inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP Sonic The Hedgehog Archie Comics (1992-2017)

Written By: John Titor on 07/04/17 at 10:45 pm

Some of the last comics of Sonic The Hedgehog are coming out this month, Archie is not renewing the franchise =(
http://www.tssznews.com/2017/05/10/rumor-sonic-comics-cancelled-sega-wants-more-licensing-money-archie-not-wanting-to-renew-it/

http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-50.jpg

Subject: Re: RIP Sonic The Hedgehog Archie Comics (1992-2017)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/17 at 10:55 pm

Some of the last comics of Sonic The Hedgehog are coming out this month, Archie is not renewing the franchise =(
http://www.tssznews.com/2017/05/10/rumor-sonic-comics-cancelled-sega-wants-more-licensing-money-archie-not-wanting-to-renew-it/

http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-50.jpg

All will be snapped up by collectors?

Written By: John Titor on 07/04/17 at 11:14 pm

All will be snapped up by collectors?

prob lol, sad day for sega fans

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/05/17 at 9:57 am

Yes, very sad day. Used to be an avid reader of these Sonic comics back during the '90s. To this day, I still have fond memories of going down to the supermarket with my grandmother and begging her to buy me the latest month issue of the Sonic comic, and I even remember getting some of the Knuckles spin-off comics, too.

This is the oldest issue that I own. It's Sonic #16, which I believe is from November 1993.

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/archiesonic/images/3/34/STH16.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090328095734

Written By: bchris02 on 07/05/17 at 5:46 pm

It's more evidence that Sonic the Hedgehog simply isn't relevant anymore.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 5:49 pm

It's more evidence that Sonic the Hedgehog simply isn't relevant anymore.

You couldn't be any more wrong. I think it points to the fact that comic books aren't as popular as they used to be.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/05/17 at 5:56 pm

I guess Sonic is truly dying as a franchise. I mean, nobody takes it seriously anymore. As somebody who loved Sonic as a kid, I'm not surprised that nobody except for Sega gives a sh*t about the hedgehog. Not even kids care about him anymore, since he was just a fad in the early and mid 90s. He did have a few moments during the 2000s, but that's not enough compared to him in the 90s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 6:01 pm

I guess Sonic is truly dying as a franchise. I mean, nobody takes it seriously anymore. As somebody who loved Sonic as a kid, I'm not surprised that nobody except for Sega gives a sh*t about the hedgehog. Not even kids care about him anymore, since he was just a fad in the early and mid 90s. He did have a few moments during the 2000s, but that's not enough compared to him in the 90s.

I got to heavily disagree with you here. Just go on YouTube and look at the hype for Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania....especially Sonic Mania. You guys are conflating a comic book series based on a video game character which is a fad of the 1990s and acting as if it means the Sonic franchise as a whole is dying. Just relax guys.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/05/17 at 6:25 pm

I was a huge Sonic fan in the '90s and I agree with this.

Sonic's heyday was the '90s.  The character was past its prime but still relevant in the '00s.  In the '10s, its nostalgia that keeps Sonic alive.  Sonic Mania will likely be played mostly by adults who grew up with Sonic in the '90s.  I doubt it will be popular with today's kids.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/05/17 at 6:30 pm

I got to heavily disagree with you here. Just go on YouTube and look at the hype for Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania....especially Sonic Mania. You guys are conflating a comic book series based on a video game character which is a fad of the 1990s and acting as if it means the Sonic franchise as a whole is dying. Just relax guys.

Yo, ReignMan. Sonic is kind of falling from relevance. He's not completely but you can see when you look at the character.

Its not a bad thing. Just, Sonic's attitude.. He's the 90s.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 6:35 pm

I was a huge Sonic fan in the '90s and I agree with this.

Sonic's heyday was the '90s.  The character was past its prime but still relevant in the '00s.  In the '10s, its nostalgia that keeps Sonic alive.  Sonic Mania will likely be played mostly by adults who grew up with Sonic in the '90s.  I doubt it will be popular with today's kids.

There is also Sonic Forces which has a lot of hype around it and will definitely be popular with the kids. You guys need to take the nostalgia goggles off.

Yo, ReignMan. Sonic is kind of falling from relevance. He's not completely but you can see when you look at the character.

No one is saying that Sonic is as popular as he was in the '90s but both the character and franchise is far from dying. You guys need to stop exaggerating.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/05/17 at 6:36 pm

This, completely.

Everything about the character screams early-to-mid '90s.  Sonic was the epitome of what was "cool" back then.  Today, the character survives off nostalgia.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 6:38 pm

This, completely.

Everything about the character screams early-to-mid '90s.  Sonic was the epitome of what was "cool" back then.  Today, the character survives off nostalgia.

No, people just want a good Sonic game and based on most accounts, it looks like both Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania will be what fans have been waiting for.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/05/17 at 6:59 pm

This, completely.

