inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to 2D animated films?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 3:20 pm

I was inspired by a recent video titled "How RUGRATS Ended 2D DISNEY ANIMATION" by the YouTuber RebelTaxi (aka Pan-Pizza). You can watch his video here:

ED0ySD51Z2U

He talks about how Disney went from dominating the 1990s with 2D films to now dominating the 2010s with 3D films. Ever since the 2000s, there has been a decline in 2D animated movies and a huge rise in 3D animated movies. It's interesting because it's true (at least in the USA) because just look at all the popular animated movies of the 2010s...they are ALL in 3D. Also, look at both the upcoming and recently released animated movies of this year....they are ALL in 3D....that's crazy.

RebelTaxi talks about a speculative reason as to why this is the case (1998's The Rugrats Movie) and it's an interesting video. Personally, I prefer 2D animation (in both cartoons and movies) but there are obviously 3D animated movies and cartoons that I like. Most of the recent 3D animated films coming out (or have come out) are just been boring looking...they all look the same. I wish 3D animated movies would become more stylish. However, my biggest wish is that in the 2020s....more 2D animated films are released (at least have one 2D animated movie released a year).

What do you think? Do you agree with RebelTaxi? What happened to 2D animated films?

Subject: Re: What happened to 2D animated films?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/27/17 at 4:23 pm

Man, whenever somebody mentions this, I feel a bit uncertain. I feel like 2000s kids were the last generation to see actual mainstream 2D films. I mean, you had stuff like Teacher's Pet: The Movie, The Spongebob Movie, The Powerpuff Girls Movie, Ponyo, Spirit (the horse), Lilo & Stitch, and The Simpsons Movie doing decent in theaters. Even though '00s kids mostly saw CGI films because of Pixar's growth with Toy Story, they at least saw a balance of 2D and 3D movies during their childhood decade. Nowadays, you basically see kids obsessing over Frozen or the Minions of all things. It's really sad where you saw a lot of good 2D films, which ended up being a homage to 3D films now. With this rate, I don't think we'll ever see a 2D animated film ever in the near future. Or unless Disney does something old-school, in which would rarely bring any kids' attention now.  :\'(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 4:40 pm

Man, whenever somebody mentions this, I feel a bit uncertain. I feel like 2000s kids were the last generation to see actual mainstream 2D films. I mean, you had stuff like Teacher's Pet: The Movie, The Spongebob Movie, The Powerpuff Girls Movie, Ponyo, Spirit (the horse), Lilo & Stitch, and The Simpsons Movie doing decent in theaters. Even though ;00s kids mostly saw CGI films because of Pixar's growth with Toy Story, they at least saw a balance of 2D and 3D movies during their childhood decade. Nowadays, you basically see kids obsessing over Frozen or the Minions of all things. It's really sad where you saw a lot of good 2D films, which ended up being a homage to 3D films now. With this rate, I don't think we'll ever see a 2D animated film ever in the near future. Or unless Disney does something old-school, in which would rarely bring any kids' attention now.  :\'(

I agree with most of your statement. However, I think that 2D animated films can still be very successful on the big screen.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 06/27/17 at 5:07 pm

Man it really saddens me how 2d animation became viewed. Unfortunately I am ashamed to admit I was one of those people as a child. When I was young in the early 2000's all I ever wanted to watch was 3d animated films and I think I even looked down at 2d animated films at one point. But I guess now I know why, since they were coming out with lower quality 2d films which made the 3d ones look better

Now that I'm older and a big fan of animation in general I love 2D (Fantasia and Pinnochio for example I think are absolute masterpieces!) and I think there really is an over saturation of 3D animated films today. There seems to be a sense that animated movies aren't special anymore because there's so many each year. I wish that someday 2D makes a comeback although in a brand new way. I guess we can only hope.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 5:20 pm

Man it really saddens me how 2d animation became viewed. Unfortunately I am ashamed to admit I was one of those people as a child. When I was young in the early 2000's all I ever wanted to watch was 3d animated films and I think I even looked down at 2d animated films at one point. But I guess now I know why, since they were coming out with lower quality 2d films which made the 3d ones look better

Now that I'm older and a big fan of animation in general I love 2D (Fantasia and Pinnochio for example I think are absolute masterpieces!) and I think there really is an over saturation of 3D animated films today. There seems to be a sense that animated movies aren't special anymore because there's so many each year. I wish that someday 2D makes a comeback although in a brand new way. I guess we can only hope.

Yeah man. I totally feel you and agree with you. There should be a 2D animated movie renaissance in the 2020s 8).

