inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think about these artists/groups?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/14/17 at 5:05 pm

So since the summer began, I have been listening to these artists or groups to see if the music is breaking from the mid-10s style, and to check out newer musicians as well. So far, I have listened to Russ, Blackbear, Khalid, Post-Malone, Logic, Niykee Heaton, Halsey, Daya, Alessia Cara, Camila (Solo from 5th Harmony), Hailee Steinfeld, Shawn Mendes, Tinashe, Bebe Rexha, Astrid S, Dua Lipa, Marian Hill, Zara Larsson, Julia Michaels and Sabrina Carpertner (Girl from GMW),

Subject: Re: What do you think about these artists/groups?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/17 at 6:57 am

I like Shawn Mendes' stuff, and Alessia Cara too.

The rest?  Never heard of 'em.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/17 at 8:15 am

So since the summer began, I have been listening to these artists or groups to see if the music is breaking from the mid-10s style, and to check out newer musicians as well. So far, I have listened to Russ, Blackbear, Khalid, Post-Malone, Logic, Niykee Heaton, Halsey, Daya, Alessia Cara, Camila (Solo from 5th Harmony), Hailee Steinfeld, Shawn Mendes, Tinashe, Bebe Rexha, Astrid S, Dua Lipa, Marian Hill, Zara Larsson, Julia Michaels and Sabrina Carpertner (Girl from GMW),
Never heard of 'em.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/15/17 at 11:46 am

Heard of most of 'em.
I don't care for any of them (all seem to fit in the mid-2010s mold pretty well), sans Julia Michaels, her hit single "Problems" is... I can't put my finger on it, but it's tolerable, it's pretty solid.
If I were to name: Weezer, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Everclear, Teenage Fanclub, Toad The Wet Sprocket, The Counting Crows, Barenaked Ladies, Dave Matthews Band, Pavement, Better Than Ezra and Third Eye Blind.... how much of that would you know off the top of your head?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/15/17 at 3:31 pm

"Issues", not "Problems". Sry.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/15/17 at 6:10 pm

If I were to name: Weezer, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Everclear, Teenage Fanclub, Toad The Wet Sprocket, The Counting Crows, Barenaked Ladies, Dave Matthews Band, Pavement, Better Than Ezra and Third Eye Blind.... how much of that would you know off the top of your head?

The ones in bold are the bands I know of.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/15/17 at 7:39 pm

The ones in bold are the bands I know of.

You know Better Than Ezra and Everclear but you haven't heard of Dave Matthews?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/15/17 at 8:18 pm

Heard of most of 'em.
I don't care for any of them (all seem to fit in the mid-2010s mold pretty well), sans Julia Michaels, her hit single "Problems" is... I can't put my finger on it, but it's tolerable, it's pretty solid.
The ones in bold for the bands, and you should give the rest a chance considering that the mid-10s style is about to change somewhat.

I like Shawn Mendes' stuff, and Alessia Cara too.

The rest?  Never heard of 'em.
That's good. I would recommend giving the rest a chance if you're up for it.

Never heard of 'em.
Would you be willing to give them a try? ;)

Written By: HeyJealousy on 07/15/17 at 9:29 pm

The ones in bold for the bands, and you should give the rest a chance considering that the mid-10s style is about to change somewhat.
That's good. I would recommend giving the rest a chance if you're up for it.
Would you be willing to give them a try? ;)

Alright, I'll give 'em a listen. What makes you reckon the mid-'10s style is *about* to change? Any observations you've made that the rest of us haven't?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/15/17 at 9:57 pm

Alright, I'll give 'em a listen. What makes you reckon the mid-'10s style is *about* to change? Any observations you've made that the rest of us haven't?
The music and the lyrics. Most of the artists I mentioned don't sound hipster, and the melody is slower. Plus, the lyrics themselves seem to be more realistic from the artist's POV.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/15/17 at 10:52 pm

I know of the people in bold and with the exception of Logic....I've heard at least 1 song from them.

I've heard of the bands in bold.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/15/17 at 11:02 pm

I know of the people in bold and with the exception of Logic....I've heard at least 1 song from them.
Do you think music is changing with the likes of the artists I mentioned?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/15/17 at 11:08 pm

Do you think music is changing with the likes of the artists I mentioned?

I don't know, I haven't notice much difference in music yet.

