inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is anyone else annoyed at everything different being mocked and called cringey?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/29/17 at 9:43 am

It's like we're in a competition to be the most boring and conformist ever.
The cringe culture is also used as an excuse to bully people
or send massive hate messages to videos.

Any big emotion is bad, anything slightly different is bad, anything opinionated is bad today

Subject: Re: Is anyone else annoyed at everything different being mocked and called cringey?

Written By: 2001 on 06/29/17 at 10:06 am

That happens a lot on this forum  :-X

Let me listen to Popular Song in peace god damnit.

Subject: Re: Is anyone else annoyed at everything different being mocked and called cringey?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/29/17 at 10:15 am

I've seen this a lot and I kinda take part of watching cringe videos on YouTube. Especially on videos made by 10-13 year olds that have obnoxious names. There's this program called GoAnimate that really gets on my nerves, since the videos that these kids are excruciatingly repetitive. It's literally the same thing, but they sometimes put in schemes to make themselves "entertained". Here are a few videos that are noteworthy in terms of the community.

UIooIdbZ5Bs
0BLlGCpRSxo
upFNx9AnlIg

To put something out as well, the characters look terribly made due to the limitations of the program's software.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/29/17 at 11:20 am

It's like we're in a competition to be the most boring and conformist ever.
The cringe culture is also used as an excuse to bully people
or send massive hate messages to videos.

Any big emotion is bad, anything slightly different is bad, anything opinionated is bad today

The absolute worst part of it is that the purveyors of popular culture profess this age to be the most diverse and accepting ever. It's one thing to be backwards and prejudiced, but it's another to be hypocritically backstabbing, as well. 2017 may have seen countless advertisements with pro-diversity, anti-Trump undertones, but then you also have things like a Jewish rainbow flag being banned from a pride parade because it was "triggering." This age just has such a stench of ego, insensitivity, myopia, bitterness, shallowness, and conformity that, for me at least, there's absolutely no point in savoring the public scene. At this point, I'm probably only going to meet my future lovergirl in some online corner, conveniently free of modern corruption and thus more hospitable to women of my type.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/29/17 at 1:42 pm

I agree completely. In fact I take it as a big "f*** you" when people talk about how the 2010s are so "open and accepting". I've never felt more out of place than I do now. We've created this "one size fits all" culture, so that there are no longer any alternatives, or niche groups/subcultures. All this "one size fits all" culture has done is create the illusion that people are so much more "accepting" The only reason it seems that way is because everyone is the freaking same! Same views on life, same taste in fashion, movies, tv shows, and same political views. Anyone who doesn't fit into today's culture is left out in the dust.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/29/17 at 2:14 pm

I agree completely. In fact I take it as a big "f*** you" when people talk about how the 2010s are so "open and accepting". I've never felt more out of place than I do now. We've created this "one size fits all" culture, so that there are no longer any alternatives, or niche groups/subcultures. All this "one size fits all" culture has done is create the illusion that people are so much more "accepting" The only reason it seems that way is because everyone is the freaking same! Same views on life, same taste in fashion, movies, tv shows, and same political views. Anyone who doesn't fit into today's culture is left out in the dust.

This is why I joined this site in the first place. I can't really find something that would make me introduce to certain people, so I don't really like the same music, shows, and movies of all people. It's really sad for anybody who isn't obsessed with Steven Universe, Game of Thrones, Katy Perry, etc.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 2:22 pm

I find Steven Universe to be so overrated. It's not a bad cartoon but it's not nearly as groundbreaking and awesome as many people online are claiming that it is. Same thing with Rick and Morty :-X.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/29/17 at 3:44 pm

I find Steven Universe to be so overrated. It's not a bad cartoon but it's not nearly as groundbreaking and awesome as many people online are claiming that it is. Same thing with Rick and Morty :-X.

Same here. They're not bad, but they're not the best cartoons that Cartoon Network has ever put out. I just can't stand people preaching them like they are masterpieces.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 3:50 pm

Same here. They're not bad, but they're not the best cartoons that Cartoon Network has ever put out. I just can't stand people preaching them like they are masterpieces.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way :-X.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/29/17 at 5:44 pm

I do hate it. I have a older sister who's basically the embodiment of it. She doesn't understand personal experimenting and twist my words around when I try to explain my reasoning behind them.

Steven Universe is flawed as hell. Haha I'm waiting for Jasper's redemption.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 06/30/17 at 11:16 am

The absolute worst part of it is that the purveyors of popular culture profess this age to be the most diverse and accepting ever. It's one thing to be backwards and prejudiced, but it's another to be hypocritically backstabbing, as well. 2017 may have seen countless advertisements with pro-diversity, anti-Trump undertones, but then you also have things like a Jewish rainbow flag being banned from a pride parade because it was "triggering." This age just has such a stench of ego, insensitivity, myopia, bitterness, shallowness, and conformity that, for me at least, there's absolutely no point in savoring the public scene. At this point, I'm probably only going to meet my future lovergirl in some online corner, conveniently free of modern corruption and thus more hospitable to women of my type.

I agree entirely, though I noticed the conformity increasingly drastically after 9/11 and don't think it went away afterward, even if it lightened up a bit here and there. Many people older than me have said the push toward where we are now began under Reagan and had its roots in the cultural and economic shocks of the 70s. So on this view, even the liberality of 90s culture was just a short-lived aberration from the overall trend. What might be needed is the growth of a real counterculture, not just the tamed and soon commercialized cliques or identities of recent decades, but something like the 60s - a mass movement - and whether or not that's possible anymore, given the fragmented and survival driven state of society, is questionable.

Check for new replies or respond here...