inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which decade is more cynical, the 90's or 10's?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/22/17 at 12:14 pm

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Which decade is more cynical, the 90's or 10's?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/22/17 at 12:26 pm

After having a discussion about if the 90s were like that, I honestly think today is more cynical because there's so much dystopia, political hostility and daily/weekly attacks. Plus, there was terrible economics due to the massive recession that occurred almost a decade ago which impacted everyone.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/22/17 at 12:44 pm

'10s.

The '90s had their dark side, but there also a lot more comedy and cheesy culture back then today.  The '10s are all dystopian and I have never seen the mood in this country more pessimistic.

Written By: 2001 on 06/22/17 at 12:58 pm

I would say the '90s in Canada. The economy being in shambles, a constitutional crisis that almost tore the country apart and the Québec separation referendum. The 2010s are rather uneventful in comparison. Sunny ways! You can thank Drake for uniting the country.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/22/17 at 1:06 pm

2010s, no questions asked. The decade was already in hell ever since the Treyvon Martin murder. I remember my dad watching the report on it, which made me wonder who would do such a thing. Then came the Dark Knight and Sandy Hook shootings, which crumbled the U.S. into pieces. It was also the time (personally) where I was really lonely and I didn't have friends that I could talk normally with. The 90s were at least cheesy as hell, where people could make fun of anything without distraught over certain issues.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/22/17 at 3:29 pm

2010s, no questions asked. The decade was already in hell ever since the Treyvon Martin murder. I remember my dad watching the report on it, which made me wonder who would do such a thing. Then came the Dark Knight and Sandy Hook shootings, which crumbled the U.S. into pieces. It was also the time (personally) where I was really lonely and I didn't have friends that I could talk normally with. The 90s were at least cheesy as hell, where people could make fun of anything without distraught over certain issues.

2012-2013 seemed like a "bridge" between the less cynical and the more cynical. I would say that the transition was complete by the time the Crimean crisis came in, though.

2010-2011: Not that cynical
2012-2013: Somewhat cynical
2014-now: Very cynical

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/22/17 at 3:32 pm

Hey Zelda, ot but could you respond to the message I sent to you?

Check for new replies or respond here...