inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Network Decay

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/03/17 at 10:52 am

The topic about the decline of VH1 made me think about this. Has anybody else noticed the evolving decline of networks showing what they were originally intended to show from a programming standpoint over the last 10 to 15 years?

To me, this is probably the biggest factor causing the decline of television ratings other than the rise of streaming service like Netflix and Hulu. The History Channel rarely shows history programming anymore, The Discovery Channel doesn't show scientific programming often, G4 had stopped showing programming related to video gaming long before it went out, A&E doesn't show programming related to the arts anymore, and TLC most certainly is not The Learning Channel anymore.

The thing that makes this even worse is not that these channels don't show their intended programming anymore, but also that they have little variety. History Channel just shows Pawn Stars 12 hours a day, USA shows day long Law & Order and NCIS marathons every day, MTV just shows reruns of random '90s shows all day. Who wants to watch the same show for 12 hours every day?

This is really what I think is hurting cable the most right now during it's massive decline. When I was a kid growing up back during the '90s, cable actually used to be pretty cool because networks had much more varied lineups and their own unique programming. Believe it or not, I actually used to get excited whenever a new channel was added to our lineup because I knew that new channel would have unique programming that I wouldn't get to see anywhere else. Networks are going to have to make some huge overhauls to their lineups soon, or the entire concept of channels may very well no longer be a thing by 2040.

Subject: Re: Network Decay

Written By: 80sfan on 07/03/17 at 11:02 am

Yes, I have noticed this.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/03/17 at 11:04 am

Yeah....I've noticed this. I was just thinking yesterday that there is really nothing to watch on TV. I go on CNN....it's the same garbage with Trump and whatever else. You go on Nick, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network and it's just (mostly) crappy cartoons and sitcoms....nothing to watch. You go on MTV, NH1, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc...nothing to watch. My mom and stepdad watch Investigation Discovery all day...sometimes I'll watch it with them but it gets boring (and sad) after a while because it's just about murder, murder, murder. You go on HBO, NBC, CBS, ABC and none of the shows that are on those channels appeal to me in anyway. Sitcoms and Drama shows today just aren't funny or as riveting as they used to be, IMO. There is literally NOTHING to watch on television today....at least in my opinion.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/03/17 at 11:22 am

Also, to me there is this weird correlation between the rise of HDTVs and the decline in quality overall of TV shows. Before HDTVs became the norm....there was an abundance of great cartoons, sitcoms and drama shows (not all were good but most were) but ever since HDTVs became the norm, most cartoons, sitcoms and dramas haven't been good or nearly as good as the ones before HDTVs became standard. I have noticed this for years now....I don't really know how to explain it but there is definitely something that happened to TV shows after HDTV became prominent.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/03/17 at 11:25 am

I noticed this so long ago. Haha Its a transitions gone wrong type of thing. I'm frustrated right now from how digital cable continue to play us for saps, still being so expensive when they know we can watch almost everything online now.

Written By: John Titor on 07/03/17 at 11:49 am

I noticed this so long ago. Haha Its a transitions gone wrong type of thing. I'm frustrated right now from how digital cable continue to play us for saps, still being so expensive when they know we can watch almost everything online now.

get sling tv its 20 bucks, via roku, amazon fire,xbox one,
CN, TNT, CNN, ESPn, USA, FX ,  no brainer

There is also ps vue, I think thats 29.99

Litreally LOL at anyone paying money for comcast when you can get cable for only 20 dollars
via live streaming services. Even the Showtime app (which is 11 dollars) has the live feeds of showtime in it.

I am guessing you are not the one paying the bill for cable tho, because you need to leave and join sling now lol

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/03/17 at 12:12 pm

I haven't watched TV regularly for four years now and I'm not surprised about this. Although I've noticed channels like Cartoon Network not showing actual cartoons for 8 years now, it was worse by the early 2010s. It's the same with other channels that have the same problem since 2010. I never really got excited with shows after that and instead watch my favorite ones over and over again. Even with that, it had me stop watching live television since 2013.

Every channel that I see is like this now. CNN and MSNBC shows nothing but Trump doing stupid bullcrap since his presidency. Nickelodeon shows inappropriate memes with their programming. Cartoon Network shows nothing but Teen Titans Go reruns (at least in America) for nearly 9 hours of its original block. MTV shows nothing but Jersey Shore and Teen Girl reruns nonstop. HBO shows nothing but Game of Thrones reruns (which really pisses me off because that show is entirely overrated). You go on a network channel like NBC and its programming is so forgettable that it just shows the local news.

