inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any changes in Top 40 so far?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/24/17 at 4:28 pm

I wanna keep close tabs on Top 40's (d)evolution in the next few months and years. Have you noticed any formidable changes in Top 40 radio in the past month or so? Keep this thread alive in the long term.

Subject: Re: Any changes in Top 40 so far?

Written By: Fearsword on 06/24/17 at 7:14 pm

Other than Harry styles "Sign of the times" no.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/25/17 at 2:55 am

R&B has made some sort of a return to the Top-40 charts with the song, "Remember Me" by Jennifer Hudson. It has only just entered onto the ARIA chart, but the song is being absolutely played to death down here at the moment. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-vxG4oNN8

Even though EDM and trap are still over-saturating the charts, at least there is now some sort of diversity on the charts. Rock is being represented by "Sign of the Times" and now R&B is being represented by "Remember Me". It's still far from perfect, but at the end of the day, it's better than no diversity at all...

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/26/17 at 6:48 pm

bump

Written By: #Infinity on 06/26/17 at 7:05 pm

It's still way too soon to say, in comparison to before. "Despicito (Remix)" is still the biggest hit internationally, and all the most popular musicians continue to be mid-2010s veterans. Harry Styles' new album seems to have dropped off the radar surprisingly quickly.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/17 at 8:36 pm

I haven't listened to the radio in months!  :P  :P

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/26/17 at 9:17 pm

I don't blame ya one bit
I haven't given Top 40 radio a serious listen since 2011, and that was when Electropop was in its prime.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/26/17 at 9:18 pm

It's still way too soon to say, in comparison to before. "Despicito (Remix)" is still the biggest hit internationally, and all the most popular musicians continue to be mid-2010s veterans. Harry Styles' new album seems to have dropped off the radar surprisingly quickly.

Maybe what we're seeing is the calm before the storm, before significant chances occur. It could be late next year, it could be in just a couple of months, but it's bound to happen.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/17 at 9:21 pm

Maybe what we're seeing is the calm before the storm, before significant chances occur. It could be late next year, it could be in just a couple of months, but it's bound to happen.

I always saw that the late 90's began roughly late 1997. There were times that 1997 still felt mid-90's, but it definitely felt 'late 90's' by 1998.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/26/17 at 9:25 pm

I hope things get exciting again.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/17 at 9:51 pm

I hope things get exciting again.

'Excitement' is what the mainstream has been missing the past 15+ years, maybe even close to 20. Everyone's doing the same old, same old.  :-\\

Written By: 2001 on 06/26/17 at 10:22 pm

Can you believe I only just listened to Despicito? I'm so out of touch. Or the top 40 is irrelevant. I'm going for the latter.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/26/17 at 10:24 pm

I wonder if "Sign of the Times" and Jennifer Hudson's "Remember Me" may be a sign of things to come? While the success of both songs may have been brief, it's very possible that both songs are a precursor to a potential return of rock and R&B to the Top 40. Hopefully it's the case. Also, it's worth noting that a lot of this years releases were written/recorded in 2016, which may explain why mainstream music hasn't changed at all. It's entirely possible that there will be a shift in popular music over the next 6-12 months, as artists/bands are writing/recording new music as we speak.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/17 at 10:30 pm

Can you believe I only just listened to Despicito? I'm so out of touch. Or the top 40 is irrelevant. I'm going for the latter.

I'm not the best to ask what's relevant in pop culture. But you're probably more in touch than I am, even if you're not all caught up.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/17 at 10:32 pm

If I lived in 1983/1984 I would have bought the Thriller record in vinyl, and watched MTV everyday.

Written By: 2001 on 06/26/17 at 11:04 pm

I'm not the best to ask what's relevant in pop culture. But you're probably more in touch than I am, even if you're not all caught up.  8)

I listened to so much of Drake's latest red hot single, I forgot to listen to everything else :o

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/27/17 at 12:05 am

Jessie Reyez is trending #1 on iTunes atm. "Who?", you might ask. I looked her up and she seems to be this up-and-coming R&B-slash-rap-with-a-message artist who put out her debut album in April. The paradigm is shifting, my friends.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/27/17 at 12:44 am

I listened to so much of Drake's latest red hot single, I forgot to listen to everything else :o

