inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most recent song(s) that would have been popular in 2010?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/08/17 at 12:12 am

What are the most recent songs you can think of that would have sounded right at home in 2010?  These two are my top contenders, both from 2016.

Io0fBr1XBUA

XoiEkEuCWog

Subject: Re: Most recent song(s) that would have been popular in 2010?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/08/17 at 12:48 am

Kesha's "Praying"

Written By: Fearsword on 07/08/17 at 1:12 am

1ekZEVeXwek

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/17 at 6:53 am

Kesha's "Praying"

Ke$ha would be popular in any year or decade.

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/kesha-pitbull-amas-2013-650-430.jpg

As would Pitbull.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 07/09/17 at 8:13 am

I think this kinda seems like it would from 2016
fOeRcz5pQlk

Written By: bchris02 on 07/09/17 at 12:51 pm

I think this kinda seems like it would from 2016
fOeRcz5pQlk

This song actually reminds me of quite a few electropop one-hit wonders that tried to break out in 2010.  It does check off a lot of the boxes for something that would be popular in that era.

I really like Kesha's new song but it has little in common with her stuff from 2009-2013.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/09/17 at 1:00 pm

Kesha's "Praying"

Just listened to this, this is bizarre coming from Kesha and sounds nothing like her other "music".  She sorta sounds ok oddly, though it's not really anything that special. It's weird how she's doing ballads now just like Gaga, after all that extremely overproduced autotuned electropop music in 2010. I guess that's their strategy to try and get back their relevance.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/09/17 at 2:21 pm

Just listened to this, this is bizarre coming from Kesha and sounds nothing like her other "music".  She sorta sounds ok oddly, though it's not really anything that special. It's weird how she's doing ballads now just like Gaga, after all that extremely overproduced autotuned electropop music in 2010. I guess that's their strategy to try and get back their relevance.

It really reminds me of how the boy/girl bands that dominated teen pop in the late '90s and early '00s tried to go "urban" in the mid '00s to retain their relevance.  A prime example of this is *NSync's teaming up with Nelly for the song "Girlfriend" in 2002.

I don't think the shift to ballads are going to bring back the relevance of artists like Kesha and Gaga.  I think they would be better off doing electropop or some more evolved version of it that would work in 2017.  People knew and liked those artists for their fun dance songs.

Written By: Fearsword on 07/09/17 at 7:08 pm

I've heard that about 2-3 songs on Kesha new album are electropop

Check for new replies or respond here...