My point is that nobody really cares about cable TV anymore. It's quite normal now to see people watch something from either Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube. You could eventually watch a video from YouTube that's an hour long and people could get more entertainment than something from cable. Hell, people are more attentive towards YouTube videos that people are starting to gain more money on YouTube than cable TV.

By this point, the traditional style of cable TV would be replaced by internet streaming in the near future. There's no point into watching television anymore, when you have people around the world obsess over YT nonstop since the very late 2000s. When YT introduced unlimited uploads in 2010, people went nuts and that's when the site started to crush cable TV as a whole. Anyone could just cancel their cable TV subscription and watch YouTube daily.

The only person in my family that still watches traditional television is my dad. Me, my mom, my cousins, my uncles, my aunts, and pretty much everyone else in my family uses the Internet to watch YouTube videos and Netflix's programming daily. It's pretty much the same towards the majority of first world countries, as cable TV is going through an obvious dark age.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/03/17 at 12:29 pm

Every channel that I see is like this now. CNN and MSNBC shows nothing but Trump doing stupid bullcrap since his presidency. Nickelodeon shows inappropriate memes with their programming. Cartoon Network shows nothing but Teen Titans Go reruns (at least in America) for nearly 9 hours of its original block. MTV shows nothing but Jersey Shore and Teen Girl reruns nonstop. HBO shows nothing but Game of Thrones reruns (which really pisses me off because that show is entirely overrated). You go on a network channel like NBC and its programming is so forgettable that it just shows the local news.

My point is that nobody really cares about cable TV anymore. It's quite normal now to see people watch something from either Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube. You could eventually watch a video from YouTube that's an hour long and people could get more entertainment than something from cable. Hell, people are more attentive towards YouTube videos that people are starting to gain more money on YouTube than cable TV.

I wholeheartedly agree with this part of your statement.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/03/17 at 12:41 pm

I noticed it escalated the past six, or seven years.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 07/03/17 at 1:02 pm

I noticed this too. It's pretty lame. The big and public channels still put out some decent stuff, but the "specialized" ones turned to crap quite a while ago.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/03/17 at 1:05 pm

I am guessing you are not the one paying the bill for cable tho, because you need to leave and join sling now lol

I haven't had cable in a full year now. Nostalgia is like ultimately my main focus now so I don't really crave for it until I want to watch Toonami.

I noticed this too. It's pretty lame. The big and public channels still put out some decent stuff, but the "specialized" ones turned to crap quite a while ago.

What's more amazing is, all of the big channels declined exactly around the same time. The late 2000s.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/03/17 at 1:10 pm

I haven't had cable in a full year now. Nostalgia is like ultimately my main focus now so I don't really crave for it until I want to watch Toonami.

My family still has cable, but nostalgia is also my main focus for now. The only show that I did watch on actual TV was Samurai Jack from March to May, but I still went back to my nostalgia after they ended the show.

What's more amazing is, all of the big channels declined exactly around the same time. The late 2000s.

To me, they started to decline around late 2007. It got worse by late 2009/early 2010.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/03/17 at 1:21 pm

My family still has cable, but nostalgia is also my main focus for now. The only show that I did watch on actual TV was Samurai Jack from March to May, but I still went back to my nostalgia after they ended the show.

Same here.

To me, they started to decline around late 2007. It got worse by late 2009/early 2010.

I agree.

Written By: wixness on 07/03/17 at 1:36 pm

Let's wait and see when cable TV gets killed off, then they will wake up and actually take a risk. Granted, I'm not a big fan of online streaming services as well because they're ditching shows that were once available on cable TV.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/03/17 at 1:46 pm

Let's wait and see when cable TV gets killed off, then they will wake up and actually take a risk. Granted, I'm not a big fan of online streaming services as well because they're ditching shows that were once available on cable TV.

People already woke up when they realized that YouTube has more content than cable TV alone.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/03/17 at 1:54 pm

There are TV channels like MeTV and Pop that show old or older shows from the 1950s-2000s.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/03/17 at 2:04 pm

There are TV channels like MeTV and Pop that show old or older shows from the 1950s-2000s.

There's also Decades, which is a new channel that also has TV shows from the 1950s-2000s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/03/17 at 2:24 pm

There's also Decades, which is a new channel that also has TV shows from the 1950s-2000s.

