inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Teen pop explosion of the late 2010s/early 2020's has begun

Written By: John Titor on 07/14/17 at 2:21 pm

Simon Cowell is pushing his new boy band to the masses in the next few months, these guys are going to
be the next nsync, On top of TRL coming back and MTV pushing pop artists heavily now, I gurnatee you the
steps to another pop explosion has begun.

NybcjdqKm30

Subject: Re: The Teen pop explosion of the late 2010s/early 2020's has begun

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/14/17 at 2:41 pm

Praise the HEAVENS!!! This is just what we needed....more bubblegum pop, more cheesiness and more screaming pre-teen and teen girls. It's like we didn't have enough and will be blessed with more. I have to thank our musical savior Simon Cowell for bestowing this gift upon us.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/14/17 at 2:46 pm

Nah. I think I'm still going with my pop-punk explosion prediction.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/14/17 at 2:46 pm

Praise the HEAVENS!!! This is just what we needed....more bubblegum pop, more cheesiness and more screaming pre-teen and teen girls. It's like we didn't have enough and will be blessed with more. I have to thank our musical savior Simon Cowell for bestowing this gift upon us.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 2001 on 07/14/17 at 4:01 pm

It all depends on how hot the guys are. If they're not, they'll flop. :P

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/14/17 at 5:43 pm

Uh...I thought it began a while ago. Is it gonna get worse?

Written By: John Titor on 07/14/17 at 6:02 pm

Uh...I thought it began a while ago. Is it gonna get worse?

possibly lol TRL is back as of today

qLnhgLk2IFE

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/14/17 at 7:43 pm

OH HELL YES! Just what we needed. More cheesy upbeat pop music is always a plus to me! No more of all this slow, emotional/sad pop mess.

Written By: John Titor on 07/14/17 at 8:28 pm

OH HELL YES! Just what we needed. More cheesy upbeat pop music is always a plus to me! No more of all this slow, emotional/sad pop mess.

:D ;D

Written By: #Infinity on 07/15/17 at 9:33 pm

You know, between early Robyn, S Club 7, Debbie Gibson, Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, East 17, Lesley Gore, and a handful of others, there's actually quite a bit of teen pop that I genuinely love. The genre certainly isn't in its best state these days, however.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/15/17 at 11:42 pm

You know, between early Robyn, S Club 7, Debbie Gibson, Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, East 17, Lesley Gore, and a handful of others, there's actually quite a bit of teen pop that I genuinely love. The genre certainly isn't in its best state these days, however.

I didn't truly appreciate Robyn until Body Talk? Why can't teen pop sound like Dancing On My Own and Call Your Girlfriend? Why does it have to sound so hokey?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/17/17 at 11:17 am

We've been in a teen pop era since 2013, with artists like One Direction and Ariana Grande.  I am not sure we are ready for another one.  There will always be teen pop, but the mid '10s have been defined by it and I don't see that continuing into the next decade.  Everything goes in cycles.

Written By: Dundee on 03/13/18 at 4:26 pm

So far it's actually quite the opposite, a big Teen Pop drought.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/13/18 at 5:19 pm

We've been in a teen pop era since 2013, with artists like One Direction and Ariana Grande.  I am not sure we are ready for another one.  There will always be teen pop, but the mid '10s have been defined by it and I don't see that continuing into the next decade.  Everything goes in cycles.

Yeah, I'd say 2013-2016 was more of a teen pop era, similar to the era of 1997-2000. The years that followed still had teen pop with the likes of Avril Lavigne, Ashlee Simpson, Skye Sweetnam, and O-town; but not as big as the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Britney Spears, and Christina Aguilera.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/13/18 at 5:35 pm

What we need is another female pop rock era. Michelle Branch, Ashlee Simpson, Avril, Skye Sweetnam, Liz Phair, Hilary Duff, P!nk not Ariana Grande teen pop.

