a rest already...

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/17 at 10:53 pm

Honestly I think every transnational retailer/restaurant will survive until 2020. Most of the ones you guys listed aren't in Canada (such as Radio Shack, KMart and some others listed). So I can't think of anything really. I do not believe Sears or Applebees will go anywhere. Maybe Second Cup may go before 2020, I heard they were having some financial troubles. I hope they don't go because they are a good Canadian company and better than Starbucks. Someone mentioned in another thread they think Best Buy will shut down and I think there is no way in hell this will happen because they are the last remaining major electronic store. Online has not completely replaced retailers for most people yet.

Written By: 2001 on 06/08/17 at 11:08 pm

Honestly I think every transnational retailer/restaurant will survive until 2020. Most of the ones you guys listed aren't in Canada (such as Radio Shack, KMart and some others listed). So I can't think of anything really. I do not believe Sears or Applebees will go anywhere. Maybe Second Cup may go before 2020, I heard they were having some financial troubles. I hope they don't go because they are a good Canadian company and better than Starbucks. Someone mentioned in another thread they think Best Buy will shut down and I think there is no way in hell this will happen because they are the last remaining major electronic store. Online has not completely replaced retailers for most people yet.

Radio Shack was bought by The Source, which has had a lot of stores close in the past couple of years.

I was going to say there's a K Mart near where I live, but upon searching, it's actually an H Mart. Intersting... It's a Korean grocer ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/17 at 11:10 pm

Radio Shack was bought by The Source, which has had a lot of stores close in the past couple of years.

I was going to say there's a K Mart near where I live, but upon searching, it's actually an H Mart. Intersting... It's a Korean grocer ;D

Yeah there's no KMart in Canada and I don't believe there ever was. There used be Radio Shack but now it's gone and replaced with the Source. All of the others listed I have not heard of except Sears of course and Applebees. I've heard of Gamestop but I'm assuming that's the same as EB Games? Because that's what it's called up here. I can see the Source leaving, I forgot about it but whenever I pass by it in the mall it always looks so dead and empty. But it's scary to think that the only major electronic retailer that may be left is Best Buy.

Oh and I also don't think any clothing brands are going anywhere.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/08/17 at 11:15 pm

I kind of see Windixie fading. Heard the info.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/17 at 4:39 pm

Payless

Ruby Tuesday

PC Richard & Son

I still see half of the majority of people going to White Castle.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/10/17 at 7:18 pm

I've read articles about Radio Shack going out of business and some of them now have a clearance sale and as far as Gamestop is concerned, I don't think they're going out of business, where will kids get their game fix?

Disc Traders, FYE, Best Buy?

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/10/17 at 9:14 pm

I kinda miss those 2000's teen brands. Especially Coogi, Ed Hardy, Affliction, Rocawear, etc.. Only the coolest of the cool used to wear those brands. Especially the Coogi jeans with the King and Joker on the back pockets, with a New Era fitted cap and Nike Air Force 1's, or Vans.

I'm sick of that lame, nerdy, lumbersexual/hipster-yuppie garbage... Like give it a rest already...

And don't forget the tacky pseudo-90s throwback styles that remove everything that was raw about casual 90s clothing.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/10/17 at 10:54 pm

I never was the type who could wear stuff like Ed Hardy and Affliction.  I just am not muscular or dude-broey enough. I didn't really realize it had gone out of style until you mentioned it but you are right.  In 2013, where I live, you still saw it everywhere but now nobody is wearing it anymore, even here.  Since where I live is usually about 5 years behind national trends, there is a good chance that stuff started phasing out for most people in the late '00s.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/10/17 at 10:57 pm

Payless

Ruby Tuesday

PC Richard & Son

I don't see how Payless is still in business.  They sell very low-quality shoes that you might as well get from Walmart or Target.  That is another store that you walk into and it looks like you've been transported back to the '80s.

http://delawarebusinessnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/PaylessShoeSourcePromenade.jpg

As for White Castle, I've never lived in an area that had them, but from what I understand they still have a loyal cult following.  That should keep them in business.  They got a nice bump in the '00s with 'Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle' making the brand popular again.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/17 at 5:29 am

Disc Traders, FYE, Best Buy?

or go online.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/17 at 5:30 am

I don't see how Payless is still in business.  They sell very low-quality shoes that you might as well get from Walmart or Target.  That is another store that you walk into and it looks like you've been transported back to the '80s.

http://delawarebusinessnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/PaylessShoeSourcePromenade.jpg

As for White Castle, I've never lived in an area that had them, but from what I understand they still have a loyal cult following.  That should keep them in business.  They got a nice bump in the '00s with 'Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle' making the brand popular again.

Payless has garbage sneakers.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/17 at 6:08 am

Does anyone think supermarkets like Stop N Shop will survive in 2020? ???

Yep. People still gotta eat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/17 at 6:28 am

Retail:

Sears
KMart
Gamestop
Radio Shack

Restaurants:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Applebee's
TGI Friday
Ruby Tuesday
Red Robin

Buffalo Wild Wings and Red Robin, are still doing well in The Philippines.

TGI Friday, is doing very in the UK.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/12/17 at 5:18 am

Buffalo Wild Wings was better when it was "Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck" or BW3.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/12/17 at 6:11 am

Red Robin is still quite popular over here.

Payless has garbage sneakers.

Boy do they! I buy mine at Kohl's. If you want a discount but brand name pair, you can always try TJ Maxx and places like that.

or go online.

Yes, but not everyone trusts Amazon and Ebay and exclusively online stores.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/12/17 at 11:44 am

This Thread should be changed to "Which retail & chain restaurant won't survive in the year 2025?".

Written By: Howard on 06/12/17 at 2:41 pm

Yep. People still gotta eat.

and they need to shop too.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/17 at 2:42 pm

Red Robin is still quite popular over here.
Boy do they! I buy mine at Kohl's. If you want a discount but brand name pair, you can always try TJ Maxx and places like that.
Yes, but not everyone trusts Amazon and Ebay and exclusively online stores.

I bought sneakers years ago from them and they lasted a couple of months when they started tearing apart.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/12/17 at 2:48 pm

I bought sneakers years ago from them and they lasted a couple of months when they started tearing apart.

Which brand was it? I buy Asics usually, and they last! You can't cheap out on your shoes man!

Written By: Howard on 06/12/17 at 3:04 pm

Which brand was it? I buy Asics usually, and they last! You can't cheap out on your shoes man!

I forgot the name of them.  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...