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/17 at 5:38 pm

2D animation's death is primarily Pavlovian. Traditionally animated films in the west were predominantly forgettable, safe, or shoddily written during the early 2000s, while 3D-animated features from the same sub-era, such as Shrek, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc., and the first Ice Age movie, were consistently witty, imaginative, and more successful in appealing to all ages than movies that were either tied down to family feature tropes (i.e. Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Brother Bear) or were just clumsy attempts to bring television-style writing to the big screen (The Powerpuff Girls Movie, the live action/animated hybrid Osmosis Jones). After a huge string of box office bombs, including from Disney, Hollywood got the impression that traditionally animated movies were bound to flop, and as such began emulating the aesthetics of Shrek and Pixar, regardless of whether or not they realized how much the writing, not really the animation, factored into their success. The last truly big 2D animated film was The Simpsons Movie, and that was riding off the success of a television show that had already heavily established its appeal to all audiences, even well after its decline. The Princess and the Frog did okay, but it still didn't really perform any better than Brother Bear and Lilo & Stitch did in the early 2000s, despite its more traditional presentation.

You'll notice that unlike western animation, 2D anime has remained alive and well, regardless of its smaller crossover appeal outside of Japan this decade. Part of it could be Japan's determination to preserve its own form of art as a national symbol, but even with some 3D integration in the Land of the Rising Sun, classic anime has never garnered the unfortunate reputation of being lackluster and kid-oriented the way western 2D cartoons did in the early 2000s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 5:53 pm

2D animation's death is primarily Pavlovian. Traditionally animated films in the west were predominantly forgettable, safe, or shoddily written during the early 2000s, while 3D-animated features from the same sub-era, such as Shrek, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc., and the first Ice Age movie, were consistently witty, imaginative, and more successful in appealing to all ages than movies that were either tied down to family feature tropes (i.e. Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Brother Bear) or were just clumsy attempts to bring television-style writing to the big screen (The Powerpuff Girls Movie, the live action/animated hybrid Osmosis Jones). After a huge string of box office bombs, including from Disney, Hollywood got the impression that traditionally animated movies were bound to flop, and as such began emulating the aesthetics of Shrek and Pixar, regardless of whether or not they realized how much the writing, not really the animation, factored into their success. The last truly big 2D animated film was The Simpsons Movie, and that was riding off the success of a television show that had already heavily established its appeal to all audiences, even well after its decline. The Princess and the Frog did okay, but it still didn't really perform any better than Brother Bear and Lilo & Stitch did in the early 2000s, despite its more traditional presentation.

You'll notice that unlike western animation, 2D anime has remained alive and well, regardless of its smaller crossover appeal outside of Japan this decade. Part of it could be Japan's determination to preserve its own form of art as a national symbol, but even with some 3D integration in the Land of the Rising Sun, classic anime has never garnered the unfortunate reputation of being lackluster and kid-oriented the way western 2D cartoons did in the early 2000s.

Yeah, you got it. RebelTaxi also said most of the same things that you said in the video. I wonder if 2D animated films can become popular again in the USA?

Also, isn't it interesting that Japan has retained it's 2D animated film presence and it's a country that is in general more technologically advanced than the US? I think that's a bit ironic..even funny, lol.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/27/17 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, you got it. RebelTaxi also said most of the same things that you said in the video. I wonder if 2D animated films can become popular again in the USA?

Also, isn't it interesting that Japan has retained it's 2D animated film presence and it's a country that is in general more technologically advanced than the US? I think that's a bit ironic..even funny, lol.

I think they still have popular 2D animated films because anime has become culturally influential in not only Japan, but also the whole world. That's probably why anime is taken more seriously than western animation (sadly).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 6:02 pm

I think they still have popular 2D animated films because anime has become culturally influential in not only Japan, but also the whole world. That's probably why anime is taken more seriously than western animation (sadly).

Well, we're talking about Japanese animated films which isn't the same as Japanese anime (animated cartoons from Japan). Whatever the reason....I still wish the US loved 2D animated films as much as our Japanese counterparts.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/27/17 at 6:24 pm

Well, we're talking about Japanese animated films which isn't the same as Japanese anime (animated cartoons from Japan). Whatever the reason....I still wish the US loved 2D animated films as much as our Japanese counterparts.

A lot of people do consider them as anime though. However, they aren't really the same as Japan's TV cartoons (which is what most popular anime came from). Although I wish people tried making 2D animated films more, even though it's more expensive than 3D animated ones.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/27/17 at 6:24 pm

"Home On The Range" permanently killed 2D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 6:31 pm

A lot of people do consider them as anime though. However, they aren't really the same as Japan's TV cartoons (which is what most popular anime came from). Although I wish people tried making 2D animated films more, even though it's more expensive than 3D animated ones.