Written By: 2001 on 07/15/17 at 11:53 pm

I heard of the ones in bold. I don't particularly like them, except DJ Khalid and Camila (she was great in Fifth Harmony and the recent song with Pitbull). Tinashe was good in that Britney Spears song, but personally, I preferred the version without her in it, lol. Shawn Mendes is a weird one. Usually, I make an effort to at least pretend I like an artist if they're Canadian (like I can with Alessia Cara), but his songs straight up annoy me. I can't do it. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 12:09 am

I heard of the ones in bold. I don't particularly like them, except DJ Khalid and Camila (she was great in Fifth Harmony and the recent song with Pitbull). Tinashe was good in that Britney Spears song, but personally, I preferred the version without her in it, lol. Shawn Mendes is a weird one. Usually, I make an effort to at least pretend I like an artist if they're Canadian (like I can with Alessia Cara), but his songs straight up annoy me. I can't do it. ;D

Khalid is not DJ Khaled, lol. Search Khalid up ;D.

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/17 at 12:33 am

Khalid is not DJ Khaled, lol. Search Khalid up ;D.

:-[ Whoops. I looked him up, he sounds decent. DJ Khaled was on my mind because I heard his song "Wild Thoughts" for the first time yesterday, the one featuring Rihanna. Now that's a hot track!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 12:51 am

:-
DJ Khaled was on my mind because I heard his song "Wild Thoughts" for the first time yesterday, the one featuring Rihanna. Now that's a hot track!

You got that right! 8)

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/16/17 at 2:48 am

I've only heard:

Khalid: I'm very unimpressed by what I've heard so far. I'm not getting his appeal at all.

Post Malone: Weirdly enough, I get his appeal. I've never listened to his music by my own hand but I never hate it when he comes on the radio and really, that's all I ask from mainstream music. I've also seen interviews with him and he seems like a pretty genuine guy. It's hard to see him lasting in the mainstream very long tho.

Logic: His music sounds good at first but there's something weirdly generic about him. He sounds like generic conscious hip-hop. Still, I don't dislike him as much as I dislike most trap rappers but I don't know how I'd feel if he became Top 40 material.

Halsey: her music is the embodiment of mid-late pop 2010s music. I'm not saying she's good or bad. For the most part, I find her boring.

Alessa Cara: I like her but she needs better producers and song writers.

Hailee Steinfeld: another artist whose music embodies mid-late 2010s pop. I find her livelier and listenable than Halsey tho. Now that I think about it, the worst thing about most 2010s pop stars is that they have no character. They have no story. I don't know who they are. Steinfeld is okay but I don't "get" her.

Sabrina Carpenter: while I haven't found a song from her that I find particularly repeatable, she is a nice step from quintessential 2010s pop music.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/16/17 at 3:33 pm

Shawn Mendes is amazingly talented, and I love his singing voice.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/16/17 at 8:53 pm

I've only heard:

Khalid: I'm very unimpressed by what I've heard so far. I'm not getting his appeal at all.

Post Malone: Weirdly enough, I get his appeal. I've never listened to his music by my own hand but I never hate it when he comes on the radio and really, that's all I ask from mainstream music. I've also seen interviews with him and he seems like a pretty genuine guy. It's hard to see him lasting in the mainstream very long tho.

Logic: His music sounds good at first but there's something weirdly generic about him. He sounds like generic conscious hip-hop. Still, I don't dislike him as much as I dislike most trap rappers but I don't know how I'd feel if he became Top 40 material.

Halsey: her music is the embodiment of mid-late pop 2010s music. I'm not saying she's good or bad. For the most part, I find her boring.

Alessa Cara: I like her but she needs better producers and song writers.

Hailee Steinfeld: another artist whose music embodies mid-late 2010s pop. I find her livelier and listenable than Halsey tho. Now that I think about it, the worst thing about most 2010s pop stars is that they have no character. They have no story. I don't know who they are. Steinfeld is okay but I don't "get" her.

Sabrina Carpenter: while I haven't found a song from her that I find particularly repeatable, she is a nice step from quintessential 2010s pop music.
Khalid: I think it has to with that he's just getting started

PM: Yeah, he seems genuine; however, I agree that could disappear from the mainstream by 2020.

Logic: Maybe you would feel good. The top 40 definitely needs a change.

Halsey & HS: That could change for both of them as the decade transitions from the middle to the end.

AC: Me too! She's good and she will definitely get better producers and song writers. as she progresses.

SC: Yeah, I have listened to some of her osngs of her from Pandora, and I agree with you. I hope she continues that style away from the quintessential 2010s.

Shawn Mendes is amazingly talented, and I love his singing voice.
Yeah, I agree! He's pretty good.

I don't know, I haven't noticed much difference in music yet.

I heard of the ones in bold. I don't particularly like them, except Khalid and Camila (she was great in Fifth Harmony and the recent song with Pitbull). Tinashe was good in that Britney Spears song, but personally, I preferred the version without her in it, lol. Shawn Mendes is a weird one. Usually, I make an effort to at least pretend I like an artist if they're Canadian (like I can with Alessia Cara), but his songs straight up annoy me. I can't do it. ;D
Have you checked out the ones you didn't bold yet?