I don't think that I've seen Decades but I just searched it up and it's MeTV's sister channel. However, MeTV is available to more people and has a more "diverse" schedule.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/17 at 2:40 pm

I haven't watched TV regularly for four years now and I'm not surprised about this. Although I've noticed channels like Cartoon Network not showing actual cartoons for 8 years now, it was worse by the early 2010s. It's the same with other channels that have the same problem since 2010. I never really got excited with shows after that and instead watch my favorite ones over and over again. Even with that, it had me stop watching live television since 2013.

By this point, the traditional style of cable TV would be replaced by internet streaming in the near future. There's no point into watching television anymore, when you have people around the world obsess over YT nonstop since the very late 2000s. When YT introduced unlimited uploads in 2010, people went nuts and that's when the site started to crush cable TV as a whole. Anyone could just cancel their cable TV subscription and watch YouTube daily.

The only person in my family that still watches traditional television is my dad. Me, my mom, my cousins, my uncles, my aunts, and pretty much everyone else in my family uses the Internet to watch YouTube videos and Netflix's programming daily. It's pretty much the same towards the majority of first world countries, as cable TV is going through an obvious dark age.

I think that's what will happen in the next couple of years or so.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/17 at 2:41 pm

People already woke up when they realized that YouTube has more content than cable TV alone.

YouTube has over 2 billion hits.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/17 at 2:42 pm

The question is why isn't there anything to watch these days? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/03/17 at 2:45 pm

I don't know....shows just aren't as funny or riveting as they used to be (in general).

Written By: Howard on 07/03/17 at 3:18 pm

I don't know....shows just aren't as funny or riveting as they used to be (in general).

It seems like networks keep making more dumb shows and most of them keep tanking.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/03/17 at 3:20 pm

This is exactly the phrase. By 2009, the channels I watched were completely deceased.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/03/17 at 3:25 pm

Its kind of heart breaking once you realize music videos are never returning to regular cable. YouTube got rid of that to where, its unrealistic to be otherwise.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/03/17 at 3:35 pm

I guess its because they want to hip with today's young adults. Either that or they can't make serious writing anymore, which is sad.

This is exactly the phrase. By 2009, the channels I watched were completely deceased.

Yeah. It sucks that nobody can genuinely enjoy a decent show on cable TV now. It's all completely boring to where they probably want people to watch more Youtube.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/03/17 at 3:37 pm

I stopped watching TV regularly during the late 2000s, in 2009. I had noticed it going really downhill since the early 2000s or even 1999, though it was nowhere near as bad yet as it would be by, say, 2010.

It used to be that I'd watch TV several hours a day, back in the 90s and through most of the 2000s. Even when nothing I wanted to watch was on, which was happening more frequently as the decade progressed, I'd leave the TV on in the background, on a show that I liked but had seen a million times. Then when signals switched to digital only, or whatever that transition was, such that I couldn't watch TV without cable, I just went without TV for a few months because I was too broke to get cable. (I had gone pretty broke due to a layoff shortly before this transition and dropped my cable package - had had cable continuously since the early 90s.) When I did get cable back a few months later, my habit was broken and it has never come back.

Whereas TV had been a mainstay of my life before that, even leaving it on when there was nothing to watch, just for background noise and occasionally to look up and catch a laugh, then go back to paying attention to whatever else I was doing, after this transition and stint without TV, I rarely turned it back on - only to look for shows I wanted to see, and when there were none, I turned it back off. I had become used to the silence in the room.

The reason I say that TV had been going downhill since the early 2000s is that certain changes occurred at that time. First off: reality TV. Shows like Survivor and Joe Millionaire and whatever the other ones were held no appeal for me. They seemed shallow and immature, whereas I like cleverly written dramas, sitcoms etc. Even the sitcoms of this era seemed less good than, say, Seinfeld or early Simpsons or the first five or so season of Frasier. That 70s Show was decent, but was not at the level of those other three, for example.

I think TV started catering to simpler demographics and reality TV, especially, was a lot cheaper to produce than a show like Seinfeld and other good sitcoms. So networks started flooding TV with reality TV. In the mid 2000s, the History Channel was playing Ice Road Truckers, which could be interesting in its own way but really had nothing to do with history. Granted, it had often been called the Hitler channel in the past due to its focus on so much WWII, but at least that was history, and they also showed documentaries on Rome, Egypt, pirates, Russia etc. After Ice Road Truckers opened the door, along came Ax Men and the rest is history. Also, they were showing a lot of Nostradamus and alien stuff too at that time, which again I think was part of a pandering to the lowest common denominator that pop culture, especially TV, was edging toward in the 2000s.