This also.

His Sonic 1-2 design carries the nostalgia. While his Sonic Adventure's design could only extend so much, 98-06. Now.. You just don't know what to do with the character.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 7:02 pm

This also.

His Sonic 1-2 design carries the nostalgia. While his Sonic Adventure's design could only extend so much, 98-06. Now.. You just don't know what to do with the character.

Have you not heard of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania? ???

Wow, c'mon guys....nostalgia can be very blinding.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/05/17 at 7:16 pm

There is also Sonic Forces which has a lot of hype around it and will definitely be popular with the kids. You guys need to take the nostalgia goggles off.

I have to agree with bchris and SpyroKev on what they're saying. I have never met one kid since 2013 that actually likes Sonic, let alone know who he is. Even if they did know who Sonic was, they wouldn't be obsessed with the franchise compared to 90s (and even) 2000s kids. Nostalgia is really keeping the franchise alive and that's how Sega keeps making Sonic games.

No one is saying that Sonic is as popular as he was in the '90s but both the character and franchise is far from dying. You guys need to stop exaggerating.

Yeah... tell that to Sonic fans who have been following the franchise since the 90s. Or actually anybody who knows the history about Sonic from the very beginning.

Have you not heard of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania? ???

Wow, c'mon guys....nostalgia can be very blinding.

Sonic Mania is basically an attempt for Sega to bring back the 2D style of Sonic, which is obviously a gimmick for nostalgic Sonic fans.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 7:21 pm

I have to agree with bchris and SpyroKev on what they're saying. I have never met one kid since 2013 that actually likes Sonic, let alone know who he is. Even if they did know who Sonic was, they wouldn't be obsessed with the franchise compared to 90s (and even) 2000s kids. Nostalgia is really keeping the franchise alive and that's how Sega keeps making Sonic games.

Have you spoken to much kids since 2013? Particularly, kids ages 5-10? If not, then I doubt your opinion.

Yeah... tell that to Sonic fans who have been following the franchise since the 90s. Or actually anybody who knows the history about Sonic from the very beginning.

Oh yeah, let me speak with nostalgia blinded '90s kids...they'll totally not have a biased opinion at all ::).

Sonic Mania is basically an attempt for Sega to bring back the 2D style of Sonic, which is obviously a gimmick for nostalgic Sonic fans.

Gimmick..what? ??? That's what literally most Sonic fans were asking Sega to make. Also, do you even know what Sonic Forces is? All of you have avoided even mentioning that.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/05/17 at 8:03 pm

Have you spoken to much kids since 2013? Particularly, kids ages 5-10? If not, then I doubt your opinion.

I've been to a semi-reunion with my mom's side of the family and my cousins were there (one of them was 5 and a half) and they never really got interested into Sonic. Hell, there's even an article proclaiming that Sonic was more popular in the 90s than people who were fans of Sonic.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/2/12/8028111/why-dont-todays-kids-love-sonic

Oh yeah, let me speak with nostalgia blinded '90s kids...they'll totally not have a biased opinion at all ::).

They're actually the reason why Sonic Mania and Sonic Generations. It was made to bring back Classic Sonic, as Modern Sonic was known for having green eyes.

Gimmick..what? ??? That's what literally most Sonic fans were asking Sega to make. Also, do you even know what Sonic Forces is? All of you have avoided even mentioning that.

I didn't even knew that existed until now. It looks... decent. But it doesn't make me wanna buy another Sonic game.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 8:12 pm

I've been to a semi-reunion with my mom's side of the family and my cousins were there (one of them was 5 and a half) and they never really got interested into Sonic. Hell, there's even an article proclaiming that Sonic was more popular in the 90s than people who were fans of Sonic.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/2/12/8028111/why-dont-todays-kids-love-sonic

Well, of course...I wasn't refuting that.

They're actually the reason why Sonic Mania and Sonic Generations. It was made to bring back Classic Sonic, as Modern Sonic was known for having green eyes.

There is two factions of Sonic fans...the '90s kids and just regular fans.

I didn't even knew that existed until now. It looks... decent. But it doesn't make me wanna buy another Sonic game.

Well, that's fine. However, that's just you :P. There's a lot of buzz surrounding both Sonic Mania AND Sonic Forces. I'm going to get Sonic Mania...I don't know about Sonic Forces though.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/05/17 at 8:17 pm

There is two factions of Sonic fans...the '90s kids and just regular fans.

Actually most of them are the blatant 90s kids. The regular fans are those who just keep in touch with the franchise, but didn't take the franchise as seriously as 90s kids.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 8:20 pm

Actually most of them are the blatant 90s kids. The regular fans are those who just keep in touch with the franchise, but didn't take the franchise as seriously as 90s kids.

That doesn't make what I said false.

Check for new replies or respond here...