inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All the signs are there for an imminent pop-punk comeback

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/10/17 at 11:07 pm

Not that I care for pop-punk, as much as I am an actual punk-rock kinda guy, but it looks like things are shaping up for pop-punk to make a comeback to the mainstream by 2019-2021 (my estimation). The genre is thriving underground, to say the least. And when a genre thrives underground, it eventually shows up in the mainstream a few years later. This time, it will have a different "icing" to it (so to say), perhaps more electronic elements than the last wave of pop-punk. Perhaps more "indie" elements. Give it a year or two.... This pop-EDM and trap phase has to die out sometime....

Subject: Re: All the signs are there for an imminent pop-punk comeback

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/12/17 at 8:05 pm

Any takers?

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/12/17 at 9:02 pm

I haven't really followed the latest pop-punk bands. However I would be open to it making a comeback in some form or another. I'm curious as to what you mean by "indie elements". I really hope you don't mean the hipsteresque "indie pop" that's currently popular 8-P. That would not mix well with pop punk.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/12/17 at 9:16 pm

I haven't really followed the latest pop-punk bands. However I would be open to it making a comeback in some form or another. I'm curious as to what you mean by "indie elements". I really hope you don't mean the hipsteresque "indie pop" that's currently popular 8-P. That would not mix well with pop punk.

No, but with the spirit and mentality that indie music originally meant to carry: "I can do this myself, I don't need no big record-mogul to show me the way". That's kinda how punk got its start anyway.
And indie pop's popularity is gradually subsiding in popularity since its peak during the early-to-mid 2010s. You simply don't hear too much Lumineers type stuff on the radio anymore.
I'd take pop-punk over pop-EDM and trap rap, personally but that's just me. I'd also take post-grunge and a return to the old style of hip-hop over what's permeating the industry now.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/12/17 at 10:29 pm

I don't know enough about pop-punk to say. Actually, I know close to nothing.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/13/17 at 5:14 am

I would like "punk-funk" to come back, the sound and genre Rick James created during the early 80's.

Written By: 2001 on 07/13/17 at 8:59 am

I hope so! There are a lot of great bands that deserve to be popular. :)

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/13/17 at 10:05 am

I hope so! There are a lot of great bands that deserve to be popular. :)

Can you name some?

Written By: 2001 on 07/13/17 at 10:36 pm

Can you name some?

Hmm I don't keep track of many bands TBH. I have a 2010s rock playlist with 400 rock songs in it, but it has indie and emo and other stuff in it ;D

Neck deep, Assuming We Survive, SWMRS The Struts, Joyce Manor, Firework, WSTR, etc. These are a few pop punk bands whose songs I've listened to.

Spotify has a "Pop Punk is not dead" playlist, it has decent tunes every now and then. I prefer the "Emo Forever" playlist personally ;D The emo revival is just as popular as the pop punk revival (there's a lot of overlap though).

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/13/17 at 10:48 pm

Hmm I don't keep track of many bands TBH. I have a 2010s rock playlist with 400 rock songs in it, but it has indie and emo and other stuff in it ;D

Neck deep, Assuming We Survive, SWMRS The Struts, Joyce Manor, Firework, WSTR, etc. These are a few pop punk bands whose songs I've listened to.

Spotify has a "Pop Punk is not dead" playlist, it has decent tunes every now and then. I prefer the "Emo forever" playlist personally ;D The emo revival is just as popular as the pop punk revival (there's a lot of overlap though).

That's great, thank you. I will look all of those up....

Check for new replies or respond here...