Similar trajectories played out on other channels.

I started noticing marathons of movies like The Waterboy on cable in the early to mid 2000s. I always thought channels started doing this as a way to keep more money for themselves, or really for their executives. If they didn't have to buy the rights to a good variety of programs, but instead just showed the same things over and over, the channels could make more money, and of course cable bills were going up while they did this.

I think what's killing TV is a widespread culture of greed and shallowness that began ramping up around the late 90s and much more in the Bush years, and had pretty much hollowed out decades of traditions (sitcoms, educational programming, serious news) by the end of the 2000s decade. And it might be harder to make good programming now because the culture of TV has changed so much that a lot of people have forgotten what it is, or at least forgotten how to make it. The momentum is gone.

It also might be harder now to make shows that become as big or iconic as ones in decades past because the audience is now more fragmented and groups with different tastes are perhaps less open-minded about trying other things than they were back when there were fewer options of types of shows to watch. Game of Thrones is one of the few big shows out there today (and I do like it).

The internet, I'm sure, has had a big effect on the decline of TV, but I don't think TV needed to go down as hard and tragically as it has. If a variety of good stuff was on a lot more people would watch TV because it's easier than using the internet, especially when you're tired. In my case, in the last couple years I've used the internet mostly to watch shows: youtube shows, documentaries, older TV shows, and even some current shows, many of which are from Europe. So the demand for TV-style programming is there, but the supply is mainly coming from sources other than the established networks.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/17 at 2:31 pm

I guess its because they want to hip with today's young adults. Either that or they can't make serious writing anymore, which is sad.

Yeah. It sucks that nobody can genuinely enjoy a decent show on cable TV now. It's all completely boring to where they probably want people to watch more Youtube.

It's for today's demographic.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/17 at 3:41 pm

Network TV sux...

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/04/17 at 4:06 pm

Network TV sux...

Network and cable TV sux.  :\'(

Written By: Brian06 on 07/04/17 at 5:30 pm

That's why I dropped cable, though sometimes I miss the live sports. But I have no interest in all those lame cable TV reality shows. I used to sorta like Pawn Stars like 5 years ago...but I got really tired of that after a while. Currently, I actually only watch Antenna TV now which shows reruns of classic TV shows, and I watch other classic shows on Netflix or Hulu. No interest in any current TV whatsoever.

Written By: John Titor on 07/04/17 at 6:21 pm

That's why I dropped cable, though sometimes I miss the live sports. But I have no interest in all those lame cable TV reality shows. I used to sorta like Pawn Stars like 5 years ago...but I got really tired of that after a while. Currently, I actually only watch Antenna TV now which shows reruns of classic TV shows, and I watch other classic shows on Netflix or Hulu. No interest in any current TV whatsoever.

The only channels worth watching are,  FX, Teen Nick (for The splat), Cartoon Network Adult swim,  and HBO lol

Written By: Howard on 07/05/17 at 2:48 pm

Network TV sux...

You got that right. ::)

Written By: Dude111 on 07/05/17 at 5:03 pm

Network TV sux...

Ya got that right....Now it sure does!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/05/17 at 6:11 pm

I remember when they were saying we were going through a TV Renaissance in the early 00s. We had great TV and Cartoons from Breaking Bad to Lost to Bernie Mac and The Office in live action, to Avatar, Oban Star Racers and Digata Defenders in animation.

I used to be glued to National Geographic TV in 2008 when they showed Walking with Dinosaurs, Darwin 4, and those flu epidemic documentaries. Now it's just Dog Whisper and reality shows. It seems ever since YouTube indirectly allowed for TV episodes to be hosted on its site that cable.

Nicktoons Network in the late 00s used to be the place to watch the some of the greatest cartoons of all time, along with Teletoon, YTV, Toon Disney and Jetix. I think Jetix might have been the greatest compilation of cartoons ever made! 80% of their shows were quality, well animated and had deep plots and great characters.

Now I've been off cable for 9 years and paid satellite for about 6. And even with an android box, I can't really bring myself to watch TV anymore.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/17 at 2:59 pm

Ya got that right....Now it sure does!!!!!!!!!!

