inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody getting "fatigued" of the '90s classics reboots?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/08/17 at 6:33 pm

It seems like everything that was popular in the '90s is up for grabs for a reboot.  When the trend first started, I enjoyed it.  After all, I was a kid in the '90s and it was fun seeing many of the things that defined my childhood brought into the modern era.  However, I am starting to get fatigued by it and it seems like Hollywood is digging deeper and deeper and getting into stuff that was never good enough the first time around to even be considered for a reboot.  Exhibit A: The Mummy.

Has Hollywood simply run out of ideas or do they just think it's easier to exploit us '90s kids with awful, unwanted reboots of stuff we loved as children?

Subject: Re: Anybody getting "fatigued" of the '90s classics reboots?

Written By: #Infinity on 06/08/17 at 6:37 pm

The only film I would actually be interested to see rebooted is Back to the Future, and, of course, because my luck has to suck so hard, Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis won't allow the story to be retold from fresh perspectives and different time periods until they're dead.

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/08/17 at 7:57 pm

The only film I would actually be interested to see rebooted is Back to the Future, and, of course, because my luck has to suck so hard, Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis won't allow the story to be retold from fresh perspectives and different time periods until they're dead.
I'm glad they have enough sense to not make a Back to the Future reboot.  ;D I can see it all now... That would be the most cringiest hipster movie ever made. We already have enough bad 80's reboots with a modern twist that exploit the hipster fad. Like the failed Ghost Busters reboot, but with women instead of men... You know, for the feminists! LOL

Written By: 80sfan on 06/08/17 at 8:00 pm

When did reboots become so popular? I hope this is an 00's and 10's thing, and won't be forever, and that Hollywood is past its 'creative peak'.

Written By: FunkSoulBrother96 on 06/08/17 at 8:08 pm

It seems like everything that was popular in the '90s is up for grabs for a reboot.  When the trend first started, I enjoyed it.  After all, I was a kid in the '90s and it was fun seeing many of the things that defined my childhood brought into the modern era.  However, I am starting to get fatigued by it and it seems like Hollywood is digging deeper and deeper and getting into stuff that was never good enough the first time around to even be considered for a reboot.  Exhibit A: The Mummy.

Has Hollywood simply run out of ideas or do they just think it's easier to exploit us '90s kids with awful, unwanted reboots of stuff we loved as children?
You're right that Hollywood's run out of ideas by exploiting the heck out of 90's nostalgia. It's everywhere now in the mainstream media since 2011. "The 90's Are All That" on Nickelodeon started it. Especially this Grunge-Revival thing, where stores are selling Nirvana shirts, and all the trendy hipsters are bringing back flannel/plaid with ripped jeans, like Kurt Cobain. Don't get me wrong, the 90's is cool, but there was far more to the 90's than just the stuff from the Early 90's that everyone's nostalgic about.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/08/17 at 8:16 pm

When did reboots become so popular? I hope this is an 00's and 10's thing, and won't be forever, and that Hollywood is past its 'creative peak'.

There's no way that the reboots was a 2000s thing. Of course, there were several remakes that happened during that decade (Cat in the Hat w/ Mike Myers, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Rob Zombie's Halloween and Michael Bay's Friday the 13th), but it wasn't an occurring trend back then. It was more prevalent during the 2010s, when Hollywood really ran out of ideas for sure.

What I'd really like to see is a Late 90's/Early 00's revival!

They've already made sequels or remakes to several films that were released in the late 90s/early 2000s. Finding Dory was one of them.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/08/17 at 8:20 pm

Fatigued? Well, I don't know. Even a lot of the new and fresh movies aren't that good for the most part.

As long as a reboot or revival is done well....I don't really mind or care.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/08/17 at 8:33 pm

There's no way that the reboots was a 2000s thing. Of course, there were several remakes that happened during that decade (Cat in the Hat w/ Mike Myers, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Rob Zombie's Halloween and Michael Bay's Friday the 13th), but it wasn't an occurring trend back then. It was more prevalent during the 2010s, when Hollywood really ran out of ideas for sure.

They've already made sequels or remakes to several films that were released in the late 90s/early 2000s. Finding Dory was one of them.

So it's more of a 2010's thingy!  :P

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/09/17 at 1:58 am

I actually haven't because I haven't been paying attention or noticing all the reboots. I did see Power Rangers in theaters tho. It was okay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes_(A%E2%80%93M)

Go down this list. It's not a full list but I notice that on this page at least, the 1930s and 2000s seem to give the 2010s a run for its money

Written By: Looney Toon on 06/09/17 at 1:21 pm

In the movie industry the reboots are well past tiring. I'm pretty much sick of them. Just as bad in the game industry as well. I mean for f**k sake they brought back Bubsy the Cat!
i0EXo5BCyaM

WHY?! WHHHYY?!?!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 1:29 pm

In the movie industry the reboots are well past tiring. I'm pretty much sick of them. Just as bad in the game industry as well. I mean for f**k sake they brought back Bubsy the Cat!
i0EXo5BCyaM

WHY?! WHHHYY?!?!