They could do what the team behind Season 5 of Samurai Jack did and use computers to make 2D animation. That will be more or less the same cost as making a 3D animated film (or even less).

Not permanently...2D animation and 2D animated films still exist...they just aren't as popular as before.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/17 at 6:34 pm

It was the final nail in the coffin after several underperforming 2D animated films since the year 2000, but I'd have to agree that no other movie is more emblamatic of the art style's death in American cinema than that movie in particular. Especially in contrast to the monster hit Shrek 2, which was released roughly around the same time, traditionally animated films suddenly seemed like a complete and utter joke, intended for nobody except the Playhouse Disney, PBS, and Nick Jr. crowds. I remember seeing the poster for Home on the Range at my local Edwards, and never before in my life had I felt like I had outgrown something the way I felt I was too old for 2D Disney movies at the time (and I was still a serious fan of Codename: Kids Next Door then).

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/27/17 at 6:37 pm

They could do what the team behind Season 5 of Samurai Jack did and use computers to make 2D animation. That will be more or less the same cost as making a 3D animated film (or even less).

Honestly, that would've been a great idea. You could use computers along with Flash-animated programs to put out 2D animation to make a feature-length film. That's what made the 5th season of Samurai Jack more distinct than the first four seasons, since they were made more traditionally animated. But with a 2D animated film, that would've been awesome for this decade. Or they could revive it by the early 2020s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 6:41 pm

It was the final nail in the coffin after several underperforming 2D animated films since the year 2000, but I'd have to agree that no other movie is more emblamatic of the art style's death in American cinema than that movie in particular. Especially in contrast to the monster hit Shrek 2, which was released roughly around the same time, traditionally animated films suddenly seemed like a complete and utter joke, intended for nobody except the Playhouse Disney, PBS, and Nick Jr. crowds. I remember seeing the poster for Home on the Range at my local Edwards, and never before in my life had I felt like I had outgrown something the way I felt I was too old for 2D Disney movies at the time (and I was still a serious fan of Codename: Kids Next Door then).

LOL, you were a fan of KND when you were 12? Presumably, you watched it when you were a teen as well...so you were the enemy when you watched the show :P.

Honestly, that would've been a great idea. You could use computers along with Flash-animated programs to put out 2D animation to make a feature-length film. That's what made the 5th season of Samurai Jack more distinct than the first four seasons, since they were made more traditionally animated. But with a 2D animated film, that would've been awesome for this decade. Or they could revive it by the early 2020s.

Well, I don't think that they used Flash for Season 5 of Samurai Jack (not to my knowledge) and I don't think they should use Flash (you get things like Teen Titans Go!). However, they can still use other computer programs and create a 2D animated film and I definitely hope that 2D animated films make a comeback in the 2020s.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/27/17 at 6:43 pm

Well, I don't think that they used Flash for Season 5 of Samurai Jack (not to my knowledge) and I don't think they should use Flash (you get things like Teen Titans Go!). However, they can still use other computer programs and create a 2D animated film and I definitely hope that 2D animated films make a comeback in the 2020s.

So.. stuff like Toonboom (the same program that Rick and Morty used)? Flash could've been an option, but maybe not as much as other ones (like you said).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 6:57 pm

So.. stuff like Toonboom (the same program that Rick and Morty used)? Flash could've been an option, but maybe not as much as other ones (like you said).

I don't know what program they used for Season 5 of Samurai Jack.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/17 at 8:24 pm

LOL, you were a fan of KND when you were 12? Presumably, you watched it when you were a teen as well...so you were the enemy when you watched the show :P.

I think around that time, my interests were drifting away from kid culture and more towards teen and adult culture; by then, I was heavily into popular music and had been watching Survivor for a year, but the sheer quality and originality of Codename: Kids Next Door kept me tuned to Cartoon Network all through the rest of 2004, even though I watched little else besides the more preteen-oriented Miguzi block. KND is undoubtedly my favorite childhood show ever, thanks to its amusing satire of children's perspective of the world while still delivering likable characters, a charming animation style that deftly modernizes 30s-style models, an increasingly flesh-out universe, and stories that provided genuine adventure, even with their humorous tone. Although I felt I had finally outgrown KND by the time 2005 rolled around and I was close to turning 13 (ironic, if you know the show), in retrospect, it's one or the only kid-oriented cartoons that can somewhat contend against my favorite adult television. I don't know, it just really resonated with me personally.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 9:25 pm

I think around that time, my interests were drifting away from kid culture and more towards teen and adult culture; by then, I was heavily into popular music and had been watching Survivor for a year, but the sheer quality and originality of Codename: Kids Next Door kept me tuned to Cartoon Network all through the rest of 2004, even though I watched little else besides the more preteen-oriented Miguzi block. KND is undoubtedly my favorite childhood show ever, thanks to its amusing satire of children's perspective of the world while still delivering likable characters, a charming animation style that deftly modernizes 30s-style models, an increasingly flesh-out universe, and stories that provided genuine adventure, even with their humorous tone. Although I felt I had finally outgrown KND by the time 2005 rolled around and I was close to turning 13 (ironic, if you know the show), in retrospect, it's one or the only kid-oriented cartoons that can somewhat contend against my favorite adult television. I don't know, it just really resonated with me personally.