There is just nothing on television anymore. :(

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/08/17 at 10:14 pm

Maybe it's the universe's way of telling you guys to get more fresh air.  ;)

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 10:16 pm

Well to be honest... I want nothing to do with the sheeple robots of today....... I stay inside 99% of the time.... I dont want my privacy compromised,etc.............

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/17 at 10:21 pm

Well to be honest... I want nothing to do with the sheeple robots of today....... I stay inside 99% of the time.... I dont want my privacy compromised,etc.............

I need to get out more! I want to go to a forest one day!  :o  :o  :o

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/08/17 at 11:08 pm

Uh....okay. lol. You have a good life then.

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 11:09 pm

I need to get out more! I want to go to a forest one day!

Yea I hear ya!!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/08/17 at 11:56 pm

Uh....okay. lol. You have a good life then.

Lol...;D.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/17 at 7:16 am

Maybe it's the universe's way of telling you guys to get more fresh air.  ;)

You may be right.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/11/17 at 3:40 pm

To be honest, I don't really care whether or not networks will decline or not. I'll admit, I do miss that feeling of excitement of seeing a new episode of one of my favorite T.V. shows, or even a rerun of an older show. However, I'm mostly concerned with the content itself. I know I've said it before, but I really do not like the current state of T.V. shows in the 2010s. This whole trend of everything being "dark and serious" and/or "deep", especially with all these serialized dramas, hipster dramadies, etc., is getting old. Some may call this era the "Golden Age of T.V." (which is complete BS in my opinion), but to me, everything is really nauseating and fake. I hope that we can go back to T.V. shows actually being fun, entertaining, and relatable. The dark stuff has it's place too and I am a fan of it when it's done well, but not the "hipsteresque" type of dark that's so prevalent in the 2010s..

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/11/17 at 3:54 pm

To be honest, I don't really care whether or not networks will decline or not. I'll admit, I do miss that feeling of excitement of seeing a new episode of one of my favorite T.V. shows, or even a rerun of an older show. However, I'm mostly concerned with the content itself. I know I've said it before, but I really do not like the current state of T.V. shows in the 2010s. This whole trend of everything being "dark and serious" and/or "deep", especially with all these serialized dramas, hipster dramadies, etc., is getting old. Some may call this era the "Golden Age of T.V." (which is complete BS in my opinion), but to me, everything is really nauseating and fake. I hope that we can go back to T.V. shows actually being fun, entertaining, and relatable. The dark stuff has it's place too and I am a fan of it when it's done well, but not the "hipsteresque" type of dark that's so prevalent in the 2010s..

I totally agree with everything that you said.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/11/17 at 9:28 pm

Can you give us 5 examples?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/11/17 at 9:32 pm

5 examples of what exactly? (I know that your comment wasn't directed at me....just wondering)

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/11/17 at 10:43 pm

5 examples of what exactly? (I know that your comment wasn't directed at me....just wondering)

5 examples of the shows he's describing. I need 5 because I think 5 will give me a good enough idea of what he's talking about.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/17 at 3:16 pm

I know man, I don't like the current state of shows today. :(

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/12/17 at 9:15 pm

Definitely. When it comes to dramas, there's The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, The Blacklist, and 13 Reasons Why. As for comedies/dramadies, there's Modern Family, The Mindy Project, Girls, Black-ish, Broad City, and Master of None. There's plenty of more examples from both categories, but those are the ones that I came up with off the top of my head. There's also the plethora of superhero shows, but I'd lump them in with dramas, since they seem to have the same darkish vibe.

I understand a lot of people like these shows, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I just wish there was stuff for me to enjoy too. This "one size fits all" culture of the 2010s is actually alienating a lot of people, who don't fit into the trends and styles that are being offered.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/12/17 at 10:08 pm

Definitely. When it comes to dramas, there's The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, The Blacklist, and 13 Reasons Why. As for comedies/dramadies, there's Modern Family, The Mindy Project, Girls, Black-ish, Broad City, and Master of None. There's plenty of more examples from both categories, but those are the ones that I came up with off the top of my head. There's also the plethora of superhero shows, but I'd lump them in with dramas, since they seem to have the same darkish vibe.

I understand a lot of people like these shows, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I just wish there was stuff for me to enjoy too. This "one size fits all" culture of the 2010s is actually alienating a lot of people, who don't fit into the trends and styles that are being offered.

What are examples of things you want?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/12/17 at 10:14 pm

What are examples of things you want?

