inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Something I find really annoying.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/12/17 at 12:41 pm

You know how you have adults who look back at the fashion of their teen years with embarrassment? What I find really annoying are people who were teens in the 00s (and in some cases, the 90s), who have this mentality, and yet they still follow the hipster fashion of the 2010s. Today's hipster fashion looks far more ridiculous than fashion of previous decades, but these people truly believed that they've "grown up, when they've just hopped from one trend to the next.

Subject: Re: Something I find really annoying.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/17 at 12:46 pm

I totally agree. This decade has the worst fashion than the previous ones. Hipster clothing is so embarrassing that it will be loudly laughed at in the next few years.

I would gladly take the 90s and 00s fashion over today's anytime.  Not only were they comfortable,  but the people looked great.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/12/17 at 12:55 pm

I totally agree. This decade has the worst fashion than the previous ones. Hipster clothing is so embarrassing that it will be loudly laughed at in the next few years.

I would gladly take the 90s and 00s fashion over today's anytime.  Not only were they comfortable,  but the people looked great.

I couldn't go back to wearing baggy clothes. I do miss the sweat bands, Do-rags and baseball caps to sum it up. I guess I would like to see everyone wearing them except me. It was fascinating.

I miss that strong 00s tradition, if you were a certain rank, you were an outsider. Haha It gave you a reason to stand out.

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/17 at 12:55 pm

I'm going to have to disagree. I think people in the 2010s are more fashion conscious and take more care of their looks, especially compared to the four previous decades (1970s - 2000s). I remember in the 2000s, people made it a point of pride to dress sloppy and not care about how they look. It was actually a bad thing to be "metrosexual" until towards the end of the decade. They would brag about how they got all their Walmart! I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with it and I respect their choices, but I still know these people and they dress a lot better nowadays.

Written By: wixness on 06/12/17 at 1:01 pm

If this decade is so progressive then why are guys wearing their hair short again? Are emo kids that conservative or something?

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/17 at 1:57 pm

If this decade is so progressive then why are guys wearing their hair short again? Are emo kids that conservative or something?

Not everyone with a Nazi cut is a Nazi!!  >:(

Written By: wixness on 06/12/17 at 2:00 pm

Not everyone with a Nazi cut is a Nazi!!  >:(

Then what other guys, besides those in the military, business, government or in sport, would do this?

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/17 at 2:03 pm

Then what other guys, besides those in the military, business, government or in sport, would do this?

It looks classy. Don't you want to leave a good impression? :o

Written By: wixness on 06/12/17 at 2:05 pm

It looks classy. Don't you want to leave a good impression? :o

It makes guys look ugly. Guys with short hair tend to be pathetic in my opinion.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/12/17 at 2:34 pm

You know how you have adults who look back at the fashion of their teen years with embarrassment? What I find really annoying are people who were teens in the 00s (and in some cases, the 90s), who have this mentality, and yet they still follow the hipster fashion of the 2010s. Today's hipster fashion looks far more ridiculous than fashion of previous decades, but these people truly believed that they've "grown up, when they've just hopped from one trend to the next.

I see very few actual hipsters around. I will say I don't find some youth oriented trends flattering at all, such as the over sized glasses and the bizarre haircuts and colors. That's not to say there aren't nice things too. I look back on what I wore in the past and I'm not proud of it. I DID dress like a slob. Baggy hoodies, t-shirts, and jeans. Such a fashion plate!  :o ::) I do miss my black bell bottoms with metal studs though, I rocked those! Not that they'd fit now if I had indeed  kept them, but memories.

I'm going to have to disagree. I think people in the 2010s are more fashion conscious and take more care of their looks, especially compared to the four previous decades (1970s - 2000s). I remember in the 2000s, people made it a point of pride to dress sloppy and not care about how they look. It was actually a bad thing to be "metrosexual" until towards the end of the decade. They would brag about how they got all their Walmart! I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with it and I respect their choices, but I still know these people and they dress a lot better nowadays.

Wal-Mart these days sells nicer items than in the past. I can find better pairs of jeans there than at Target, which used to be the better one. Some people are on a budget. I find that these days fashion has more choices. It's not preppy vs alternative anymore, and it's a nice change to see clothes that actually fit instead of baggy. Well, there is the matter of too tight, and people wearing fitness clothing and spandex when they're not at the gym, but other than that, they look like they care a little more.

The man bun requires long hair! And I still see it.  :o

I couldn't go back to wearing baggy clothes. I do miss the sweat bands, Do-rags and baseball caps to sum it up. I guess I would like to see everyone wearing them except me. It was fascinating.

I miss that strong 00s tradition, if you were a certain rank, you were an outsider. Haha It gave you a reason to stand out.

Not that guys don't sag their skinny jeans these days, but the baggy falling down pants of old wasn't cool. Also the bling bling jewelry was not a look that could be pulled off by most.