Well, I guess it's meant to pull in nostalgic '90s kids and people like me who never heard or played any of the original games. However, I have heard that Bubsy was annoying.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/09/17 at 1:38 pm

The Animaniacs reboot isn't right on so many levels. Its like stealing a mummy from its tomb.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 1:45 pm

The Animaniacs reboot isn't right on so many levels. Its like stealing a mummy from its tomb.

Well, it's being developed by Steven Spielberg (who also developed the original)....so hopefully it's going to be good. You just alerted me of the existence of this reboot, lol.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/09/17 at 1:50 pm

You have to be kidding!

I liked Animaniacs back in the day but it should stay in the '90s.  Yet another example of the entertainment industry's over-exploitation of '90s nostalgia.

Reboots are not a new thing.  Every decade has them.  It seems like they are a defining part of '10s culture though.  Look at some of the most defining movies of this decade so far.

Jurassic World
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Beauty and the Beast
Power Rangers
MIB 3
Independence Day
Space Jam 2

That's not even considering all of the TV sitcom reboots that have either happened or are in the works.  One show reunions are fine, like what they are doing with Friends, but complete reboots are a recipe for failure as they don't hold interest after the nostalgia factor wears off.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 1:54 pm

You have to be kidding!

I liked Animaniacs back in the day but it should stay in the '90s.  Yet another example of the entertainment industry's over-exploitation of '90s nostalgia.

Reboots are not a new thing.  Every decade has them.  It seems like they are a defining part of '10s culture though.  Look at some of the most defining movies of this decade so far.

Jurassic World
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Beauty and the Beast
Power Rangers
MIB 3
Independence Day
Space Jam 2

That's not even considering all of the TV sitcom reboots that have either happened or are in the works.  One show reunions are fine, like what they are doing with Friends, but complete reboots are a recipe for failure as they don't hold interest after the nostalgia factor wears off.

Um, most of those movies are sequels not reboots. It's a common mistake but sequels and reboots aren't the same thing.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/09/17 at 2:02 pm

Yeah the reboots are getting annoying. But the "original" movies of the 2010s aren't really anything to write home about either.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 2:03 pm

Yeah the reboots are getting annoying. But the "original" movies of the 2010s aren't really anything to write home about either.

Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I even said that earlier.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/09/17 at 2:09 pm

You're right that Hollywood's run out of ideas by exploiting the heck out of 90's nostalgia. It's everywhere now in the mainstream media since 2011. "The 90's Are All That" on Nickelodeon started it. Especially this Grunge-Revival thing, where stores are selling Nirvana shirts, and all the trendy hipsters are bringing back flannel/plaid with ripped jeans, like Kurt Cobain. Don't get me wrong, the 90's is cool, but there was far more to the 90's than just the stuff from the Early 90's that everyone's nostalgic about. The Mid - Late 90's are very hated and underrated.

What I'd really like to see is a Late 90's/Early 00's revival!

I agree with most of your post. Except with the fashion bit. 2010s fashion is NOTHING like 90s fashion. I actually made a post about it a while back:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54030.msg3455906#msg3455906

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/09/17 at 2:11 pm

Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I even said that earlier.

I just read your post. It is pretty similar  :o.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 2:14 pm

I just read your post. It is pretty similar  :o.

LOL.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/09/17 at 2:28 pm

Well, it's being developed by Steven Spielberg (who also developed the original)....so hopefully it's going to be good. You just alerted me of the existence of this reboot, lol.

I mean, that's hope but a cartoon as accomplished as Animanics legacy can be just as easily ruined. They gotta get those voices right, man.
You have to be kidding!

I thought it was some type of click bait until I had to looked harder. Haha Even if Steven Spielberg is the director, it still feels wrong to me. Something's not right.

Some things are better left with their time.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 2:32 pm

I mean, that's hope but a cartoon as accomplished as Animanics legacy can be just as easily ruined. They gotta get those voices right, man.

Yeah, you're right.

I thought it was some type of click bait until I had to looked harder. Haha Even if Steven Spielberg is the director, it still feels wrong to me. Something's not right.

Some things are better left with their time.

