inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s : The Decade in Rock & Metal Music

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/08/17 at 7:51 am

With rock music lacking a presence in the mainstream, there have still been some great releases that have unfortunately not received as much recognition or praise that they deserve. The purpose of this thread is for sharing and discussing rock songs released this decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAWvSpnqdE

Song : "Empire"
Band : Birds of Tokyo
Year : 2016

As I briefly explained in another thread, this song is basically like an anthem for the Mid 2010s. It addresses the then current state of society, such as Donald Trump's presidential campaign, marriage equality and the increase in terrorism. The only thing that prevented it from achieving mainstream success is...the fact that it's a rock song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7NZTQ3QxY

Song : "Ten Tonne Skeleton"
Band : Royal Blood
Year : 2014

Royal Blood are really underrated and they're a band who deserve more mainstream success. In case anyone is unfamiliar with them, they are an English band. They only formed in 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g-1lgXYYLg

Song : "Worlds Collide"
Band : Calling All Cars
Year : 2011

Calling All Cars are very underrated and I would highly recommend giving this band a listen. They formed in 2005, however their debut album was only released in March 2010.

Subject: Re: 2010s : The Decade in Rock Music

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 10:45 am

Does metal songs count? Because Korn released a decent album called "The Serenity of Suffering" in late 2016. My favorite song from the album is Insane, btw.

Subject: Re: 2010s : The Decade in Rock & Metal Music

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/08/17 at 5:35 pm

Does metal songs count? Because Korn released a decent album called "The Serenity of Suffering" in late 2016. My favorite song from the album is Insane, btw.

Yep. :) I haven't listened to Korn in a long time. I should give their new album a listen. ;)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/03/17 at 9:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqjmGEe_9kA

I'm making a project at the moment based on rock songs which have peaked within the Top 50 this decade. It is based on the ARIA chart, but that doesn't matter, because the Billboard Hot 100 and ARIA charts are 95% the same. They're extremely similar. I've mostly completed 2010-2013, although I still need to add in a couple more songs. Despite this, I've already noticed several trends:

* 2010 was the last year where rock was still a dominant force on the charts.
* Post-Grunge didn't completely disappear until 2012. Nickelback had a hit with "When We Stand Together", which peaked at #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2011.
* Did Blink-182's "Up All Night" chart or receive any airplay in the US?
* Rock was still mostly guitar-based until 2012.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video. :)

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/03/17 at 10:10 pm

Great thread. Keep it going...

Written By: Fearsword on 08/03/17 at 10:52 pm

The only rock song I remember reaching no. 1 off the top of my head was Good Charlotte's "We Are Done" in 2014. There have definitely been qutie a few rock songs charting well this decade, though most of them have been of the indie/electronic type.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 08/03/17 at 11:08 pm

The only rock song I remember reaching no. 1 off the top of my head was Good Charlotte's "We Are Done" in 2014. There have definitely been qutie a few rock songs charting well this decade, though most of them have been of the indie/electronic type.

Rock songs that branch off into electronic territory are able to do so--primarily because the electronic elements infused into the music.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/04/17 at 5:21 am

I've always viewed "We Are Done" as being a pop song, to be honest. I don't think it was a coincidence that the song was released during Benji and Joel Madden's stint on The Voice. :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/04/17 at 4:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1gatWxeIlE

I have now completed 2015-2017. I still need to finish off the other years. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this latest update! It's been pretty interesting making this compilation video and I've noticed quite a number of trends, which I have made note of below:

* 2015 was probably the peak year for indie rock music in the mainstream.
* There was hardly any rock in 2016!  :o
* It appears as though this year has been a transitional period for rock music in the mainstream, although it remains to be seen if it indeed is the case.

From making these videos, I now believe that rock music can make a full-fledged return to the mainstream. While the genre isn't as dominant as it used to be, there have been quite a number of "rock" hits this decade, despite the fact that most of it isn't guitar-driven. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts in regards to the rock music in the 2010s or any of my videos. :)

Written By: LooseBolt on 09/04/17 at 7:46 am

A lack of rock music in the mainstream, certainly, but most definitely not an absence. There has been an evidence of heavier, drop-D guitar rock, sure, but indie rock saw a true renaissance from 2009 through 2015 or so. Guster, The Dear Hunter, Death Cab, Cold War Kids, Cage The Elephant, etc. It was a great time for these bands.

However, if you're looking for metal in the mainstream, look no further than Nothing More. They may prove significant in the cultural age to come.

Check for new replies or respond here...