inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WTF happened to VH1 ?

Written By: John Titor on 07/02/17 at 4:27 pm

I look at BET and VH1 and their lineups are the same. Does anyone remember the days of , Rock of Love, The Surreal Life, I love the 80's, top 20 countdown /vspot
with the fat bald guy.

WTF happened to vh1, all I see is Hip hop wives atlanta all day every day. The logo sucks as well.

Subject: Re: WTF happened to VH1 ?

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/02/17 at 4:41 pm

VH1 just sucks. It hasn't been the same since the early 2010s. Although as a person who has never watched their shows before, I could care less.

Written By: John Titor on 07/02/17 at 4:50 pm

VH1 just sucks. It hasn't been the same since the early 2010s. Although as a person who has never watched their shows before, I could care less.

Vh1 used to be very good back in the mid 2000s

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/02/17 at 5:35 pm

I look at BET and VH1 and their lineups are the same. Does anyone remember the days of , Rock of Love, The Surreal Life, I love the 80's, top 20 countdown /vspot
with the fat bald guy.

I'll go you one better. I remember VH1 when it was new in 1985. VH1 was started by MTV, which at the time showed music videos aimed at young people (Generation X, although not yet named as such), as sort of an "adult alternative" to MTV, to capture the just- starting-to-age Boomer market. VH1 basically featured "classic rock" artists from the 60s and 70s who were still sustaining decent careers in the 80s and making videos. Artists like The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart etc. I remember a very good music/talk show on VH1 in those days hosted by Nile Rodgers called "New Visions" where he would jam with musical guests and engage in intelligent conversation. Among the guests I recall were Lou Reed and Nona Hendryx.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/02/17 at 5:47 pm

That was when VH1 was really good, since it was basically a better version of MTV by that point.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/02/17 at 6:09 pm

Rock of Love? Nah. VH1 was all about Flavor of Love. It actually had a plot. Flav had to use his wealth to win hearts. Rock of Love was just about a dude who knew he could get that one thing. I just wanna point this out. Haha Rock of Love was generally entertaining.

I was kind of hooked on VH1 in 2006.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/02/17 at 8:03 pm

I'll go you one better. I remember VH1 when it was new in 1985. VH1 was started by MTV, which at the time showed music videos aimed at young people (Generation X, although not yet named as such), as sort of an "adult alternative" to MTV, to capture the just- starting-to-age Boomer market. VH1 basically featured "classic rock" artists from the 60s and 70s who were still sustaining decent careers in the 80s and making videos. Artists like The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart etc. I remember a very good music/talk show on VH1 in those days hosted by Nile Rodgers called "New Visions" where he would jam with musical guests and engage in intelligent conversation. Among the guests I recall were Lou Reed and Nona Hendryx.

Rod was still cranking out Top 40 hits in the late '80s though. Stuff like "Forever Young". His career didn't necessarily go down the sh*tter until' the 90s, and even then, he was still touring.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/17 at 8:06 pm

Several years ago the folks at VH1 decided to focus their product on the "black demographic", churning out crap that mainly stars black "reality" cast members.

We're not talking The Cosby Show or Moesha here... not even stuff along the lines of the 1970's blaxploitation fare.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/reality-tv/vh1-targets-black-viewers-1.3811656

Apparently the lineup is working because today is a "Love and Hip Hop in Atlanta" and tomorrow is dominated with "Basketball Wives" reruns.

VH1 does not even do a Top Twenty countdown any more.  :-\\

Written By: Dude111 on 07/02/17 at 10:26 pm

I'll go you one better. I remember VH1 when it was new in 1985. VH1 was started by MTV, which at the time showed music videos aimed at young people (Generation X, although not yet named as such), as sort of an "adult alternative" to MTV, to capture the just- starting-to-age Boomer market.

Yes in the 80s they were awesome. Now all of them suck!!!!!

Nothing but garbage on them!! (Reality crap,etc)

Written By: Howard on 07/03/17 at 2:44 pm

I remember when they shown music videos.

Written By: John Titor on 07/03/17 at 4:23 pm

Rock of Love? Nah. VH1 was all about Flavor of Love. It actually had a plot. Flav had to use his wealth to win hearts. Rock of Love was just about a dude who knew he could get that one thing. I just wanna point this out. Haha Rock of Love was generally entertaining.

I was kind of hooked on VH1 in 2006.

vh1 jump start in the morning was a tradition, sucks they got rid of it.
The V-Spot on Saturdays was like the perfect thing to have on before going out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/17 at 9:24 am

I liked Pop Up Video, and Behind the Music.  8)

Written By: Howard on 07/04/17 at 2:27 pm

I liked Pop Up Video, and Behind the Music.  8)

Me Too.

Written By: Ripley on 07/12/17 at 1:21 pm

It's gone to crap like MTV 😔

Written By: Howard on 07/12/17 at 3:13 pm

It's gone to crap like MTV 😔

I agree.