If by certain rank you mean alternative fashion and not preppy or hip hop-ish, I DON'T miss those days. People were too judgmental.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/17 at 2:39 pm

professional wrestling? ???

Written By: 2001 on 06/12/17 at 2:41 pm

It makes guys look ugly. Guys with short hair tend to be pathetic in my opinion.

That's a bit too judgemental don't you think?  :-
Wal-Mart these days sells nicer items than in the past. I can find better pairs of jeans there than at Target, which used to be the better one. Some people are on a budget. I find that these days fashion has more choices. It's not preppy vs alternative anymore, and it's a nice change to see clothes that actually fit instead of baggy. Well, there is the matter of too tight, and people wearing fitness clothing and spandex when they're not at the gym, but other than that, they look like they care a little more.

Oh yeah, Walmart has a lot of decent and affordable clothes. I bought a jacket from there 10 years ago that still looks decent (although a bit too big now). I should clarify: by "point of pride", I meant they bought from Walmart and snubbed those that would buy from more expensive stores or people who were fashion conscious. I liked buying more expressive clothing than what Walmart sells so I didn't like those kinds of comments.  :-[

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/12/17 at 2:47 pm

Only if they have the wrong sort of haircut. Same with girls who get pixie cuts, it's not flattering on just anyone. Even so, it doesn't make a person pathetic, I don't know how you come to that conclusion.

Written By: wixness on 06/12/17 at 2:55 pm

Only if they have the wrong sort of haircut. Same with girls who get pixie cuts, it's not flattering on just anyone. Even so, it doesn't make a person pathetic, I don't know how you come to that conclusion.

Part of it might have to do with the fact that pretty much most guys are wearing short hair, but another part of it is because I'm not fond of masculinity in general, at least its appearance. I believe that guys with long hair are cooler.

Plus, in my experience, recently the man bun has become a bit more rare.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/12/17 at 3:54 pm

I'm a guy with short hair...that's means that I'm pathetic :\'( :-[.

Written By: wixness on 06/12/17 at 3:56 pm

I'm a guy with short hair...that's means that I'm pathetic :\'( :-[ .

Sorry, but I guess I'm kind of this way especially with guys I'm not close with.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/12/17 at 5:46 pm

This is every generation.  In the '90s and '00s, fashion in the '80s seemed very corny and embarrassing in hindsight.

Two words.  Justin Bieber.

The long haircut with the swoop that most guys were wearing in the late '00s went out of style in late 2009 whenever Justin Bieber became popular.  By the end of 2010, I didn't see that cut very often at all.  In 2008, it was rare to see a guy between age 16 and 25 who did not have that cut.

Written By: wixness on 06/12/17 at 6:02 pm

Two words.  Justin Bieber.

The long haircut with the swoop that most guys were wearing in the late '00s went out of style in late 2009 whenever Justin Bieber became popular.  By the end of 2010, I didn't see that cut very often at all.  In 2008, it was rare to see a guy between age 16 and 25 who did not have that cut.

He killed off his own haircut though, and replaced it with that god awful one later, both. Plus, I want those days back.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/12/17 at 10:25 pm

Not that guys don't sag their skinny jeans these days, but the baggy falling down pants of old wasn't cool. Also the bling bling jewelry was not a look that could be pulled off by most.

If by certain rank you mean alternative fashion and not preppy or hip hop-ish, I DON'T miss those days. People were too judgmental.

I didn't think you went through this by you being a women. It was a male thing. Unless the sympathy started to effect you. You'd only really get judged if you tried to hang with them.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/12/17 at 10:50 pm

I didn't think you went through this by you being a women. It was a male thing. Unless the sympathy started to effect you. You'd only really get judged if you tried to hang with them.

I agree with Rocinante and I'm a male :-X.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/12/17 at 11:18 pm

People who have opinions like these tend to be pathetic in my opinion.  ::)

Anyway, I've dressed the same more or less since 2002. I was already wearing button down plaid all the time before everyone started wearing button down plaid. Now, I'm sick of it. This summer, I plan on donating every single plaid shirt I have.

I just wish I knew what kind of style that would look good on me.

You guy have a different image of hipster as I tend to think of hipsters as either, retro looking, washed out looking, or super fashionable. I actually like that people are tidier looking these days but it is starting to get tiring on the eyes. I'm open to changing fashion, if only for a change in scenery.

The important thing is if you judge people's fashion, that'll open you up to being judged right back. I notice a lot of people on here who constantly judge other's taste and fashion rarely give info on their tastes and fashion.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/12/17 at 11:57 pm

Uhhh, you got judged if you were a girl and not one who dressed preppy. The hip hop style was more a boy thing, but not exclusively.