I assume that he wants more sitcoms like the ones from back in the day (1970s-1990s). Married...with Children, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Martin, Friends, Frasier, Boy Meets World, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, Three's Company, etc.....I'm just assuming though.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/17 at 5:18 am

I assume that he wants more sitcoms like the ones from back in the day (1970s-1990s). Married...with Children, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Martin, Friends, Frasier, Boy Meets World, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, Three's Company, etc.....I'm just assuming though.

I would like those kind of sitcoms to come back too since I grew up with a lot of them.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/13/17 at 7:07 am

I would like those kind of sitcoms to come back too since I grew up with a lot of them.

Same here but I grew up with those shows through reruns. I wish that I could have watched most of those shows when new episodes were airing. The only ones that I might of watched when new episodes were airing is either Friends and/or Frasier.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/13/17 at 12:08 pm

It's possible that the kind of writing in those shows were products of their time tho.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/13/17 at 12:16 pm

It's possible that the kind of writing in those shows were products of their time tho.

Good and funny writing is the product of the 1970s-1990s? Well, if that's the case then it further proves his (and my own) feelings toward most TV shows of the 2010s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/13/17 at 12:21 pm

I just miss the days when sitcoms featured actors where you could hardly tell that they were acting. A lot of sitcoms back in the day featured actors that made you feel like their characters were actually who they are in real life. Nowadays, in most sitcoms....the acting is very cringe and and a lot of the "humor" is a miss for me. I know that not every sitcoms in the past was good but at least the popular ones were good to great.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/13/17 at 1:28 pm

Good and funny writing is the product of the 1970s-1990s? Well, if that's the case then it further proves his (and my own) feelings toward most TV shows of the 2010s.

If that type of sitcoms were to return, they still wouldn't be the same because now, sitcoms has to compete with internet comedy.

I just miss the days when sitcoms featured actors where you could hardly tell that they were acting. A lot of sitcoms back in the day featured actors that made you feel like their characters were actually who they are in real life. Nowadays, in most sitcoms....the acting is very cringe and and a lot of the "humor" is a miss for me. I know that not every sitcoms in the past was good but at least the popular ones were good to great.

I love this post. Well said.

I used to think of actors as how you described them to. At times, they were phenomenal to where, I didn't think they were real people. I adapted out of this mind set by 02.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/13/17 at 1:47 pm

If that type of sitcoms were to return, they still wouldn't be the same because now, sitcoms has to compete with internet comedy.

Which type of sitcoms?

I love this post. Well said.

I used to think of actors as how you described them to. At times, they were phenomenal to where, I didn't think they were real people. I adapted out of this mind set by 02.

Yep...also well said 8).

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/17 at 1:50 pm

So much decay!

http://www.thephotoargus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/urban-decay-02.jpg

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/13/17 at 2:21 pm

Nope.

I'm referring to the kind/type of good and funny writing.

Just because you don't understand or like a particular kind of comedy doesn't mean it isn't good or funny.

All the shows you mentioned don't have the same version of humor. In many ways, their humor related to their respective eras.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/13/17 at 3:02 pm

Just because you don't understand or like a particular kind of comedy doesn't mean it isn't good or funny.

I never said that other people have to agree with me.

All the shows you mentioned don't have the same version of humor. In many ways, their humor related to their respective eras.

When did I say that they had the same version of humor? ??? I think that you're wrong about the humor of those shows being confined to their eras because there is a reason why all of the shows I mentioned are still in syndication...lots of people still find them funny. I just think that the "humor" of sitcoms today is too quirky and/or dry for my tastes. However, I know that not everyone will agree with me...it's just my opinion.

BTW, it seems like you're being a bit defense because you like many of the sitcoms of today (so it appears).

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/13/17 at 3:17 pm

I never said that other people have to agree with me.
When did I say that they had the same version of humor? ??? I think that you're wrong about the humor of those shows being confined to their eras because there is a reason why all of the shows I mentioned are still in syndication...lots of people still find them funny. I just think that the "humor" of sitcoms today is too quirky and/or dry for my tastes. However, I know that not everyone will agree with me...it's just my opinion.

BTW, it seems like you're being a bit defense because you like many of the sitcoms of today (so it appears).

When did I say "good and funny writing is the product of the 1970s-1990s?"

Of all the shows he's listed, I only like GoT and HoC. I've watched every episode of Walking Dead but I'm aware enough to know it's an awful show. I'm also aware that GoT is not all it's hyped up to be. I've only seen clips of the comedies he mentioned.