I agree with you to some extent.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/17 at 4:34 pm

They think reboots will bring back the nostalgia. ::)

Written By: Looney Toon on 06/09/17 at 6:53 pm

Freakin' seriously?! AGH! This is literally just 90s nostalgia pandering. I swear this 90s pandering is straight up cancer at this point. Who in the world asked for an Animaniacs reboot? Let that show stay in the 1990s and make something new and original.

People are beyond dumb. They don't understand WHY they even like the 1980s or 1990s. The reason why people like them is because of the NEW and ORIGINAL things that were being made at the time. If you want the 2010s to be like the 1980s or 1990s they need to continue doing NEW and ORIGINAL stuff again!

And people wonder why I stopped caring for the 1990s and find the decade nothing more than an overrated time period. Heck the people nostalgic for the show won't like it anyways. You'll just see people going "I prefer the original 1990s one. Not that bad reboot". Reboots/Sequels/Remakes are usually bad 90% of the time. I think it's time to remove everyone within the industries and replace them with some new blood.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/09/17 at 6:59 pm

As long as the Animaniacs reboot is done well....I don't mind, I think it's a good thing. Of course, I don't want every popular thing from the '90s to be rebooted or revived but I do appreciate some reinventing of some classics. I may be one of the few who feels that way.

Also, you can't call me a nostalgia blinded '90s kid because I'm a '00s kid and was born in 1999 ;D :P.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/09/17 at 7:34 pm

i0EXo5BCyaM

WHY?! WHHHYY?!?!

To quote JonTron from his Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts review..
zdh_ISiBC-I

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/10/17 at 10:20 am

i0EXo5BCyaM

WHY?! WHHHYY?!?!

Even most '90s kids probably don't remember who Bubsy was.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/10/17 at 12:58 pm

Even most '90s kids probably don't remember who Bubsy was.

I don't think any 90s kid don't remember him well, since his games were atrocious.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/10/17 at 6:52 pm

Here's the thing, you can't force nostalgia. This isn't the nineties anymore. Remakes here and there are fine, trying to revive just anything is not going to work. Especially not TV shows that were very much a product of the times back then. 

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/17 at 7:07 pm

I feel like Toy Story 3 started the '90s version of this trend. That movie was hyped to the sky and it delivered. Then the rest of the pretenders followed and it hasn't always been successful.  :-X

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/10/17 at 9:26 pm

Yep. Hollywood reboots are not working.

On the other hand, I'm actually gleeful that old video games like Crash Bandicoot, Parappa and FF7 are coming back on current platforms to show the current generation what real video games are supposed to be about, because I honestly feel the video game industry has been digging a whole for itself with all the godawful CoD/GTA "killers" and interactive movies. The PS3 was imo the worst Sony home console for this reason.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/10/17 at 9:32 pm

On the other hand, I'm actually gleeful that old video games like Crash Bandicoot, Parappa and FF7 are coming back on current platforms to show the current generation what real video games are supposed to be about, because I honestly feel the video game industry has been digging a whole for itself with all the godawful CoD/GTA "killers" and interactive movies. The PS3 was imo the worst Sony home console for this reason.

I agree with you (the part I bolded)

To me, I don't think video games will ever be the same again with the rise of VR and the rise in interest in "4K gaming". Right now, video games are more tech focused rather than game focused and that's what is making me not as excited for games as I used to be.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/10/17 at 10:45 pm

Yeah I think video games are really at a turning point.  Right now, indie developers are taking a lot of the focus away from AAA developers, who insist on milking the CoD cash cow for as long as they can.

I agree with you (the part I bolded)

To me, I don't think video games will ever be the same again with the rise of VR and the rise in interest in "4K gaming". Right now, video games are more tech focused rather than game focused and that's what is making me not as excited for games as I used to be.

Games really started to become tech focused around 2004, when games like Half Life 2 and Doom 3 were popular.  At first, they were still good because the gameplay was good and the tech allowed environments that had never been possible before.  Around the time of "Crysis" in 2007 was when I thought games were becoming too tech focused and the gameplay was starting to suffer.  Devs at the time were also starting to focus primarily on multiplayer, neglecting the single player campaign.  I think gaming really peaked in 2004 and was good in 2005 and 2006, but really went downhill around 2007 and while I think it's recovered somewhat, it still isn't what it once was.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/10/17 at 11:07 pm

Games really started to become tech focused around 2004, when games like Half Life 2 and Doom 3 were popular.  At first, they were still good because the gameplay was good and the tech allowed environments that had never been possible before.  Around the time of "Crysis" in 2007 was when I thought games were becoming too tech focused and the gameplay was starting to suffer.  Devs at the time were also starting to focus primarily on multiplayer, neglecting the single player campaign.  I think gaming really peaked in 2004 and was good in 2005 and 2006, but really went downhill around 2007 and while I think it's recovered somewhat, it still isn't what it once was.