People who have opinions like these tend to be pathetic in my opinion.  ::)

Anyway, I've dressed the same more or less since 2002. I was alright wearing button down plaid all the time before everyone started wearing button down plaid. Now, I'm sick of it. This summer, I plan on donating every single plaid shirt I have.

I just wish I knew what kind of style that would look good on me.

You guy have a different image of hipster as I tend to think of hipsters as either, retro looking, washed out looking, or super fashionable. I actually like that people are tidier looking these days but it is starting to get tiring on the eyes. I'm open to changing fashion, if only for a change in scenery.

The important thing is if you judge people's fashion, that'll open you up to being judged right back. I notice a lot of people on here who constantly judge other's taste and fashion rarely give info on their tastes and fashion.

To me hipsters dress really weird and purposely unfashionable. Think old man cardigans and wool sweaters, unflattering large glasses, t-shirts with out of date pop culture graphics on them, and skinny jeans so tight their legs look like sticks. If it's retro fashion it's not the stuff that would look nice on a person. Plaid and grunge throwbacks to me aren't bad looking, so as long as one bathes and combs their hair.  :P

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/13/17 at 1:31 pm

I see very few actual hipsters around. I will say I don't find some youth oriented trends flattering at all, such as the over sized glasses and the bizarre haircuts and colors. That's not to say there aren't nice things too. I look back on what I wore in the past and I'm not proud of it. I DID dress like a slob. Baggy hoodies, t-shirts, and jeans. Such a fashion plate!  :o ::) I do miss my black bell bottoms with metal studs though, I rocked those! Not that they'd fit now if I had indeed  kept them, but memories.
The man bun requires long hair! And I still see it.  :o

I guess fashion nowadays really agrees with you. However, I cannot find anything that appeals to me personally. It's come to the point where I struggle to go clothes shopping because there is so much stuff that is unappealing to me.

You claim people are less judgemental nowadays. It's easy to be less judgemental when almost everyone has the EXACT SAME taste in fashion, music, movies, T.V., etc. Everything is so homogeneous in the 2010s, so it only seems like people are more "accepting", when they really aren't. At least in the 90s and 00s there were niche subgroups. There was more variety, so if one thing didn't work out for someone, they can always find an alternative.

Written By: wixness on 06/13/17 at 1:36 pm

Only thing I like about this hipster wave is how people are encouraged to live more consciously and skinny jeans. Apart from that, I don't like how the look is making men look more like men again, it's exactly fulfilling the wishes of those who want to bring back the 1950s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/13/17 at 2:16 pm

I guess fashion nowadays really agrees with you. However, I cannot find anything that appeals to me personally. It's come to the point where I struggle to go clothes shopping because there is so much stuff that is unappealing to me.

You claim people are less judgemental nowadays. It's easy to be less judgemental when almost everyone has the EXACT SAME taste in fashion, music, movies, T.V., etc. Everything is so homogeneous in the 2010s, so it only seems like people are more "accepting", when they really aren't. At least in the 90s and 00s there were niche subgroups. There was more variety, so if one thing didn't work out for someone, they can always find an alternative.

My advice is to do you and try shopping online.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/13/17 at 2:32 pm

You're forgetting what a fashion powerhouse the 80's were. ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/13/17 at 3:31 pm

I'm a guy with short hair...that's means that I'm pathetic :\'( :-[.

You're not pathetic.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/13/17 at 4:02 pm

There are items these days I wouldn't be caught dead in. I will not wear leggings as pants, nor will I wear spandex shorts outside the house. But I have a choice not to. There are plenty of jeans, dresses, and normal pairs of shorts to go out in. I don't have to buy uncomfortable high waisted anything either. It's not the only option. If I want to keep it simple and comfortable it's easy to find a pair of pants, t-shirt, and hoodie. Want to dress punk or emo or anything else? Shop around to put together an outfit that reflects such a style like people always did. What is your personal taste that you can't find anything you'd wear?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/13/17 at 5:59 pm

You're not pathetic.

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/17 at 6:32 pm

You're forgetting what a fashion powerhouse the 80's were. ::)

How could I forget the short shorts, the permed disco hair and the pornstache  :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/13/17 at 6:43 pm

How could I forget the short shorts, the permed disco hair and the pornstache  :o

You're correct. These are the fashions of 1978 and 1978 was the peak of the 80's.

Peak 80's fashion:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/b3/c8/5db3c8cffe114b54a677b020ebd67317.jpg

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/2016/10/teens-decades-70s.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/c7/c5/49c7c571334b3e9d3d8e2c2c5a2af290.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7a/6e/3d/7a6e3d2b0b8f00f3a6199b6d4eb626d8.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/17 at 6:51 pm

What an atrocious decade for men's fashion.  8-P

Women's fashion was good tho. Farah Fawcett is bae, or should I say, babe.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/13/17 at 6:56 pm

Yes, I agree. The 80's were awful with their shaggy long hair, tight tucked in shirts, bell bottoms, corduroy and Daisy Duke shorts. Thank god the 90's came in and saved us with the big hair. rat tails and neon print pants. Phew! 