Maybe I'm on the defensive because there has never been a year in my life where I wasn't surrounded by people saying that the era they live in sucks while the era of their childhood-teen years and the time before them was better. You really think so many people weren't griping about all the music and shows and the general culture back in 1998? It's gotten really fking tiring. Maybe I just need to get over it and quit attending this board since nothing is gonna change but it'd be nice if people appreciated their present lives more.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/13/17 at 3:26 pm

When did I say "good and funny writing is the product of the 1970s-1990s?"

You seemed to imply that but forget it.

Of all the shows he's listed, I only like GoT and HoC. I've watched every episode of Walking Dead but I'm aware enough to know it's an awful show. I'm also aware that GoT is not all it's hyped up to be. I've only seen clips of the comedies he mentioned.

OK, that's fair.

Maybe I'm on the defensive because there has never been a year in my life where I wasn't surrounded by people saying that the era they live in sucks while the era of their childhood-teen years and the time before them was better. You really think so many people weren't griping about all the music and shows and the general culture back in 1998? It's gotten really fking tiring. Maybe I just need to get over it and quit attending this board since nothing is gonna change but it'd be nice if people appreciated their present lives more.

Have you not seen my other posts? I don't hate living in the 2010s...never, I just don't like the state of television right now but the next 3 years looks like TV will impro, IMO. I also don't hate music (in general) of today...unlike a lot of other members on here, I just don't find it to be great...just OK/decent.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/13/17 at 3:51 pm

You seemed to imply that but forget it.
OK, that's fair.
Have you not seen my other posts? I don't hate living in the 2010s...never, I just don't like the state of television right now but the next 3 years looks like TV will impro, IMO. I also don't hate music (in general) of today...unlike a lot of other members on here, I just don't find it to be great...just OK/decent.

I was implying that comedy tends to be era specific. Most people are era specific. It's very likely that the anti-2010 people are gonna be dissatisfied with the general culture the rest of their lives until they learn to pull over and smell the roses. Or at least attempt to expand their horizons.

I wasn't dumping on you specifically btw.

I think a big part of the reason for my frustration is that for the most part, I've never truly liked the mainstream culture and I made my peace with that.

I will relent on one thing, I do think there are more good 2010s shows out there. Maybe you guys need to give some other shows a try.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/13/17 at 3:53 pm

I was implying that comedy tends to be era specific. Most people are era specific. It's very likely that the anti-2010 people are gonna be dissatisfied with the general culture the rest of their lives until they learn to pull over and smell the roses. Or at least attempt to expand their horizons.

I wasn't dumping on you specifically btw.

I think a big part of the reason for my frustration is that for the most part, I've never truly liked the mainstream culture and I made my peace with that.

OK, fair enough.

I will relent on one thing, I do think there are more good 2010s shows out there. Maybe you guys need to give some other shows a try.

I've tried to watch most of them and the only one I like is Stranger Things but that's not even a sitcom, which is the genre of live action TV I liked the most growing up.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/13/17 at 10:51 pm

OK, fair enough.
I've tried to watch most of them and the only one I like is Stranger Things but that's not even a sitcom, which is the genre of live action TV I liked the most growing up.

You'll probably have to broaden your horizons if you wanna enjoy more things then. I really, really don't think the 70s-90s type of writing is ever coming back. It'll probably get even more inaccessible for you guys in the 20s.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/17 at 11:54 pm

Too bad, I really enjoy pop culture from the 70's to the 90's!  :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/14/17 at 12:25 am

You'll probably have to broaden your horizons if you wanna enjoy more things then. I really, really don't think the 70s-90s type of writing is ever coming back. It'll probably get even more inaccessible for you guys in the 20s.

Maybe. However, I am excited for the return of Will & Grace on September 28th (this Fall) on NBC and the return of Roseanne next year on ABC. Also, I hear that there is revivals of both Sister, Sister and Living Single in the works....if those come to fruition then I'll definitely be hyped. If Will & Grace and Roseanne can be close to their originals then that would be awesome.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/17 at 5:24 am

I'd like to see a network series remake of McHale's Navy and maybe Hogan's Heroes.  8)

Those shows made WW2 look like lots of fun.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/14/17 at 7:07 am

Same here but I grew up with those shows through reruns. I wish that I could have watched most of those shows when new episodes were airing. The only ones that I might of watched when new episodes were airing is either Friends and/or Frasier.