Listening to beta male rap for sissies once again, eh? No standards! ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 06/27/17 at 1:10 am

I heard he's on the downlow. That's a good thing. He'll stand up for gay rights!  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 06/27/17 at 1:13 am

If the music industry wants to stop suffering, it needs to make better, organic, and innovative, music.  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

Written By: aspireone on 06/27/17 at 1:23 am

For some reason, we have no no. 1 hit from a woman and it's been guys topping the charts.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/17 at 7:15 am

I've switched to internet radio, maybe within the next couple of years I might not be listening to the radio that much at all. We got all the available sources for AM/FM radio at our fingertips, including Spotify and Iheartradio to name some and when you need your oldies music fix there's always YouTube.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 06/27/17 at 7:53 am

For some reason, we have no no. 1 hit from a woman and it's been guys topping the charts.

I noticed that, 2017 so far has been completely male dominated, every number one has been male including featured artists, twenty men and zero women have reached the top this year.

That Wild Thoughts song by DJ Khaled, Rihanna, and Bryson Tiller debuted at number 4 this week and it ended a streak of 12 weeks without a woman in the top 5 marking the longest amount of time since 1972.

I personally believe the reason why it's so male dominant is because streaming is so huge now and hip hop is the most popular genre on every streaming service which happens to be mostly male itself. 4 of the top 10 songs on Billboard are hip hop at the moment and you have hip hop influences on Despacito and Wild Thoughts as well.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/17 at 10:59 am

Listening to beta male rap for sissies once again, eh? No standards! ::)

It's not even rap anymore. You're so unhip!

Written By: Slim95 on 06/27/17 at 11:04 am

Same old junk  :P One thing I have noticed is there are far less serious ballads than there were in the mid '10s. 2014 was full of Sam Smith and John Legend, 2015 had "See You Again" and Adele's "Hello" as very popular hits. Now there is far less of that.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/17 at 11:10 am

I heard he's on the downlow. That's a good thing. He'll stand up for gay rights!  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X

He was in this Toronto video LOL

gLTcllilxfk

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/27/17 at 1:53 pm

It's not even rap anymore. You're so unhip!

I am totally hip! You're just jealous because I'm too with it. 8)

Written By: Slim95 on 06/30/17 at 3:56 pm

I think we need to stop thinking there will be changes in the top 40 and stop hoping for this because it just ain't gonna happen this year. 2017 is not the transitional year we all thought it would be, and it's time to come to terms with that. Yes I know there are still 6 more months of this year, but I'm not hoping or relying on anything. It will highly likely stay the same for some time.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 5:12 pm

I think we need to stop thinking there will be changes in the top 40 and stop hoping for this because it just ain't gonna happen this year. 2017 is not the transitional year we all thought it would be, and it's time to come to terms with that. Yes I know there are still 6 more months of this year, but I'm not hoping or relying on anything. It will highly likely stay the same for some time.  ;D

That's what I've been saying for a long time now.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/30/17 at 5:38 pm

That's what I've been saying for a long time now.

I didn't begin to notice a change in the social atmosphere last year until Aug/Sep. Maybe last year was the year of the social shift, and this year will be the year of the cultural shift.
I'd say, wait until' September before you write 2017 off completely.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 5:46 pm

I didn't begin to notice a change in the social atmosphere last year until Aug/Sep. Maybe last year was the year of the social shift, and this year will be the year of the cultural shift.
I'd say, wait until' September before you write 2017 off completely.

Then when September comes you'll say "wait until' December before you write 2017 off completely" ;D.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/30/17 at 9:51 pm

Then when September comes you'll say "wait until' December before you write 2017 off completely" ;D.

No.... I'll be gearing up for 2018 by then.
::)

Written By: 80sfan on 06/30/17 at 9:52 pm

What if we don't have 'the big shift' until 2020?  ???  ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 10:07 pm

No.... I'll be gearing up for 2018 by then.
::)

Alright then ;). At that time you'll say "we'll definitely see a shift by May 2018" ;D

I think that is probably when "the big shift" happens (or at least sometime from 2020-2022). I could be wrong but that's just how I feel.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/30/17 at 10:11 pm

Alright then ;). At that time you'll say "we'll definitely see a shift by May 2018" ;D
I think that is probably when "the big shift" happens (or at least sometime from 2020-2022). I could be wrong but that's just how I feel.