Written By: Brian06 on 07/16/17 at 8:54 pm

I've heard quite a few of em. (Alessia Cara, Halsey, Daya, Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes, Zara Larsson, Julia Michaels, Hailee Steinfeld, Tinashe) Never heard of Blackbear, Russ, Khalid, Post-Malone, etc. I guess I've vaguely heard of Niykee Heaton too, she had that one song but she's not really too well known at all. Heard Sabrina Carpenter's name before and know she was on some Disney show, but I have no clue about her music. A lot of those aren't all that new actually, they've been around a few years. I like some songs by the people I've heard of. That "Hide Away" song by Daya was a song I liked like a year or two ago. Halsey has a couple good songs I know like "Now or Never" or "New Americana", she has an interesting sound. I liked "Lush Life" by Zara again that was like a year or so ago or something. "Crying in the Club" by Camilla Cabello is more brand new and that's pretty decent. "Starving" by Hailee Steinfeld was also a favorite like last year.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/16/17 at 9:07 pm

Tinashe is good too she sorta reminds me of the r&b pop stuff I grew up loving. 17 year old me used to go crazy for that kind of music.  :D "2 On" which is from 2014 sounds more 2000s than 2010s to me. "2 On" probably would have been much bigger in like 2004 or something.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/16/17 at 9:20 pm

Round 2!

Have you all heard: Little Mix, Becky G, Zendaya, Meghan Trainor, Tink, Kiiara, Kehlani, James Arthur, Rebecca Black (she had a terrible first song), Tove Lo, 6lack, 21 Savage, Lil Uzi Vert, Bea Miller, Ruth B, Tori Kelly, Bryson Tiller, Madisyn Bailey, Gnash and Olivia O'Brien? I know some mentioned aren't exactly new, but it seems their music don't play played as much.

I've heard quite a few of em. (Alessia Cara, Halsey, Daya, Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes, Zara Larsson, Julia Michaels, Hailee Steinfeld, Tinashe) Never heard of Blackbear, Russ, Khalid, Post-Malone, etc. I guess I've vaguely heard of Niykee Heaton too, she had that one song but she's not really too well known at all. Heard Sabrina Carpenter's name before and know she was on some Disney show, but I have no clue about her music. A lot of those aren't all that new actually, they've been around a few years. I like some songs by the people I've heard of. That "Hide Away" song by Daya was a song I liked like a year or two ago. Halsey has a couple good songs I know like "Now or Never" or "New Americana", she has an interesting sound. I liked "Lush Life" by Zara again that was like a year or so ago or something. "Crying in the Club" by Camilla Cabello is more brand new and that's pretty decent. "Starving" by Hailee Steinfeld was also a favorite of last year.
That's good that you have heard some of them. Do you think they could all change the course in the next few months or years? It seems that some of them don't that typical mid 10s musical style. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/16/17 at 9:23 pm

Tinashe is good too she sorta reminds me of the r&b pop stuff I grew up loving. 17 year old me used to go crazy for that kind of music.  :D "2 On" which is from 2014 sounds more 2000s than 2010s to me. "2 On" probably would have been much bigger in like 2004 or something.
Yeah, me too! I listened to a few of her songs, and she's pretty good. I hope she makes it mainstream soon.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/16/17 at 9:25 pm

Round 2!

Have you all heard: Little Mix, Becky G, Zendaya, Meghan Trainor, Tink, Kiiara, Kehlani, James Arthur, Rebecca Black (she had a terrible first song), Tove Lo, 6lack, 21 Savage, Lil Uzi Vert, Bea Miller, Ruth B, Tori Kelly, Bryson Tiller, Madisyn Bailey, Gnash and Olivia O'Brien? I know some mentioned aren't exactly new, but it seems their music don't play played as much.
That's good that you have heard some of the,m. Do you think they could all change the course in the next few months or years? It seems that some of them don't that typical mid 10s musical style.

Oh yeah I know Bebe Rexha too, idk she's very mid 2010s I think. But yeah some of the others I talked about are more unique but idk, it's hard to say.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/16/17 at 9:32 pm

Out of the other list I've heard (in bold):

Little Mix, Becky G, Zendaya, Meghan Trainor, Tink, Kiiara, Kehlani, James Arthur, Rebecca Black (she had a terrible first song), Tove Lo, 6lack, 21 Savage, Lil Uzi Vert, Bea Miller, Ruth B, Tori Kelly, Bryson Tiller, Madisyn Bailey, Gnash and Olivia O'Brien?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/16/17 at 9:44 pm

Oh yeah I know Bebe Rexha too, idk she's very mid 2010s I think. But yeah some of the others I talked about are more unique but idk, it's hard to say.
Well, I really hope the music scene changes soon. Most of the mid 10s music was stale.

