inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any changes as of 7/5/17?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/05/17 at 6:15 pm

In terms of social atmosphere, pop culture, etc? From your personal observation?

Subject: Re: Any changes as of 7/5/17?

Written By: #Infinity on 07/05/17 at 7:32 pm

You really seem to ask this question a lot.

Nope, "Despicito (Remix)" is still dominating the pop charts, bitterness still resounds against Trump, technology hasn't really gone anywhere, and fashion is more or less just as it's been for the past few years.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 7:33 pm

Nope, "Despicito (Remix)" is still dominating the pop charts, bitterness still resounds against Trump, technology hasn't really gone anywhere, and fashion is more or less just as it's been for the past few years.

I totally agree....with every single word that you said.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/05/17 at 7:48 pm

LOL, you're right, I do. Just wanna keep tabs with what's going on in the music world AND general society.
As far as Despicito goes, that's only been a hit since May. Was it around in February? I don't think it was released until' April or May, when it became an instant mega-success. Maybe it's "Despacito" that will make way for the net big thing to dominate American pop culture, which would be "Latin pop". And maybe this new trend, "Latin pop", will semi-define the late 2010s and going into the roaring 2020s. Just like electropop defined the late '00s, teen pop defined the late '90s.... think about it, take a second.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 7:51 pm

LOL, you're right, I do. Just wanna keep tabs with what's going on in the music world AND general society.
As far as Despicito goes, that's only been a hit since May. Was it around in February? I don't think it was released until' April or May, when it became an instant mega-success. Maybe it's "Despacito" that will make way for the net big thing to dominate American pop culture, which would be "Latin pop". And maybe this new trend, "Latin pop", will semi-define the late 2010s and going into the roaring 2020s. Just like electropop defined the late '00s, teen pop defined the late '90s.... think about it, take a second.

"Despacito" was actually released on January 23, 2017. The remix with Justin Bieber was released on April 17, 2017. Also, "Despacito" is not really "Latin pop"....it's a reggaeton song with a heavy pop influence.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/05/17 at 7:55 pm

"Despacito" was actually released on January 23, 2017. The remix with Justin Bieber was released on April 17, 2017. Also, "Despacito" is not really "Latin pop"....it's a reggaeton song with a heavy pop influence.

Reggaeton is not a genre commonly featured in the mainstream these days. So it's a break from the status quo. And what I'm saying is it could inspire more Latin-influenced pop hits down the road....

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/05/17 at 7:57 pm

And "Despacito" wasn't widely known in JAN/FEB, it burst into the mainstream when the Bieber version came out

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/05/17 at 7:59 pm

Reggaeton is not a genre commonly featured in the mainstream these days. So it's a break from the status quo. And what I'm saying is it could inspire more Latin-influenced pop hits down the road....

Yeah, of course and I hope it does. However, I was just correcting you :P.

And "Despacito" wasn't widely known in JAN/FEB, it burst into the mainstream when the Bieber version came out

Based on what I've seen online, "Despacito" was popular in the rest of the world in January to March. However, "Despacito" only became popular in the US when the remix with Bieber came out (not surprising).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/05/17 at 8:12 pm

To answer the question, no, however I don't think the Top 40 charts are an entirely accurate representation of what is popular anymore. In previous decades, album/single sales would solely determine the chart positions of songs and that was more reflective of what was and what wasn't popular. Streaming can allow a song to linger on the charts for a extended period of time, even if they aren't receiving a lot of airplay on the radio. I haven't even listened to Despacito before, even though it has been at #1 for several weeks now. In the past, if a song was at #1, you would generally hear it everywhere. Until measures have been put in place to restrict streaming (like what the UK are about to do), the Top-40 will never be an entire accurate representation of what is popular.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/17 at 8:21 pm

Same old, same old.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/05/17 at 8:27 pm

No. Not at all. Hopefully, though newer artists can break through into the top 40, and change the music scene. For the past month, I've listened to Alessia, Daya, Halsey, Camilla, and many others. It's s a shame most of their songs are not played often.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/05/17 at 10:44 pm

No 2017 is like 2016, no change at all except for the old orange man sitting in office now. You will notice change as it comes. But no, there are no significant changes right now in music or anything else. As I said before, 2016 was the transitional year (a small one) that put us out of the mid 2010s even if there are still so many mid 2010s trends still popular now. We will likely see the same stuff now for a while until next year or 2019. This progress of change now actually mimics the late 2000s. It's entirely reminiscent of the years from 1 decade ago and if the same pattern continues, we will see real change come in late 2018.

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/17 at 9:36 am

Despacito is so 🔥🔥. What a fun song! :D

The main things that have changed are video games, a couple of new TV shows and politics, which are big enough shifts for me.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/06/17 at 9:46 am

Despicito is so 🔥🔥. What a fun song! :D

The main things that have changed are video games, a couple of new TV shows and politics, which are big enough shifts for me.

How have they changed?

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/17 at 9:51 am

How have they changed?

Nintendo Switch, 13 Reasons Why, Big Little Lies, and you probably heard about the politics lol

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/06/17 at 10:09 am

With how negative things been, you just can't see distinctiveness of years anymore. We probably won't see the differences of the late 2017 until 3 years from now.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/06/17 at 10:36 am

Nintendo Switch, 13 Reasons Why, Big Little Lies, and you probably heard about the politics lol

Oh, ofc

Check for new replies or respond here...