I also grew up with most kid's shows like Sesame Street, Electric Company and Mr.Roger's Neighborhood.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/17 at 7:09 am

back then, they dealt with a lot of issues that went on back then at the time such as sex, pregnancy or weight issues.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/14/17 at 9:58 am

back then, they dealt with a lot of issues that went on back then at the time such as sex, pregnancy or weight issues.

Those issues still exist.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/14/17 at 9:59 am

I also grew up with most kid's shows like Sesame Street, Electric Company and Mr.Roger's Neighborhood.

Well, I wasn't talking about kids shows. However, I did watch some Sesame Street and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood growing up.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/14/17 at 2:07 pm

Yeah, I do miss old fashioned sitcoms like those sometimes. You could say it's just what I'm used to, growing up watching '80s and '90s sitcoms, and seeing so many '50s, '60s and '70s sitcoms on Nick at Nite. Honestly, even though there were quite a few sitcoms back then that weren't that great quality wise, like Full House for example, I just find sitcoms from back then more memorable. Too many today just seem too bland and uninteresting.

Of course, there's probably a bit of nostalgia at play here, too. Since I grew up watching those shows, they might seem more memorable to me than they would a kid growing up today.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/14/17 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, I do miss old fashioned sitcoms like those sometimes. You could say it's just what I'm used to, growing up watching '80s and '90s sitcoms, and seeing so many '50s, '60s and '70s sitcoms on Nick at Nite. Honestly, even though there were quite a few sitcoms back then that weren't that great quality wise, like Full House for example, I just find sitcoms from back then more memorable. Too many today just seem too bland and uninteresting.

Yeah, I agree with you fully on that.

Of course, there's probably a bit of nostalgia at play here, too. Since I grew up watching those shows, they might seem more memorable to me than they would a kid growing up today.

I guess for me it's a bit of nostalgia but I also just genuinely don't find any popular sitcom today to be good or funny. I'm happy to see that Will & Grace and Roseanne are returning. Hopefully, they can "change the tide" or so and be as good as their original shows.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/17 at 2:50 pm

Those issues still exist.

and back then you could feel their emotions which made you feel like a part of the show.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/17 at 2:52 pm

Well, I wasn't talking about kids shows. However, I did watch some Sesame Street and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood growing up.

I don't think you were old enough growing up with the retro version of Electric Company but do you remember the new version that came on TV a couple of years ago? ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/14/17 at 3:48 pm

I don't think you were old enough growing up with the retro version of Electric Company but do you remember the new version that came on TV a couple of years ago? ???

Nope, I didn't even know such a thing existed. I was too old for it anyways....the revival aired from 2009-2011 and I was a pre-teen then (10-12 years old).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/14/17 at 3:48 pm

and back then you could feel their emotions which made you feel like a part of the show.

Yeah, that's true.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/14/17 at 8:56 pm

Quit making the assumption that we haven't given today's shows a chance. I've given The Walking Dead, House of Cards, The Blacklist, True Detective, The Mindy Project, and Modern Family (among others) a chance, and NONE of those shows did ANYTHING for me. So no, I don't need to "broaden my horizons". Secondly, ANYTHING can come back. The type of writing that me and TheReignMan99 like is still loved and preferred by many. You can NEVER make predictions of future decades based on the trends of the current decade. That makes no sense at all. You have no proof that the current 2010s trends will continue to thrive in the 2020s.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/17 at 3:37 pm

Nope, I didn't even know such a thing existed. I was too old for it anyways....the revival aired from 2009-2011 and I was a pre-teen then (10-12 years old).

The old Electric Company aired from 1971-1977 and then after that into reruns in the 80's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I3E_dxRudE

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/15/17 at 11:47 pm

Quit making the assumption that we haven't given today's shows a chance. I've given The Walking Dead, House of Cards, The Blacklist, True Detective, The Mindy Project, and Modern Family (among others) a chance, and NONE of those shows did ANYTHING for me. So no, I don't need to "broaden my horizons". Secondly, ANYTHING can come back. The type of writing that me and TheReignMan99 like is still loved and preferred by many. You can NEVER make predictions of future decades based on the trends of the current decade. That makes no sense at all. You have no proof that the current 2010s trends will continue to thrive in the 2020s.

I didn't say current trends will persist. I was implying a different but equally if not worst trend will take its place.

I hope you get to find something you like eventually. It'll be nice to not read complaining for once.

BTW: there's a lot more to life than television or fashion...I know you know that. Sometimes we just need to be reminded.

Check for new replies or respond here...