Not all 'shifts' happen at the '7', or '8', year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 10:54 pm

Not all 'shifts' happen at the '7', or '8', year.

Did I say that they did? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 06/30/17 at 11:00 pm

Did I say that they did? ???

No, I was just saying that they sometimes pop culture does shift in '7' and '8' years. Had nothing to do with you!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 11:04 pm

No, I was just saying that they sometimes pop culture does shift in '7' and '8' years. Had nothing to do with you!

OK...just making sure! ;).

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/30/17 at 11:43 pm

I doubt it'll take that long for any changes to set in, but who knows? I think by 2021 or 2022, we will be in a different world pop culturally. 2018 and 2019 should be transition years IMO. I don't think we'll see much changes in the coming months but, again, who knows?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/01/17 at 1:38 am

I doubt it'll take that long for any changes to set in, but who knows? I think by 2021 or 2022, we will be in a different world pop culturally. 2018 and 2019 should be transition years IMO. I don't think we'll see much changes in the coming months but, again, who knows?

Yeah...no one knows.

The 2010s has been the most monoculture decade since the 1980s.

Written By: Henk on 07/01/17 at 11:24 am

Same here. Maybe I'm just getting old...

On a different note: when I noticed Daddy Yankee was involved in Despacito, I was like: "I remember that guy! Didn't we have like a total irrelevant discussion about 'Gasolina' back in the day?" And yup, the thread is still there! ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/01/17 at 2:48 pm

What big shift? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/17 at 3:58 pm

I think so too. Probably 2018 or 2019.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/01/17 at 7:19 pm

Mister Worldwide needs to release a new single soon! We need another good hit of his back on the top 40! And I just can't wait for my girl Ke$ha to make her big comeback. Quality party music. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/17 at 9:24 pm

Mister Worldwide needs to release a new single soon! We need another good hit of his back on the top 40! And I just can't wait for my girl Ke$ha to make her big comeback. Quality party music. 8)

She released a new song. It's decent.

Written By: John Titor on 07/06/17 at 9:32 pm

I think so too. Probably 2018 or 2019.

that new trl is gonna be wild for culture

http://i.imgur.com/PMVUFd1.jpg

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/06/17 at 10:50 pm

that new trl is gonna be wild for culture

http://i.imgur.com/PMVUFd1.jpg

It'd be interesting, to say the least

Written By: 80sfan on 07/06/17 at 10:58 pm

She released a new song. It's decent.

It's okay. She went through a hard time though. I hope she's better now!  :\'(

Written By: John Titor on 07/07/17 at 10:09 am

The trend of vocals being chopped and screwed, listen to Sabrina Carpenters new song.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/07/17 at 10:41 am

The trend of vocals being chopped and screwed, listen to Sabrina Carpenters new song.

I hate that trend  8-P

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/08/17 at 9:46 pm

I'd like to look up this example but I don't know who Sabrina Carpenters are so I definitely don't know the name of her new song.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/08/17 at 10:58 pm

Sabrina Carpenter is only 2 months older than me :o. She was born on May 11, 1999....2 months and 2 days before me. I believe that she's the first American pop star born in 1999 :P.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/08/17 at 11:01 pm

I'd like to look up this example but I don't know who Sabrina Carpenters are so I definitely don't know the name of her new song.  ;D

She's the chick from girl meets world. She's popular with the kids now.  :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/08/17 at 11:27 pm

Sabrina Carpenter is only 2 months older than me :o. She was born on May 11, 1999....2 months and 2 days before me. I believe that she's the first American pop star born in 1999 :P.

I'm 1 month and 29 days older than her. To be honest, I've never even heard of her before. :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 12:00 am

I'm 1 month and 29 days older than her. To be honest, I've never even heard of her before. :P

I only know her because of the Web.  She was on the Disney Channel show, Girl Meets World (2014-2017)...which was the sequel to Boy Meets World (1993-2000).

Written By: #Infinity on 07/09/17 at 1:43 pm

Noah Cyrus, however, was born in the year 2000! Just barely, only 8 days in, but still! :o

Actually, Willow Smith was born in 2000 as well, and she had a hit back in 2010.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 1:51 pm

Noah Cyrus, however, was born in the year 2000! Just barely, only 8 days in, but still! :o

Actually, Willow Smith was born in 2000 as well, and she had a hit back in 2010.