Written By: 2001 on 06/13/17 at 7:00 pm

Yes, I agree. The 80's were awful with their shaggy long hair, tight tucked in shirts, bell bottoms, corduroy and Daisy Duke shorts. Thank god the 90's came in and saved us with the big hair. rat tails and neon print pants. Phew!

Don't forget the jorts :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/13/17 at 7:02 pm

Don't forget the jorts :o

Oh yes! Jorts and afros! Man, what were they thinking in the 80's!?

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/13/17 at 11:00 pm

You're correct. These are the fashions of 1978 and 1978 was the peak of the 80's.

Peak 80's fashion:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/b3/c8/5db3c8cffe114b54a677b020ebd67317.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/c7/c5/49c7c571334b3e9d3d8e2c2c5a2af290.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7a/6e/3d/7a6e3d2b0b8f00f3a6199b6d4eb626d8.jpg

The first picture isn't so bad, the rest is horrible!  :o

Written By: Looney Toon on 06/14/17 at 11:36 am

That moment when you were a scene/emo kid and you ditched it for hipster fashion since you believed that you were too old for the scene/emo look.  ;D

Don'tcha worry as while the 2010s pop cultural trends are fading the hipster trend is going with it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/14/17 at 12:27 pm

The third pic looks UBER 70s. You sure that one's correctly classified? The first and second look early, early 80s.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/14/17 at 1:33 pm

The third pic looks UBER 70s. You sure that one's correctly classified? The first and second look early, early 80s.

It's a joke. :P

The Early 90's Guy will always tell you that 1978 is the peak of the 80's so I was just having some fun with that theory. All the photos are around 1975-1978 roughly. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/14/17 at 3:38 pm

Peak 80's fashion:

The 3rd picture is most definitely late 70's.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/14/17 at 10:47 pm

The 3rd picture is most definitely late 70's.

It's just a joke; all those photos are from the 70's. :P Those fashions didn't even survive past 1983-ish.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/20/17 at 9:45 pm

There are items these days I wouldn't be caught dead in. I will not wear leggings as pants, nor will I wear spandex shorts outside the house. But I have a choice not to. There are plenty of jeans, dresses, and normal pairs of shorts to go out in. I don't have to buy uncomfortable high waisted anything either. It's not the only option. If I want to keep it simple and comfortable it's easy to find a pair of pants, t-shirt, and hoodie. Want to dress punk or emo or anything else? Shop around to put together an outfit that reflects such a style like people always did. What is your personal taste that you can't find anything you'd wear?

Sorry for the late response. I basically like clothing with cool designs and appealing colors. I also prefer my clothing to be a bit on the looser side, but not too baggy. I really hate how everything is so slim/tight fitting nowadays.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/20/17 at 10:20 pm

It's just a joke; all those photos are from the 70's. :P Those fashions didn't even survive past 1983-ish.

I'm fairly certain that the curly/bushy hair on men was a 1980s thing too. C Thomas Howell had it in The Hitcher (1986). But overall, that set def looks more 1975-1980 than 1983-1988.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/20/17 at 11:19 pm

But overall, that set def looks more 1975-1980 than 1983-1988.

Definitely more 1975-1980. I think shaggy hair was fashionable until 1983 before making a comeback around 2003.

I'm fairly certain that the curly/bushy hair on men was a 1980s thing too. C Thomas Howell had it in The Hitcher (1986).

Kind of. I mean, yeah, people had shaggy hair in the 80's (even early 90s) too but these were the in hairstyles for men at the time:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f3/a1/b6/f3a1b6df43e87fa3eecb605bfa8186d9.jpg

http://www.slugmag.com/uploads/%20277/3185-Animal_Photo.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/tears-for-fears-curt-smith-and-roland-orzabal-1985-tears-for-fears-picture-id567235093

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ea/b7/3d/eab73da62c37ddc70dad809fc6eca75a.jpg

It's funny because a lot of people don't realize frosted tips were also big in the mid-late 80's/early 90's, not just the late 90's/early 00's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/17 at 6:11 pm

Here are some of the classic pornstaches:

Johnny Wadd...
http://img1.rnkr-static.com/list_img/10686/990686/full/full-cast-of-the-return-of-johnny-wadd-actors-and-actresses-u2.jpg

Harry Reems...
http://images.uncyclomedia.co/uncyclopedia/en/thumb/3/3e/Harryreems.jpg/250px-Harryreems.jpg

Ron Jeremy...
http://abcnews.go.com/images/Entertainment/ap_Jeremy_ac_130131_mn.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...