Yeah I loved KND growing up and I totally agree with you on your summation of KND.

I was jokingly pointing out that you watched it at the ages of 12 and 13 which means that you would have been the "enemy" :P.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/27/17 at 9:39 pm

Yeah I loved KND growing up and I totally agree with you on your summation of KND.

Yeah, it was an absolute classic and undoubtedly underrated. It did well enough to run for a full 6 seasons, spawn made-for-tv movies, and have some merchandise, but it feels like nobody really talked about it to the degree they discussed other shows like SpongeBob, Teen Titans, Kim Possible, Danny Phantom, and the ilk, which is a shame.

I was jokingly pointing out that you watched it at the ages of 12 and 13 which means that you would have been the "enemy" :P.

I'd only become the enemy as soon as I turned 13, the age at which KND operatives are decommissioned.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 10:16 pm

Yeah, it was an absolute classic and undoubtedly underrated. It did well enough to run for a full 6 seasons, spawn made-for-tv movies, and have some merchandise, but it feels like nobody really talked about it to the degree they discussed other shows like SpongeBob, Teen Titans, Kim Possible, Danny Phantom, and the ilk, which is a shame.

I totally agree.

I'd only become the enemy as soon as I turned 13, the age at which KND operatives are decommissioned.

Yeah I know. In the show though, 12 was a transition age where you start to think like a teen and become angsty. Then when you turn 13...you become a full blown teen, which is funny because IRL that's not true for most people.

Written By: 2001 on 06/27/17 at 10:18 pm

I remember on my 13th birthday, my brother told me I couldn't watch the show anymore and that I was the enemy. :o I think the show ended not long after that.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/27/17 at 10:21 pm

Yeah, I prefer 2D animation more than 3D.  8)  8)  8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 10:25 pm

I remember on my 13th birthday, my brother told me I couldn't watch the show anymore and that I was the enemy. :o I think the show ended not long after that.

Your 13th birthday was in February 2006 and Codename: Kids Next Door ended in January 2008.....I guess that's close :P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 10:26 pm

Yeah, I prefer 2D animation more than 3D.  8)  8)  8)

Me too 8).

Written By: 80sfan on 06/27/17 at 10:27 pm

Me too 8).

No three dimensional folks, please! I'm just joking!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 10:29 pm

No three dimensional folks, please! I'm just joking!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I await your 3D! :D

Written By: 80sfan on 06/27/17 at 10:36 pm

I await your 3D! :D

I don't have a 3D body, just a 2D one! I must return to my home planet.  :(  :(  :-[

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/27/17 at 10:38 pm

I don't have a 3D body, just a 2D one! I must return to my home planet.  :(  :(  :-[

Is it game over? :-\\

Written By: #Infinity on 06/28/17 at 12:22 am

Yeah I know. In the show though, 12 was a transition age where you start to think like a teen and become angsty. Then when you turn 13...you become a full blown teen, which is funny because IRL that's not true for most people.

The show ironically sort of expressed this, actually, in Operation: S.L.U.M.B.E.R., in which Numbuh 12 goes Judas on the team's arses because she's almost 13. I think that's one of the only episodes in the entire series in which the result is mission failed, and it all hinged around that age childhood/adolescent cusp.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/28/17 at 1:16 am

The show ironically sort of expressed this, actually, in Operation: S.L.U.M.B.E.R., in which Numbuh 12 goes Judas on the team's arses because she's almost 13. I think that's one of the only episodes in the entire series in which the result is mission failed, and it all hinged around that age childhood/adolescent cusp.

There's also episode "Operation: E.N.D." where Number 86 arrives at the KND treehouse and captures Numbuh 2, 3, 4, and 5 for decommissioning. Numbuh 1, eludes Number 86, and tries to find out who's ordering the wrongful decommissioning of scores of KND operatives. It turns out it was Numbuh 274 (aka Chad)...who did it to hide the fact that his 13th birthday was approaching and he wanted to stay in command.

Check for new replies or respond here...