inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How is the mall doing in your area?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/22/17 at 6:00 pm

I went to the mall today for the first time in probably over a year.  I was amazed to see how many empty storefronts there were in it.  Last time I was there, the place was completely full.  Today, a lot of stores are gone and most of those that remain are low-rent stores like "#1 Fan" or "Le Nails" or "Coats for Less."  I have heard a lot about how many malls are in decline nowadays, which is understandable being that the brands that people went to the mall to shop aren't as popular as they once were.  Somehow Aeropostale is still open.  I thought they went completely under a year or two ago.  However, the place is like scarily devoid of customers compared to ten years ago.

How is your mall doing?

Subject: Re: How is the mall doing in your area?

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/17 at 6:19 pm

Our closest mall (The Providence Place Mall), is always packed with people. The food courts are always full, and the stores as well. I go there often this is how I know. It's a really big mall, it's massive! Someone could easily get lost. :o

Written By: 2001 on 06/22/17 at 6:27 pm

There are three malls near me.

The one I go to most is a huge tourist destination. It's really thriving, and there are a lot of stores and shopping boulevards popping up right around it too. It's always difficult to find parking there, and I can use handicap parking too but still nada. Thanks Alberta for crashing the Canadian dollar!  :-X

The second mall is not the closest, but the quickest to get to using public transport. It seems to have decent traffic at peak times, but a bit desolate on weekday mornings or towards the evening. I love the atmosphere of that mall, and the food court OMG... there's a Chinese grill and their $6 Sichuan chicken is daylight robbery for such amazing taste. Thank god it's not too close 'cause I'd be 50 pounds heavier. Mostly I just shop there because it has GAP and Winners at the front door and I can go in and out quickly. It seems to be doing decently.

The third one is the shortest distance by car. That one's struggling the most but also the one I'm most optimistic about. It's always full of old people and even smells like old people. It had a Zellers which went out in 2012, then was replaced by Target which went out 2014, and the Futureshop just outside of the mall went out of business too. Ouch! The Sony store it had also went out, so did Circuit City, and electronics was basically the only reason to go there tbh since it didn't have many brand clothing stores. But, that area is going through a huge revitalization. Towers and condos are going up, the area is well served by public transport, and they're building this huge full glass extension to the mall that looks beautiful! It's going to bring the entrance to the mall towards the street, which is great because atm you need to across an ocean of parking to get the entrance. This will make it more pedestrian friendly.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/22/17 at 7:57 pm

Reporting from Boca Raton, FL.
Holding up surprisingly well. But then again... it IS a high-end mall in a high-end location.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/17 at 8:23 pm

I technically have two areas, London and Philippines, and the malls in both areas are doing a fine business with trading from the stores within.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/22/17 at 8:42 pm

I went to my local mall (Kings Plaza Mall) last month and it was full and lively.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/22/17 at 10:10 pm

It's very busy around here. One of the reasons I avoid it is because it's too crowded and you can never find good parking.

Written By: annimal on 06/22/17 at 10:15 pm

our mall lost all it's fun stores.  The only thing you can do at it last I went there in a year or two was shop for clothes.
        There's a sale at Penny's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/17 at 5:27 am

My mall lost both Sears and Macy's. J.C. Penney is the last man standing.

I think if the mall could get a Red Lobster and maybe an Olive Garden it would bring in more foot traffic.

Written By: Bab2781 on 06/23/17 at 5:34 am

I do not go to the mall.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/17 at 7:35 am

Queens Center Mall is still doing well and almost all the food courts are filled up with the hustle and bustle of people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/17 at 7:37 pm

The mall I was in on Father's Day was exceptionally busy.

Check for new replies or respond here...