Written By: Dundee on 03/13/18 at 5:39 pm

What we need is another female pop rock era. Michelle Branch, Ashlee Simpson, Avril, Skye Sweetnam, Liz Phair, Hilary Duff, P!nk not Ariana Grande teen pop.
Last time I saw one of these was actually Miley 10 years ago  ;D

Hr0Wv5DJhuk

I think I saw its premiere on Mtv back then

Written By: Wobo on 03/13/18 at 5:43 pm

I heard that their Canadian I guess we have to call it Eh? Pop or Canuck Pop for now on  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/13/18 at 5:50 pm

Rock is not popular as it once was. Rap and Pop are the dominant music genres and will most likely remain that way for decades.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/13/18 at 5:51 pm

I heard that their Canadian I guess we have to call it Eh? Pop or Canuck Pop for now on  ;D

Who? ???

Written By: 2001 on 03/13/18 at 6:08 pm

Lol I remember these guys cheesy ass MV from the other dead hahaha I died laughing. That thread was the greatest.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/13/18 at 7:54 pm

So I guess the supposed explosion was dud.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/13/18 at 8:21 pm

Vanessa Carlton
Jewel
Alanis Morrisette
Sarah Mclachlan
Meredith Brooks
Lisa Loeb
early Kelly Clarkson
Sophie Hawkins

That was the female-led, guitar-driven soft rock/AC era that began in the early-mid 90s and died out around 2004 or so. Some high-quality songwriting and production came out of that “phase”. Poppy enough to appeal to many people, but enough grit and originality to give many of those tracks the much-needed edge. 

Written By: HeyJealousy on 03/13/18 at 8:26 pm

Rock is not popular as it once was. Rap and Pop are the dominant music genres and will most likely remain that way for decades.

I agree. I guess I just want to see SOME soul to return to popular music.
Most trap and pop-EDM hits lack a very crucial ingredient in music: “soul”. It’s the same dull beat over the same dull lyrics, very few catchy hooks, zero originality, I’d hesitate to call today’s pop “pop”.
More like background noise.
Give me high-quality electronic pop or authentic, gritty rap and I’ll begin to regain faith in the music industry. I still feel as though we will undergo a music shift very soon. Could be in a few months, could be in 3 years, but it’s coming.

Written By: xenzue on 03/13/18 at 8:40 pm

Damn, everyone seems to be getting their predictions wrong, guess it's really hard to predict the future tbh. People were also predicting how JT would take off this year and regain popularity, but obviously we know how that worked out. His newest album was a massive flop. Also, I think its way too early for another teen pop explosion.

Written By: xenzue on 03/13/18 at 8:43 pm

I agree. I guess I just want to see SOME soul to return to popular music.

FACTS. Even this new wave of slow depressing music seems soulless. Shít sounds so overproduce and artificial. There's a lot of great music coming out now though, especially in the alternative R&B and alternative Hip Hop music scene. Some sources say Nicki Minaj's new album has a lot of gritty non-trap hip hop tracks which are a nod to her mixtape days. Maybe that could cause a shift in the mainstream.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/13/18 at 8:48 pm

Last time I saw one of these was actually Miley 10 years ago  ;D

Hr0Wv5DJhuk

I think I saw its premiere on Mtv back then

I've never been into Miley Cyrus.This is a little too kiddie for my tastes lol.

Vanessa Carlton
Jewel
Alanis Morrisette
Sarah Mclachlan
Meredith Brooks
Lisa Loeb
early Kelly Clarkson
Sophie Hawkins

That was the female-led, guitar-driven soft rock/AC era that began in the early-mid 90s and died out around 2004 or so. Some high-quality songwriting and production came out of that “phase”. Poppy enough to appeal to many people, but enough grit and originality to give many of those tracks the much-needed edge. 

Exactly. I absolutely adore the pop appeal these girls had but just enough edge to balance it out.

Written By: Dundee on 03/14/18 at 4:10 am

Vanessa Carlton
Jewel
Alanis Morrisette
Sarah Mclachlan
Meredith Brooks
Lisa Loeb
early Kelly Clarkson
Sophie Hawkins

Tbh I don't really miss those. Probably because they were in heavy rotation with my mother, so I got overly sick of it.