Not to me. Ever since 2013 or 2014, games have been more tech focused with a lot of gamers wanting "more specs, better graphics, more DLCs, 4K visuals, virtual reality, etc".

Written By: bchris02 on 06/10/17 at 11:17 pm

Not to me. Ever since 2013 or 2014, games have been more tech focused with a lot of gamers wanting "more specs, better graphics, more DLCs, 4K visuals, virtual reality, etc".

That isn't anything new.  You may not remember gaming in the mid '00s, but it was very much the same way.  It really started to become an issue in the late '00s as the focus on tech was beginning to detract from gameplay.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/10/17 at 11:23 pm

That isn't anything new.  You may not remember gaming in the mid '00s, but it was very much the same way.  It really started to become an issue in the late '00s as the focus on tech was beginning to detract from gameplay.

Once again not to me and I've been gaming since the mid 2000s. This demand for better tech is different from previous times....literally many games will live or die depending on how the graphics are. Back in the 2000s for the most part (until maybe the very late 2000s)....that definitely wasn't the case.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/17 at 11:37 pm

I started posting on video game forums in 2006 and I remember it being an issue then too. There were enough dial up users that the image-heavy graphics threads would need a "(56k warning)", and people compared images of games side by side to see which console had the better graphics. "the jaggies!!1", "The gr4phx sux0rz!" and polygon counting were popular sayings.  :-X

And yes, Crysis was the peak of that madness. Such an average game all things considered, but was hyped to high heaven nonetheless just because of the graphics. Then every subsequent game that had graphics that were even close were called "the Crysis killer" as hyperbole ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/11/17 at 12:04 am

I started posting on video game forums in 2006 and I remember it being an issue then too. There were enough dial up users that the image-heavy graphics threads would need a "(56k warning)", and people compared images of games side by side to see which console had the better graphics. "the jaggies!!1", "The gr4phx sux0rz!" and polygon counting were popular sayings.  :-X

And yes, Crysis was the peak of that madness. Such an average game all things considered, but was hyped to high heaven nonetheless just because of the graphics. Then every subsequent game that had graphics that were even close were called "the Crysis killer" as hyperbole ;D

Yes that is true but not to scale that is is now. Games nowadays can live or die based on the graphics.....back in 2006, that wasn't the case.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/11/17 at 12:14 am

I agree with this completely.  Crysis was the epitome of this problem.  I never beat the game because even after all its hype, I found it quite boring.  The original Far Cry in 2003 was a huge step forward in graphics, but it was also a fun game.  Crysis didn't have the same feel.  I do think this has improved a bit in recent years with all the indie developers.  A lot of indie games don't have cutting edge graphics but they are way more fun than your typical AAA shooter.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/17 at 5:25 am

Here's the thing, you can't force nostalgia. This isn't the nineties anymore. Remakes here and there are fine, trying to revive just anything is not going to work. Especially not TV shows that were very much a product of the times back then.

It's not going to be that good anyways.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/17 at 6:30 am

Tom Cruise has not drawn me in to see "The Mummy".

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/11/17 at 9:56 am

Graphics focus has been an issue since PC gaming first started and for consoles, the Dreamcast. I don't think there was any particular point in time in the 2000s where gaming went from innovative to formulaic, because in the late 00s, we had the X360, PS3, Wii and PS2 on the market and getting new games. The latter two were definitely fun game focused.

The PS3/360 had their moments, but the downgrade in genre selection, especially compared to the PS2 always baffled me why people were saying PS3 or 360 were the best consoles ever made.
Don't get me wrong, I owned a 360 since 2006 and I love playing Gears of War from time to time and Halo 3. But what I don't like are the influx of Halo/CoD/Halo "killers" that don't do anything new for the genre they're representing and don't need to exist.
https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/hd-shovelware-26110227/

I also didn't like the fact that for the first 4 years of the 360's life, good JRPGs, Platformers, action-adventure and Horror games were poorly represented on the system. And yet everytime someone would complain on Xbox forums about this, people would act like this was OK
http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/55808.
Where was the Xbox 360's equivalent of Shadow of the Colossus in 2009? It had been out for 4 years. Where is the 360's equivalent of Ico? Or Okami? Or Monster Hunter? Was Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts the 360's answer to Mario Galaxy on Wii? Was Resident Evil 5 supposed to be the answer to Fatal Frame and Silent Hill? Was Final Fantasy 13 supposed to be the answer to FF7?

Again l'm using the 360 as an example since I own one, but the PS3 wasn't far behind either. They're good systems but pale in comparison to the games we used to get one the 6th gen.

Check for new replies or respond here...