Yeah, Noah Cyrus was born Jan. 8, 2000.

Willow was born on Halloween Day 2000 (October 31, 2000)...I actually have a friend that was born on the same day. It's crazy that she had a hit so early :o. I remember "Whip My Hair" back in 5th grade :P.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 1:51 pm

Are there any singers born later than 2000 yet? I don't really know of any in particular. I know there's a lot of late '90s now and a few 2000 like Noah Cyrus. I actually remember Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair" very well actually, I know she was only 9/10 still then that's crazy.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 1:52 pm

Are there any singers born later than 2000 yet? I don't really know of any in particular. I know there's a lot of late '90s now and a few 2000 like Noah Cyrus. I actually remember Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair" very well actually, I know she was only 9/10 still then that's crazy.

MattyB? ::) ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 1:55 pm

Many singers I listen to now are quite a bit younger than me. Like I'm listening to Camila Cabello, and she's 10 years younger than me. Hailee Steinfeld is also around 10 years younger than me and I listen to her quite a bit.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 1:56 pm

MattyB? ::) ;D

;D Oh God. Yeah I don't listen to him.  ;D 8-P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 1:57 pm

Many singers I listen to now are quite a bit younger than me. Like I'm listening to Camila Cabello, and she's 10 years younger than me. Hailee Steinfeld is also around 10 years younger than me and I listen to her quite a bit.  ;D

Camila was born in March 1997 (2 years and 4 months older than me) and Hailee was born in December 1996 (2 and a half years older than me). They are both talented and I have a crush on both of them :P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 1:59 pm

;D Oh God. Yeah I don't listen to him.  ;D 8-P

I don't listen to him either ;D.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 1:59 pm

Camila was born in March 1997 (2 years and 4 months older than me) and Hailee was born in December 1996 (2 and a half years older than me). They are both talented and I have a crush on both of them :P.

Yeah I do too actually.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 2:00 pm

Yeah I do too actually.  ;D

Aren't they a bit too young for ya? ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 2:02 pm

Aren't they a bit too young for ya? ;)

Yeah I know, but hey they're legal I can appreciate their looks.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 2:07 pm

Yeah I know, but hey they're legal I can appreciate their looks.  ;D

HAHA ;D.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 2:09 pm

It's really annoying that Kesha is like the first singer I always think of that was born in 1987 like me. Idk she's pretty lame I wish there were better singers born the same year as me. Camila and Hailee are like 10 years younger yet still way better than freaking Kesha.  ;D Rihanna is only 9 months younger than me and I do generally like her at least but still she was born the year after.  :-\\

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 2:19 pm

It's really annoying that Kesha is like the first singer I always think of that was born in 1987 like me. Idk she's pretty lame I wish there were better singers born the same year as me. Camila and Hailee are like 10 years younger yet still way better than freaking Kesha.  ;D Rihanna is only 9 months younger than me and I do generally like her at least but still she was born the year after.  :-\\

Hey look on the bright side....us '99ers have Sabrina Carpenter. LOL :P.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 2:27 pm

What do you guys think of this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBFiq2iCEvg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/09/17 at 4:24 pm

Kesha's new song is ok but it's not as epic as her early stuff. Maybe another collab with Mr. Worldwide will bring her up to speed. 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/09/17 at 5:52 pm

Kesha's new song is ok but it's not as epic as her early stuff. Maybe another collab with Mr. Worldwide will bring her up to speed. 8)

I agree! 8).

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/19/17 at 12:10 am

I just glanced at the Billboard and Redbone by Childish Gambino is at 14. My God. That's a sleeper hit for you.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/20/17 at 10:54 am

Her new song is more of a personal statement and not really a club anthem like she is known for.  Will be interesting to hear what she does next.  I agree, another collaboration with Pitbull could be good.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/20/17 at 1:21 pm

Her new song is more of a personal statement and not really a club anthem like she is known for.  Will be interesting to hear what she does next.  I agree, another collaboration with Pitbull could be good.

I hope she returns to some Animal-styled songs with Pitbull on production.

Check for new replies or respond here...