inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to the red-eye effect?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/28/17 at 1:01 am

I am seeing that less and less in personal photos from 2014 til now. It seems prior to around 2013, this red-eye effect was insanely common when pics were taken in a dimly lit setting. Nowadays, they are hard to find. Have the cameras (that people use today) advanced to the point where the red-eye effect is no longer a thing? And when did this happen, from your observation?

Subject: Re: What happened to the red-eye effect?

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/28/17 at 11:29 am

Maybe the use of flashing has diminished?

Written By: #Infinity on 06/28/17 at 11:44 am

From what I recall, red eye effects became obsolete when smartphones became standard. The last time I remember there still being red eyes was my last year of high school, which was 2010-2011. Not long after that, photos on social media were primarily taken using smartphone cameras instead of dumbphone cameras and traditional portable digital cameras.

Did people seriously want red eyes in their photographs? Unless they were going for a possessed look, I always remember red eyes being a nuisance to people, and methods of all sorts existed either to avoid or fix them. I really don't see why there's any question as to why the arc of technology ultimately shed red eyes in photos.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/28/17 at 1:16 pm

Nobody wants to photos with red-eyes. For one thing, it makes people look weird with the red-eye effect.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/17 at 2:49 pm

Nobody wants to photos with red-eyes. For one thing, it makes people look weird with the red-eye effect.

It makes them look demonic.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/47/Red-eye_effect.png

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/17 at 10:46 pm

It was the flash that did that. It would reflect the blood behind the melanin/retina in your eyes. You can still try it with a smartphone lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/17 at 11:52 pm

For the singer Dean Martin, the red eye effect ceased when he stopped drinking... ?  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/01/17 at 7:19 am

I am seeing that less and less in personal photos from 2014 til now. It seems prior to around 2013, this red-eye effect was insanely common when pics were taken in a dimly lit setting. Nowadays, they are hard to find. Have the cameras (that people use today) advanced to the point where the red-eye effect is no longer a thing? And when did this happen, from your observation?

I don't miss red eyes. Consider this a good thing.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/01/17 at 11:24 am

I don't miss red eyes. Consider this a good thing.

I don't think anybody misses red eyes. They're a pain in the ass to go through. It also makes people look a bit creepy.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/17 at 2:46 pm

I don't think anybody misses red eyes. They're a pain in the ass to go through. It also makes people look a bit creepy.

It makes them look demonic.

Check for new replies or respond here...