I can't stand this song in particular, which was all over the radio back in 2006/2007 and I had to constantly endure it on the way home 8-P:
Ra-Om7UMSJc

Written By: ofkx on 03/14/18 at 6:40 am

Teen pop officially died when one direction died in 2017. I don't think there even are any bands left (teen oriented or not) except for imagine dragons.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/14/18 at 6:57 am

Teen pop officially died when one direction died in 2017. I don't think there even are any bands left (teen oriented or not) except for imagine dragons.

Moron 5

Written By: John Titor on 03/14/18 at 10:45 am

Why dont we, pretty much

Written By: Dundee on 03/14/18 at 10:52 am

Coldplay

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/19 at 8:34 am

Ah yes classic John Titor's predictions. Two years in hindsight, and the late 2010s have turned to be one of biggest Teen Pop droughts in quite some time, making this thread even funnier.

edit: 1997th post ayyy

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/01/19 at 3:13 pm

Ah yes classic John Titor's predictions. Two years in hindsight, and the late 2010s have turned to be one of biggest Teen Pop droughts in quite some time, making this thread even funnier.

edit: 1997th post ayyy

Its massively ironic, because his (or her...... to this day I really don't know) name was 'John Titor'. Ya know, the guy that famously predicted back in 2000 the future of the Late 2000s and 2010s and how we would be in a civil war.

Written By: Dundee on 06/08/19 at 4:20 pm

When I think about it, it's actually kind of weird the charts are currently not invaded by boy bands. You would think the US or UK would launch its own line of boy bands inspired by the recent k-pop obsession among the teens but guess it's not happening? ???

Written By: LooseBolt on 06/09/19 at 5:46 am

Its massively ironic, because his (or her...... to this day I really don't know) name was 'John Titor'. Ya know, the guy that famously predicted back in 2000 the future of the Late 2000s and 2010s and how we would be in a civil war.

And we kind of almost are, so hey, almost correct! Clearly John Titor has approximate knowledge of many things. ;D

Written By: rapplepop on 06/21/19 at 10:43 pm

When I think about it, it's actually kind of weird the charts are currently not invaded by boy bands. You would think the US or UK would launch its own line of boy bands inspired by the recent k-pop obsession among the teens but guess it's not happening? ???

How popular is Kpop really in the US anyway? I mean I've heard of BTS but I don't hear Kpop on the radio, or in public so it can't be that popular.

Written By: 2012emo on 06/22/19 at 9:11 am

How popular is Kpop really in the US anyway? I mean I've heard of BTS but I don't hear Kpop on the radio, or in public so it can't be that popular.

You've obviously never had to deal with obnoxious BTS stans ;D 8-P

Written By: 2001 on 06/22/19 at 10:51 am

It's popular here in Toronto.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/22/19 at 12:38 pm

I’ve never heard anyone talking about k-pop in the UK, but I guess I’m not the target audience (24, male). I also don’t know any teenagers (on a personal level anyway).

There was a brief boy band comeback in the UK in the late 2000s with the likes of JLS.

Written By: rapplepop on 06/22/19 at 4:25 pm

You've obviously never had to deal with obnoxious BTS stans ;D 8-P

BTS sounds like a sandwich, not a band.  ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/24/19 at 1:02 am

BTS and Blackpink has charted on the Billboard 100 but I still feel like the US audience aren't picking Kpop up nearly as much as the industry wants. Americans are famously biased towards the English language. Demographic shifts are mainly to blame for popular Spanish songs imo, and even then, you'd think they would still be more popular than it is.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/25/19 at 6:07 pm

Teen pop definitely had a shot of coming back in 2017 but now not so much. It just goes to show you can't always predict the future. A lot of people thought Rock was going to be mainstream again that year but that's wasn't the case.

Check for new replies or respond here...