Out of the other list I've heard (in bold):

Little Mix, Becky G, Zendaya, Meghan Trainor, Tink, Kiiara, Kehlani, James Arthur, Rebecca Black (she had a terrible first song), Tove Lo, 6lack, 21 Savage, Lil Uzi Vert, Bea Miller, Ruth B, Tori Kelly, Bryson Tiller, Madisyn Bailey, Gnash and Olivia O'Brien?
Oh that's great :)

For the ones on not bolded, there are a few listed who are rappers while the others are somewhat a one hit wonder. I would give Ruth B and Tink a chance considering they're both R&B. I think I remember hearing that's one of your favorite genres.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 9:47 pm

I've heard of (the ones in BOLD):

BTW, Tori Kelly is my wife :D.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/16/17 at 9:51 pm

Well, I really hope the music scene changes soon. Most of the mid 10s music was stale.
Oh that's great :)

For the ones on not bolded, there are a few listed who are rappers while the others are somewhat a one hit wonder. I would give Ruth B and Tink a chance considering they're both R&B. I think I remember hearing that's one of your favorite genres.

Yeah I'll check those out. Yeah I like r&b pop, think Destiny's Child/Beyonce and TLC and Ashanti. "Baby Boy" by Beyonce is one of my favorite songs for example. ;D Oh yeah and Rihanna...I mean I pretty much worshipped Rihanna for years as some people on here may remember. "Disturbia" is still amazing to this day.  :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/16/17 at 9:58 pm

I've heard of (the ones in BOLD):

BTW, Tori Kelly is my wife :D.
I take it you have heard her album?

Yeah I'll check those out. Yeah I like r&b pop, think Destiny's Child/Beyonce and TLC and Ashanti. "Baby Boy" by Beyonce is one of my favorite songs for example. ;D Oh yeah and Rihanna...I mean I pretty much worshipped Rihanna for years as some people on here may remember. "Disturbia" is still amazing to this day.  :D
Oh me too! Yeah, there are lots of songs from that genre that I enjoy :)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/16/17 at 9:58 pm

My Rihanna obsession actually got to the point around circa 2008 was the worst of it where it started annoying a lot of my friends, they were all like "STFU about Rihanna already".  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 9:59 pm

I take it you have heard her album?

Yeah, only like one song though. Too bad that she hasn't become a star.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/16/17 at 10:35 pm

My Rihanna obsession actually got to the point around circa 2008 was the worst of it where it started annoying a lot of my friends, they were all like "STFU about Rihanna already".  ;D
Do you still have an obsession of her?

Yeah, only like one song though. Too bad that she hasn't become a star.
Was it should have been us?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/17 at 10:43 pm

Was it should have been us?

I believe so.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/16/17 at 11:19 pm

I believe so.
I heard that song before. It's pretty good. I hope she can make it to the mainstream in the future.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/17/17 at 12:04 pm

Do you still have an obsession of her?

Not as much anymore, I sort of got tired of her over time I guess. But really I just have more perspective now, Rihanna is just some multi millionaire that could care less about me. So generally it's like I'm less enthusiastic about singers in general. I still like doses of pop music, but I don't get obsessed anymore.

Written By: BornIn86 on 07/18/17 at 2:24 am

That's funny. 2008 was the year I actually started to appreciate Rihanna. Her most popular singles that year sounded refined and sophisticated compared to her earlier singles.

Written By: 2001 on 07/18/17 at 5:15 pm

That's funny. 2008 was the year I actually started to appreciate Rihanna. Her most popular singles that year sounded refined and sophisticated compared to her earlier singles.

Every time it rained and people brought their umbrellas, they would sing the song. That went on for about 6 or 7 years.

And then that cake song in 2011 got sang whenever anyone ate cake. That one died down pretty quickly though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/18/17 at 5:30 pm

Not as much anymore, I sort of got tired of her over time I guess. But really I just have more perspective now, Rihanna is just some multi millionaire that could care less about me. So generally it's like I'm less enthusiastic about singers in general. I still like doses of pop music, but I don't get obsessed anymore.
Do you still listen to her?

You two were so late ;D

I appreciated Rihanna just when she began her career.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/27/17 at 6:27 pm

I'm listening to this Dua Lipa song now, this is a pretty good song actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qgadSvNyU

Check for new replies or respond here...