Written By: Lindee on 07/14/17 at 10:35 pm

with the fat bald guy.

WTF happened to vh1, all I see is Hip hop wives atlanta all day every day. The logo sucks as well.

I miss VH-1 Classic and That Metal Show. It's now MTV Classic which sucks.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/17 at 6:54 am

Behind the Music was awesome.  I wonder why some other channel hasn't picked it up.

It was great hearing the "back story" saga about performers like Rick James, or Rob and Fab from Milli Vanilli. Or even Leif Garrett.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/17 at 3:29 pm

I miss VH-1 Classic and That Metal Show. It's now MTV Classic which sucks.

You mean it sucks now? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/15/17 at 3:29 pm

Behind the Music was awesome.  I wonder why some other channel hasn't picked it up.

It was great hearing the "back story" saga about performers like Rick James, or Rob and Fab from Milli Vanilli. Or even Leif Garrett.

I miss Behind The Music too.

Written By: Lindee on 07/15/17 at 8:48 pm

You mean it sucks now? ???

Let me clarify: VH-1 Classic is now called MTV Classic which sucks. It doesn't have any of the same shows the VH-1 Classic had on. Also regular MTV sucks too.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/17 at 5:03 am

Let me clarify: VH-1 Classic is now called MTV Classic which sucks. It doesn't have any of the same shows the VH-1 Classic had on. Also regular MTV sucks too.

What about the classic music videos they show? ???

Written By: Lindee on 07/16/17 at 10:48 am

What about the classic music videos they show? ???

They don't show any that I know of. I don't normally watch it;  I'll check my online channel guide to see if anything good is on but there usually isn't.  When it first started they showed some Headbangers Ball and other classic shows but then stopped after awhile.

Written By: John Titor on 10/30/17 at 4:08 pm

Vh1s peak was easily 2006

Written By: bchris02 on 10/30/17 at 4:29 pm

As went AC, so went VH1.

AC today is a mere shadow of what it was only a decade ago.  It used to have its own flavor and now it seems to be where played out pop songs go to die.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/17 at 7:17 am

As went AC, so went VH1.

AC today is a mere shadow of what it was only a decade ago.  It used to have its own flavor and now it seems to be where played out pop songs go to die.

What's AC? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/17 at 7:21 am

What's AC? ???
Exactly, what is AC?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/17 at 1:43 pm

Adult contemporary.

VH1 was the AC answer to MTV.  It became popular as we got into the '90s and the original MTV viewer base aged out of the target audience.  While MTV was targeted primarily to teenagers and college students, VH1 was targeted to a slightly older (and more female) audience.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/31/17 at 1:58 pm

Adult contemporary.

VH1 was the AC answer to MTV.  It became popular as we got into the '90s and the original MTV viewer base aged out of the target audience.  While MTV was targeted primarily to teenagers and college students, VH1 was targeted to a slightly older (and more female) audience.

Actually, VH-1 began circa 1984. It was basically aimed at Boomers while MTV was catering to the then-emerging Gen X. So it wasn't like VH-1 was suddenly invented to catch an audience aging out of MTV. They were concurrent. To maximize audience and profit. VH-1 inintially ran videos by 60s and 70s artists still going strong in the 80s such as Fleetwood Mac, Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones, etc as well as primarily 80s artists like Sting and Peter Gabriel (yes , I know they both started in the 70s) who also had appeal to a slightly older audience.  A great piece of early VH-1 programming was a music/talk show hosted by Nile Rodgers called "New Visions"  that featured music and interviews with a range of esoteric artist from Lou Reed to Nona Hendryx. VH-1 would never have such good programming again.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/17 at 2:08 pm

Adult contemporary.

and didn't VH1 shown classic videos too?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/31/17 at 4:10 pm

I loved the "I Love the (80's/90's/2000's)" series. It's the perfect show for one who spends a lot of time on here, lol.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/31/17 at 5:49 pm

Yes they became garbage like MTV and MTV2!!

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/02/17 at 4:26 am

with the fat bald guy.

I've stopped watching VH1 and MTV long ago. My guess would be they are desperately trying to stay relevant and failing miserably. Some things do need to come to an end you know.

Yes they became garbage like MTV and MTV2!!

Wasn't MTV2 where they moved the music videos when the original MTV got into the reality show trend? What in the world do they need a second channel for now if not that?

Written By: Howard on 11/02/17 at 5:22 am

I've stopped watching VH1 and MTV long ago. My guess would be they are desperately trying to stay relevant and failing miserably. Some things do need to come to an end you know.
Wasn't MTV2 where they moved the music videos when the original MTV got into the reality show trend? What in the world do they need a second channel for now if not that?

and probably they also need to catch up with the demographic.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/02/17 at 6:32 am

and probably they also need to catch up with the demographic.

That too. Things that can't evolve fail.

Check for new replies or respond here...