inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Obama, most laid back president?

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/10/17 at 10:38 am

Anyone notice this or is it just me?

I never felt the intensity of responsibility from Obama like I did from Donald Trump or even George Bush for example. Is it because Obama was elected and reelected during an at ease era?

Subject: Re: Obama, most laid back president?

Written By: 2001 on 07/10/17 at 11:03 am

He chose his words and actions after thinking it through. You can see it in his speech style, when he has long pauses. Of course, sometimes this worked to his detriment and he would react too late e.g. Bengawzee, Russian interference etc. but overall, I think people will miss his style.

I wouldn't say he inherited the presidency at a calm time. He was charged with getting the country out of the worst recession since the Great Depression, and had to deal with things like ISIS. I wouldn't envy that.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/10/17 at 11:04 am

I would actually say Calvin Coolidge was the epitome of a laid back President. Not only was he devoted to small, inactive government, he was a quiet introvert in person.

From what I hear, Chester A. Arthur was also incredibly laid back.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/10/17 at 11:16 am

HW Bush was probably the most laid back in recent years. His political philosophy was pretty similar to Reagan's, but he wasn't as assertive as most recent Republican or even Democratic presidents. Many claim his calm demeanor during the Fall of The Berlin Wall & The LA Riots as examples as that. It unfortunately overall worked to his detriment as it portrayed him as disengaged, which was already fueled by his 'preppy' New England roots.

Written By: Emman on 07/10/17 at 4:41 pm

Anyone notice this or is it just me?

I never felt the intensity of responsibility from Obama like I did from Donald Trump or even George Bush for example. Is it because Obama was elected and reelected during an at ease era?

At ease, what are you talking about, what's that supposed to mean.

Because when Obama took office in early '09 the economy was in free fall and Tea Party protests( and raucous town hall meetings)  were happening across the country against Obama.

Written By: Emman on 07/10/17 at 4:45 pm

HW Bush was probably the most laid back in recent years. His political philosophy was pretty similar to Reagan's, but he wasn't as assertive as most recent Republican or even Democratic presidents. Many claim his calm demeanor during the Fall of The Berlin Wall & The LA Riots as examples as that. It unfortunately overall worked to his detriment as it portrayed him as disengaged, which was already fueled by his 'preppy' New England roots.

You mean Bush Sr, that guy is a total stiff personality wise, almost bad as Nixon. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/10/17 at 4:51 pm

You mean Bush Sr, that guy is a total stiff personality wise, almost bad as Nixon. ;D

Bush Sr and HW Bush are the same guy. George H.W. Bush is not even "Bush Sr." :P. However, you're correct...he was very "stiff" (for a lack of a better word).

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/10/17 at 5:02 pm

I wouldn't say so. Obama had to deal with the Great Recession, the Tea Party protests, the rise of ISIS, SJWs and the Alt-Right, and that's only some of the things that they had to deal with. There's no way in hell that he could be the most laid back president in recent years. He basically took all of that crap seriously, which is understandable.

Frankly, I don't think there's such a thing as a "laid back president". How the hell could anybody who runs the United States can be calm about anything, if you have to make sure that the country is either going great or turning for the worst.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/10/17 at 5:25 pm

I wouldn't say so. Obama had to deal with the Great Recession, the Tea Party protests, the rise of ISIS, SJWs and the Alt-Right, and that's only some of the things that they had to deal with. There's no way in hell that he could be the most laid back president in recent years. He basically took all of that crap seriously, which is understandable.

Frankly, I don't think there's such a thing as a "laid back president". How the hell could anybody who runs the United States can be calm about anything, if you have to make sure that the country is either going great or turning for the worst.

I think that he's talking about laid back in terms of their personality. If not, then I have no clue.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/10/17 at 5:33 pm

Bush 41 was the youngest American naval aviator in WW2, was shot down (his plane was shot but he completed his bombing run before ditching the plane) and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Hardly the stuff of a "stiff" guy.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/10/17 at 6:13 pm

His public demeanor is laid-back and charming. He has to take so much heat for actions that George, Bill and Ronald did--all to a greater degree. I respect him more than I respect most establishment politicians, and I find it damn hard to obtain an ounce of appreciation for the administration in place today.
But the political system is rigged by their corporate benefactors.... Obama was pretty much beholden to Wall Street. That's why I couldn't see him as "one of us". He MIGHT be a tool of the system, but I got that gut feeling that his intentions were to hold them as accountable as he could in the limited time he had. Money is seductive, but good will pays, so....

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/10/17 at 7:51 pm

I think that he's talking about laid back in terms of their personality. If not, then I have no clue.

Even in terms of personality, he wasn't that laid back. Sure, he has a devoting charisma towards children and adults, but that doesn't really mean he took every action in a creative way. He took most of his actions as president more serious and traditional, much like any other president in the U.S.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/10/17 at 9:08 pm

Even in terms of personality, he wasn't that laid back. Sure, he has a devoting charisma towards children and adults, but that doesn't really mean he took every action in a creative way. He took most of his actions as president more serious and traditional, much like any other president in the U.S.

Obama is a pretty laid back person...that's widely known. So...yeah.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/10/17 at 10:07 pm

Obama is a pretty laid back person...that's widely known. So...yeah.

Maybe my defintion of laid back was different.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/10/17 at 10:22 pm

Comparing Bush Sr. to Nixon is borderline insulting ;D. In all honesty Bush 41' was probably the best modern day Republican president (1960's onwards). He wasn't a devout ideologue like Nixon & Reagan and knew when to break from certain campaign proposals if it meant to better the American people. Also his action during the Gulf War was admirable, unlike another member in that family ::).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/10/17 at 10:31 pm

Comparing Bush Sr. to Nixon is borderline insulting ;D. In all honesty Bush 41' was probably the best modern day Republican president (1960's onwards). He wasn't a devout ideologue like Nixon & Reagan and knew when to break from certain campaign proposals if it meant to better the American people. Also his action during the Gulf War was admirable, unlike another member in that family ::).

I actually totally agree with you. George H.W. Bush is the Republican president in the past 56 years that I like the most. He is also an American hero. Interesting enoughly, I am also a fan of the late '80s and early '90s :P.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/10/17 at 10:36 pm

I actually totally agree with you. George H.W. Bush is the Republican president in the past 56 years that I like the most. He is also an American hero. Interesting enoughly, I am also a fan of the late '80s and early '90s :P.

Same here lol. I kind of wished I was born about 20 years earlier so I could of went to middle/high school during that time! I've always had a weird appreciation for Gen X youth culture.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/11/17 at 12:18 am

Same here lol. I kind of wished I was born about 20 years earlier so I could of went to middle/high school during that time! I've always had a weird appreciation for Gen X youth culture.

Me too. Although, I wish that I was in college then. Being in college back then would have been INSANE! :D 8).

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/11/17 at 10:40 am

You guessed it right. I mean in terms of personality by laid back.

I still like to consider Obama as laid back though. It just fits him. Especially when he dissed Kanye West and he listens to Jay Z.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/11/17 at 11:14 am

You guessed it right. I mean in terms of personality by laid back.

I still like to consider Obama as laid back though. It just fits him. Especially when he dissed Kanye West and he listens to Jay Z.

Absolutely 8).

Check for new replies or respond here...